The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sometimes you should take the first offer... A story about trying to buy a Mclaren

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I thought people here would get a kick out of my story on trying to buy this Mclaren.

So back on August 30th, I walked in the dealer to test drive this car. They had just listed it at $134,999. They had just got it and their online listing didn't even have photos yet.

They gave me the you can't test drive it until you have a signed offer speech. Fine, I offered $125,000. They said they could only do $132,999. So I walked. I'd also venture to guess that the manager probably didn't think I was a serious buyer.

About a month later I saw the price lowered to $133,999. I called them and said my $125k offer still stands. They said no.

Sometime around October they lowered it to $129,999. I called and offered them $120k. They said that they could NOW accept my original offer of $125k.

I started saving these screenshots after I kept seeing the price go down below my offer.

Now, I have this car saved in my cars.com app so I get a notification every time they lower the price. In November, I get the notification that the car is now listed at $124,999. I call them and offer $115k. They of course say no.

In December I bought another Mclaren from elsewhere.

IMG_3128 (1).PNG

On January 1st, they lower it to $116,399.

IMG_3027.PNG
And today they lowered it to $114,999. The price I offered them in late November.

IMG_312a7.jpg

I wonder what they will finally get for this car. I wonder if they would take $105k now?

Just think, they could have sold the car in less than a week at $125k in August. Or $115k in November. Now it's February and it's still sitting there taking up space and capital.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Had a similar situation when looking for a new car for my wife (although about 1/3rd of this budget). I went back and forth with a bunch of sales reps online and everyone just wanted to set an appointment to come in and close me at their sales price vs having anything to do with my "offers" I was throwing them. Once the right guy took my offer serious I went in and got a pretty solid deal at about $8k below the lowest price anyone else would agree to as long as I came in that day and paid for it. Then the next few days were fun to reply to all the other sales reps when they reached out to see if I was "serious" about coming in to buy and telling them I already bought at a much lower price.

Congrats on the purchase again and keep updating the thread for where it finally sells ;)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
My wife was set on a certain Honda CRV so we went in and as far as I was concerned, got screwed. From a business stand point, I know that if they finance the car, the dealer can actually make the % rate higher than the loan company and that is why they do not like for you to buy the car out-right. But when I am buying a vehicle for myself, if they do not want to deal.... I have no problem walking. Needless to say, we paid full price (no financing) and she was happy and we drove that piece of crap to Miami a few days later.... my back KILLED me for a month.... but she was happy. Have you noticed I hate that thing? :)

Personally, I'm like you biophase, I can walk out and it won't bother me a bit. Hopefully you like your new car and maybe even better than the one they wouldn't sell you. Maybe it had a problem and you wasn't suppose to buy it. By the way, can we see a picture of the one you bought?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My wife was set on a certain Honda CRV so we went in and as far as I was concerned, got screwed. From a business stand point, I know that if they finance the car, the dealer can actually make the % rate higher than the loan company and that is why they do not like for you to buy the car out-right. But when I am buying a vehicle for myself, if they do not want to deal.... I have no problem walking. Needless to say, we paid full price (no financing) and she was happy and we drove that piece of crap to Miami a few days later.... my back KILLED me for a month.... but she was happy. Have you noticed I hate that thing? :)

Personally, I'm like you biophase, I can walk out and it won't bother me a bit. Hopefully you like your new car and maybe even better than the one they wouldn't sell you. Maybe it had a problem and you wasn't suppose to buy it. By the way, can we see a picture of the one you bought?

The one I got is in my avatar.:)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Give me a break... I'm getting old. lmao I didn't even notice. :hilarious:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
i love the "no haggle" "one price" dealership craze now :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just think, they could have sold the car in less than a week at $125k in August. Or $115k in November. Now it's February and it's still sitting there taking up space and capital.

Same thing happened with me and the Raptor. They came off asking just a 1 grand on my offer then I walked when they said it was the "tonight only" price, as if it were a deal.

A week later the Cars.com app showed they lowered the price and so I offered even less and ended up getting it. Watching your target car on the Cars.com app looks to pay off if one is patient.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Kak - don't you have a similar story, about a house I think?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak - don't you have a similar story, about a house I think?

Indeed. I stole my home. I eventually, after a back and forth like above, got my home for about $100k less than the original asking price and $75k less than my first offer.

In my case it had to be total incompetence or inexperience on the listing agent's part. I was in no hurry to give up my rental so the whole process wasted 7 month's of the seller's time and money too. Several times they lowered the list below a previous offer of mine and never bothered to reach back out.

Last edited:

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
This is a really interesting story... I've been looking at listed Kia Stinger (that's pretty much the best I can do with my budget) for a little while, I wonder what kind of deals I could get on these lower margin cars.

I'll have to start shopping around and poking sellers to lower their prices.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This is a really interesting story... I've been looking at listed Kia Stinger (that's pretty much the best I can do with my budget) for a little while, I wonder what kind of deals I could get on these lower margin cars.

I'll have to start shopping around and poking sellers to lower their prices.

The GT2 is pretty sweet. I've seen a few around PHX and I love the body styling.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bahaha, almost makes ya wanna call em and rub it in. Maybe someone should anonymously send them the link. They lost at least $15K due to greed and stubbornness.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bahaha, almost makes ya wanna call em and rub it in. Maybe someone should anonymously send them the link. They lost at least $15K due to greed and stubbornness.

Well, I am in a Chicago now. I could stop in for a visit.

At this rate, the car will go for under $100k. It’s biggest issue is that it has an aftermarket exhaust so it can’t get a Mclaren extended warranty.

Get this, they said I would have to buy a stock exhaust, pay them to install it and then pay for an inspection in order to have the privilege to pay for a warranty.

You think they would have just done that themselves last year to sell the car faster.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.