The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Some great motivation from a post I read a few days ago

Anything related to matters of the mind

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
I am subscribed to James Altucher's newsletter and he's an author, entrepreneur, hedge fund manager and blogger. A few days ago I received one of his newsletters that was titled "One page a day might save your life". I haven't really been subscribed to his newsletter for that long but that post was really motivational and gave me a lot of inspiration. I wanted to share what he wrote just to give you guys some motivation as well.

This is the story I told my two little girls when they were just babies.
“Daddy, tell us a story.”

Gene Wolfe needed to fit a baked potato into a tennis ball can. Imagine if you were given that assignment at work. What would you do?
He crushed the potato into powder and then baked it into thin slices, and fit the thin slices into a tennis ball can. Then he put a bit of salt on, a bit of sugar, dusted it with fat, and maybe a little flavoring.
He called them… Pringles.

This is no joke: the man who was initially given the task ended up in a mental institution and Gene took over the job. The greatest food known to mankind. If aliens came down and had a BBQ Pringle they would conclude we were a highly intelligent race. Gene Wolfe would be my hero just for this. But then Gene decided his life’s mission was not yet over. He had much more to do. While many normal human beings not as obsessed with status and creativity as Gene was might say: “OK, I just did my life’s achievement. I’ve achieved my PURPOSE. I’ve created an easily stored food based on a vegetable that, when doused with a ton of salt, will please children and adults for decades, maybe centuries.” I mean, what would you do at that point?

If I were Gene, I would’ve rested on my laurels, collected awards, played golf with friends, can of Pringles always in tow, maybe a little belly develops but hey, I deserved it. I would have EARNED it. But Gene knew the magic secret. And it is only with his lifetime (and at 87 he’s still going) that he is able to share that secret. The secret: One page a day.
Gene has been an adult for almost 25,000 days. He writes a page a day. A page is about 300 words. A paragraph or two. Can you do that? 25,000 pages. About 80 books worth of pages. Sit down and think of the worst thing that happened to you in the past week. That’s at least a paragraph or two.

Gene ended up writing 50 published novels, including many bestsellers and award winners.
He didn’t get stereotyped and stuffed into that Pringles can. As dead as the chips he created. Even though that was the pinnacle of his engineering career.
Instead, at the age of 40(!) he totally changed careers and became one of the best known science fiction writers ever.
He did what he loved to do. That’s what keeps you alive every day. That’s the Push. Life is just an invitation every day to reinvent yourself. I was talking to James Manos, the creator of Dexter. He said, “My definition of success is if you can’t distinguish between work and pleasure.”
It’s OK if right now the two are separate for you.
We repent what we want to change. We regret what we never changed.
This is my page today.

Sincerely,
James Altucher

The constant pursuit to improve yourself and to take a step everyday towards whatever it is you want to achieve is great mindset in my opinion and will take you very far if you're really serious about it. I hope you that this post was helpful! Have great day! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.