The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So WTF are NFTs all about? Buying JPGs? Why can't you just right-click save? Is this a giant ponzi? Far from it...

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
New NFT PVP game releasing soon:

View: https://twitter.com/missingfrontier/status/1436369337967947779

Not suggesting anybody ape into this - but just letting y'all know I personally have.

Look into the documentation + Discord channel to learn more if you're interested in joining the party.
Some of the avatar designs look similar to the ones that I’ve seen in the RTFKT leak discord channel! Maybe they’re working together?

As for the Epic vs Apple in South Korea, Epic asked Apple to be reinstated in the App Store in South Korea (using their own payment system instead of Apple’s) and Apple’s response was that in the end, we determine who gets developer licenses and who doesn’t.

That last sentence is not good. Basically, if Apple is required to let people choose their own payment system, they can still flat-out deny the people who don’t plan on using their payment system.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Where do I subscribe to your newsletter, Ace? Providing some awesome value and distillation of info.

This move against Apple I feel is super helpful for the crypto industry, for sure!

Right here on this forum fam - I don't want any of your money or to have you on an email list to shill you anything.

Everything I learn I am willing to share with yall for free.

No pay walls or secret societies here - just a desire to lead an Unscripted life and to lead as many of my peers as I can along with me.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
That last sentence is not good. Basically, if Apple is required to let people choose their own payment system, they can still flat-out deny the people who don’t plan on using their payment system.

This is also good news. Resistance and friction leads to the emergence of new solutions.

The battle is far from over - but we're headed in the right direction.

People are waking up.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
It's really cool how you're able to tokenize a community. For example, I recently purchased a Metaverse HQ Key which gave me INSIDERS access into a Discord community. Imagine if you NFT the fastlaneforum's INSIDERS membership. The only way a user would have access is if they have an NFT token. Later on if a community member wants to leave the INSIDERS, they can sell their token to another person and that person would then have access to the INSIDERS!

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
Later on if a community member wants to leave the INSIDERS, they can sell their token to another person and that person would then have access to the INSIDERS!
So if let's say I lead a group of hand picked individuals that all earn +500k a year that talk about hustling, international travel and other decentralized topics - and you decide to sell your token and leave - do I get to decide who you sell that token to or do you?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
So if let's say I lead a group of hand picked individuals that all earn +500k a year that talk about hustling, international travel and other decentralized topics - and you decide to sell your token and leave - do I get to decide who you sell that token to or do you?
I don't think so? The whole point is ownership. The person who bought that token is now the owner of the token, therefore they're given the option of selling it. Maybe you can program your token that way though? But by allowing owners of the tokens to sell their tokens, it opens an entirely new market.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
I don't think so? The whole point is ownership. The person who bought that token is now the owner of the token, therefore they're given the option of selling it. Maybe you can program your token that way though? But by allowing owners of the tokens to sell their tokens, it opens an entirely new market.
What i'm getting at is that if I use a NFT as an authentication method for my community I have lost access to deciding who can become part of it - because you have the authentication token and you can sell it to someone I don't want as part of my selective community.

This devalues the group and I have lost access to ensuring it's quality.

Private communities are often trying to mitigate the eternal September effect and part of what makes the few elite groups that exist worthwhile is verified and validated members.

Also, if I use a token as a means of authentication to my community can I remove members if they own a token they paid for? How does that work? Can I revoke access or invalidate the token they paid 10K for?

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
What i'm getting at is that if I use a NFT as an authentication method for my community I have lost access to deciding who can become part of it - because you have the authentication token and you can sell it to someone I don't want as part of my selective community.

Bingo, that's the point! Top down vs bottom up.

This devalues the group and I have lost access to ensuring it's quality.

I'll go back to one of the communities I'm active in to give you an example of how in practice, what you describe is not what happens, but instead the opposite happens!

I've redacted the brands name into [XYZ] so that nobody thinks I'm trying to shill them anything.

[XYZ] doesn't have a say on who gets to be a key holder. The members of the community that exchange access keys with each other on the secondary marketplaces determine that.

This has worked to the advantage of both [XYZ] as well as the participating members.

How so?

People that wish to be part of this community have to get this access key from other members that hold the key. Members that are willing to part ways from the community by giving up their key inherently don't have as much incentive to provide value into this community as the person that bought this access key for a large sum.

This phenomenon provides the "exclusivity" factor you're trying to replicate by yourself hand picking the members. Instead, it's economic incentive, engagement in the community, DESIRE to be part of the community, and alignment of the member's vision with the long term vision of the brand that make up the community.

[XYZ] could TRY to say hey, we only want so and so to be in our group and a part of our community. But by allowing the network itself to determine who the members ought to be, the people that value the brand the highest end up becoming long term access key holders, and thus access into the community becomes more and more exclusive.

Today, getting an [XYZ] access key for their upcoming project costs a minimum of ~$30,000. [XYZ] doesn't set this price. They gave away many of these keys to members of the community for sometimes as little as $1 and sometimes even for free! But the community values it so highly, and the people that wish to become part of the community value it so highly, that the exclusivity factor gets baked into the cost of membership.

Moreover, [XYZ] can continue to reward existing key holders by offering any new exclusive content to them to reward loyalty and participation. Sometimes even for free (which happens all the time in the case of [XYZ])

Also, if I use a token as a means of authentication to my community can I remove members if they own a token they paid for? How does that work? Can I revoke access or invalidate the token they paid 10K for?

The entire point is that no one person gets such power. This is the point of decentralization - to take the power from one person and put it in the hands of the many.

If you want, you certainly CAN construct mechanisms like this using consumable NFT smart contracts or building in other verification mechanisms to up your criteria for participation.

But imo it would be self defeating and against the values of the people in this space - you might find much fewer fans than brands that give ownership and power to their members.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
The members end up determining the value of the token. If the members don't see value in the group they're in, you can expect them to sell their tokens and the price of the token to fall. Likewise, if there is a ton of engagement and value in the group, the value and price of the token would go up because people wouldn't want to leave the group.

There's an additional advantage to this. Members expect that the group will continue to provide value. It's not a set-and-forget thing. If you want to keep the value of your token and or increase the value, be prepared to constantly find ways to improve the value your group offers.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
People that wish to be part of this community have to get this access key from other members that hold the key. Members that are willing to part ways from the community by giving up their key inherently don't have as much incentive to provide value into this community as the person that bought this access key for a large sum.
Well that's not very factual is it? This is your opinion that you are stating as fact by invoking the word 'inherently' to make it seem as though it's empirical.

My opinion is that whilst this is plausible, so too is it plausible that a nefarious adversary would pay a ‘large’ sum of money to gain access to my elite group to scrape the information to resell it and/or cause trouble.

This is a genuine attack vector.

>The entire point is that no one person gets such power. This is the point of decentralization - to take the power from one person and put it in the hands of the many.

Ah yes, the 'common ownership' chestnut – communism neatly wrapped up as freedom.

Look, I see the purpose, the fortunate thing for me is the NFT’s don’t yet govern our employment contracts nor are we forced to use them yet – the rest is simply a difference of philosophy to which endless debate would not resolve.

The issue I see on the Horizon is the rise of people that want to instill(by force) NFT smart contracts for all contractual agreements in society. And I think this shall be a war that your side shall win and power shall indeed be in some cases forcibly 'taken' from people that do not want to relinquish it and 'put in the hands of the many' as you put it.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Well that's not very factual is it? This is your opinion that you are stating as fact by invoking the word 'inherently' to make it seem as though it's empirical.

I'm actively involved within tokenized communities, and what I was illustrating to you is that in practice, what you fear is not what I'm seeing.

There is nothing factual and no real studies have been performed to evaluate the net benefits. Pure observation at this point.

You can theorize all you want. Or you can get your hands dirty, play with the thing, and see if there's any value there for you.

In my case, I've found tremendous value and I will continue to leverage this abstraction.

My opinion is that whilst this is plausible, so too is it plausible that a nefarious adversary would pay a ‘large’ sum of money to gain access to my elite group to scrape the information to resell it and/or cause trouble.

This is a genuine attack vector.

>The entire point is that no one person gets such power. This is the point of decentralization - to take the power from one person and put it in the hands of the many.

Ah yes, the 'common ownership' chestnut – communism neatly wrapped up as freedom.

Look, I see the purpose, the fortunate thing for me is the NFT’s don’t yet govern our employment contracts nor are we forced to use them yet – the rest is simply a difference of philosophy to which endless debate would not resolve.

The issue I see on the Horizon is the rise of people that want to instill(by force) NFT smart contracts for all contractual agreements in society. And I think this shall be a war that your side shall win and power shall indeed be in some cases forcibly 'taken' from people that do not want to relinquish it and 'put in the hands of the many' as you put it.

You can build your community however you wish.

You don't have to use NFTs or tokenize anything.

It's an abstraction layer that enables these sorts of functionality, but as I said, you can also program more specific features to build stronger walls around your community.

Just like you don't need to use the internet to do your branding and marketing. You can use flyers and go door to door. Nobody forced you to use the internet.

Has anybody put a gun to your head to build this way?

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
You can theorize all you want. Or you can get your hands dirty, play with the thing, and see if there's any value there for you..
Nobody forced you to use the internet..
Has anybody put a gun to your head to build this way?

I can see that you have perceived this as a personal attack, likely due to the way I wrote the reply to you - if this is the case then I assure you no personal attack was meant on my part.

I now understand the use case and the attack vectors and do not like it, but as I said that's a matter of personal philosophy that extends far beyond the realm of NFT.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I can see that you have perceived this as a personal attack, likely due to the way I wrote the reply to you - if this is the case then I assure you no personal attack was meant on my part.

No offense taken - and my apologies for my intensity. I do recognize it as one of my weaknesses and I continuously aim to have more open discussions without allowing my intensity to bleed into the conversation.

Thanks for having the patience to point it out kindly.

I now understand the use case and the attack vectors and do not like it, but as I said that's a matter of personal philosophy that extends far beyond the realm of NFT.

Roger - I respect that.

silent

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 19, 2020
Maybe this would have been better suited for the rant thread but I couldn't resist.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Tagging a few homies that have been intrigued by the ERC725 standard - I got some illuminating perspective for you today.

@MoneyDoc
@Ocean Man
@MTF
@Creed
@Frinys
@Bekit

In a previous post here I talked about two key elements that make blockchain-based NFT's incredibly powerful.

These are: Standardization and Interoperability.

Please refresh your memory before we move on.

Standardization
Traditional digital assets—from event tickets to domain names—have no unified representation in the digital world. A game likely represents its in-game collectibles in an entirely different way than an event ticketing system. By representing non-fungible tokens on public blockchains, developers can build common, reusable, inheritable standards relevant to all non-fungible tokens. These include such basic primitives as ownership, transfer, and simple access control. Additional standards (specifications for how to display an NFT, for example) can be layered on top for rich display inside of applications.

These are analogous to other building blocks of the digital world, like the JPEG or PNG file format for images, HTTP for requests between computers, and HTML / CSS for displaying content on the web. Blockchains add a layer on top that gives developers a brand new set of stateful primitives on which to build applications.

Interoperability

Non-fungible token standards allow non-fungible tokens to move easily across multiple ecosystems. When a developer launches a new NFT project, these NFTs are immediately viewable inside dozens of different wallet providers, tradeable on marketplaces, and, most recently, displayable inside of virtual worlds. This is possible because open standards provide a clear, consistent, reliable, and permissioned API for reading and writing data.

Alright! Glad to have you back. Now, why is this so important and why do I keep harping on it?

Many people fear that the current blockchains or the current NFTs are all just a scam, until some superior awesome government made and MIT certified, peer-reviewed technology comes out and shits on everybody's bags.

People often make the mistake of thinking superior tech wins out. But, there aren't many BlueRay or BetaMax left today. The point is that powerful standards that gain network effect go on to become incredibly useful pieces of infrastructure.

This is why today the ERC20 standard remains one of the most instantiated smart-contracts across the entire blockchain space.

Format Wars are nearly 100% won by network effect and not tech. This is why I keep harping on the standards and the technology stack that has the most network effect out there: today, this remains the ETH-based smart-contracts ERC20, ERC721, ERC1155. This is why I believe the inclusion of the ERC725 standard, which is entirely ETH-based and inherits the existing ETH network effect benefits, has huge potential.

If you don't believe me - go ahead and read a little bit about the different Format Wars that took place over the past few decades to understand HOW and WHY network-effect based standards ultimately win!

As always, I'll Frankenstein a couple of things from Format Wars and highlight the bangers. Importantly - I want to bring your attention to two format wars that I see as the most important, and how efficiency led to faster network effect and go on to succeed.

1. One is AC vs DC
  2. 3D Graphics APIs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A format war is a competition between similar but mutually incompatible technical standards that compete for the same market, such as for data storage devices and recording formats for electronic media. It is often characterized by political and financial influence on content publishers by the developers of the technologies. Developing companies may be characterized as engaging in a format war if they actively oppose or avoid interoperable open-industry technical standards in favor of their own.

A format war emergence can be explained because each vendor is trying to exploit cross-side network effects in a two-sided market. There is also a social force to stop a format war: when one of them wins as de facto standard, it solves a coordination problem[1] for the format users.

• Direct current vs. alternating current: The 1880s saw the spread of electric lighting with large utilities and manufacturing companies supplying it. The systems initially ran on direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC) with low voltage DC used for interior lighting and high voltage DC and AC running very bright exterior arc lighting.[2] With the invention of the AC transformer in the mid 1880s, alternating current could be stepped up in voltage for long range transmission and stepped down again for domestic use, making it a much more efficient transmission standard now directly competing with DC for the indoor lighting market. In the U.S. Thomas Edison's Edison Electric Light Company tried to protect its patent controlled DC market by playing on the public's fears of the dangers of high voltage AC, portraying their main AC competitor, George Westinghouse's Westinghouse Electric Company, as purveyors of an unsafe system, a back and forth financial and propaganda competition that came to be known as the war of the currents.[3] AC, with its more economic transmission would prevail, supplanting DC.

• 3D graphics APIs: DirectX vs. OpenGL vs. Glide API. In the latter half of the 1990s, as 3D graphics became more common and popular, several video formats were promoted by different vendors. The proliferation of standards (each having many versions with frequent and significant changes) led to great complexity, redundancy, and frustrating hardware and software compatibility issues. 3D graphics applications (such as games) attempted to support a variety of APIs with varying results, or simply supported only a single API. Moreover, the complexity of the emerging graphics pipeline (display adapter -> display adapter driver -> 3D graphics API -> application) led to a great number of incompatibilities, leading to unstable, underperforming, or simply inoperative software. Glide eventually dropped out of the war due to the only manufacturer supporting it — that is, 3dfx — ceasing production of their video cards.

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
Which is why the speculative NFTs value is so hard to grasp for most investors. Unless you can't contain your excitement around baseball cards and other similar collectibles, its digital counterparts make absolutely zero sense. Same if you don't care about showing off.

I mean, seriously, I can't NOT roll my eyes if someone is seriously thinking that it's impressive to "own" a piece of pixelated digital junk.

I can understand owning rare beautiful ancient/medieval art (its scarcity is real, not fabricated) but this? I'll be extremely surprised if cryptopunks and similar NFT silliness in a few years (or less) won't become another story of how people lost their life savings on something that in hindsight was so idiotic it's unbelievable.
Cryptos don't have much actual value, it's just a pump and dump Ponzi scheme promoted by the same people who control the MSM. The actual value of Bitcoin after the coming dump part of the scheme is probably $1,000

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Got my Ikonik-Karl 1/777 First edition NFT. The 1/77 Chrome version sold out in less than 3 seconds! It's on the Lukso blockchain so I won't be able to sell it until mainnet, but this is super cool! Love the AR aspect of it.
That's cool, how did you manage to snag it within 3 seconds of selling out? Is there a script you can use?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
We had a look at NFTs.
most nft offered are only anything without real value.
So yesterday we made some sound and grafic NFT to get into the theory.
And I think, that area is very interesting.
So imo you can invent enearly every wheel new. Like in the beginning of Internet.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
This is also good news. Resistance and friction leads to the emergence of new solutions.

The battle is far from over - but we're headed in the right direction.

People are waking up.

So an ETH-based wallet called Gnosis Safe is feuding with Apple - and it is pretty eye opening!

Apple claims they're denying service and this is their official excuse: Apps that facilitate storage or marketplaces for NFTs are prohibited on the Apple App Store.

But displaying ERC20 tokens is OK? What differentiates ERC20 between ERC721 or ERC1155?

The answer? These guys are aware of what's happening, and they're simply responding to SOMETHING. And that something, my friends, has got nothing to do with what they actually stated and everything to do with something you can find written in between the lines in the below quotes.

F*ck it I can't play cryptic games with y'all I'm too excited to tell you the answer:

Gnosis introduced a method to connect a hardware wallet to the iPhone using bluetooth! Now why is this a big deal? Because it's a critical step forward in ushering in user adoption of self-sovereign assets. Mobile devices are in everybody's pockets, so mobile devices connected to mobile hardware wallets wrecks the entire banking, fintech, AND big tech rails that are sitting at comfy returns while providing little value in exchange for what they're charging users.

This method of connecting and storing your assets EATS thru the App Store revenue - because that bitch sits at a ~80% profit margin, simply due to Apple forcing payments thru their own store, deciding payment providers, and essentially acting as an authority over HOW people transact with each other all while collecting a mean tax over everything that the community creates.

This is a BIG deal - it shows you that LEGACY technology is continuously battling with an EMERGENT technology that is far superior for the end-user. Who does this technology take away from? Centralized sources of power and funding. Who does this technology benefit? Individuals.

Like I said, the battle is far from over, but if you're paying attention - You'll notice that the forces at bay holding the gates shut will soon have to adapt or lose relevance. How so? Because users demand more access, more equality, more transparency, more efficiency, and most importantly, personal liberty. These are VALUES, they are IDEAS, and they have always existed. You cannot censor or regulate your way out of the inevitable.

Crypto will emerge winner. This is not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN. Because this technology is superior in all the ways the legacy tech is inferior, and the net-benefit to the global network of humans is a force that exceeds the power that a minority few are trying to hold onto for dear life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at this thread posted by one of the Gnosis guys who leads the product

Apple is blocking a release of our @gnosissafe mobile app because we display NFTs in it. After 2 weeks of back-and-forth, I felt that we need to talk publicly about this to raise awareness. See the thread for details and why this might affect other wallets and apps as well.

2 weeks ago, we submitted a new version of the Gnosis Safe Mobile app to the app store. Shortly after we got the following response.1631660817855.png

The update included a new way to connect a Ledger Nano X via Bluetooth to the app, so it had nothing to do with NFTs in the first place. We display user-owned NFTs in our app already for many months. Nevertheless, we answered the questions and outlined our NFT feature.

The next day we got this questionable response, basically saying that Apple does not allow apps, especially wallets, to display NFTs if they are not bought via in-app purchases.

1631660872457.png

Of course, we thought this was just a human issue. Maybe a junior reviewer made a mistake... So we tried explaining again. The answer: Apps that facilitate storage or marketplaces for NFTs are prohibited on the Apple App Store.

1631660887012.png

Finally, we tried resubmitting the update again with a clearer update description, hoping that we get another reviewer this time. But no luck...

1631660903033.png

This shows how access to Web3 still relies heavily on gatekeepers like Apple It's an industry problem, as the same arguments apply to any wallet displaying NFTs or games making use of NFTs We need to find better ways to make Web3 accessible on mobile permissionlessly

We will submit an appeal to the App Review Board and hope that they will reinterpret their policy when it comes to NFTs and that this is not just the first sign of Apple cracking down on NFTs completely.

Permissionless access to Web3 is core to our values, so we are willing to go the extra mile to clear this up. Simply removing NFTs from our app is definitely not an option for us.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
It's really cool how you're able to tokenize a community. For example, I recently purchased a Metaverse HQ Key which gave me INSIDERS access into a Discord community. Imagine if you NFT the fastlaneforum's INSIDERS membership. The only way a user would have access is if they have an NFT token. Later on if a community member wants to leave the INSIDERS, they can sell their token to another person and that person would then have access to the INSIDERS!
This is actually exactly how I intended to run a project I'm working on.
There is a massive barrier in place though., GAS FEES

when you start to sell or list a item you pay a ''gas fee'' which is essentially you paying for someone to pick your contract to be created. the fees fluctuate from demand of people wanting to use the network. This means you can try to sell something and it wants $400, close it get some coffee and come back to a $600 fee JUST TO LIST OR BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

Selling something for $30? someone first needs to register, and pay the gas fee to buy your item. Then if they ever want to sell it they need to pay again. Gas fees are insane for etherum right now.

So to buy something someone needs to
1: buy the crypto. That means opening a account and submitting documents or info to create the exchange account

2: send the crypto
Need to have metamask, a wallet or generally understand how to send the crypto to the exchange to buy the items (in this case let's use Opensea.com for buying NFT's

3: possibly pay more in gas fees if they made noob mistake of lowering gas amount
transactions can get stuck. Add more money.

4: once crypto is in wallet on Opensea pick something you want

5: oopsy. you need to pay gas to buy something.

6: okay you paid the fee and own the item.

A lot of people on Opensea (self included!) use the Polygon network. Once you start using that there are no gas fees to mint (create new items to sell) buy or sell items. However joining the polygon network requires another gas fee.

That's IF you know how to use polygon. If not then you are paying a fee every single time you add eth, withdraw eth convert to Weth (a pink version of Eth)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxK81jEj9U

So there are fees everywhere and a lot of barrier to entry.
Someone needs to make a friction-less system. Right now it's just nerds like myself on the networks.

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
So an ETH-based wallet called Gnosis Safe is feuding with Apple - and it is pretty eye opening!

Apple claims they're denying service and this is their official excuse: Apps that facilitate storage or marketplaces for NFTs are prohibited on the Apple App Store.

But displaying ERC20 tokens is OK? What differentiates ERC20 between ERC721 or ERC1155?

The answer? These guys are aware of what's happening, and they're simply responding to SOMETHING. And that something, my friends, has got nothing to do with what they actually stated and everything to do with something you can find written in between the lines in the below quotes.

f*ck it I can't play cryptic games with y'all I'm too excited to tell you the answer:

Gnosis introduced a method to connect a hardware wallet to the iPhone using bluetooth! Now why is this a big deal? Because it's a critical step forward in ushering in user adoption of self-sovereign assets. Mobile devices are in everybody's pockets, so mobile devices connected to mobile hardware wallets wrecks the entire banking, fintech, AND big tech rails that are sitting at comfy returns while providing little value in exchange for what they're charging users.

This method of connecting and storing your assets EATS thru the App Store revenue - because that bitch sits at a ~80% profit margin, simply due to Apple forcing payments thru their own store, deciding payment providers, and essentially acting as an authority over HOW people transact with each other all while collecting a mean tax over everything that the community creates.

This is a BIG deal - it shows you that LEGACY technology is continuously battling with an EMERGENT technology that is far superior for the end-user. Who does this technology take away from? Centralized sources of power and funding. Who does this technology benefit? Individuals.

Like I said, the battle is far from over, but if you're paying attention - You'll notice that the forces at bay holding the gates shut will soon have to adapt or lose relevance. How so? Because users demand more access, more equality, more transparency, more efficiency, and most importantly, personal liberty. These are VALUES, they are IDEAS, and they have always existed. You cannot censor or regulate your way out of the inevitable.

Crypto will emerge winner. This is not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN. Because this technology is superior in all the ways the legacy tech is inferior, and the net-benefit to the global network of humans is a force that exceeds the power that a minority few are trying to hold onto for dear life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at this thread posted by one of the Gnosis guys who leads the product

Apple is blocking a release of our @gnosissafe mobile app because we display NFTs in it. After 2 weeks of back-and-forth, I felt that we need to talk publicly about this to raise awareness. See the thread for details and why this might affect other wallets and apps as well.

2 weeks ago, we submitted a new version of the Gnosis Safe Mobile app to the app store. Shortly after we got the following response.View attachment 39889

The update included a new way to connect a Ledger Nano X via Bluetooth to the app, so it had nothing to do with NFTs in the first place. We display user-owned NFTs in our app already for many months. Nevertheless, we answered the questions and outlined our NFT feature.

The next day we got this questionable response, basically saying that Apple does not allow apps, especially wallets, to display NFTs if they are not bought via in-app purchases.

View attachment 39890

Of course, we thought this was just a human issue. Maybe a junior reviewer made a mistake... So we tried explaining again. The answer: Apps that facilitate storage or marketplaces for NFTs are prohibited on the Apple App Store.

View attachment 39891

Finally, we tried resubmitting the update again with a clearer update description, hoping that we get another reviewer this time. But no luck...

View attachment 39892

This shows how access to Web3 still relies heavily on gatekeepers like Apple It's an industry problem, as the same arguments apply to any wallet displaying NFTs or games making use of NFTs We need to find better ways to make Web3 accessible on mobile permissionlessly

We will submit an appeal to the App Review Board and hope that they will reinterpret their policy when it comes to NFTs and that this is not just the first sign of Apple cracking down on NFTs completely.

Permissionless access to Web3 is core to our values, so we are willing to go the extra mile to clear this up. Simply removing NFTs from our app is definitely not an option for us.
I saw this news on Twitter last night, but I didn't hear anything about them finding a way to connect your Ledger wallet through Bluetooth? That's a game-changer! I hope they're able to get through into the App Store. Apple has been gatekeeping, hard...

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I saw this news on Twitter last night, but I didn't hear anything about them finding a way to connect your Ledger wallet through Bluetooth? That's a game-changer! I hope they're able to get through into the App Store. Apple has been gatekeeping, hard...

The more they keep their gates shut - the more incentive to build an alternate platform.

Open-source operating systems for mobile devices are on the rise - Linux based OS already exist on devices like the Librem 5.

More are coming - crypto-secured mobile devices are the next hardware revolution to enable breakthrough of these walled gardens.

DiamondDog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 3, 2016
Just a few days ago I started with my first investment in NFTs. Bought cryptocurrency in a video game (PvU) and I'm growing my first plant, which is actually the NFT.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks when I get my first plant.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
What is the creator economy? What is the social economy?

They are simply a set of words we are using today to encapsulate the big idea which is human interaction.

Human interaction is what allowed us to understand one another and cooperate, form tribes, to look after and feed one another, to learn about the world from each other and to expose ourselves to more and more beautiful renders of this experience.

With the advent of the internet, our ability to communicate with one another saw an exponential gain in efficiency, connectivity to the massive global human network, and the ability to iterate on ideas and converge to a majority consensus at faster and faster rates.

Crypto, is another word. It's used today to describe cryptographically secured transmissions of programmable data on blockchain networks. Phew. Fancy set of words. Only because it hasn't been simplified yet...

When we communicate our innermost experiences using a pre-defined language, the basis for communications lends itself to inefficiencies from the get go.

Here's another mental model for the internet, or crypto, that I like to think about:

Communication: you can currently make sounds with air, send frequencies of vibrations across different mediums, to get to your listeners ears, and hopefully translated despite what the other person's relationship with those words might be.

The internet: an emergent form of communication that sends "vibrations" of the entire collection of your communication across different mediums, to get to your listeners receiver device, and translated precisely as you wrote it, or painted it, or better yet showed it in a collection of moving images put together at 30 frames per second.

Crypto: an emergent form of the internet, and ultimately communication, that sends bits of code across networks of computers around the world, to encapsulate the entirety of the message you wish to communicate, but this time in an encrypted format. Your message is then decrypted by your listener, translated precisely as you wrote it, or painted it, or displayed moving imagesof, or this time, a message that is programmed to perform an automatic action upon interacting with your listener.

This, is where things get wicked. This new method of communication is the genesis of a brand new set of human interactions. Upon interaction with these "contracts" or capsules of programs, the network of participants trustlessly provides encrypted and verified services to the other members of this channel of communication.

This, we can think of as what our evolution of the idea of governance has manifested into. Because that is precisely what these networks, channels of communication, would be doing: allowing verifiable, uncorruptible encapsulation of human interaction, accessible by all who tune into this channel. How these chanels operate, can also be determined by those who tune into the channel. So if a channel seems to be producing weird signals, you can change the channel you're on into a more honest network, with more honest validators and participants, as can be evidenced by the performance and sustainability of the network (you can use mathematics to quantitatively model performance).

Guys I want you all to think bigger here - don't fall into narratives about what this stuff is. If it was a scam, if it was all just bullshit and a bubble, why is everything in the world seemingly converging to problems caused by human arbiters, and the on the other hand computer systems start rapidly evolving to present alternate forms or communication that greatly reduce human arbitration bias from the rails?

There is beautiful synchronicity to that alone. Keep digging down the rabbit hole, there is much to see here.

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
It pains me to see the amount of people who haven't realized that crypto is just another ponzi scheme. So many people are going to get burned by this

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
It pains me to see the amount of people who haven't realized that crypto is just another ponzi scheme. So many people are going to get burned by this

Skepticism and open dialogue, inclusive of criticism, is necessary and healthy. Would love to hear your take on why you believe it is all a ponzi scheme - maybe you can educate some of the audience, including myself, as to what we may have missed!

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
Skepticism and open dialogue, inclusive of criticism, is necessary and healthy. Would love to hear your take on why you believe it is all a ponzi scheme - maybe you can educate some of the audience, including myself, as to what we may have missed!
Just look at the graph. It tells you everything you need to know. People in the know, who have unimaginable wealth control the media. They saw this as an opportunity for a legal Ponzi scheme that they could orchestrate and pump up with their media holdings. They bought up large swaths of crypto very early on and then pumped this thing up to hell. I can imagine they’ve lately have been quietly offloading a lot of the crypto.

I don’t think $50,000 per coin is even close to where this will settle. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a few thousand a coin after the next market crash. I don’t think this is a reserve Asset, in the way that it has been marketed to people.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Just look at the graph. It tells you everything you need to know. People in the know, who have unimaginable wealth control the media. They saw this as an opportunity for a legal Ponzi scheme that they could orchestrate and pump up with their media holdings. They bought up large swaths of crypto very early on and then pumped this thing up to hell. I can imagine they’ve lately have been quietly offloading a lot of the crypto.

I don’t think $50,000 per coin is even close to where this will settle. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a few thousand a coin after the next market crash. I don’t think this is a reserve Asset, in the way that it has been marketed to people.

And the stock market, bond market, real estate market, precious metals market, commodities markets, are somehow different? Have you seen those charts too? Oh and did you hear the it was just discovered that Fed Chief Powell and other top officials owned specific securities that the central bank was buying during the Covid pandemic? This is no joke - and now an "ethics" review is getting the investors to dump on the market. So they 2x'd trillions worth of assets and are now in the process of dumping into the hands of others.

S&P 500
1631900953345.png

Or how about this little gem called Moderna? Ever wonder how they created this high of a valuation?
1631901433089.png

Look around you friend - the F*ckery you speak of is not exclusive to crypto, it is universal. The crypto solution seems to be the only route in which honest validation can still be found.

In the case of crypto, this "manipulation" is on-chain and verifiable. In the case of crypto, the underlying holding has a programmable functionality beyond an "I owe you" certificate.

Yes the market is propped by leverage- but so is every other market at the moment. The difference is that the leverage in this space, or the pre-purchase, has the possibility to see a real ROI because the underlying functionality the technology enables DOES come with many many efficiencies over traditional tech. The leverage will also bleed out - with network rights exchanging hands until they distribute more and more into the hands of growing networks.

EDIT: also, we aren't talking about "bitcoin". We're talking about a technology abstraction layer which enables custom programmable interactions on blockchains. There is a distinction to be made - and I keep insisting we pay attention, because blockchain technology is not exclusively about currency.

Last edited:

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
And the stock market, bond market, real estate market, precious metals market, commodities markets, are somehow different? Have you seen those charts too? Oh and did you hear the it was just discovered that Fed Chief Powell and other top officials owned specific securities that the central bank was buying during the C0VlD pandemic? This is no joke - and now an "ethics" review is getting the investors to dump on the market. So they 2x'd trillions worth of assets and are now in the process of dumping into the hands of others.

S&P 500
View attachment 39977

Or how about this little gem called Moderna? Ever wonder how they created this high of a valuation?
View attachment 39978

Look around you friend - the f*ckery you speak of is not exclusive to crypto, it is universal. The crypto solution seems to be the only route in which honest validation can still be found.

In the case of crypto, this "manipulation" is on-chain and verifiable. In the case of crypto, the underlying holding has a programmable functionality beyond an "I owe you" certificate.

Yes the market is propped by leverage- but so is every other market at the moment. The difference is that the leverage in this space, or the pre-purchase, has the possibility to see a real ROI because the underlying functionality the technology enables DOES come with many many efficiencies over traditional tech. The leverage will also bleed out - with network rights exchanging hands until they distribute more and more into the hands of growing networks.

EDIT: also, we aren't talking about "bitcoin". We're talking about a technology abstraction layer which enables custom programmable interactions on blockchains. There is a distinction to be made - and I keep insisting we pay attention, because blockchain technology is not exclusively about currency.
I agree that the U.S. Dollar is inflating away and that is why we see these crazy numbers in everything. However, I think we are ripe for a massive crash and crypto is not where you want your money. There is value in it but now is not the time to hold it - there's a massive dump coming.

I personally see value in Gold. Physical Bullion, ideally kept in a vault outside of your jurisdiction such as Switzerland. I am keeping the majority of my portfolio in Gold in this way. Silver also has value, but prices are high. I plan to put 7 figures into a physical type of SLV ETF when the NASDAQ crashes and institutional investors are dumping paper silver. I think there is a big opportunity there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.