The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So WTF are NFTs all about? Buying JPGs? Why can't you just right-click save? Is this a giant ponzi? Far from it...

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
Just sold two Bloots and it changed my life. Now I question my plan, and why I'm grinding making $20 bucks an hour to one day create a fastlane business.

I was able to mint two NFT's from a project called Bloot. Minting is free but it costs "gas" which was about $250. For some reason these NFT's floor price raised very quickly to $9,000 each.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Just sold two Bloots and it changed my life. Now I question my plan, and why I'm grinding making $20 bucks an hour to one day create a fastlane business.

I was able to mint two NFT's from a project called Bloot. Minting is free but it costs "gas" which was about $250. For some reason these NFT's floor price raised very quickly to $9,000 each.
how did you find out about bloot drop? i am on twitter but for example i ddidnt hear anythign about solana loot drop until it sold out..

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe

Nice! I found out too late...
I'm still holding my shroomz. Paid 1 ETH for 10 including gas, and floor price is at .12 ETH now. So I can get out with a (small) profit, but I'm hoping for the floor to rise first.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe

According to these metrics, 1 shroom will be equivalent to .7 ETH for the next minting event in 3-4 weeks. The floor price is at .15 now, and should go up to .6 imo. Not financial advice, just an observation.

Disclaimer: I minted 10 at the start (1ETH incl gas) and I'm still holding. Planning to exit when the floor hits .6.

Some explanation here:
View: https://twitter.com/SweaterQ_SoraY/status/1434905819913469952

Last edited:

EarlChanges

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Aug 30, 2015
Philippines
Thank guys for this informative post about NFT. Learning alot.

How about Crypto games though? Anyone has insights, link or opinion about this?

Probably needs it's own seperate topic but NFT and Crypto games go hand-in-hand.

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA

Probably needs it's own seperate topic but NFT and Crypto games go hand-in-hand.

In-game assets are definitely going to be a huge, huge part in all manner of console, pc, mobile and web games within the next few years.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
I'm still learning. When I first got my shroomz NFT's, I listed everything on the OpenSea platform, since listing was free. I didn't realize delisting or changing the price would cost me money (gas).

After the metrics for burning were announced, I assume the floor price will rise close to 0.7 ETH. So I had to cancel all my listings below that price. I already spend 173USD on gasfees to delist my shroomz that were listed between .16 and .4. The floor is up to .19 now, so delisting was worth the gas fees.

My friend and mentor explained to me that the only way to learn about NFT's is to get skin in the game. And all the money you lose should be seen as tuition. So while I still hope to be profitable, I try to see it mostly as a learning experience. I'm trying to understand NFT's, but right now I still think it's a load of crap really. Who would anyone pay real money for a mp4 file of a mushroom bobbing it's head to music? I think this is how my parents felt about Pokemon cards when I was collecting them as a kid.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I listed everything on the OpenSea platform, since listing was free. I didn't realize delisting or changing the price would cost me money (gas).
Literally learned that lesson yesterday. Sold one of my rare NFTs for a profit, but it could've been much more. Reveal wasn't happening for hours so I just decided to put it up for sale near the same price that everyone else was putting theirs up for. After the reveal, mine was immediately taken.

I try to see it mostly as a learning experience.
The same way I treat learning about options and stocks. Lose some, learn, and try to not make that mistake in the future.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019

I think this thread is the perfect place to discuss Gaming. It is one of the most important and emerging use-cases for NFTs, and this thread is all about breaking down what this abstraction layer enables.

Look at something like Star Atlas - it is perhaps the most hyped project right now, and for good reason. They're building out an MMO 3D universe with the Unreal Engine. Solana will be the blockchain engine they'll be using for coordination of assets/identities throughout the game.

Take a look at some of these ships that are on sale. If this game actually grows a massive fan-base, then owning valuable assets inside the game, especially a play-to-earn game, will become very valuable.

A cool observation: DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) have started purchasing some of these massive ships for the members of their DAO! As such, when the game goes live, the entire DAO can sail aboard these ships! This was a really neat observation of how organized efforts in the digital realm manifest as value-adds for the participating members of these organizations.

1631030138701.png

Gaming will be a massive part of the future of Blockchain tech. It is an enormous, and I mean enormous market today. Enabling players/participants to become owners across these Metaverse servers has the potential to promote never-seen before innovation thanks to the better alignment of incentives for creation/participation.

You can look at a simple game like Axis Infinity as a case-study of how the play-to-earn model manifests. I still think the game is gimmicky, but man oh man have I won big-time by investing in what at the time I saw as a powerful business model.

Keep your eyes open for emerging games/tech for the blossoming Metaverse.

The original post in this thread has a link to a fascinating article about the Metaverse. I would strongly recommend you dig thru it as it helps paint a powerful perspective around what's possible in gaming.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
how did you find out about bloot drop? i am on twitter but for example i ddidnt hear anythign about solana loot drop until it sold out..

You won't catch them all - don't worry about missing out.

The only limiting aspect across the NFT space today is imagination. Keep your eyes open and you will find opportunities left and right.

Make yourself comfortable with "missing out" on certain projects. It will happen more and more often as this space blows out of proportion.

Similar to trading - it is worth taking entire days or an entire week finding the right setup.

EarlChanges

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Aug 30, 2015
Philippines
I think this thread is the perfect place to discuss Gaming. It is one of the most important and emerging use-cases for NFTs, and this thread is all about breaking down what this abstraction layer enables.

Look at something like Star Atlas - it is perhaps the most hyped project right now, and for good reason. They're building out an MMO 3D universe with the Unreal Engine. Solana will be the blockchain engine they'll be using for coordination of assets/identities throughout the game.

Take a look at some of these ships that are on sale. If this game actually grows a massive fan-base, then owning valuable assets inside the game, especially a play-to-earn game, will become very valuable.

A cool observation: DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) have started purchasing some of these massive ships for the members of their DAO! As such, when the game goes live, the entire DAO can sail aboard these ships! This was a really neat observation of how organized efforts in the digital realm manifest as value-adds for the participating members of these organizations.

View attachment 39796

Gaming will be a massive part of the future of Blockchain tech. It is an enormous, and I mean enormous market today. Enabling players/participants to become owners across these Metaverse servers has the potential to promote never-seen before innovation thanks to the better alignment of incentives for creation/participation.

You can look at a simple game like Axis Infinity as a case-study of how the play-to-earn model manifests. I still think the game is gimmicky, but man oh man have I won big-time by investing in what at the time I saw as a powerful business model.

The original post in this thread has a link to a fascinating article about the Metaverse. I would strongly recommend you dig thru it as it helps paint a powerful perspective around what's possible in gaming.
I see!

Axie is emerging in our country right now (Philippines) as it is sought after as an extra income. Those $100/month will come in handy during these hard times.

Star atlas, Mobox and Crypto Cars are few of the games i'm considering because the earlier you get on the game, the better right?

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Alright alright FLF fam I got another banger for you today!

This Opensea NFT Bible is one of the best resources I've seen to date.

Below is the table of contents, in case you wanted a quick glimpse as motivation to explore the document.

1631042978198.png

As always, I'll Frankenstein some parts together and highlight the bangers for the folks in here that don't have as much time as I do to dig into these rabbit holes.

What is a non-fungible token?​

Non-fungible assets are just normal stuff. Fungible assets are the odd ones out!

Most discussions about non-fungible tokens begin by introducing the idea of fungibility, which is defined as “able to replace or be replaced by another identical item”. We think this overcomplicates things. To get a better sense of what might constitute a non-fungible asset, just think about most of the stuff you own. The chair you’re sitting in, your phone, your laptop, anything you could go and sell on eBay. All of these fall under the category of non-fungible things.

Blockchain-based non-fungible tokens

Just as we had digital currencies (think airline points, in-game currencies) before cryptocurrencies emerged, we’ve had non-fungible digital assets since the dawn of the internet. Domain names, event tickets, in-game items, even handles on social networks like Twitter or Facebook, are all non-fungible digital assets; they just vary in their tradeability, liquidity, and interoperability. And many of them are incredibly valuable: Epic Games made $2.4 billion in revenue selling costumes in their free-to-play game Fortnite in 2018 alone, the market for event tickets is projected to reach $68 billion in 2025, and the market for domain names continues to see solid growth.

We have tons of digital stuff, we’ve just never really owned it.

So it’s clear we already have tons of digital stuff. But to what extent do we “own” these digital things? If digital ownership only means that an item belongs to you and not someone else, then you own them in some sense. But if digital ownership is more like ownership in the physical world (the freedom to hold and transfer indefinitely), this doesn’t always seem to be the case with digital assets. Rather, you own these assets in specific contexts, which may or may not make moving them around easy. Try to sell a Fortnite skin on eBay, and you’ll discover the difficulty of moving digital assets from one person to another.

This is where blockchains come in! Blockchains provide a coordination layer for digital assets, giving users ownership and management permission. Blockchains add several unique properties to non-fungible assets that change the user and developer relationships with these assets.

Standardization

Traditional digital assets—from event tickets to domain names—have no unified representation in the digital world. A game likely represents its in-game collectibles in an entirely different way than an event ticketing system. By representing non-fungible tokens on public blockchains, developers can build common, reusable, inheritable standards relevant to all non-fungible tokens. These include such basic primitives as ownership, transfer, and simple access control. Additional standards (specifications for how to display an NFT, for example) can be layered on top for rich display inside of applications.

These are analogous to other building blocks of the digital world, like the JPEG or PNG file format for images, HTTP for requests between computers, and HTML / CSS for displaying content on the web. Blockchains add a layer on top that gives developers a brand new set of stateful primitives on which to build applications.

Interoperability

Non-fungible token standards allow non-fungible tokens to move easily across multiple ecosystems. When a developer launches a new NFT project, these NFTs are immediately viewable inside dozens of different wallet providers, tradeable on marketplaces, and, most recently, displayable inside of virtual worlds. This is possible because open standards provide a clear, consistent, reliable, and permissioned API for reading and writing data.

Tradeability

The most compelling feature enabled by interoperability is free trade on open marketplaces. For the first time, users can move items outside of their original environments and into a marketplace where they can take advantage of sophisticated trading capabilities, like eBay-style auctions, bidding, bundling, and the ability to sell in any currency, like stablecoins and application-specific currencies.

For game developers specifically, tradeability of assets represents a transition from a closed economy to an open, free-market economy. Game developers no longer have to manage every piece of their economy: from the supply of resources to pricing to capital controls. Instead, they can let free markets do the heavy lifting!

Liquidity

Instant tradeability of non-fungible tokens will lead to higher liquidity. NFT marketplaces can cater to a variety of audiences—from hardcore traders to more novice players—allowing for greater exposure of the assets to a wider pool of buyers. In the same way that the ICO boom of 2017 gave birth to a new asset class driven by instantly liquid tokens, NFTs expand the market for unique digital assets.

Immutability and provable scarcity

Smart contracts allow developers to place hard caps on the supply of non-fungible tokens and enforce persistent properties that cannot be modified after the NFTs are issued. For example, a developer can enforce programmatically that only a specific number of a specific rare item can be created, while keeping the supply of more common items infinite. Developers can also enforce that specific properties do not change over time by encoding them on-chain. This is particularly interesting for art, which relies heavily on the provable scarcity of an original piece.

Programmability

Of course, like traditional digital assets, NFTs are fully programmable. CryptoKitties (which we’ll talk about later) baked in a breeding mechanic directly into the contract that represents the digital cats. Many of today’s NFTs have more complex mechanics, like forging, crafting, redeeming, random generation, etc. The design space is full of possibilities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaving it off here - if the above has been useful to you I'm sure you will take the time to dig further into the original post.

Keep fighting the good fight and educate yourself!

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Alright alright FLF fam I got another banger for you today!

Banger indeed. The programmability of Web3 is what creates so many opportunities in the space. The fact that it is a bit more technically complex than web2 stuff with more disconnectedness between inputs and outputs, makes it quite lucrative now and I'd imagine within a few years will be highly lucrative for individuals with a modest level of exposure to the tools and craft

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
im now starting to read about NFTs and understand what they are. Now what would you guys say are good NFTs to invest in? curious to see doing my own investigating as well.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
im now starting to read about NFTs and understand what they are. Now what would you guys say are good NFTs to invest in? curious to see doing my own investigating as well.

One of the brands I personally follow closely is RTFKT Studios. Unreal Engine recently did a spotlight on this project to showcase how they're leveraging the Unreal Engine for their creations and it looks quite stunning!

1631138280360.png
1631138355962.png

Another upcoming project I've seen many of the leading curators I follow take interest in is the MekaVerse project.

1631138381965.png

Please keep in mind these are only two random arbitrarily selected projects to simply showcase an example of what some hot projects in the space look like. I am by no means suggesting you or anybody else invest in these.

Perhaps you find value there as well - perhaps not.

Cheers!

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
One of the brands I personally follow closely is RTFKT Studios. Unreal Engine recently did a spotlight on this project to showcase how they're leveraging the Unreal Engine for their creations and it looks quite stunning!

View attachment 39822
View attachment 39823

Another upcoming project I've seen many of the leading curators I follow take interest in is the MekaVerse project.

View attachment 39824

Please keep in mind these are only two random arbitrarily selected projects to simply showcase an example of what some hot projects in the space look like. I am by no means suggesting you or anybody else invest in these.

Perhaps you find value there as well - perhaps not.

Cheers!
appreciate it !

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

EarlChanges

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Aug 30, 2015
Philippines

View attachment 39796

I'm currently starting my journey now to Crypto Games, and will provide you guys update (as my way of contributing to the FLF, MJ & Co.

Feel free to share guys if you have INSIDERS info's on this games. One simple strategy is 50/50. Earn the ROI (physical cash), and keep the cryptocurrencies earned. With some faith that the value will go up in the near future.

On the Ethereum/Axie Infinity side, I think it's still on early stages. Developers are on the verge of their game updates & additional features on the game.

While Solana/Star Atlas obviously the game is not even yet released so the pay-off maybe huge.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
View attachment karl.MP4
Got my Ikonik-Karl 1/777 First edition NFT. The 1/77 Chrome version sold out in less than 3 seconds! It's on the Lukso blockchain so I won't be able to sell it until mainnet, but this is super cool! Love the AR aspect of it.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
View attachment 39838
Got my Ikonik-Karl 1/777 First edition NFT. The 1/77 Chrome version sold out in less than 3 seconds! It's on the Lukso blockchain so I won't be able to sell it until mainnet, but this is super cool! Love the AR aspect of it.

DUUUUUUUDE - you nailed it! Congrats on locking it in before it sold out. I was away from my PC when it happened and hadn't set notifications to grab it. Kinda jealous but more proud than anything!

Hats off bro - keep it up!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
DUUUUUUUDE - you nailed it! Congrats on locking it in before it sold out. I was away from my PC when it happened and hadn't set notifications to grab it. Kinda jealous but more proud than anything!

Hats off bro - keep it up!
I didn't realize how competitive drops were, haha. I was aiming to get the 1/77 chrome version but for some reason, my card didn't go through... I refreshed and it was all sold out! Luckily I was still able to cop the Ikonik version which sold out not too soon after.

Thank you! :)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019

pat9000

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 29, 2018
Nashville, TN
The biggest positive I see about NFTs is in the autograph/sports realm.

Like if you get a baseball signed by Babe Ruth 100 years ago, how do we know it's real? Well with NFTs we can verify ownership of the signature to be Derek Jeter (I got one of his NFTs this week!) and on top of that, the "baseball" can't be lost or destroyed (unless you log into OpenSea LOL).

Also, PlayBoy entering the NFT space is going to be so dope. Sex sells.

On top of that (heh), old-school nerd TCGs(trading card games) will be HOT. I'm talking about some MTG(Magic the Gathering).

Now some of this other stuff, like the Ape Yacht Club thing.........I just don't understand honestly. Baffling. Same with the Loot project. Like WTF.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
For anybody that's live right now - hop into Decentraland at these coordinates.

There is a live concert going on here at Metazoo - the DJ is badass, music is fire, and you get to interact in the free Metaverse to get a glimpse at what the future of these servers can look like for yourself!

1631319712228.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
For anybody that's live right now - hop into Decentraland at these coordinates.

There is a live concert going on here at Metazoo - the DJ is badass, music is fire, and you get to interact in the free Metaverse to get a glimpse at what the future of these servers can look like for yourself!

View attachment 39850
Only works on a desktop…

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Just a note on the Apple vs Epic ruling today and it's implications for the open Metaverse.

There is good news and bad news:

Good news is that the door has been opened to combat walled payment gardens within in-game purchases.

Bad news is the battle is only beginning, and there is a lot more fighting ahead.

Overall, the biggest takeaway here, is that Epic Games, which also runs the most powerful gaming engine called Unreal Engine, is fighting a good fight against walled gardens and is on the side of crypto-enabled Metaverse servers.

This case will have reverberating effects in the upcoming months - but it seems like we're headed in the right direction! This direction is that of power/money leaving FAANG walls and spreading more amongst creators/developers. This is a key moment, and imo points to the further collapse of the encroaching powers of Big Tech overlords as we move forward.

I have frankensteined some text from the linked article and as always, I've highlighted the bangers for you!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers issued a permanent injunction in the Epic v. Apple case on Friday morning, putting new restrictions on Apple’s App Store rules and bringing months of bitter legal jousting to a conclusion.

Under the new order, Apple is:

permanently restrained and enjoined from prohibiting developers from including in their apps and their metadata buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms, in addition to In-App Purchasing and communicating with customers through points of contact obtained voluntarily from customers through account registration within the app.
In short, iOS apps must be allowed to direct users to payment options beyond those offered by Apple. The injunction is scheduled to take effect in 90 days — on December 9th — unless it is enjoined by a higher court.

In a separate judgment, the court affirmed that Epic Games was in breach of its contract with Apple when it implemented the alternative payment system in the Fortnite app. As a result, Epic must pay Apple 30 percent of all revenue collected through the system since it was implemented — a sum of more than $3.5 million.

In the full ruling, Judge Gonzalez Rogers explained her thinking on the issue in greater detail. Notably, the judge rejected both parties’ definition of the marketplace at issue in the case. “The relevant market here is digital mobile gaming transactions, not gaming generally and not Apple’s own internal operating systems related to the App Store,” Gonzalez Rogers wrote.

Under that market definition, “the court cannot ultimately conclude that Apple is a monopolist under either federal or state antitrust laws,” she continued. “Nonetheless, the trial did show that Apple is engaging in anti-competitive conduct under California’s competition laws.

Reached for comment, Apple cast the ruling as a victory for the App Store model. “Today the Court has affirmed what we’ve known all along: the App Store is not in violation of antitrust law,” a representative said. “Apple faces rigorous competition in every segment in which we do business, and we believe customers and developers choose us because our products and services are the best in the world. We remain committed to ensuring the App Store is a safe and trusted marketplace.”

On Twitter, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney expressed disappointment in the order. “Today’s ruling isn’t a win for developers or for consumers,” Sweeney said. “Epic is fighting for fair competition among in-app payment methods and app stores for a billion consumers.” Separately, an Epic Games spokesperson told NPR that the company plans to appeal.

The new restrictions include echoes of some provisional anti-steering restrictions already placed on Apple outside of the US. On September 1st, Apple agreed to allow outside signup links for “reader” apps like Netflix and Spotify, following a regulatory investigation in Japan. More recently, a South Korean law opened the door to alternate payment systems, although the practical impacts of the law are still unclear.

Apple and Epic Games have been at odds for years over the transaction fee system in the iOS App Store, which Apple sees as a necessary operating cost but Epic sees as a monopolistic tax.
The fight came to a head in August 2020 when Epic installed an alternative payment system in Fortnite to circumvent the App Store’s transaction fees. Apple responded by removing Fortnite from the App Store, which sparked an immediate legal complaint from Epic.

The subsequent trial was a brutal tug-of-war over the App Store model and Apple’s efforts to maintain control over software on iOS. Among other things, we learned about Apple’s strange accounting methods and charm offensive to keep major players like Netflix using in-app purchases.

The ruling is likely to have significant impacts outside of Apple. Google is already facing a similar lawsuit from Epic Games over its own efforts to maintain the Google Play Store
as the central source of software on Android, drawing on elaborate deals with phone manufacturers.

Last edited:

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Where do I subscribe to your newsletter, Ace? Providing some awesome value and distillation of info.

This move against Apple I feel is super helpful for the crypto industry, for sure!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.