The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

So I learned how to ride a bike this weekend

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
Something you had given up on... assumed you would never do.
What you got??
I know what it is for me:

Being a proficient public speaker. I'd like to be @Gary good. Someone who you could just sit and listen to talk endlessly. Being the person who commands the room.

I've always just assumed that it's not in me. Why? I don't know! There aren't any reasons really. Only that "i'm not like those other guys".

But as my team grows, and I see the future where I'm the CEO of a 40 person organization... it's a skill that has to be in place.

I just put Toastmasters in my calendar for Monday the 22nd.

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

JordanK

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
video of you treading water?
Didn't manage to get a picture of me as there was only the two of us but I went swimming in the sea with my lifeguard friend today in 12C/53F weather. First time in the water for over a year, enjoyed it a lot to be honest and learned a few things but it was PROPER COLD so we didn't last too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZCP

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
www.phoenixengineering.com
Hah! This is such a fun thread!

Let's skip any of the home building skills this time.

How about health-focused to attain my most kick a$$ body? It's such an easy challenge to put off for another day ..or season.. or year.

I'm not overweight but no longer doing pull-ups. Little details are not needed here so I will just start immediately and update milestones or finale cheers!
what is your standard weekly workout schedule?
what is your metric? weekly scale readings? fit of certain clothes? how you feel 1 to 10?
what are you doing for food log?
have you been to the doctor / had blood work done?
have you scheduled an appointment with a dietician (not a nutritionist)?
make a plan!! today!!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I know what it is for me:

Being a proficient public speaker. I'd like to be @Gary good. Someone who you could just sit and listen to talk endlessly. Being the person who commands the room.

I've always just assumed that it's not in me. Why? I don't know! There aren't any reasons really. Only that "i'm not like those other guys".

But as my team grows, and I see the future where I'm the CEO of a 40 person organization... it's a skill that has to be in place.

I just put Toastmasters in my calendar for Monday the 22nd.
Do an impromptu toastmasters in the shop today ...... .everyone speaks on any topic for one minute ...... tell them what you are doing and how maybe they can help you get over your fear.......

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Didn't manage to get a picture of me as there was only the two of us but I went swimming in the sea with my lifeguard friend today in 12C/53F weather. First time in the water for over a year, enjoyed it a lot to be honest and learned a few things but it was PROPER COLD so we didn't last too long.

sweet! now sign up for a swim meet at the end of the month

andyhaus44

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I'm not young. Not in grade school. This weekend, I rode a bike for the first time.

Growing up, I lived on a gravel road in the country with no one to go see. By the time another kid moved into the area and the road got paved, I had a go-cart. It was faster and more fun. In this, I never learned how to ride a bike.

For the last 35 years, I thought I had to have training wheels to learn how to ride a bike. That is how I had seen it done. That was what I thought was the way. Several times, I had looked for 'adult size' training wheels. Each time I didn't really like the design. Mostly I was just afraid.

So last month, I was in Phoenix meeting up with some fastlaners ....... we were standing in the front yard of one of their houses looking at some fancy cars, when some kids went by on bikes. One of them was a smaller bike with no pedals. 'What the hell is that?', I asked. One of the fastlaners there just happens to own a bike company. 'That is how kids learn now. No training wheels. Just balance and go. They learn much faster'.

Wow. Light bulb.

'So I just grab an adult bike and lower the seat and walk?'. 'Yep.'

Soon after I got back, I relayed the story to one of my admins. She brought in two old beach cruisers for me. I picked them up from the office a week ago Saturday and got to work. Ride down to the park on my big yellow beach cruiser with the little white basket while wearing my little helmet. Get made fun of by the neighborhood kids and get chased by dogs. Should be fun.

I didn't get to ride everyday, but a week later, I wobbily managed to stay upright and make it up the hill on my own while my neighbors cheered me on. Wow. So awesome!!

While riding through the neighborhood yesterday with my new found skill, it hit me:

HOW MANY STUPID a$$ MENTAL LIMITATIONS ARE HOLDING YOU BACK???!!!

What if it is simpler than you think?
How many things in life are you missing out on because you aren't looking outside your own limited mind for answers?
Are there myths / dogmas / old wive's tales that are keeping you in place?
Is there something you should just GO GET DONE?

What if YOU are really all that is holding you back?

Today I am in the office trying to put this newfound wisdom into action. Thought I would give back for a minute. Let this get you moving.

One Week Challenge: get something done you didn't think possible

Chop, F*cking, chop!
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. Easy way to remember it is to call it your WOW goal - Within One Week

Sheens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
USA
what is your standard weekly workout schedule?
what is your metric? weekly scale readings? fit of certain clothes? how you feel 1 to 10?
what are you doing for food log?
have you been to the doctor / had blood work done?
have you scheduled an appointment with a dietician (not a nutritionist)?
make a plan!! today!!
In case we have folks in a similar state or even simply to compare and critique as this plan is my own and not intended as any professional advice:

Weekly workouts are 6-7 days of 60-120min cardio/row/lifting in varying intensity plus bonus time in physically building the house.

Metric will be weight and fit of clothes.

Daily food log without strict calorie counting. I am eating half of what I had considered a personal serving except vegetables as those are doubled. Alcohol, dairy, and sugar are quite restricted. (I lovingly refer to these as chubby snacks) Drinking water, unsweetened tea and a cup of coffee in the mornings.

Have been to the doc and had blood work completed- Vit D could be better, correcting with diet and sun. Occasional vitamin supplements and curious to find out more in regards to the studies that are flooding the news right now.

I have not considered seeing a dietician. Instead, I have considered genotype tests for 9P21, Apo E, K1F6, and IL-1.

I plan on this being an ongoing force of will as a week isn't going to work a miracle here! I will still have to have a new challenge next week!

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
Do an impromptu toastmasters in the shop today ...... .everyone speaks on any topic for one minute ...... tell them what you are doing and how maybe they can help you get over your fear.......
Nah, I think I'll just have them keep chop chopping.

I'd much rather practice this on strangers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom