The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I learned how to ride a bike this weekend

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Tried this last week.

Saw a tax prep business for sale online. Sad story - the guy had passed away at the end of last year, and the wife keeps getting calls and emails, even though she told everyone he passed away. So we talked for a while, and she said she would send the people my way since most of them were remote clients anyway.

It's late in the season, so I don't have high hopes, but it was definitely something I've never done, and didn't expect to for a long time.
There are an amazing amount of businesses in this same spot. Especially service businesses. We have a standing offer with a bunch of engineers to 'buy their phone number' when they are ready. They can even pick and choose what to keep. Many do what she did and just pass people along. Keep hunting for those opportunities!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
There are an amazing amount of businesses in this same spot. Especially service businesses. We have a standing offer with a bunch of engineers to 'buy their phone number' when they are ready. They can even pick and choose what to keep. Many do what she did and just pass people along. Keep hunting for those opportunities!
This is on our list for this year - identify targets for acquisition.
In our industry, the multiple is generally 1x annual gross receipts. This is going to be one of the fastest ways for us to grow.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Bump.

Where does everybody stand?
I went 1/2. Have already done the 1 thing I didn’t do last week.

This weeks goal is an intro for @Scot that is way overdue on my end and as small as it is, I’m having a hell of time tracking my guy down.

I would strongly encourage you all to reach out to somebody who you think is unreachable. Call them, DM them, email them. You’d be surprised how receptive people will be to a genuine heartfelt message and the ensuing conversations that can result.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This weeks goal is an intro for @Scot that is way overdue on my end and as small as it is, I’m having a hell of time tracking my guy down.

Thank you for continuing to work on this!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
My challenge this week was to become the actual 'cut guy' for the reclaimed wood siding used on our house. Today, I put on my tool belt and DID IT!
next challenge?

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
next challenge?

Hah! This is such a fun thread!

Let's skip any of the home building skills this time.

How about health-focused to attain my most kick a$$ body? It's such an easy challenge to put off for another day ..or season.. or year.

I'm not overweight but no longer doing pull-ups. Little details are not needed here so I will just start immediately and update milestones or finale cheers!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Something you had given up on... assumed you would never do.
What you got??

I know what it is for me:

Being a proficient public speaker. I'd like to be @Gary good. Someone who you could just sit and listen to talk endlessly. Being the person who commands the room.

I've always just assumed that it's not in me. Why? I don't know! There aren't any reasons really. Only that "i'm not like those other guys".

But as my team grows, and I see the future where I'm the CEO of a 40 person organization... it's a skill that has to be in place.

I just put Toastmasters in my calendar for Monday the 22nd.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
If I can do it ... You can do it!

Get yourself an electric bike now... it'll blow your mind!

The go-kart kid in you will love it.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
video of you treading water?

Didn't manage to get a picture of me as there was only the two of us but I went swimming in the sea with my lifeguard friend today in 12C/53F weather. First time in the water for over a year, enjoyed it a lot to be honest and learned a few things but it was PROPER COLD so we didn't last too long.

456808AF-701C-4A4E-97C7-51D2439DE915.jpeg

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Hah! This is such a fun thread!

Let's skip any of the home building skills this time.

How about health-focused to attain my most kick a$$ body? It's such an easy challenge to put off for another day ..or season.. or year.

I'm not overweight but no longer doing pull-ups. Little details are not needed here so I will just start immediately and update milestones or finale cheers!
what is your standard weekly workout schedule?
what is your metric? weekly scale readings? fit of certain clothes? how you feel 1 to 10?
what are you doing for food log?
have you been to the doctor / had blood work done?
have you scheduled an appointment with a dietician (not a nutritionist)?
make a plan!! today!!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I know what it is for me:

Being a proficient public speaker. I'd like to be @Gary good. Someone who you could just sit and listen to talk endlessly. Being the person who commands the room.

I've always just assumed that it's not in me. Why? I don't know! There aren't any reasons really. Only that "i'm not like those other guys".

But as my team grows, and I see the future where I'm the CEO of a 40 person organization... it's a skill that has to be in place.

I just put Toastmasters in my calendar for Monday the 22nd.
Do an impromptu toastmasters in the shop today ...... .everyone speaks on any topic for one minute ...... tell them what you are doing and how maybe they can help you get over your fear.......

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Didn't manage to get a picture of me as there was only the two of us but I went swimming in the sea with my lifeguard friend today in 12C/53F weather. First time in the water for over a year, enjoyed it a lot to be honest and learned a few things but it was PROPER COLD so we didn't last too long.

sweet! now sign up for a swim meet at the end of the month

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I'm not young. Not in grade school. This weekend, I rode a bike for the first time.

Growing up, I lived on a gravel road in the country with no one to go see. By the time another kid moved into the area and the road got paved, I had a go-cart. It was faster and more fun. In this, I never learned how to ride a bike.

For the last 35 years, I thought I had to have training wheels to learn how to ride a bike. That is how I had seen it done. That was what I thought was the way. Several times, I had looked for 'adult size' training wheels. Each time I didn't really like the design. Mostly I was just afraid.

So last month, I was in Phoenix meeting up with some fastlaners ....... we were standing in the front yard of one of their houses looking at some fancy cars, when some kids went by on bikes. One of them was a smaller bike with no pedals. 'What the hell is that?', I asked. One of the fastlaners there just happens to own a bike company. 'That is how kids learn now. No training wheels. Just balance and go. They learn much faster'.

Wow. Light bulb.

'So I just grab an adult bike and lower the seat and walk?'. 'Yep.'

Soon after I got back, I relayed the story to one of my admins. She brought in two old beach cruisers for me. I picked them up from the office a week ago Saturday and got to work. Ride down to the park on my big yellow beach cruiser with the little white basket while wearing my little helmet. Get made fun of by the neighborhood kids and get chased by dogs. Should be fun.

I didn't get to ride everyday, but a week later, I wobbily managed to stay upright and make it up the hill on my own while my neighbors cheered me on. Wow. So awesome!!

While riding through the neighborhood yesterday with my new found skill, it hit me:

HOW MANY STUPID a$$ MENTAL LIMITATIONS ARE HOLDING YOU BACK???!!!

What if it is simpler than you think?
How many things in life are you missing out on because you aren't looking outside your own limited mind for answers?
Are there myths / dogmas / old wive's tales that are keeping you in place?
Is there something you should just GO GET DONE?

What if YOU are really all that is holding you back?

Today I am in the office trying to put this newfound wisdom into action. Thought I would give back for a minute. Let this get you moving.

One Week Challenge: get something done you didn't think possible

Chop, F*cking, chop!
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. Easy way to remember it is to call it your WOW goal - Within One Week

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
what is your standard weekly workout schedule?
what is your metric? weekly scale readings? fit of certain clothes? how you feel 1 to 10?
what are you doing for food log?
have you been to the doctor / had blood work done?
have you scheduled an appointment with a dietician (not a nutritionist)?
make a plan!! today!!

In case we have folks in a similar state or even simply to compare and critique as this plan is my own and not intended as any professional advice:

Weekly workouts are 6-7 days of 60-120min cardio/row/lifting in varying intensity plus bonus time in physically building the house.

Metric will be weight and fit of clothes.

Daily food log without strict calorie counting. I am eating half of what I had considered a personal serving except vegetables as those are doubled. Alcohol, dairy, and sugar are quite restricted. (I lovingly refer to these as chubby snacks) Drinking water, unsweetened tea and a cup of coffee in the mornings.

Have been to the doc and had blood work completed- Vit D could be better, correcting with diet and sun. Occasional vitamin supplements and curious to find out more in regards to the studies that are flooding the news right now.

I have not considered seeing a dietician. Instead, I have considered genotype tests for 9P21, Apo E, K1F6, and IL-1.

I plan on this being an ongoing force of will as a week isn't going to work a miracle here! I will still have to have a new challenge next week!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Know where I could get one?

Go with Radpower Bikes... you are their target demo. (older guy looking for some fun)

Great company. Cool a$$ bikes.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Do an impromptu toastmasters in the shop today ...... .everyone speaks on any topic for one minute ...... tell them what you are doing and how maybe they can help you get over your fear.......

Nah, I think I'll just have them keep chop chopping.

I'd much rather practice this on strangers.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
Freedom from embarrassment is one of the best things you can have, quoting Scott Adams:

“A lack of fear of embarrassment is what allows one to be proactive. It’s what makes a person take on challenges that others write off as too risky. It’s what makes you take the first step before you know what the second step is. I’m not a fan of physical risks, but if you can’t handle the risk of embarrassment, rejection, and failure, you need to learn how, and studies suggest that is indeed a learnable skill”

Excerpt From: Adams, Scott. “How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life.”

A couple years ago I knew a guy around 40 that was getting swimming lessons at the local club. I talked to him in the Sauna about it, encouraged him and said that was good.
If some people don't complete something past a certain age they likely won't do it because it's too socially taboo. Like in this instance, "You don't know how to ride a bike!"
If people in your immediate circle mock you for trying something new or learning something most people learn in childhood, maybe it's time to replace them.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
I learned how to swim this year (I'm in my 50s). As opposed to 'not drown'.

It was horribly challenging. I literally missed getting a marriage proposal because when he asked to see me on Valentine's Day, I said I couldn't, I had a swimming lesson (don't worry, he asked 2 days later).

I almost threw up from fear. I cried on the way home. But I had Unbreakable Rules: No crying in the pool, I had to participate, and I couldn't quit.

Since then, I've held to those rules in business. It's been interesting, especially that part about not crying in the pool. I no longer complain on social media, I pick up the phone more, I push out more content without fretting over things like spelling or hurt feelings. I've created and stuck with a minimum daily value list.

There's definitely a crossover in behavior and habits. And, now I swim twice a month at the pool. Truly swimming - me!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I can swim since I was a small boy. I don’t fear that and I swimm good. But allways the water seams to be 2 cm higher than my mouth and nose.
What that should mean?
I allways have do swim fast to not get wet inside.
Similar to the rest of my life. I can’t work slowly, because than I getwet inside. To perform good, I have to run. Everywhere in my life.

Well done to learn bike and swim!

Btw: biking I can do slowly

Linde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 6, 2019
Edinburgh
Thanks for this great thread @ZCP
I started reading this because I also have a challenge for this week: overcoming my fear of replying/posting on a forum!

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Swimming.

Saw a tiny kid climb the High Platform and jump off. My jaw dropped. He popped up and did the dog paddle. 5 mins later I was dog paddling/swimming.

Ride a Bike

I had a cousin that had 2 bikes. I did not know how to ride. His mom my aunt wanted him to stick with me all day haha but he said he does not know how to ride a bike....I went out and taught myself in 15 min. Was riding all day with big smile

Horseback riding.

My friends were all going horseback riding and invited me they all knew how to ride so I was not going to say I never rode
I got my horse...and just remember everything I ever saw in the movies...let the horse know whose boss, giddyup, whoa, and Yahhhhhhhh!

Rode the hell out of that horse. But fast realized they do not give a damn about low branches that can knock you off...but I dodged it!

Nobody knew I never rode a horse.

Unless my sneakers gave me away. :) Ankle busters ouch!

First try at eBook....huge success. Lucky back then.

Was on a cruise ship and they had a skeet shooting contest.
I have no idea how I came in 2nd! Never shot a rifle in my life...just arcades.

My first experience to ask a girl out....I told my best friend to go ask the girl of my dreams for me...turned around and they were dancing! :O

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Bump! Who completed their challenge? What is your next challenge!

Just got the girlfriend going on '28 Easy' (thanks @Sheens!) ...... it's a simpler version of 75 Hard that uses the philosophy of 'JUST F*ckING GET STARTED'.........

What is holding you back?!?!

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I'm not young. Not in grade school. This weekend, I rode a bike for the first time.

Growing up, I lived on a gravel road in the country with no one to go see. By the time another kid moved into the area and the road got paved, I had a go-cart. It was faster and more fun. In this, I never learned how to ride a bike.

For the last 35 years, I thought I had to have training wheels to learn how to ride a bike. That is how I had seen it done. That was what I thought was the way. Several times, I had looked for 'adult size' training wheels. Each time I didn't really like the design. Mostly I was just afraid.

So last month, I was in Phoenix meeting up with some fastlaners ....... we were standing in the front yard of one of their houses looking at some fancy cars, when some kids went by on bikes. One of them was a smaller bike with no pedals. 'What the hell is that?', I asked. One of the fastlaners there just happens to own a bike company. 'That is how kids learn now. No training wheels. Just balance and go. They learn much faster'.

Wow. Light bulb.

'So I just grab an adult bike and lower the seat and walk?'. 'Yep.'

Soon after I got back, I relayed the story to one of my admins. She brought in two old beach cruisers for me. I picked them up from the office a week ago Saturday and got to work. Ride down to the park on my big yellow beach cruiser with the little white basket while wearing my little helmet. Get made fun of by the neighborhood kids and get chased by dogs. Should be fun.

I didn't get to ride everyday, but a week later, I wobbily managed to stay upright and make it up the hill on my own while my neighbors cheered me on. Wow. So awesome!!

While riding through the neighborhood yesterday with my new found skill, it hit me:

HOW MANY STUPID a$$ MENTAL LIMITATIONS ARE HOLDING YOU BACK???!!!

What if it is simpler than you think?
How many things in life are you missing out on because you aren't looking outside your own limited mind for answers?
Are there myths / dogmas / old wive's tales that are keeping you in place?
Is there something you should just GO GET DONE?

What if YOU are really all that is holding you back?

Today I am in the office trying to put this newfound wisdom into action. Thought I would give back for a minute. Let this get you moving.

One Week Challenge: get something done you didn't think possible

Chop, F*cking, chop!
Cn I share your post in one Facebook group, sir ZCP?
Also I have made progress in my thread after your guidance.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Reading this post makes me realize that I need to take the plunge (pun intended) and learn how to swim properly and confidently. Been putting it off for way too long.
You dog paddling in the water yet?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.