The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So, here's the idea: Clothing Rental for men. Thoughts?

Idea threads

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Hey Everybody!

It's been a while since I've spent time on this forum. I thought I would ask you guys about your thoughts of this little company I just started. It's an online necktie rental company. In a phrase, "The Netflix of ties." I would appreciate your feedback. The site can be found here and in my signature line.

Now, I started this because I like ties and how they look, especially when you're busting out a suit it just makes you feel good. The problem with tying a suit together, (excuse the unintended pun), can be purchasing good looking ties since they can be very expensive. Sometimes in the the neighborhood of $200+ like Salvatore Ferragamo, Armani, Louis Vuitton etc. So, what I thought might be a good idea, especially for guys my age, is to offer them these type of ties for a low weekly rate. Notice I said weekly and not monthly.

The reason I went for that option is because many will probably only use the service for job interviews, weddings, etc. but, those that keep using it will still only pay less than $40 dollars a month on the service and essentially have an unlimited arsenal of designer, name brand ties to make them standout or just feel good in general. I'd love if you guys could check it out and give me your feedback on the site and my idea. Also, the way I have the site laid out is a blog style/e-commerce which I think is a unique idea and probably won't be changing it but I will expand on it and test a few things. Thanks again!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cowboy35

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 21, 2012
San Antonio
Its a very interesting idea and I think with the proper marketing it could catch on. I know that in my dads closet there is a good 100 ties and he has probably only worn one of them in the last ten years. If services like yours became popular I could see people like my dad just selling all there ties then just renting them only when needed. I like the idea and the website. Good Luck!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
The idea seems to be a decent one. I think you need to work on the look of the website. Get rid of all those big pictures. It looks sloppy and it's a pain in the a$$ reading about your idea in between each picture.

Check out these sites. They look very clean and are very appealing to the eye.

Sock of the Month Club

BustedTees - Shirt of the Month Club

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
I should state, I'm not a web designer, programmer nor anything like that. I appreciate the response and will look into making it a little more clean. I'm just testing out the look and layout of it right now and seeing if there is a way to tastefully integrate the blogging, pictures and product element of it.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Thanks very much for the response! I appreciate it. Yes, that's where most of the idea came from. My own father has something like 300, all my uncles have roughly the same and my grandfather had nearly 500! So, I thought a service that could help guys keep their wardrobe fresh and closets clean might be of some use. So, again, thank you very much for your response!

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Indeed, something like that was mentioned on the League but, that wasn't my influence on putting this idea in motion. It occurred to me in a Starbucks when I was getting work from some of my other businesses done. Hurricane Irene had recently rolled through and knocked out the power, internet, etc and the only place that had power within ten miles of me was Starbucks. It was packed and this guy wearing a nice suit and tie ensemble asked if he could sit down. I said, "Sure no problem."

So, he goes up to get his coffee and brings it back over. I guess he didn't like the tops at Starbucks so he had taken it off. He was on his phone looking at emails or whatever and absent-mindedly placed his coffee on the edge of the table and spilled it on himself. He was flipping out, cursing everything and everyone. Finally, he calmed down enough and accepted that his tie was ruined. I said to him, "Hey, I have a very random question to ask you. An idea just popped into my head. Would you be interested in a service where, if something like that happened to you again, you could rent a tie for the day?" He said, half-jokingly, "Absolutely! Do you have one?" I told him sorry I did not. And then we got to discussing the idea at length.

So, finally, this is the conception of it and I plan on adding a couple more elements as time goes on. Anyway, I appreciate your input! Thanks very much for checking it out!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I never would have believed that renting automobile rims would be successful but it sure is around where I live.

Same about renting toys to parent.s

So hey renting ties could be a great business as well.

Best of luck to you.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Thanks for the support, PatrickP! It is incredibly how many sectors the renting model can be applied. I didn't know people rented automotive rims so thanks for that info!

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I think the actual model of renting is a good idea. The product, I am not so sure about. Top of the line ties that you speak of typically is worn by someone who has the money to just buy the tie. The guys who want the Zegna, Armani ties but can't afford it, will typical settle going to Kohl's, J.C Pennys, ect. and just get a nice tie that will do the job. Also, with ties, how many ties does one man need? With the right color scheme, he can get away with owning just a handful. 10 ties would be one per day for two weeks.

Another thing to consider is that if you marketing to guys who can't afford to pay $200 per tie, if they want Armani, Ferragamo, Hermes ties..they will find them for cheap enough.

If they are savvy and determined enough, they can get NWT ties off of ebay from these lines for $50 pretty easily.

Or they can get pre-owned ties for even less that are in mint condition.

Not to say it isn't worth a shot, you already got a site made. Goodluck!

Hey Everybody!

It's been a while since I've spent time on this forum. I thought I would ask you guys about your thoughts of this little company I just started. It's an online necktie rental company. In a phrase, "The Netflix of ties." I would appreciate your feedback. The site can be found here and in my signature line.

Now, I started this because I like ties and how they look, especially when you're busting out a suit it just makes you feel good. The problem with tying a suit together, (excuse the unintended pun), can be purchasing good looking ties since they can be very expensive. Sometimes in the the neighborhood of $200+ like Salvatore Ferragamo, Armani, Louis Vuitton etc. So, what I thought might be a good idea, especially for guys my age, is to offer them these type of ties for a low weekly rate. Notice I said weekly and not monthly.

The reason I went for that option is because many will probably only use the service for job interviews, weddings, etc. but, those that keep using it will still only pay less than $40 dollars a month on the service and essentially have an unlimited arsenal of designer, name brand ties to make them standout or just feel good in general. I'd love if you guys could check it out and give me your feedback on the site and my idea. Also, the way I have the site laid out is a blog style/e-commerce which I think is a unique idea and probably won't be changing it but I will expand on it and test a few things. Thanks again!

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I think it's a plausible concept, dnuge3. In this economy, I think the luxury goods rental market is an interesting one. Ive done a lot of reading about exotic car rental companies over the past few days. Once people get accustomed to a particular lifestyle, it's hard to settle for less! But that is exactly what some folks are being forced to do nowadays. I came very close to launching a luxury handbag rental site 2 or 3 years ago, with another Fastlane friend. In the end, we decided that the numbers didn't work for us. But it's the same concept.

My biggest concern about your model is the product itself. Having been in the tie business for 9+ years, I can tell you that the finest ties are expensive not because they're sturdy. They're typically made of pretty delicate silks. Especially the woven's, which are prone to snagging. You would have to include conditions in your T&C some verbiage around damage. Because if a guy eats spaghetti with the same reckless abandon that I drive a rental car, the tenure of your inventory is gonna be pretty darned short!! When you consider, as you mentioned, that most men who wear a tie on a regular basis have a substantial collection, thats because when they add a new cravat into the rotation of 300, it's going to be worn only once/year!! Hence, they last forever.

On the other hand, of you have a stunning new Kiton, Brioni or Carlo Franco seven-fold that retails for $250, and stays rented 100% of the time (less shipping time), it's going to get more wear and tear in one month that most ties do in a year. So just make sure that you account for that when running the numbers.

If you have any questions about any aspect of the necktie business, feel free to ask me. I know how to design em, manufacture em, wholesale em, retail em, photograph em, mend em and clean em. Be happy to share.

damien275x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 18, 2011
I thought about this concept, too. My take on it would be that users could "rent" out their own wardrobe. Not just high end items, but everything. People have heaps of stuff they don't wear that other people could borrow for a night out. Especially women and their shoes, but then again, they might get weird about renting out their stuff. People are desperate/poor right now though.

Where the idea breaks down is that there needs to be some kind of mediator to protect and honor transactions. I guess a feedback/ratings system could work, but it would still require people to meet up directly, and a lot of people don't want to do.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Hey, thanks for the input, Luke. There are many other options out these for someone who really wants to snag the tie. The thing is, most people will probably not go through the arduous process of checking other sites, going to ebay, bidding, etc.

Also, if people have an option to obtain something that makes them feel good and, in their minds, expensive for significantly less than what they would find retail. They generally jump at the chance. Hence why daily deals sites, coupons, discounts etc are incredibly popular. We all have the want to feel good and for many, the clothes we wear is and expression of that. So, I'm not too worried about losing some who want to buy it outright. There are plenty of others who I think would find this service to their liking.

I truly do appreciate the input though and it keeps me thinking of new ways to re-invent the idea and business. You certainly give me a few things to think about.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Hey thanks very much, Jill. Of course the ties are very delicate but, I also know that many of these ties may be out of style in the next few years. It's just the nature of fashion, so I will have to be replacing them with some degree of frequency anyway. All of that is factored into my numbers as well as the damage and loss numbers. I do have a policy that stipulates that if the tie is irreparably damaged or lost the customer will be charged a $150 replacement fee. This seems to be enough to people honest. I also do acknowledge that we are all human and mistakes happen. So, I'm not too much of a hard-a$$.

Thanks very much for your input. I will certainly be in touch and I am always open to suggestions.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Thanks for your comment, damien. Part of the plan of the business is to expand it into other areas of the clothes. More accessories, suits, shirts, etc etc. It would be similar to 99dresses which is a similar concept. To keep people honest within your idea, I think a simple matter of keeping up to date photos might alleviate some concerns as well as a self-policing system. Wherein, if some users get a large number of unsatisfactory ratings, their membership would be revoked. Just a thought. Anyway, thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I thought about this concept, too. My take on it would be that users could "rent" out their own wardrobe. Not just high end items, but everything. People have heaps of stuff they don't wear that other people could borrow for a night out. Especially women and their shoes, but then again, they might get weird about renting out their stuff. People are desperate/poor right now though.

Where the idea breaks down is that there needs to be some kind of mediator to protect and honor transactions. I guess a feedback/ratings system could work, but it would still require people to meet up directly, and a lot of people don't want to do.

Maybe both of you could implement some of the strategies used in this company, not having packages of clothes but rather making them pay for lost or damaged clothes when they break and also making sure you convey your clothes have been cleaned to the customer, sounds like an interesting idea, however, clothing may present a far greater challenge than children's toys. Only the best, Mike39

SHARK TANK SUBTITULADO - TOYGAROO 1-2 - YouTube

RPagel

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 23, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
dnug3,
I think you could definitely be on to something with this, also, how about fashion tips sections for the guys. You could set it up by age, particular fashion looks, color coordination, etc.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
dnug3,
I think you could definitely be on to something with this, also, how about fashion tips sections for the guys. You could set it up by age, particular fashion looks, color coordination, etc.

Hmm, thanks very much for the suggestions, RPagel. I had thought about doing something along those lines. I wondered how it would be monetized though? I guess it would merely be for the value add. If I were to go that route, I'd have to redesign the site abit, divide into sections and segments while still maintaining the blog portion on the front page. I do like the idea very much, RPagel, thanks again!

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Maybe both of you could implement some of the strategies used in this company, not having packages of clothes but rather making them pay for lost or damaged clothes when they break and also making sure you convey your clothes have been cleaned to the customer, sounds like an interesting idea, however, clothing may present a far greater challenge than children's toys. Only the best, Mike39

SHARK TANK SUBTITULADO - TOYGAROO 1-2 - YouTube

Hey Mike,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Clothing would be tough but there are plenty of companies out there who do it. I should probably add that the ties are all professionally cleaned when they come back to us. Thanks again!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I wore a tie every day when I went to Catholic school but have probably worn one less than 10 times in the past 20 years.

In my world, sunny FL, I don't see anyone wear ties but I am sure in the cities guys still do.

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
I wore a tie every day when I went to Catholic school but have probably worn one less than 10 times in the past 20 years.

In my world, sunny FL, I don't see anyone wear ties but I am sure in the cities guys still do.

Yeah, I live near the D.C. and NYC area where a tie is essentially your everyday staple. So, that's part of the reason I got into this sector in the first place. I know the market is here and I know plenty of people who routinely buy ties, from moderately priced($50+), to over $200 on a very regular basis. I thought that this service could also help people save money as well. We shall see, just trying to get the word out there more. Thanks for the post!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, I live near the D.C. and NYC area where a tie is essentially your everyday staple. So, that's part of the reason I got into this sector in the first place. I know the market is here and I know plenty of people who routinely buy ties, from moderately priced($50+), to over $200 on a very regular basis. I thought that this service could also help people save money as well. We shall see, just trying to get the word out there more. Thanks for the post!

If you get a facebook page going post up the URL here I am happy to like it and share whatever you have going on.

Hopefully others would do the same.

hmmmmm maybe we could start a thread where we post our fb page and everyone gives reciprocal shares and likes?

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
If you get a facebook page going post up the URL here I am happy to like it and share whatever you have going on.

Hopefully others would do the same.

hmmmmm maybe we could start a thread where we post our fb page and everyone gives reciprocal shares and likes?

Sure, that'd be great! I'm working on the FB page right now. I suppose if any one else would be interested in doing the same to garner some exposure for everyone, that'd be pretty nice as well.

http://www.facebook.com/WhatATie
Edit: Facebook page if anyone is interested. Still being worked on....

dnuge3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2009
USA
Alright, if you guys want to try it out so you're not risking $10/ wk, I've given it a trial period for everyone to check it out for $1.99 for the first month. Yes, I said it, $1.99 for the first month and you'll get full access to the service. Thanks again for all the great responses so far!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.