The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Slowlane salesman, need next chapter

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Surf&Turf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 22, 2014
Mid-Atlantic
I have been in sales for different companies and industries since graduating from college ~ 10 years ago.
I studied business in school, ended up in sales as there wasn't anything else to find at the time.
Currently, I work for a small business and do fairly well for myself. But, I am burnt out on prospecting and hate trading time in a chair for income. It's a great place to work and part of the reason for my writing is guilt, knowing that i'm not motivated as I was before.

I read Millionaire Fastlane years ago and it got me thinking, but then income jumps distracted me and I put it off. I recently started re-reading the book and purchased Unscripted , but haven't started it yet. This winter it really hit me as with daylight savings time it's always dark after work and you can't do anything outside. It depresses me. I've been reading the forum a lot along with listening to business/entrepreneur podcasts in my spare time, etc. That, and i've come to realize that my current income can allow me to buy a lot of stuff, but it can't buy me time while the sun is out on a Tuesday to go for a 30 mile bike ride, climb a mountain, etc. I have 15 days PTO, and they're about used up at this point.

My issue/concern is that I have minimal skills that I can use to transfer to a new business venture.
I can sell, I don't mind talking to people and explaining products. I currently sell very technical products. I am just tired of the exhaustive search for new ones in a very niche market.
Growing up, I did a lot of manual labor jobs, landscaping, catering, etc. I never learned any real hand skills. I was always successful because I did not shy away from hard work and busting my a$$. Unfortunately, college sports and life has given me a bad back and knees - so I really don't want a manual labor business.

So, I have this circular firing squad in my head about what I should do first. Learn a hand skill? Learn a tech skill?
I've been procrastinating for too long, decided i'd air this out today and hope for some feedback.

Thank you for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have been in sales for different companies and industries since graduating from college ~ 10 years ago.
I studied business in school, ended up in sales as there wasn't anything else to find at the time.
Currently, I work for a small business and do fairly well for myself. But, I am burnt out on prospecting and hate trading time in a chair for income. It's a great place to work and part of the reason for my writing is guilt, knowing that i'm not motivated as I was before.

I read Millionaire Fastlane years ago and it got me thinking, but then income jumps distracted me and I put it off. I recently started re-reading the book and purchased Unscripted , but haven't started it yet. This winter it really hit me as with daylight savings time it's always dark after work and you can't do anything outside. It depresses me. I've been reading the forum a lot along with listening to business/entrepreneur podcasts in my spare time, etc. That, and i've come to realize that my current income can allow me to buy a lot of stuff, but it can't buy me time while the sun is out on a Tuesday to go for a 30 mile bike ride, climb a mountain, etc. I have 15 days PTO, and they're about used up at this point.

My issue/concern is that I have minimal skills that I can use to transfer to a new business venture.
I can sell, I don't mind talking to people and explaining products. I currently sell very technical products. I am just tired of the exhaustive search for new ones in a very niche market.
Growing up, I did a lot of manual labor jobs, landscaping, catering, etc. I never learned any real hand skills. I was always successful because I did not shy away from hard work and busting my a$$. Unfortunately, college sports and life has given me a bad back and knees - so I really don't want a manual labor business.

So, I have this circular firing squad in my head about what I should do first. Learn a hand skill? Learn a tech skill?
I've been procrastinating for too long, decided i'd air this out today and hope for some feedback.

Thank you for reading!
Spend some time reading some of the progress threads in here and you’ll see a lot of people building stuff and struggling with sales. Maybe you can offer them some advice and start learning how you can apply your sales skills to web design, digital marketing, mobile apps, etc?

You don’t have to do the physical work to run a cleaning company, or a lawn care business. Find some podcasts of Rohan Gilkes who created Maids In Black.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
In my view, technical selling is the best skill to have starting off. If you can sell, then you have a huge leg up on making the business you do decide to pull the trigger on succeed!

Allow yourself patience. Wait for the right opportunity that fulfills the CENTS commandments, and then go full force once you identify it. Hiring people for all the other technical work is easy compared to having someone do the sales side of it.

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
Lol are you trolling bro?

You legit have the skill that 99% of people lack. You already have the number 1 skill necessary to become rich, gain freedom, and do whatever the F*ck you want Dude.

SALES.

Maybe I misunderstood - you’re in sales, but are you good? Is your current income based on performance or is it mostly salary and a little commission?

If you can sell all you need is a new opp with more upside, possible equity and/or residual income from deals closed, higher ticket, etc....

what’s your pay structure like now?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

You legit have the skill that 99% of people lack. You already have the number 1 skill necessary to become rich, gain freedom, and do whatever the F*ck you want Dude.

SALES.

Maybe I misunderstood - you’re in sales, but are you good? Is your current income based on performance or is it mostly salary and a little commission?

If you can sell all you need is a new opp with more upside, possible equity and/or residual income from deals closed, higher ticket, etc....

I have a salesman friend who’s struggling to build a business. He hasn’t been given something to sell. He has to determine what the market wants, figure out how to deliver it, do so profitably, etc.

I’d say sales isn’t the number one skill for growing profitable businesses. I’d say the skills of growing profitable businesses is the number one skill for growing profitable businesses.

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
I have a salesman friend who’s struggling to build a business. He hasn’t been given something to sell. He has to determine what the market wants, figure out how to deliver it, do so profitably, etc.

I’d say sales isn’t the number one skill for growing profitable businesses. I’d say the skills of growing profitable businesses is the number one skill for growing profitable businesses.

1. your friend is a salesman, but likely not a good one

2. I supposed youd also say gas isn’t what makes a car move, and that it’s the collaboration of the internal combustable engine and all of the inner workings that does

Rule of thumb for me is when someone starts giving advice with, “Oh I have a friend who...” stop listening to the advice. Listen to people who have done it (like me and MJ) not people who haven’t (most people on this forum hiding behind a computer talking about theory and concept and opinion based on the few unsuccessful people they know in real life)

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Listen to people who have done it like me..
Can you make an intro thread, so we know who we're listening to?

All we can gather from your post history is: you like sales, dislike many of the users here, sold a piece of real estate at some point, and appear to be running or starting a shopify dropshipping company. Can we learn more about you?

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
Can you make an intro thread, so we know who we're listening to?

All we can gather from your post history is: you like sales, dislike many of the users here, sold a piece of real estate at some point, and appear to be running or starting a shopify dropshipping company. Can we learn more about you?

I’m providing real and valuable input in the comments I make - not just meaningless baseless suggestions, like ‘maybe try this’ or ‘can you try that‘ — and while I didn’t explicitly say I don’t like most of the users here, you’re right, I just don’t think it’s responsible for people who haven’t done it or have no specific first hand knowledge of something to give any sort of advice. It’s not right.

you can learn plenty from me by just reading my posts, and looks like you’ve already deduced quite a bit, so just keep following me and I promise you’ll learn a lot.

I’m not an entrepreneur; I’m a [real] businessman in BOSTON and you’re welcome to listen or not.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I’m providing real and valuable input in the comments I make - not just meaningless baseless suggestions, like ‘maybe try this’ or ‘can you try that‘ — and while I didn’t explicitly say I don’t like most of the users here, you’re right, I just don’t think it’s responsible for people who haven’t done it or have no specific first hand knowledge of something to give any sort of advice. It’s not right.

you can learn plenty from me by just reading my posts, and looks like you’ve already deduced quite a bit, so just keep following me and I promise you’ll learn a lot.

I’m not an entrepreneur; I’m a [real] businessman in BOSTON and you’re welcome to listen or not.
Ok, as you're undoubtedly aware, absent an intro with what you do and plan to do, you're essentially an anonymous user "hiding behind a computer screen" that's calling out a highly respected user and staff member, whose credentials are openly well known, and whose business acumen has been vouched for by dozens of other known fastlane entities (there are SO MANY as you will find if you stick around) on the forum.

To me it seems hypocritical and just poor form. Also, it's a bit rude... but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
Ok, as you're undoubtedly aware, absent an intro with what you do and plan to do, you're essentially an anonymous user "hiding behind a computer screen" that's calling out a highly respected user and staff member, whose credentials are openly well known, and whose business acumen has been vouched for by dozens of other known fastlane entities (there are SO MANY as you will find if you stick around) on the forum.

To me it seems hypocritical and just poor form. Also, it's a bit rude... but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

I didn’t ‘call out’ anyone and honestly not sure who you’re referring to that you’re describing as highly respected or a staff member, but ban me I guess? It’s the epitome of the pussification of america when someone doesn’t like the way something is said, and so they process it as being called out - sad. I won’t be doing this back and forth that you’re trying to bait me to do, and if you think my posts aren’t useful then like I said, have this highly respected user ban me...but that’s only a detriment to the many users who need to hear the truth instead of getting happy ears from the cyber cheerleaders who are high on GaryV podcasts...

The OP in this thread is actually far ahead than he thinks - that’s the point I made to him, and immediately someone chimes in without any advice but rather than to disagree with my comment with their arbitrary all encompassing non-sensical point of view that helps no one. Go bother him bro, cause I will leave and stop helping those who need it if people like you are going to cry because my posts are right but haven’t formally introduced myself.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Thank you for reading!
Write sales book and conduct training seminars.

I am in financial sales.

There are a lot of old schools sales tactics that no longer work due to internet and buyers behavior change.

Selling in different industries require different strategies and skills. In financial sales case size determines everything. Ability to have some big accounts and work with them for long terms save a lot of efforts compared to someone who tries to sell the same policy to everyone.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Guys... it’s ok. I only wanted OP to not be hard on himself if he’s doing sales and doesn’t have a business yet. They’re not quite the same skills.

Welcome to the forum @Bud Fox.

Surf&Turf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 22, 2014
Mid-Atlantic

SALES.

No, not trolling. I see where you are coming from and appreciate the input. Current position is ~ 50/50 when it comes to compensation structure.

Write sales book and conduct training seminars.

I am in financial sales.

There are a lot of old schools sales tactics that no longer work due to internet and buyers behavior change.

Selling in different industries require different strategies and skills. In financial sales case size determines everything. Ability to have some big accounts and work with them for long terms save a lot of efforts compared to someone who tries to sell the same policy to everyone.

I agree with the comment on adjusting sales tactics. I email/call about 80%/20% when it use to be quite the opposite. Most of my customer interactions start with engineers who, in my experience, prefer a more passive approach. Less pressure to respond to an email than a phone call I suppose.

I do appreciate the commentary from everyone. Just trying to figure out what I want to "make mine".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...