The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Slowlane salesman, 180k/year.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Reddas

New Contributor
Sep 14, 2020
Scandinavia
Hey everyone,

I'm 29 years old and been in sales since my early 20s.

Currently making around 180k/year, working 35-40hours a week, running my own small business where I primarily make sales for another company through cold-calling.
This set-up pretty much violates all CENTS commandents. It's hitchhiking.

Positives - I can increase my savings, I got some autonomy, work from home, and it's pretty easy money.
But overall there's extreme limitations to the business, and no huge upside you can really shoot for.

Got about 200.000$ saved up, and I got extremely low expenses at the moment.

So right now I'm thinking about how I can invest all my energy and time into a REAL business that got a solid foundation for fastlane success.

And the opportunity cost by staying with what I'm doing now for the long-term.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Process

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Welcome to the forum! Being able to cold call means you likely can read people well.

You might wanna check out the rentals/real estate section. Then you can use your cash flow, reserves and people skills to buy scalable assets.

I have a lot of friends in sales who are buying their freedom that way.

jackBruh

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 14, 2020
Melbourne
Are there any contracts in place to prevent you making an improved version of what you're selling already?

Kasimir

Contributor
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Welcome to the forum.
Making 180k/year with cold calling is impressive.
What about starting a business with somebody who has a great business plan. You could be co-owner and responsible for marketing/sales. You split the company 50/50 and try to grow it. When it has a reasonable size you can take a step back and let the business run without you. But you probably aren't able to pay yourself a salary of 180k in the first year.

Another idea could be to buy a business. You have to invest a lot of time to find a suitable business but then you don't have to build everything up. And you can try to improve the business with your sales knowledge and then hire people and then take a step back.

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm 29 years old and been in sales since my early 20s.

Currently making around 180k/year, working 35-40hours a week, running my own small business where I primarily make sales for another company through cold-calling.
This set-up pretty much violates all CENTS commandents. It's hitchhiking.

Positives - I can increase my savings, I got some autonomy, work from home, and it's pretty easy money.
But overall there's extreme limitations to the business, and no huge upside you can really shoot for.

Got about 200.000$ saved up, and I got extremely low expenses at the moment.

So right now I'm thinking about how I can invest all my energy and time into a REAL business that got a solid foundation for fastlane success.

And the opportunity cost by staying with what I'm doing now for the long-term.
Geez, I’m impressed! Making 180k via cold calling is no easy feat. You’ve got incredible initiative and amazing marketing skills which anyone could benefit from. At 29, the sky’s the limit for you. Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
R

Reddas

New Contributor
Sep 14, 2020
Scandinavia
@Process

Thanks!

Do you know what results your friends gotten in real estate? And over how long?

@jackBruh

There is, and I can't really scale this operation due to contract limitations.
So it's not possible to leverage my skills in doing what i'm currently doing in any significant way.

If I created my own product I could start out by selling it myself, and through practice find the best method for closing deals at a high-level.

From there I could recruit and train sales-people in this highly effective method which could scale given that there were enough leads, I'm able to recruit and train people well, and there was enough fat in the product for profits.

The thing is I dont have any solid skills in creating a product - no computer programming skills, or something like that.

Listened to this podcast a while back by Naval Ravikant who talked about that the ultimate combo being able to create product and being able to sell. Which makes sense to me, so it'd be smart to find people who got the skills that I lack and who are willing to go ALL-in on a fastlane business. The interesting question is how do you find co-founders?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-TZqOsVCNM

@Kashmir

Actually the kind of thinking I've been doing, and just wrote about to JackBruh.
Partnering up with a person with skills you lack.
I havn't thought about buying an existing business before you wrote about it - something I could look into.

@Chasta_tea

Thanks.

I believe it's a learnable skills for the most part, although some people got brains that are more "wired" for selling, and other are more "wired" for computers.

There's a lot of sales books / courses out there of varying quality.
Some of it is VERY good, and will get you extraordinary results if applied.

Being on the phone everyday improving your skills + studying every day = improvement in skill

Last edited:

Kasimir

Contributor
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
@Kashmir

Actually the kind of thinking I've been doing, and just wrote about to JackBruh.
Partnering up with a person with skills you lack.
I havn't thought about buying an existing business before you wrote about it - something I could look into.
If you have some capital it's pretty easy to buy a business for example from a baby boomer. Who did a good job with the business but for example never looked into FB marketing, which could have boosted his business. If you would be passionate about doing something like this I can only recommend it.
There are a lot of threads about this topic, in my mind, the best one is this one.

And then if there is a need you can partner up with somebody when you feel the need for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
For those with the "can web design be Fastlane" question this video by @MJ DeMarco is a great...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom