The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I continue Comp Science College or Dropout?

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Hi guys! Great forum here!

I'm 20 and I'm in a point of my life where I really feel stuck, I'm at my second year of Comp science (switched from comp engineering) in college and I've realized I hate programming and staying in classroom listening to old professors..what should I do? Continue education on my own?

I really feel to drop out college because I'm quite confused on the job/career or major I should do.. is this bad?
I mean in this new economy it's important to not waste time and I'm wasting lots of time to figure things out..also I've read the Fastlane book and now I want to create my own life.

The only "good" thing is I pay less than 1000$ per year in college where I live (Europe), it's not expensive as in the USA.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Few of us had any idea at 20. Suggest doing what I did and getting some internships in your chosen field. Actually doing it in the real world and getting experience will help you decide if you want to do it and help you listen and learn better if you do.

Advice: Do not jump without a parachute or soft place to land!
Advice: If you want to know if it is for you, go DO IT instead of learning / reading / researching / talking / etc.

WebWizards

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 27, 2016
Europe
Stay in school. Work on a side bzz. Its a very good degree. From which country are u?
I know guys who dropped out and failed quite hard.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
Hey,

I'm 20 years old, studying computer science, and I've had serious thoughts about dropping out too. I'm also doing self-publishing and running my ecommerce business on the side. For the last half of this year, I was pretty much running it from my college room. There were so many boxes, I could barely move. The looks on people's faces when they came into my room were hilarious. :p The main difference is that I'm in the UK, so uni is much more expensive for me.

On one hand, you could drop out and learn programming yourself. Hell, you could learn the entire curriculum yourself. All the resources are out there on the web. But will you actually do it? What's your plan for dropping out? It's going to be a lot tougher to learn an entire degree on your own. If you have another plan and you're confident enough in your abilities then by all means take the leap, but if not then I'd caution against it.

Computer science is a solid degree, it gives you lots of options, and you're lucky enough to barely have to pay for it. Sure, if you drop out you'll have more free time, but will you actually make any use of that free time?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
FIND YOUR CHEESE.

The cheese is found in the real world, not stuck in some classroom. You are just Hem and Haw sitting in the classroom. If you haven't read the book, I suggest you read it. But get moving.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
When I went to college, my first major was Criminology. I was super excited because that's all I ever thought about doing. My first class was an 8am class and the professor was super-monotonously boring! I hated it. I hated waking up early to go listen to this guy talk about theories and paradigms. The only cool thing was touring a local prison. It was this first class that ruined my experience.

Luckily (is it actually luck?), I was in the military and got activated for a deployment. During the first part of our training, I just so happened to become friends with a guy who was a finance major at another school. He taught me a lot about the stock market and business and I was instantly hooked! A year later after I returned, I changed my major to Finance.

A couple summer classes and a couple finance classes later and not really getting anything out of Finance that I expected, I got deployed again after Hurricane Katrina.

As part of the Finance curriculum, I had to take an Economics class. I had no idea what Economics was, nor even knew that was a word (I'm not exaggerating). My first professor was so awesome. He would bring a newspaper in every day and go through articles and talk about how they related to Economics. He had a running bet that he would pay someone $100 if they could bring him a newspaper article that had nothing to do with Economics. Nobody had done it yet.

I changed my major to Economics after that and specifically requested him to be my advisor. I now have a degree in Economics, and although I don't work in the Economics field, Economics has had the biggest impact on my life and how I think.

My advice, change your major if you don't enjoy it, but don't drop out. While a college degree isn't the "be all, end all," it can be extremely valuable to you in the future.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
This guy has some pretty good suggestions. I recommend you watch the video below.

G

GuestUserX09

I tried to do both at the same time - in CS also.

In short, if your more than 30% there, just finish it. I dragged it along longer than I needed to because I was stuck on the value of it.

Or transfer your credits to a community college and just take the associates degree. Thats what I did.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Here's the thing made simple: the function of the degree is to make you hireable.

Do you plan on working for someone else ever?
If yes, tough it out.
If you have no plan on feeding someone else's pig ever, then college has no real use for you.
Finish it while you do your own thing, or cut the cord and go do something else right now (what is this whisper I hear? sales, I hear?).

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
The one who finishes a degree is more likely obtain a better job.
The one who obtains a better job is more likely to build their own business.

Success begets success

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Stay in school. Work on a side bzz. Its a very good degree. From which country are u?
I know guys who dropped out and failed quite hard.

I live in Italy right now where college are cheap and there are really good professors here, but too much theory and less time spent on practice like programming or tech projects.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Hey,

I'm 20 years old, studying computer science, and I've had serious thoughts about dropping out too. I'm also doing self-publishing and running my ecommerce business on the side. For the last half of this year, I was pretty much running it from my college room. There were so many boxes, I could barely move. The looks on people's faces when they came into my room were hilarious. :p The main difference is that I'm in the UK, so uni is much more expensive for me.

On one hand, you could drop out and learn programming yourself. Hell, you could learn the entire curriculum yourself. All the resources are out there on the web. But will you actually do it? What's your plan for dropping out? It's going to be a lot tougher to learn an entire degree on your own. If you have another plan and you're confident enough in your abilities then by all means take the leap, but if not then I'd caution against it.

Computer science is a solid degree, it gives you lots of options, and you're lucky enough to barely have to pay for it. Sure, if you drop out you'll have more free time, but will you actually make any use of that free time?

Thanks for your reply. I know computer science is very good to learn how to solve problems.
Here some things I've realized during the last year:

• Programming become boring in classroom (also listening to old professor): I'd like to create something on my own, I'm searching for some cool projects on Codeacademy.
  • I really like electronics because since I was a teen I've played with circtuts and where I live I studied electronics in high school (I've made a robot).. maybe I should have started with electronics engineering instead.
  • I like also working on some websites doing SEO with my free time (made little affiliate niches website).
  • If college isn't for me I could go working as electronic technician or electrician but I won't get a degree this way.
Also after one year of Computer engineering I've worked as waiter in a pub and hated it, then I switched back studying again but going with Computer science..

Working (and not going college) can help sometime but I don't know if I'll get clarity for my goals.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
When I went to college, my first major was Criminology. I was super excited because that's all I ever thought about doing. My first class was an 8am class and the professor was super-monotonously boring! I hated it. I hated waking up early to go listen to this guy talk about theories and paradigms. The only cool thing was touring a local prison. It was this first class that ruined my experience.

Luckily (is it actually luck?), I was in the military and got activated for a deployment. During the first part of our training, I just so happened to become friends with a guy who was a finance major at another school. He taught me a lot about the stock market and business and I was instantly hooked! A year later after I returned, I changed my major to Finance.

A couple summer classes and a couple finance classes later and not really getting anything out of Finance that I expected, I got deployed again after Hurricane Katrina.

As part of the Finance curriculum, I had to take an Economics class. I had no idea what Economics was, nor even knew that was a word (I'm not exaggerating). My first professor was so awesome. He would bring a newspaper in every day and go through articles and talk about how they related to Economics. He had a running bet that he would pay someone $100 if they could bring him a newspaper article that had nothing to do with Economics. Nobody had done it yet.

I changed my major to Economics after that and specifically requested him to be my advisor. I now have a degree in Economics, and although I don't work in the Economics field, Economics has had the biggest impact on my life and how I think.

My advice, change your major if you don't enjoy it, but don't drop out. While a college degree isn't the "be all, end all," it can be extremely valuable to you in the future.

Thanks for reply man. So you've changed your major two times? I've already changed my major once from Comp engineering to Comp science.. I'm quite confused now, maybe I've should have started with electronics engineering or economics.

I can't change my major now because my parents want me to finish one major (comp science).
They want me (that's correctly) to make a decision and stick with it.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Here's the thing made simple: the function of the degree is to make you hireable.

Do you plan on working for someone else ever?
If yes, tough it out.
If you have no plan on feeding someone else's pig ever, then college has no real use for you.
Finish it while you do your own thing, or cut the cord and go do something else right now (what is this whisper I hear? sales, I hear?).

I'm thinking about getting some real experience in B2B sales, I see sales people are needed everywhere. With a Comp science degree I could work in sales but in the IT sector, it would be more interesting I think.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Thanks for reply man. So you've changed your major two times? I've already changed my major once from Comp engineering to Comp science.. I'm quite confused now, maybe I've should have started with electronics engineering or economics.

I can't change my major now because my parents want me to finish one major (comp science).
They want me (that's correctly) to make a decision and stick with it.

There are a lot of people (read: most) who change their major. You might go into college interested in one subject, but learn about something new and be more interested in that. You're not going to want to flip flop constantly because it may extend your years and college -- and cost, but do what you think will be most valuable to you. Don't just learn a subject. Learn a skill. My degree in Economics didn't teach me a skill. I just learned how to read and take a test.

In a lot of ways, I wish I would have gotten my degree in something else like engineering, computer science, or accounting/finance. I tried to find a job in the Economics field, but couldn't even get an interview. Right now, I don't work in any field related to Economics. I'm fortunate to have the job that I do, but I do know deep down that I want to start a business that will allow me to have more freedom to do what I want to do. I want to add more value to the world. The only way I'm going to leave my current job is if I start a business and am able to do so well that it makes more sense to resign.

Maybe you can look at the other curriculums and see if another one will relate to what you're currently in. That way you won't lose your credits.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
I live in Italy right now where college are cheap and there are really good professors here, but too much theory and less time spent on practice like programming or tech projects.

If you hate coding, drop out. That doesn't even need to enter fastlane territory.

If you love coding, drop out. No college degree apart from top US schools will give you something self learning on the internet won't. I know a bunch of skilled coders who joined college with me on the #1 Portugues Engineering school, today one of them ranted about how much time the whole thing is taking and how little do they know because they don't have time for extra projects. "I'm reasonable skilled, but I'm not exceptional at anything while I know I could be"

It took me 3.5 years, 2 degrees, and 200k$ in revenue from my business to drop out. Everyone is different.

(I also paid 1000€/year, which is gr€at, but sucks when you don't have a proper sense of how much your time is/could be worth. Thats the key element, will dropping out really give you that much time, and will you be able to leverage that time properly?)

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
There are a lot of people (read: most) who change their major. You might go into college interested in one subject, but learn about something new and be more interested in that. You're not going to want to flip flop constantly because it may extend your years and college -- and cost, but do what you think will be most valuable to you. Don't just learn a subject. Learn a skill. My degree in Economics didn't teach me a skill. I just learned how to read and take a test.

In a lot of ways, I wish I would have gotten my degree in something else like engineering, computer science, or accounting/finance. I tried to find a job in the Economics field, but couldn't even get an interview. Right now, I don't work in any field related to Economics. I'm fortunate to have the job that I do, but I do know deep down that I want to start a business that will allow me to have more freedom to do what I want to do. I want to add more value to the world. The only way I'm going to leave my current job is if I start a business and am able to do so well that it makes more sense to resign.

Maybe you can look at the other curriculums and see if another one will relate to what you're currently in. That way you won't lose your credits.

Thanks for advice. Yes, I see most jobs now require skills and experience everywhere.
A degree is just a piece of paper.
Computer science college has become boring for me.

I should make a final decision if switch college maybe I'd do electronics engineering (I create electronics circuits on my own) or I'll find some job like electrician while figuring out what to do next.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
If you hate coding, drop out. That doesn't even need to enter fastlane territory.

If you love coding, drop out. No college degree apart from top US schools will give you something self learning on the internet won't. I know a bunch of skilled coders who joined college with me on the #1 Portugues Engineering school, today one of them ranted about how much time the whole thing is taking and how little do they know because they don't have time for extra projects. "I'm reasonable skilled, but I'm not exceptional at anything while I know I could be"

It took me 3.5 years, 2 degrees, and 200k$ in revenue from my business to drop out. Everyone is different.

(I also paid 1000€/year, which is gr€at, but sucks when you don't have a proper sense of how much your time is/could be worth. Thats the key element, will dropping out really give you that much time, and will you be able to leverage that time properly?)

I really don't hate coding, I already create electronics circuits on my own and if I can program those circuits with a computer, I'm happy to do that.
Maybe the college classes in computer science are boring for me.
If I dropout I'll take a technical job while figuring out what to do.

I've found this website if can interest you guys: https://www.freecodecamp.com/, I'll use it to improve my coding because you work on real life problems.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I've done another math exam guys (pure math!). I've passed the Test but then professor asked me hard question about a math theorem WTF
So finally I didn't pass the exam and the professor told me that I must not memorize formulas but understand them and learn how to communicate with a proper math language.

That's ok but I'm pissed off of how college and grades work, "test exams" really don't test your real knowledge or if you are an "expert" in that subject..

I know math can help you to "think systematically" but I don't see how to apply these pure math theories and theorems in the real world or real business..

I don't know what to do if to continue to cram for math exams and do what the professor tell me or dropout, get a crap job while figure out what to do next.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
Don't drop out just yet. Give it another 6-12 months and see how you feel then. In the interim, start working on some real world programming problems and see if you can make some money doing it.

I studied Mechanical Engineering and had to take several programming courses. I absolutely loathed programming in college and felt I was terrible at it. My first job out of school required intensive programming and I came to love it and now I see the incredible advantage it gives me when working on fastlane ventures.

I think if you simply quit because you don't like how your professors teach it, you will be starting a trend. Work through it and come to your conclusion once you have really experienced life outside the classroom so to speak.

Last edited:

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Don't drop out just yet. Give it another 6-12 months and see how you feel then. In the interim, start working on some real world programming problems and see if you can make some money doing it.

I studied Mechanical Engineering and had to take several programming courses. I absolutely loathed programming in college and felt I was terrible at it. My first job out of school required intensive programming and I came to love it and now I see the incredible advantage it gives me when working on fastlane ventures.

I think if you simply quite because you don't like how your professors teach it, you will be starting a trend. Work through it and come to your conclusion once you have really experienced life outside the classroom so to speak.

So you say better to move on getting the degree in Comp science?
I've already found some websites where you can study open source projects, it seems like a good way to improve real world programming skills.
Thanks for your reply.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
So you say better to move on getting the degree in Comp science?
I've already found some websites where you can study open source projects, it seems like a good way to improve real world programming skills.
Thanks for your reply.
Well at least keep at for a bit longer and review those open source projects. If you still don't find you are interested then you know what to do.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Well at least keep at for a bit longer and review those open source projects. If you still don't find you are interested then you know what to do.

Thanks I'll keep coding. I'm only scared if I leave college what can happen dropping out at least without a Bachelor.. it would be only bit harder to get an entry job.
I plan to get my first money from tech jobs to help me to start my own ventures then.

RodrikTheBizKid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 11, 2016
Denver
Thanks I'll keep coding. I'm only scared if I leave college what can happen dropping out at least without a Bachelor.. it would be only bit harder to get an entry job.
I plan to get my first money from tech jobs to help me to start my own ventures then.
How far are you into your degree? If you are close to being done finish it because you are only 20, time is on your side. Once you get it, you can get your target entry level tech job to help you start your ventures. Sounds like you have a plan already so go with it.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
How far are you into your degree? If you are close to being done finish it because you are only 20, time is on your side. Once you get it, you can get your target entry level tech job to help you start your ventures. Sounds like you have a plan already so go with it.

I'm finishing my first year of computer science because first I've dropped out from Computer Engineering and then after some months I've got back into Computer Science.
So, I'm (unfortunately) far from getting a degree.
If I had started all again maybe I'd have gone with electronics engineering (studied since high school) but now I'm studying computer science.
I already resell used stuff to make some money and I see I'm better at selling than coding at the moment.
Coding is a good skills but I think sales is more important.

RodrikTheBizKid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 11, 2016
Denver
I'm finishing my first year of computer science because first I've dropped out from Computer Engineering and then after some months I've got back into Computer Science.
So, I'm (unfortunately) far from getting a degree.
If I had started all again maybe I'd have gone with electronics engineering (studied since high school) but now I'm studying computer science.
I already resell used stuff to make some money and I see I'm better at selling than coding at the moment.
Coding is a good skills but I think sales is more important.

Sounds like you definitely don't know what degree to go for and since you have that inclination towards sales and know that it is more important in the long run then maybe it is better for you to look beyond college. Keep in mind though that if you drop out you should be sure that you are going to live the FL mentality every day and do what it takes to get those sales and the job you want without a degree. In the end think thoroughly about your decision, you are 20 after all. Write down the pros and cons of each path and really see what you want because no one knows the small details of your situation better than you. Wish you the best friend, keep us updated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.