The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Set up the landing page before or after further testing the idea?

Idea threads

Ludo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 30, 2018
The Hague, The Netherlands
Hi guys,

I've currently got an idea that I suspect might be very successful. It's in SaaS and I already discussed it with my developers to get an idea on the time/costs to development. However, I am currently not certain what to do. I would like to further test my idea with people that I trust and can advice me on detailed needs in the field.

They would be the category of people that I would sell the SaaS to and might use it themselves. I will meet them in the coming weeks to discuss the benefits etc, however should I set up a landing page? The idea of the landing page would be to give a good impression of the basics of the SaaS, the benefits, and most of all some call to action with leave your e-mailadress behind to stay informed.

Basically I've got two options:
- 1. Set up the landing page to look more serious and keep them involved by getting people signed up on the mailing-list, then continue testing it with people in the field, let the SaaS be developed.
- 2. First test the idea extensively, then set up a landing page, then develop the SaaS.

Does anyone have any experience with this and an idea on a suited order/strategy?

Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
You say you'll reach out to tell potential customers what you're working on, and invite them to have a conversation about what the upcoming product could do for them. How does a landing page visible to the world world (including competitors) help you reach this goal? Do you have traffic that would get prospects excited enough to subscribe to your interest list, without too many competitors getting a free preview too?

Ludo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 30, 2018
You say you'll reach out to tell potential customers what you're working on, and invite them to have a conversation about what the upcoming product could do for them. How does a landing page visible to the world world (including competitors) help you reach this goal? Do you have traffic that would get prospects excited enough to subscribe to your interest list, without too many competitors getting a free preview too?
Thanks.

Correct, the conversations with customers is to get them to be future buyers and at the same time get feedback. The idea was to look my serious by releasing a landing page and therefore more feedback, compared to me with nothing to show except telling them about the benefits of my upcoming service.

I am fairly inexperienced with marketing, so it's uncertain if maybe being taken more serious is and getting more attention, in return for informing my competitors is a good tradeoff. So you have a very good point with that.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
The idea was to look my serious by releasing a landing page and therefore more feedback, compared to me with nothing to show except telling them about the benefits of my upcoming service.

Instead of a conversation in which we promise how the future software will be great... we'll have a conversation about a diagram on the web site, which promises how the future software will be great. ;) I'm not really sure that gets you farther ahead.

You might find the book Lean Startup helpful. Here's an overview
The Lean Startup | Methodology

The important thing is to get into conversations with the potential buyers. The only reason for a web page about the upcoming product, is that you have some people already visiting your site (or you could get traffic with some ads, social media posts etc.), and you can convert that interest into a desire to talk with you about the new product. Does that really get you a lot closer to the Minimum Viable Product (a key concept of "lean startup")? Maybe it does. Maybe you can use mail and telephone calls to reach enough of the right people.

Ludo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 30, 2018
Instead of a conversation in which we promise how the future software will be great... we'll have a conversation about a diagram on the web site, which promises how the future software will be great. ;) I'm not really sure that gets you farther ahead.

You might find the book Lean Startup helpful. Here's an overview
The Lean Startup | Methodology

The important thing is to get into conversations with the potential buyers. The only reason for a web page about the upcoming product, is that you have some people already visiting your site (or you could get traffic with some ads, social media posts etc.), and you can convert that interest into a desire to talk with you about the new product. Does that really get you a lot closer to the Minimum Viable Product (a key concept of "lean startup")? Maybe it does. Maybe you can use mail and telephone calls to reach enough of the right people.
Haha thanks you are right on that, a personal approach is way more suited. I'll definitely read to book, seems like just the info that will help.

Maybe the following steps would be the best:
1. Discuss concept with potential befriended buyers in the field by meeting them in person
2. Apply and adjust based on the feedback
3. Start development of MVP.
4. Inform MVP progress to potential befriended buyers, by meeting in person and mailing, adjust MVP based on feedback
5. When development is almost finished release landing page, with for example certain amount discount for 1 year for pre-buyers and building up mailing list
6. Market the product and continue to get feedback/wishlist from buyers
7. Release service and full website (support etc.)
8. Market and get feedback/improve product loop...

What is your take on this proces?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
What is your take on this proces?

That sounds excellent. I think this is as far ahead as you can plan before you have the conversations with the buyers. As you learn from them, you'll improve and adjust the plan based on what you discover.

Ludo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 30, 2018
That sounds excellent. I think this is as far ahead as you can plan before you have the conversations with the buyers. As you learn from them, you'll improve and adjust the plan based on what you discover.
Thanks, I'll go ahead with the plan and see where that goes! :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've been building my website in WordPress, and I do direct people to private pages (through links) that are not accessible to the public without that link -- but then the potential customer can access the rest of my site. You might talk to your web developer about something like that.

Ludo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 30, 2018
I've been building my website in WordPress, and I do direct people to private pages (through links) that are not accessible to the public without that link -- but then the potential customer can access the rest of my site. You might talk to your web developer about something like that.
That's a good one! When I have my MVP I'll definitely open it only to trusted people and use this technique. Good way to have a website and showcase the service/product , without sharing it with everyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.