The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling on Amazon? Amazon Vendors are vastly different than Amazon Sellers.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thanks for the links, I have brand registry for all the brands I have already. I wasn't aware you could get access to AMS via that however. I have only ever seen the AMS main signup page that the OP posted which has different requirements.

It's been a few years since we did it, but I will see what I can find for you. I think when we got brand registry, that is where we got the vendor access for AMS. I will go back and see what I can find for 'ya.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thanks for the links, I have brand registry for all the brands I have already. I wasn't aware you could get access to AMS via that however. I have only ever seen the AMS main signup page that the OP posted which has different requirements.

Found a bread crumb trail
https://ams.amazon.in/faq

(note, that is from India but process is similar)

By the way, if you have multiple brands in the brand registry, they all tie together in one unified Amazon Marketing Services account.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you mean sponsored products? Yes you can use the sponsored products marketing tool with Amazon as a seller but your ads will be displayed BELOW search results....if you want your ads to appear at the top of the page rather than appear below search results, in the right column on search results pages, or in an ad placement on detail pages you will need an advertising account available only to Vendors.

Troy,

I just don't understand how you say that you are an expert yet are 100% wrong in some of your posts. Are you talking about these ads below? How do you not know this very simple piece of information? All my ads appear above the search results. Sponsored ads will get you there.

Untitled.png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The upside is that I have learned through this train wreck of a thread that there might be an advertising vehicle available to me for Amazon that I am not using. I need to discern how it is different from the standard Amazon PPC, but I might have stumbled upon (learned!) something. I will post if I learn more. I think it might be redundant to sponsored ads / ppc campaigns in FBA or otherwise as the desired results he gets I already get, but I will explore if there is a better back door through the Amazon Marketing Services account we have.

And no, with that brand we are not an Amazon vendor but the access was granted once we got the brand registry.

Up until now, I thought the main benefit of our Amazon Marketing Services account was a brand specific URL and customized Amazon branding page.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One thing I appreciate about @biophase is he can do with one picture what I use 1,000 words to fail at explaining.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So there are different types of searches in Amazon Marketing Services. I haven't watched all three of these yet, and I need to get better educated when time permits about what the results expectations are for each.

Watch our Sponsored Products,Headline Search Ads, and Product Display Ads videos in the AMS YouTube channel.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread is turning out to be quite educational, despite the rough start.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The upside is that I have learned through this train wreck of a thread that there might be an advertising vehicle available to me for Amazon that I am not using. I need to discern how it is different from the standard Amazon PPC, but I might have stumbled upon (learned!) something. I will post if I learn more. I think it might be redundant to sponsored ads / ppc campaigns in FBA or otherwise as the desired results he gets I already get, but I will explore if there is a better back door through the Amazon Marketing Services account we have.

And no, with that brand we are not an Amazon vendor but the access was granted once we got the brand registry.

Up until now, I thought the main benefit of our Amazon Marketing Services account was a brand specific URL and customized Amazon branding page.

I have not tried it, but I think it was targeted at larger brands that wanted to advertise even though they are not the direct sellers. Like a franchisor would do for a franchisee. With that, and remember i have never used it, I would imagine the difference would be that you can target any keywords and show up ala adwords, vs sponsored products which will only show up to relevant keywords that you have added.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
So there are different types of searches in Amazon Marketing Services. I haven't watched all three of these yet, and I need to get better educated when time permits about what the results expectations are for each.

I'm confused on the foundational differences being discussed here. I know what an Amazon Seller Account is, and am familiar with FBA, but what was Troy discussing? What do vendor accounts specialize in? And what is the Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) referring to... all PPC, Troy's "special" PPC?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The thread was all over the maps, so you can pick and choose a few gold pieces from within it.

Troy was discussing becoming a vendor, selling products to Amazon as a vendor much like Sony or Samsung might, instead of being a seller on Amazon's platform and selling individual units directly to end consumers over Amazon.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
The thread was all over the maps, so you can pick and choose a few gold pieces from within it.

Troy was discussing becoming a vendor, selling products to Amazon as a vendor much like Sony or Samsung might, instead of being a seller on Amazon's platform and selling individual units directly to end consumers over Amazon.

I assume that aiming to become a vendor is unrealistic and more corporate-oriented? AKA Lack of the Commandment of Control?

I'm actually looking for more Gold/AMA threads on this forum for Amazon selling. I have a lot of threads on importing currently in my bookmarks, and I've found one or two of @biophase 's e-commerce AMA's, but I haven't as of yet seen any resources that kind of walks through the back-end process of Amazon Selling.

Even Youtube Tutorials and Walkthrough's skip the back-end fulfillment, Inventory Management, and initial Bookkeeping that would be required starting out.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
HJwfJzEZgvPeRLecs02FiXh7Cz5AdaDQoA-y1Lduu5BS1UVVrr6CQz057IknyDXpybiY5tGTLfdtrJrPLZBaN8OqNu4QZPmna46NdrRxrLa5KiTB0mCykwYLj7UWiYt8un7Egrus6qi6V3uGdN2qfjGb5TTUfCQYVDmpCSutre6lVqk=s0-d-e1-ft

Congratulations!

XXX’s page at Amazon has been approved and is now live. To see the page, visit http://www.amazon.com/XXX

Now that it is live, you can advertise your page above search results at Amazon with keyword targeted Headline Search Ads. Drive sales by reaching the right shoppers with highly relevant ads.

Create your ad today.

Sincerely,
The Amazon Marketing Services Team

*** I have to explore this more. It seems I can drive my overall branding page as an ad above search results. So, thanks OP! Wasn't what you thought it was, but might have opened my eyes to something in my tool box that I didn't even realize was there ***

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
HJwfJzEZgvPeRLecs02FiXh7Cz5AdaDQoA-y1Lduu5BS1UVVrr6CQz057IknyDXpybiY5tGTLfdtrJrPLZBaN8OqNu4QZPmna46NdrRxrLa5KiTB0mCykwYLj7UWiYt8un7Egrus6qi6V3uGdN2qfjGb5TTUfCQYVDmpCSutre6lVqk=s0-d-e1-ft

Congratulations!

XXX’s page at Amazon has been approved and is now live. To see the page, visit http://www.amazon.com/XXX

Now that it is live, you can advertise your page above search results at Amazon with keyword targeted Headline Search Ads. Drive sales by reaching the right shoppers with highly relevant ads.

Create your ad today.

Sincerely,

*** I have to explore this more. It seems I can drive my overall branding page as an ad above search results. So, thanks OP! Wasn't what you thought it was, but might have opened my eyes to something in my tool box that I didn't even realize was there ***

Vig,

I've seen these ads before and had wondered about them before concluding one must be a vendor and not seller. I am brand registered, can you advise what you filed out to receive the above email from Amazon? Thanks

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Congratulations!

Create your ad today.

Sincerely,

A group of us just learned about this this week. As soon as we get home I'm diving in.

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
My brand is registered but I haven't seen any information on AMS registration. I just see 5 options:

https://ams.amazon.com/selectAccountType/ref=ams_home_intro_register
  • I have a Vendor Central login.
  • I have an Advantage Central login
  • I have a Vendor Express login.
  • I want to request an invitation to represent a vendor.
  • I have a Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) account.
Any ideas on where to go? Might just request a call from Seller Central and ask them.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
What is this new toy doing that was normally unavailable to you guys as sellers?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Vig,

I've seen these ads before and had wondered about them before concluding one must be a vendor and not seller. I am brand registered, can you advise what you filed out to receive the above email from Amazon? Thanks

This was just from an update to my Amazon Marketing Services custom page (I added a new product video) but it has been a few years since we got access. Watch this thread though, or others from @AllenCrawley as it sounds like he is about to make this happen for his companies, and he will give you some fresh perspective when he navigates the gauntlet of how to get access to Amazon Marketing Services.

Someone could also shoot a note to seller support, but half the time they have zero idea what you are even talking about, so you might get the wrong information back if you catch the wrong kid in India on the wrong day.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What is this new toy doing that was normally unavailable to you guys as sellers?

To be determined. So far, we have a custom Amazon landing page, ability to add a product video to that, and access some PPC services that are similar to sponsored ads or PPC ads through seller central.

Ramble On

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jun 7, 2014
My brand is registered but I haven't seen any information on AMS registration. I just see 5 options:

https://ams.amazon.com/selectAccountType/ref=ams_home_intro_register
  • I have a Vendor Central login.
  • I have an Advantage Central login
  • I have a Vendor Express login.
  • I want to request an invitation to represent a vendor.
  • I have a Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) account.
Any ideas on where to go? Might just request a call from Seller Central and ask them.

I just submitted for registration.

Select "I have a Vendor Central login"

Click "Next"

It will automatically pull up your Amazon login information.

After signing in it asks for your brand name.

Fill that out and submit.

After an email verification it indicates it usually takes 24 hours to get approved but sometimes takes up to 3 days.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Click "Next"

After an email verification it indicates it usually takes 24 hours to get approved but sometimes takes up to 3 days.

I was just going to ask if anyone has just tried to register. Speed+

Could be the start of something great. When someone takes the time to dissect the PPC options and understands if it gives you different positioning than through Seller Central, please update. Right now, it looks like the "headline search results advertising" might give you the ability to position the entire brand, instead of just an item, at the top of the search results.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
To be determined. So far, we have a custom Amazon landing page, ability to add a product video to that, and access some PPC services that are similar to sponsored ads or PPC ads through seller central.

Okay, and do those landing page services interact with any custom company domains, or is it subdomained by Amazon?

I would assume that Amazon Landing Pages wouldn't be very effective, or as effective as independent landing page services that allow you to customize the domain and directories. I experimented with an A/B Landing Page SaaS a couple of months ago to see how they work, and I feel like you could do a lot on those, even with multiple products.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Okay, and do those landing page services interact with any custom company domains, or is it subdomained by Amazon?

I would assume that Amazon Landing Pages wouldn't be very effective, or as effective as independent landing page services that allow you to customize the domain and directories. I experimented with an A/B Landing Page SaaS a couple of months ago to see how they work, and I feel like you could do a lot on those, even with multiple products.

Amazon.com/yourbrandname

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada

Click "Next"

Thank you!

I feel silly, but I'm always worried about doing anything new with the account.

Ramble On

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jun 7, 2014
Thank you!

I feel silly, but I'm always worried about doing anything new with the account.

Not a problem. At my age I don't have any time to waste. I just jump first and ask questions later.

Thanks to the others in this thread that brought out this info.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Click "Next"

Thanks for posting this, I was looking into about 4 months ago and never just clicked sign up to see where it would take me... now i feel kinda silly!

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Vigilante

Well, the cat's out of the bag on this. I heard that Scott Voelker had a guest on recently that mentioned using the Vendor Express backdoor to get to AMS, and now it's being posted about here. There will probably be untapped profits here for a bit, but it'll be swamped with people in the near future, just like Sponsored Products is now.

I had an awesome headline banner ad above the search results in my highly competitive niche for months, but recently new people have come in with higher bids and i'm getting fewer and fewer displays. Here's a screencap of a campaign I ran:

Shot%203_zpsmaatxtox.png

d0fb74d79d887cb8e26a2fe517714839.png

The average CPC was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than Sponsored product ads. An example: To get on the first page for sponsored products with my main keyword, you needed to bid $1.50. My average CPC for displaying at the top of the page for the same keyword was $0.20.

I will say that click traffic to the headline ads is much less than a regular in-line sponsored product ad. It will net you extra sales, but it probably won't be life-changing.

Also, you can't run reports on your campaigns, and you get less insight into campaign performance than you do with Sponsored Products. There is no "automatic" campaign option.

Could be the start of something great. When someone takes the time to dissect the PPC options and understands if it gives you different positioning than through Seller Central, please update. Right now, it looks like the "headline search results advertising" might give you the ability to position the entire brand, instead of just an item, at the top of the search results.

There are three options for placement.

Headline above the search results: This links to your brand page that you can set up with custom media, feature different product collections, highlight popular products, etc.

Shot%201_zpskqu3f9br.png

On the side of a detail page all the way on the right hand side, underneath the "Other Sellers on Amazon" box: For these you can target the pages of specific ASINs you want to display on, or you can display by "interest based". I tried these and found them to be incredibly ineffective and unprofitable. The CPCs were higher than my headline ads, and the conversions were way lower. I may try playing with these again, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Shot%202_zpsjypzktop.png

And then the other option is running regular sponsored product ads, like you all already do.

The only downside is that you get a Vendor Express rep that will breathe down your neck by phone and email wanting to know when you're going to ship in product. Just email them back a reason why you are delaying your decision to do so for a few months, and that keeps them at bay while you run AMS ads. Maybe there will come a point where they shut down my Vendor Express account because of inactivity.

If I remember, the Vendor Express account was a little weird to get set up, and I did it last year so I'm not sure I would be much help to you all trying to figure it out. Just know that it exists, it works, and you don't have to be a vendor to use it.

tell ya what folks...why don't you go ahead and try to get an account with them...Ill make the Crow for me to eat if you can without being a Vendor.
When you're done with that crow @Troy Mangone I'd be interested to hear about how you are able to help your clients negotiate favorable terms with being a vendor to Amazon.com.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Here's another cool thing about AMS: Audience Insights.

Shot%204_zpsa0caufbd.png

It's not super detailed, and there isn't anything more that what I shared in those pictures, but it did give me a starting point for my Facebook ad targeting.

If anyone is interested, I did attach the AMS User Guide to this post. It kind of breaks down what all you can do.

Attachments

• AMS_User_Guide_01_24_2014._CB362080029_.pdf
    517.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content