The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Secrets from the not-so secret Pitch Club

Anything related to matters of the mind

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Strolling around many meet-ups here in Amsterdam, I got an invitation to attend "the Pitch Club".

To start, a few rules to begin with:

#1 DO talk about Pitch club
#2 No seriously, DO talk about it
#3 If this is your first time at Pitch Club, you HAVE to pitch

The guy within the organization, and criticizing your pitch as well as helping you with it, is a previous employee of Apple. Who then leaves the job to travel the globe speaking on conferences.
He first tells us a bit about his background, how the rumor had it, that if you're in the elevator with Steve Jobs and tell him about what you do, and Steve doesn't like it, you'd be fired.
He expresses his doubts about whether this being true or not, it does make for an interesting mindset since everyone walking around in Apple Land, has put a lot of thought and energy about their own story and what they do what they do.

Besides giving the people some tools like "do not tell us to "imagine" things", complete your pitch within 30 seconds, describe a situation where you fulfill a need or create a scene like "wouldn't it be nice when/if...."

We all pitched. He gives some great constructive criticism.

After this part, I ask him about why certain pitches stand out and makes them remember able.

And this is where it became even more interesting, because it's one of the main discussed topics on this forum I feel;

"Only the "real" entrepreneurs can bring the feeling, because they are building something with their whole body, all their energy. As opposed to the "wantrepreneurs" who mainly are thinking from a "what would the other person like to hear" mindset.
Then he goes on, on explaining the differences he notices within cultures from an Entrepreneurial mindset.

"The Dutch are the worst, they often do startups because they think it's "fun". That's why there is a typical "Dutch-pitch", because they often lack the heart in it. Exceptions being the diehards."

"The Greek, for example: they HAVE TO succeed. They have no jobs, and no jobs means no money and food. So they are clamping onto their company that has to succeed and fulfill a need, or else they won't survive." (Being rock bottoms. Hey! We've heard this before somewhere!)

"Then you have the Americans: they are just apeshit crazy. They get an idea, and believe it's the only possible way to be, so they put everything they have and live, in it. This is why they succeed, because they feel they HAVE to. It is the only way". (Believing in the product so hard and finding every and any way to get it working. Focus focus focus but mostly action action action. <-- another one familiar for the members of this forum)

Now, whether one agrees on above generalizations, it made a great topic to think about (yes again).

The big "WHY".

Why are you doing what you are?
Are you doing it with your heart? Or just because you're bored at your 9-5 job, and think this is the best way out?
Lack of direction, lack of value and lack of action will kill you and you're so called business.

^^^^^
Conclusion from this afternoon, yet again, again: DO, with every cell in your body. Or stop wasting your own and everyone else's time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Lack of direction, lack of value and lack of action will kill you and you're so called business.

This.

Good post Bara. I know that's just generalizations, and not every entrepreneur acts like most entrepreneurs in his/her country. But there def are different mindset in the specific countries.

What role did he have at Apple?

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
Awsome post!

I was having a hard time figuring out my own pitch. I wrote down what I wanted to say, what the service was, who our intended target is, how we can solve the problem. It was atleast a paragraph of 6 sentences. I had to cut it down to two sentences, while still answering questions and delivering instant value.

I eventually got it down to a written out 2 sentence mantra that I repeat to myself all the time and rework it when I feel it could be better.

The elevator pitch is what I wanted, how could I convince someone in 30 seconds or less to use my service or, what my service was in 30 seconds or less.

He's right in that you need to be married to your idea, or else the feeling, energy and love won't be there, and it'll feel 'fake'. Be your idea or face failure (lack of direction, inspiration and motivation for sure)

Did you guys cover pitch decks at all?

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
What role did he have at Apple?
Engineer. *insert developers language*, DTS and at last the whole online shop.

Did you guys cover pitch decks at all?

I havent heard this exact term? Can you tell something more about this?
*p.s. Googling as we speak*

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
Engineer. *insert developers language*, DTS and at last the whole online shop.

I havent heard this exact term? Can you tell something more about this?
*p.s. Googling as we speak*

Pitch decks are nothing more then powerpoint presentations. It is your 'pitch' a little more drawn out. Accelerators, Incubators and VC's typically ask for them.

Brian E.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2015
Here is my thoughts. At first, my idea came to my head to start a business with other people's money, but it was because it was given to me by my former mentor, whom turned out to be worthless in some way, as his mindset became negative. The idea he gave me was to build this business in order to "Escape" the 9-5 job.Keep in mind, this was before I was fully awakened.
My wife had bought me a book "Why We Want You to Be Rich" by Rob Kiyosaki and Donald Trump. This began the chain of events leading to me finding what I had wanted. See, the first idea my mentor gave me had no chance of success with the businesses that I would be dealing with for sponsorship. The field was very locked up at that time,and many were out to cut each other's throats, so it was either sign with company a or company b. The business idea was already locked down by the companies themselves, and various loopholes to cross through. I had no chance at that time. Plus, I take full responsibility for not fully pushing forward.
Then, while attending college, I changed my majors, and one of the counselors recommended me to a type of business which I am creating now. The area of expertise needed included marketing skills, and being able to motivate people. I've also since became more spiritual and I''ve found that the two connect together quite well. This comes from a place of the heart, not a desire to escape the 9-5 job. Here's the extra catch.....Joe Vitale himself said that the wealth we seek lies hidden under the one thing we've been afraid to do. My fear was starting a business in the first place. I didn't think I had what it took, since I could not make my name, my brand nationally recognized. I had thoughts of not being able to make it on television, or even make the business grow to the point of millionaire status. Since taking the Joe Vitale course though, I know now that my mindset has changed. I am super determined to make it succeed, and also this:

Are you doing it with your heart? Or just because you're bored at your 9-5 job, and think this is the best way out?

The first answer is I want to help people, to inspire people, to encourage people to live their best. I want and desire...it is my intention even, to lead many towards their dreams as well as creating a future for my son to grow up and live. Not to live broke paycheck to paycheck, as the poor dad would teach. I want him to see that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE IN AMERICA...I do it with my heart and soul.
Lack of direction....I don't have that. I have the directions I want to go in. i want to be a nationally known name...
Value? The only way I can increase my value is through experience, and I do that every single day of my life....
Lack of action....well, Joe mentioned that when you get an idea in your head/heart, it is usually divinely inspired...to take action immediatly. I've been procrastinating for too long..those classes changed me....and now, this week I am launching my first youtube video. With some polishing and cleaning I know i will make it shine alot brighter. Everyone starts somewhere!

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
the wealth we seek lies hidden under the one thing we've been afraid to do

Loving this quote, makes you think.....
Good luck on this new exciting journey of yours!

Brian E.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2015
Thank you. I appreciate it. I know that it will take awhile to get to where I need to, but I've been doing research close to every day now, and this time I am not stopping. I've even got a face to face meeting with a potential mentor, which to me is great. I'm reading all I can, and training my mindset for that day. I will let you know what i learn!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Strolling around many meet-ups here in Amsterdam, I got an invitation to attend "the Pitch Club".

To start, a few rules to begin with:

#1 DO talk about Pitch club
#2 No seriously, DO talk about it
#3 If this is your first time at Pitch Club, you HAVE to pitch

The guy within the organization, and criticizing your pitch as well as helping you with it, is a previous employee of Apple. Who then leaves the job to travel the globe speaking on conferences.
He first tells us a bit about his background, how the rumor had it, that if you're in the elevator with Steve Jobs and tell him about what you do, and Steve doesn't like it, you'd be fired.
He expresses his doubts about whether this being true or not, it does make for an interesting mindset since everyone walking around in Apple Land, has put a lot of thought and energy about their own story and what they do what they do.

Besides giving the people some tools like "do not tell us to "imagine" things", complete your pitch within 30 seconds, describe a situation where you fulfill a need or create a scene like "wouldn't it be nice when/if...."

We all pitched. He gives some great constructive criticism.

After this part, I ask him about why certain pitches stand out and makes them remember able.

And this is where it became even more interesting, because it's one of the main discussed topics on this forum I feel;

"Only the "real" entrepreneurs can bring the feeling, because they are building something with their whole body, all their energy. As opposed to the "wantrepreneurs" who mainly are thinking from a "what would the other person like to hear" mindset.
Then he goes on, on explaining the differences he notices within cultures from an Entrepreneurial mindset.

"The Dutch are the worst, they often do startups because they think it's "fun". That's why there is a typical "Dutch-pitch", because they often lack the heart in it. Exceptions being the diehards."

"The Greek, for example: they HAVE TO succeed. They have no jobs, and no jobs means no money and food. So they are clamping onto their company that has to succeed and fulfill a need, or else they won't survive." (Being rock bottoms. Hey! We've heard this before somewhere!)

"Then you have the Americans: they are just apeshit crazy. They get an idea, and believe it's the only possible way to be, so they put everything they have and live, in it. This is why they succeed, because they feel they HAVE to. It is the only way". (Believing in the product so hard and finding every and any way to get it working. Focus focus focus but mostly action action action. <-- another one familiar for the members of this forum)

Now, whether one agrees on above generalizations, it made a great topic to think about (yes again).

The big "WHY".

^^^^^
Conclusion from this afternoon, yet again, again: DO, with every cell in your body. Or stop wasting your own and everyone else's time.
Thanks for writing this. Very useful, and entertaining.

Did he mention whether your pitch changes depending on who you speak to?

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Check out the 1 million cups meetup. Pretty much a pitch/QA session for practice and business guidance. I did it in April and it was a lot of fun. Really laid back feel an everyone was incredibly excited to be there.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank you. I appreciate it. I know that it will take awhile to get to where I need to, but I've been doing research close to every day now, and this time I am not stopping. I've even got a face to face meeting with a potential mentor, which to me is great. I'm reading all I can, and training my mindset for that day. I will let you know what i learn!

Bam! You got this!

Thanks for writing this. Very useful, and entertaining.

Did he mention whether your pitch changes depending on who you speak to?

Thank you!
Yes, we talked how when you (for example) talk to goverment people, the pitch might vary from "your average shopping mall Joe".
Kept coming down to: support whatever you do with every cell of your body, the energy will come off. The practical part (which words to use and such) you can always learn. The passion not.
Do you have a "pitch" ?

Check out the 1 million cups meetup. Pretty much a pitch/QA session for practice and business guidance. I did it in April and it was a lot of fun. Really laid back feel an everyone was incredibly excited to be there.
I shall look into it! I mostly liked the diversity of the people in the meetup, and the savyness/ experience of everyone in their own niche. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.