The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Searching for a job Internationally

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
With the increase in the globalization of business I would love to get the perspective of living in another country. I was wondering if anybody might be able to recomend some good job search sites/ ways or places to find jobs in other countries.

Places I am interested in:

Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Brazil
Panama
Dubai
Singapore (and not because facebook guy is moving there)

The only other language I speak other then English is some pretty bad spanish but I am confident I can learn. Any other advice or experiences is more then welcome and I would like to here from anybody who has a story about living abroad.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Big international companies can transfer within so that's what I usually hear, but this is probably not the best forum.
Try other forums such as:
lonleyplanet.com/thorntree

Teaching is probably the easiest bet but commonly hated
Dave's ESL Cafe ESL forum

You can probably find more information on the following sites:
overseasjobs.com
gringos.com

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Um jobs??? Not fastlane man.

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, probably not the best forum for this type of search.

But, if it helps at all, I've coached tennis in Scotland, China and New Zealand. It's a nice niche that's allowed me to travel, but not necessarily learn a whole lot on the business end. Trademe.co.nz is probably the most popular site for jobs in NZ, but most are looking for Visas and long-term employment. It's easy to get a 12 month working visa though to NZ.

Like TommyBoy said, best bet is probably teaching english. Great way to get immersed in a new culture and you don't necessarily need to be working in the business sector to get great ideas and find needs. Traveling actually gave me some nice clarity in terms of life direction.

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Also, if I were you I'd teach English in a major city in China (usually only require about 15-25 hr/week commitment). Most deals include Mandarin lessons (could be an invaluable asset in business) and all expenses paid. Spend part-time teaching and spend the rest of the time networking, traveling and keeping your eyes peeled for different unmet needs.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My brother will be teaching golf in honduras. He will make pisspoor money in a tropical paradise... Not too bad lol.

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China

I gave up running a business in America full time one year ago to take a job in China. In that time I have saved more money than in the previous 3 years combined, I have traveled more (a month vacation in Thailand), have become drastically better at martial arts, gained the ability to speak some mandarin, and am now partnering with locals for more lucrative businesses opportunities than I would have if I had stayed in Texas.

Sometimes taking one step back to go two step forward is essential. If you keep your eyes on the prize and where you want to be in 1, 3, 5 years, working a job can be a stepping stone as it has been for me. The key question is: "What is your big picture?"

if I were you I'd teach English in a major city in China (usually only require about 15-25 hr/week commitment). Most deals include Mandarin lessons (could be an invaluable asset in business) and all expenses paid. Spend part-time teaching and spend the rest of the time networking, traveling and keeping your eyes peeled for different unmet needs.

This is a real opportunity...now, its not all roses and sunshine, though. The food here sucks. The healthcare is certainly not pristine. The living conditions, even for the rich, aren't at American standards. There is a shit load of red tape for business and banking...of course, there are solutions to every problems ;)...I just want you to have a balanced look at things.

With the increase in the globalization of business I would love to get the perspective of living in another country. I was wondering if anybody might be able to recommend some good job search sites/ ways or places to find jobs in other countries.

Its a challenge, especially at first, but once you adapt, you can bring a different and unique perspective to marketplace. I recommend learning the local language of where you want to go now. It will make a tremendous difference. I really like the Pimsleur brand for language learning. Its what I've used to learn Mandarin.

As for getting employed, you should Google the exact city you where you want to live. Do a shit load of research and build a criteria sheet.

For instance, when I researched working in China, I decided it had to be in Southern China for warmer climate. After I learned the possible salaries ranges, I set a criteria in the upper range. I also decided that the work contract had to provide housing and visa...once I had this checklist, it made the search much easier.

Google your desired industry and find the local business websites. Then contact the businesses directly. If you use an agent to find a job, you will not be able to negotiate your salary as much. If possible make contacts with people employed where you want work.

As an aside, probably the biggest lesson I learned this year was the sheer necessity of 'Guanxi'...this has made all the difference between success and failure here.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011

Yes but I have to keep the lights on somehow. Since success in business is not overnight I am being realistic in the fact that I will have to work a job until I can figure out my next move. Plus I am hoping to gain some great international connections. The import export business is often best done from the inside. Plus the US realestate market is still pretty rough.

Yeah, probably not the best forum for this type of search.

But, if it helps at all, I've coached tennis in Scotland, China and New Zealand. It's a nice niche that's allowed me to travel, but not necessarily learn a whole lot on the business end. Trademe.co.nz is probably the most popular site for jobs in NZ, but most are looking for Visas and long-term employment. It's easy to get a 12 month working visa though to NZ.

Like TommyBoy said, best bet is probably teaching english. Great way to get immersed in a new culture and you don't necessarily need to be working in the business sector to get great ideas and find needs. Traveling actually gave me some nice clarity in terms of life direction.

Thanks for the advice that sounds like a great gig you have going. I am aware of the nature of this site but I know there are alot of international people on here and I was hoping they would share some of their experiences. I know craigslist works well in the US for a quick job but I am not sure what to use internationally.

I really like realestate but the US market is still pretty stagnated in terms of development. I know many of the larger US development companies have gone abroad for growth opportunities and I like the idea of moving to a market that is more conducive to a business I am interested in. I also like international trade as well.

Its a challenge, especially at first, but once you adapt, you can bring a different and unique perspective to marketplace.

Thanks for the great story I was looking to do something similar to what you have done. When I first moved out of the city to a more rural environment I saw so much opportunity. Since then most of the ideas I had have been started ( I was in school at the time so I didnt act as quickly as I should have). I am hoping to achieve something similar in moving to another country. I hope my differnet outlook will yield some great opportunities. Plus being in a growing economy can provide more opportunites in and of itself.

At the end of the day I think expanding my knowledge of culture and business will be a great benefit to me in what ever I decide to do and would love to have the experience. I am not set on moving but I would like to explore my options. I just talked with a business owner today who does alot of business with Asia. As I was talking to him I realised that I have never been and had no real understanding of a part of this world that is currently driving global commerce. I think that living and working abroad could be a real eye opener in terms of business opportunities. A great example is the person who just recently posted about his Japanese candy website where he sends people random candy that one can only buy in Japan. There is a wholesale wine company that imports all of their product from Africa. They started that company after spending time in Africa and realising that there was no African wine in the US. I have read contless other articles similar to this.

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
At the end of the day I think expanding my knowledge of culture and business will be a great benefit to me in what ever I decide to do and would love to have the experience. I am not set on moving but I would like to explore my options. I just talked with a business owner today who does alot of business with Asia. As I was talking to him I realised that I have never been and had no real understanding of a part of this world that is currently driving global commerce. I think that living and working abroad could be a real eye opener in terms of business opportunities. A great example is the person who just recently posted about his Japanese candy website where he sends people random candy that one can only buy in Japan. There is a wholesale wine company that imports all of their product from Africa. They started that company after spending time in Africa and realising that there was no African wine in the US. I have read contless other articles similar to this.

I don't disagree...There's something to be said for getting a new perspective and looking at the world through another culture's point of view. It really opened my eyes.

I went to China at 20 by myself and it was my first time ever leaving the US...easily far and away the best experience of my life. I ended up teaching tennis to the US Ambassador in China and his family and making some other pretty good connections. The ambassador's son invited me to a party at their compound and it was a N Korea vs S Korea themed party. Pretty funny actually. And being 20 and on American soil in China at their compound, they were still feeding me booze underage. Point is, I'd never recommend someone not to travel because I think it's such an essential part of life whether looking for business ideas or not.

Good luck, and I would say go for it.

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
I gave up running a business in America full time one year ago to take a job in China. In that time I have saved more money than in the previous 3 years combined, I have traveled more (a month vacation in Thailand), have become drastically better at martial arts, gained the ability to speak some mandarin, and am now partnering with locals for more lucrative businesses opportunities than I would have if I had stayed in Texas.
That sounds exciting. So you made more money teaching in China instead of what? You learned martial arts in Thailand?

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
I hope my differnet outlook will yield some great opportunities. Plus being in a growing economy can provide more opportunites in and of itself.

Being a foreigner can have it benefits...because you bring a scarce commodity to the market, (ie. You) you can make a comfortable living fairly easily in the right places. Making 4-5x what the average local person makes is obtainable.

I think you have reasonable expectations and the are approaching it correctly. However, you need to be really patient...it took me about 6 months before things started happening for me. 'Culture Shock' is very real and you are like a baby in many ways because you won't be able to do some simple things for yourself unless you are fluent in speaking and reading the local language....

That said, once you get past the adjustment period, the world is your oyster. Don't be too attached to your preconceived ideas about what you will do when you go internationally...a lot of things I thought I would do when I planning my travel are much different than the opportunities I can see now that I am here and much more savvy with the culture.

Globalization and global thinking isn't some fad or possible future trend...its real and its happening now.:icon_super:

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
That sounds exciting. So you made more money teaching in China instead of what?

Running a full service fitness company in America. In 2008, it was lucrative, but with the recession, rising operating costs, and a flood of copy cats to the market, my profit margin took a hit. I had the choice to keep doing the same thing and settling for less money, or change my approach.

You learned martial arts in Thailand?

I practice here in mainland China. Thailand was for fun: jungle treks, beaches, watching Muy Thai matches, etc

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Running a full service fitness company in America. In 2008, it was lucrative, but with the recession, rising operating costs, and a flood of copy cats to the market, my profit margin took a hit. I had the choice to keep doing the same thing and settling for less money, or change my approach.
Really? You make more money teaching English in China vs running your own gym? You've gotta be doing other gigs there...

Either way, sounds awesome... it'd be interesting to hear more.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Trent: thanks for the great info I would like to know a little bit more about what you do and how you got your gig. I might have the opportunity to move to Australia for a bit so anybody with some advice on that end would be great. This opportunity and the fact that it seems like a large pool of entreprenuers I talk to have either moved their business out of the country or are starting businesses out of the country that has lead me to start this thread. Plus I can think of many success stories that started with a trip abroad.

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
You make more money teaching English in China vs running your own gym? You've gotta be doing other gigs there...

It boils down to cash flow. I had substantially more income in the US, but the rising expenses were driving down my net profit. Currently, I have a little less income (when converted to US dollars) but my expenses are drastically less...so I net more every month. In fact, I've been able to save about 40-60% of what I earn per month.

Another thing to consider is $1 goes a lot farther in some countries in the US. An example is in the US, a basic massage will cost you about $60. In China, when converted to USD costs about $30, and in Thailand, the same service costs $7-10. My electricity, cell phone, etc combined are around $50/month.

Yes, I do more than just teach some classes. I am a bona fide hustler -- I often work 7 days a week on extra projects and gigs. I host events, play concerts, teach fitness or music lessons...basically I find needs and give the people what they want.

I don't have one magic fastlane business, but I have drastically improved my situation, and have the resources (money, time, experience, connections, and giant local population) to build better businesses than I have in the past.

Trent: thanks for the great info I would like to know a little bit more about what you do and how you got your gig.

I posted this earlier, but this is exactly what I did:

As for getting employed, you should Google the exact city you where you want to live. Do a shit load of research and build a criteria sheet.

For instance, when I researched working in China, I decided it had to be in Southern China for warmer climate. After I learned the possible salaries ranges, I set a criteria in the upper range. I also decided that the work contract had to provide housing and visa...once I had this checklist, it made the search much easier.

Google your desired industry and find the local business websites. Then contact the businesses directly. If you use an agent to find a job, you will not be able to negotiate your salary as much. If possible make contacts with people employed where you want work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.