The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Screen Recording Software

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

DMass

Breaking Chains One Day At A Time...
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I've been bundling along with OBS and HitFilm for making my courses but I can't seem to quite nail the Audio how I want it. OBS Audio Settings/Filters can be a pain in the a$$ to get right which either results in background noise, loud keyboard sounds, missing the start of words, missing the end of words etc. So I thought I would look into alternatives.

I've just set up a trial with Camtasia, spent 45 minutes filming and editing a quick test video only to export it and be met with a black screen and crap audio. I've search for solutions and there doesn't seem to be a reliable one.

So I'm open to looking at alternatives, what software do you guys use for recording demo's, screen shares, presentations etc?

Dave

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Have you tried recording audio with Audacity seperately?

I was hoping for a all in one solution rather than having to use multiple apps.

I've heard good things about Loom. Haven't used it myself though.

I've used Loom before but I need something a little more powerful. The other option is getting a powerful video editor but I was hoping to avoid that

Thanks for the suggestions.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
Maybe invest in a better mic? Not very expensive and can make a world of difference.

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Maybe invest in a better mic? Not very expensive and can make a world of difference.

I’ve tried various mics, at the moment I’m using a Yeti X. Have used a Samson Q2U too. Once I move house and can set up my studio/office as I want I may go with a shure but at £300+ they’re probably the most expensive option. Especially as I’ll need to invest in the interface too.

I use a boom arm as well.

I think I’m just particularly picky when it comes to the audio, maybe I dislike the sound of my own voice too much!

I managed to get Camtasia working as it should (update this morning screwed up a few things with the exporter).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That’s odd about Camtasia. I record with Camtasia for my courses. Never had an issue. Is it just a configuration thing?

I also use Loom, which can be great. I stopped using that for my courses when it failed to record a few times because my internet connection wasn’t good enough (it seemed to need a good internet connection).

Zoom can record your screen too. I’ve plenty of recorded chats where I had screenshared. I’ve never had an issue with Zoom, and a lot of my recorded chats run well over an hour.

Don’t get so hung up on the audio. Yes it’s important, but the content is more so. I use a Yeti Nano, or some Logitech headphones. The featured/pinned video on my YouTube channel is with the headphones. The first incarnation of my Google Ads course was recorded with my headphones. Not one person ever complained.

I bought a cheap silent keyboard too so there’s less key tapping in my videos.

PS: Don’t test with 45 minute recordings. Ideally do lots of little recordings. “Catch mistakes earlier.”

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
That’s odd about Camtasia. I record with Camtasia for my courses. Never had an issue. Is it just a configuration thing?

I spent 60 minutes with one of their tech guys to figure out the issue. It was due to a update with the exported yesterday morning, there is a new codec or something. He sent me a link to download the old one and voila, no issues.

Have to say, the tech support was first class. Especially as I was only having a free trial.

It’s pretty expensive Camtasia, in fact I think it’s the most expensive screen recording/editing software at £300 but it certainly looks the part.

I’m gonna trial one more (Filmora) and then make my call from there.

Part me just thinks “Stop being such a tight a$$ and just go with what’s known as the industry standard, hell, I know enterprise companies that use Camtasia so it must be good”

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I spent 60 minutes with one of their tech guys to figure out the issue. It was due to a update with the exported yesterday morning, there is a new codec or something. He sent me a link to download the old one and voila, no issues.

Have to say, the tech support was first class. Especially as I was only having a free trial.

It’s pretty expensive Camtasia, in fact I think it’s the most expensive screen recording/editing software at £300 but it certainly looks the part.

I’m gonna trial one more (Filmora) and then make my call from there.

Part me just thinks “Stop being such a tight a$$ and just go with what’s known as the industry standard, hell, I know enterprise companies that use Camtasia so it must be good”
I like Camtasia and Snagit and have used them for years. I think @Lex DeVille uses Camtasia too.

Screencast-o-Matic looks good.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I like Camtasia
i do too. I used to use it weekly it to screen record drafts of builds to have them translated in other languages. never had an issue with video or audio.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Thank you for this thread.

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
I went with Camtasia in the end. Had a couple of dealings with their Support Team and was impressed with how they handled any questions so that sold it to me.

Used it for a couple of hours yesterday and have to say I’m impressed. I think it will be a excellent piece of kit for my courses.

Saved me a huge amount of time with how easy it is to use too!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.