The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go?

• Total voters

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
I have been presented with the opportunity to go to a specific college in the USA via a government sponsored scholarship to complete a bachelors degree in a field of my choosing. Should I take up this offer? Should I pause my fast-lane business setup for this? I've made 0 sales thus far, but i'm now starting to encounter leads. Honestly, I would like any thoughts on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I don't have any answers, but here are some questions for you to consider...
  • Is it 100% paid for? Schooling plus housing plus living expenses?
  • Can you pick any bachelor's degree?
  • Is there a bachelor's degree that would be relevant to your fastlane business? (Even something like marketing or business development would probably not hurt. In my opinion, the ONLY context where it makes sense to get a degree is when you already have a long-term goal and the degree is part of the path to help you reach your goal.)
  • Can you continue to develop your fastlane business while you're pursuing your studies? (College is not that big of a workload, so I don't see why you couldn't.)
  • Are there connections that you could potentially make while you're in the US that would help you down the road?
  • Would possessing a degree grant you legitimacy in the eyes of key players that are relevant to your fastlane biz? (and the flip side: Would the LACK of a degree ever deprive you of opportunities that you should have been able to grasp?)
Here's a 4-step rubric that I use when I have a decision to make...
  1. What's the best thing that can happen if I choose option A?
  2. What's the worst thing that can happen if I choose option A?
  3. What's the best thing that can happen if I choose option B?
  4. What's the worst thing that can happen if I choose option B?
If you put some deep thought into each one, you can often break through the clutter and see things that help you to make the decision.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
I don't have any answers, but here are some questions for you to consider...
  • Is it 100% paid for? Schooling plus housing plus living expenses?
  • Can you pick any bachelor's degree?
  • Is there a bachelor's degree that would be relevant to your fastlane business? (Even something like marketing or business development would probably not hurt. In my opinion, the ONLY context where it makes sense to get a degree is when you already have a long-term goal and the degree is part of the path to help you reach your goal.)
  • Can you continue to develop your fastlane business while you're pursuing your studies? (College is not that big of a workload, so I don't see why you couldn't.)
  • Are there connections that you could potentially make while you're in the US that would help you down the road?
  • Would possessing a degree grant you legitimacy in the eyes of key players that are relevant to your fastlane biz? (and the flip side: Would the LACK of a degree ever deprive you of opportunities that you should have been able to grasp?)
Here's a 4-step rubric that I use when I have a decision to make...
  1. What's the best thing that can happen if I choose option A?
  2. What's the worst thing that can happen if I choose option A?
  3. What's the best thing that can happen if I choose option B?
  4. What's the worst thing that can happen if I choose option B?
If you put some deep thought into each one, you can often break through the clutter and see things that help you to make the decision.
Very helpful insight. I appreciate this a lot.

The way things are set up, tuition and housing are paid in full; I only have to pay living expenses (food) which will be affordable. Yes I can choose any degree which is really the selling point of this to me. Given the nature of the venture that I have right now, I feel economics is a good way to go. The knowledge will be helpful surely, but I'm wondering if it would rival the potential experience I would have gained in the years I spent actually doing business. I mean honestly, the potential relationships I may build in the USA outweighs those I may build locally. Staying here and doing business could get me results, however I'm wondering whether this opportunity may get me better results much quicker in the future.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Very helpful insight. I appreciate this a lot.

The way things are set up, tuition and housing are paid in full; I only have to pay living expenses (food) which will be affordable. Yes I can choose any degree which is really the selling point of this to me. Given the nature of the venture that I have right now, I feel economics is a good way to go. The knowledge will be helpful surely, but I'm wondering if it would rival the potential experience I would have gained in the years I spent actually doing business. I mean honestly, the potential relationships I may build in the USA outweighs those I may build locally. Staying here and doing business could get me results, however I'm wondering whether this opportunity may get me better results much quicker in the future.

Like every post @Bekit writes I can’t add much, but I’ll try.

If you can choose the degree and it’s paid for...100% absolutely do it given where your business is at. You should be able to continue to work on the business and as she said, major in something that will help you in your future pursuits.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
MJ wrote an excellent post pertaining to this very topic:

GOLD! - Sorry, But the Forum Can't Make Your Life Decisions For You!!

With that being said, take any advice you get on this topic with a grain of salt. Ultimately you need to choose what you want and for your own reasons.

You're plenty young enough to try many things and figure out what you want from life. From what information you've given us, it sounds like attending college in the US is of relatively low risk for you. There isn't much to lose (no student debt accrued), and plenty to gain (knowledge, networking, experiencing new cultures, etc).

From a networking perspective alone attending college in the US sounds like it could benefit you immensely.

BTW, I had never heard of Dominica until today. No idea what daily life is like there, but from Google images its beautiful!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.