The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scam? Please help!

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
U

User62861

Hi,

I do logo design (branding) for companies and I can do a website setup as well. I usually do it for companies who hired me to make them a logo or entire brand identity.

I got an email yesterday from a guy with full English name but his English is half broken.

He said he has a budget of £1k - £5k for a website setup (this is first time someone reached to me to get a website right away).

He avoided to answer my question on how/where did he find me.

I said the price is 5k, 50-50 via PayPal.

He said no problem right away, but he cant use PayPal, he wants to use Stripe.

Did anyone of you experienced something like this?

How could he scam me if he has to pay 50% upfront?

He might be using a stolen credit card?

This all sounds too good to be true if you ask me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

What kind of website? Can you grab an IP? Google search the guy's name?

If it's a stolen card, you might be able to cross reference to public info.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
He can use PayPal if he wants to. Anyone can use PayPal, even without an account. If your business model is to use PayPal then stick with YOUR business model. Don't do something you are not 100% comfortable doing. You might miss out on a little money but you might save yourself a LOT of headache.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Doesn't make sense. Stripe is not a method to send money. You should ask him if he has a credit card. The danger is that he pays you and after you complete the website and give it to him that he does a chargeback and tries to take the money back. Or his credit card is stolen.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Hi,

I do logo design (branding) for companies and I can do a website setup as well. I usually do it for companies who hired me to make them a logo or entire brand identity.

I got an email yesterday from a guy with full English name but his English is half broken.

He said he has a budget of £1k - £5k for a website setup (this is first time someone reached to me to get a website right away).

He avoided to answer my question on how/where did he find me.

I said the price is 5k, 50-50 via PayPal.

He said no problem right away, but he cant use PayPal, he wants to use Stripe.

Did anyone of you experienced something like this?

This all sounds too good to be true if you ask me.

It's a known scam. Or maybe a twist on an old one.

1. Can't use X method of payment
2. Said he sent money
3. You don't get money
4. Threatens you if you don't send the 50% back which he never sent

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Anyone can use PayPal, even without an account.

FALSE.

Unless the "anyone" does not include people from countries PayPal doesn't like :)

There are several countries where PayPal is not available at all (including my country, Ghana). For these countries, even PayPal-powered payment via credit card is NOT possible, as you cannot select the country when entering the billing address.

(If I got a dollar every time I've had to explain this, I'd be a millionaire by now!)

It's a known scam. Or maybe a twist on an old one.

1. Can't use X method of payment
2. Said he sent money
3. You don't get money
4. Threatens you if you don't send the 50% back which he never sent

A variation of this I've seen is where the fraudster attempts to use you as a money mule to cashout from stolen credit cards. Happend to an acquaintance of mine who was letting his apartments on Airbnb:
  1. Fraudster booked for 3 weeks in a very expensive apartment with a stolen credit card.
  2. Fraudster checked in, but next morning claimed he had an emergency and needed to leave immediately.
  3. Fraudster then presented an offer that the host, unfortunately, could not refuse. Went like this:
    • Too bad, but I'll, unfortunately, have to cancel my reservation for Airbnb to refund (nearly) all my payment back to me
    • But I really need cash now so if you could give me just 25% of my payment in cash, I won't cancel the Airbnb reservation (oh, and you can rent out the apartment again as I'm not coming back)
  4. Reservation was not cancelled as fraudster promised, but Airbnb got hit with a chargeback, immediately put a stop on all the host's payments in transit, and banned him and all his listings from the platform.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
TRUE in the United States of America and that's why I live here :thumbsup: We have the stupidest government in the world but I wouldn't think of living anywhere else. So for the record.... anytime I say something, it is for the US. No idea about any other place in the world. That's why my wife travels the world, not me. :)

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
TRUE in the United States of America and that's why I live here :thumbsup: We have the stupidest government in the world but I wouldn't think of living anywhere else. So for the record.... anytime I say something, it is for the US. No idea about any other place in the world. That's why my wife travels the world, not me. :)

Sure... and OP didn't mention where this mysterious lead is coming from... but as a general principle, shouldn't we be answering people's questions based on THEIR context, rather than our own? Or at least qualify our answers? :humph:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.