The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Salesman training?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
Hi everybody,

I began to look for some self improvments path few months ago...
Since I try to become an artist, I began with "The artist's way" and discovered many useful things, as money is not a devil's trap... (so far from my old french culture), and that you are allowed to claim for an artist's status.
Then I bought "the Millionnaire Fastlane" and discovered that you can stop complaining, and try to make your way to success and wealth (no more problem with earning money...). I also understood that passion is not the best way to success, and I try to find a fastlane between passion and something else... After some advise on this forum, I started an e-commerce shop with my sculptures and drawings, and I will try to sell some by-products and originals on the same web place.
I am now reading "zero to one", and I felt, two days ago on a chapter that stricked me... Nerds versus Salesmen. That's my weak point, I am not a salesman at all. I have an engineer background with a strong passion for art, but I never understood, or try to understand something at selling... I heard a lot of advises, in MJ's book, in the forum, about beginning by family and friends... but they all know that I am a poor seller and they laugh as soon as I show them my work (hey, I see you... at the begining I thougt it was the sculptures and drawings themselves...).
My question is, what should be a salesman training day, week, month or year... What kind of books can I read, and what kind of general reference do I miss?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi everybody,

Since I try to become an artist, I began with "The artist's way" and discovered many useful things, as money is not a devil's trap... (so far from my old french culture), and that you are allowed to claim for an artist's status.
Then I bought "the Millionnaire Fastlane" and discovered that you can stop complaining, and try to make your way to success and wealth (no more problem with earning money...). I also understood that passion is not the best way to success, and I try to find a fastlane between passion and something else... After some advise on this forum, I started an e-commerce shop with my sculptures and drawings, and I will try to sell some by-products and originals on the same web place.
I am now reading "zero to one", and I felt, two days ago on a chapter that stricked me... Nerds versus Salesmen. That's my weak point, I am not a salesman at all. I have an engineer background with a strong passion for art, but I never understood, or try to understand something at selling... I heard a lot of advises, in MJ's book, in the forum, about beginning by family and friends... but they all know that I am a poor seller and they laugh as soon as I show them my work (hey, I see you... at the begining I thougt it was the sculptures and drawings themselves...).
My question is, what should be a salesman training day, week, month or year... What kind of books can I read, and what kind of general reference do I miss?

You're missing the part where you sell something people want to buy.

You're missing the part where you find targeted customers who are interested in art.

You're missing the part where you solve a huge problem and help people.

You're missing the part where you explain how your art solves a huge problem or helps the other person.

Sales training will teach you how to sell, but it won't help much.

Start with the part where you figure out who your product helps, and how it helps them.

Then talk to those people. Some of them are looking for exactly what you have. Some are just looking, and don't know you exist.

None of those people are your friends or family. Where do people who buy art go? That's where I'd start.

If you don't know how to sell, then just start by finding people who will appreciate your art in the first place.

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France

You're missing the part where you find targeted customers who are interested in art.

You're missing the part where you explain how your art solves a huge problem or helps the other person.

Start with the part where you figure out who your product helps, and how it helps them.

Then talk to those people. Some of them are looking for exactly what you have. Some are just looking, and don't know you exist.

None of those people are your friends or family. Where do people who buy art go? That's where I'd start.

If you don't know how to sell, then just start by finding people who will appreciate your art in the first place.

Thanks for your answer. Sure you're right, even if I understood the first commandment (NEED), I forgot it on the way...
Althought I already done some shows in targeted places, I still find sales very difficult for me. Maybe I am not enough sure I am an artist, and I have difficulties to enter the character I need to be.
Moreover, since I am not originally an artist, I always wonder if I am choosing the good way for a fastlane. What kind of huge problem can be solved by art? (if people are stucked in their pay check to pay check life).Are people still involved in it? (I don't speak about speculators and high ranked artists).
I spoke about some books since I can not afford to start another way than from the scratch, with no other money than the one Iwill easn by selling my art... and maybe there are theories and advises about economical models...
I know this is the way of many people there, and I am not complaining. Just wanting to change my habits and develop new ones to become a full entrepreneur (creator and salesman).

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for your an
swer. Sure you're right, even if I understood the first commandment (NEED), I forgot it on the way...
Althought I already done some shows in targeted places, I still find sales very difficult for me. Maybe I am not enough sure I am an artist, and I have difficulties to enter the character I need to be.
Moreover, since I am not originally an artist, I always wonder if I am choosing the good way for a fastlane. What kind of huge problem can be solved by art? (if people are stucked in their pay check to pay check life).Are people still involved in it? (I don't speak about speculators and high ranked artists).
I spoke about some books since I can not afford to start another way than from the scratch, with no other money than the one Iwill easn by selling my art... and maybe there are theories and advises about economical models...
I know this is the way of many people there, and I am not complaining. Just wanting to change my habits and develop new ones to become a full entrepreneur (creator and salesman).

Have you listed your art on popular art and craft websites?

Like the websites on this list:

http://www.artsyshark.com/125-places-to-sell/

If I'm not mistaken I believe Amazon.com even has a section specifically for art now.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for your answer. Sure you're right, even if I understood the first commandment (NEED), I forgot it on the way...

What other ways can you reach people?

My art gained a lot of attention when local media did a short news piece on it.

How can you reach local media, or do something like give art to charity or something to get their attention?

What other ways can you sell your art? Can you sell prints online?

What home furnishing chains might be interested in your art or designs for mass resale?

• Hobby Lobby?
• Kirklands?
• Pottery Barn?
• Kohls?

What if you got on the phone and reach out to their decision-makers and start trying to license your designs?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

This nailed it for me.

@WAMBST

Google and read the Gary Halbert letter about the starving crowd. I link to it in my post about "My landing pages don't convert" (linked to in the first link in my signature). (Am on me phone and it's too fiddly for me to do it.)

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
What other ways can you reach people?

My art gained a lot of attention when local media did a short news piece on it.

How can you reach local media, or do something like give art to charity or something to get their attention?

What other ways can you sell your art? Can you sell prints online?

What home furnishing chains might be interested in your art or designs for mass resale?

• Hobby Lobby?
• Kirklands?
• Pottery Barn?
• Kohls?

What if you got on the phone and reach out to their decision-makers and start trying to license your designs?
Thanks a lot for your answers and ideas, I am a beginer wantrepreneur and still not have this kind of reflexes. I learn a lot on this forum and I am moving step by step... I try to help a little bit when I can, and hope to be able in few months to return the favours...

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
This nailed it for me.

@WAMBST

Google and read the Gary Halbert letter about the starving crowd. I link to it in my post about "My landing pages don't convert" (linked to in the first link in my signature). (Am on me phone and it's too fiddly for me to do it.)

I will check all those tracks, thanks a lot.
I am very happy and shy that the pilars on this forum take time to answer to beginer...

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hi everybody,

See below.

This.

If this were the only advice given in this thread, it would be enough.

Before you check out the resources below, let me first say that you will never ever close a sale by reading a book, or by watching a Youtube video. Such activities will educate you, they will motivate you, and give you the knowledge necessary to be successful.

But you've gotta treat your hustle like Mountain Dew, man. You gotta do the do. You have to commit to enough positive action, until the universe rewards you with the kinds of results you seek.

It is 100% possible for you to pick up the phone, start mastering the art of the cold call, and get people to buy what you're selling.

I know a commercial property manager whose owner spends a bunch of money on art for office spaces. Some artists make big cash selling their work.

Go get your money. It's there waiting for you to take it. All you have to do is pick up the phone and start calling the people who'll make you money.

HOW TO MAKE A COLD CALL:

HOW TO CLOSE MORE DEALS ON THE PHONE

COLD CALL TRAINING WITH GRANT CARDONE IN THE BOILER ROOM

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
Thanks a lot for your answers and ideas, I am a beginer wantrepreneur and still not have this kind of reflexes. I learn a lot on this forum and I am moving step by step... I try to help a little bit when I can, and hope to be able in few months to return the favours...

You sound like me when I first started posting in this forum. It sounds like you don't really believe in your product. You're looking for approval from outside. Seek that within FIRST. Why would I want your product if YOU'RE unsure about it yourself? Nobody here will give you that answer except yourself. Nobody here can validate the quality of your work except for you. That is the first step to sales my friend. You NEED to be confident with your product first! and the selling should honestly come naturally.
Cheers ;)

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
See below.

This.

If this were the only advice given in this thread, it would be enough.

Before you check out the resources below, let me first say that you will never ever close a sale by reading a book, or by watching a Youtube video. Such activities will educate you, they will motivate you, and give you the knowledge necessary to be successful.

But you've gotta treat your hustle like Mountain Dew, man. You gotta do the do. You have to commit to enough positive action, until the universe rewards you with the kinds of results you seek.

It is 100% possible for you to pick up the phone, start mastering the art of the cold call, and get people to buy what you're selling.

I know a commercial property manager whose owner spends a bunch of money on art for office spaces. Some artists make big cash selling their work.

Go get your money. It's there waiting for you to take it. All you have to do is pick up the phone and start calling the people who'll make you money.

HOW TO MAKE A COLD CALL:

HOW TO CLOSE MORE DEALS ON THE PHONE

COLD CALL TRAINING WITH GRANT CARDONE IN THE BOILER ROOM

Yeah... sure this is my next level (I start right now). So far from my culture, it will be really a fight for me to begin to work this way...
I need to change my habits and beliefs, and I am on the way. I wondered what the step beyond should be...
For sure theories are not enough and I have to put the hands inside. Thanks for the kick a$$...;)

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
You sound like me when I first started posting in this forum. It sounds like you don't really believe in your product. You're looking for approval from outside. Seek that within FIRST. Why would I want your product if YOU'RE unsure about it yourself? Nobody here will give you that answer except yourself. Nobody here can validate the quality of your work except for you. That is the first step to sales my friend. You NEED to be confident with your product first! and the selling should honestly come naturally.
Cheers ;)
That's exactly my situation... even if I know that I have worked a lot on every piece of art, and even if family and friends, sometimes show's visitors give me good feedbacks, I have some difficulties to evaluate my work with a clear mind. And it's one strong point I have to work on (self confidence). I began to work on habits and beliefs to fight against that weakness, on the one hand by following the miracle morning principles, on the other hand by programming some new shows to multiplicate feedbacks (good or bad ones...).
Thanks for your answer...

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
Hi everybody,

I didn't post any answer there for many days, not because I forgot your advises, but because I am working on them...
Sure, success is not coming overnight. But it's very helpfull to find some lights on the track... The first step of my hoply fastlane is underway, and I will give some news each time I make an iteration, if that can help other beginers...
Enjoy your week-end...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.