The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Remember This When You Say You Can't Compete

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Think a niche is too saturated?

Think you can't compete and all the good ideas are used up?

Sometimes you just need to improve on the not-so obvious...

This Is Why McDonald’s Coke Tastes Better Than All the Others

dude that’s pretty badass... i’ve been saying that mcdonald’s is one of the best in the industry

they are MASTERS of efficiency

i really want to learn everything i can about their time saving techniques as i can

actually i’d love to interview a manager or something there.. you would learn so much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Personally, I do not like the soft drinks at McDonald's. Back when my grandson was young we went to McDonald's once a week so he could play and I always got water.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
dude that’s pretty badass... i’ve been saying that mcdonald’s is one of the best in the industry

i really want to learn everything i can about their time saving techniques as i can

actually i’d love to interview a manager or something there.. you would learn so much

I agree completely. Just goes to show how valuable systems and processes are to your growth.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Im posting this to just share my take and angle on it, not to disagree.

To basically keep focus on what the intent was....

I agree systems and process are key!

I agree on efficiency!

But I want to hone in that for someone new or inexperienced, you might sit around all day complaining about how you can't compete and there are no new ways to out play the bigger giants, etc.

What McDonalds did with Coke.. a soft drink.. something everyone of their competitors has access to and thought was just a commodity, is the lesson you need to learn.

I know people that drive out of their way to purchase a drink from McDonalds.

Sure they have other advantages, but single focusing on how they deal with the drinks and making their drinks better than their competitors even though all the "raw" materials are the same, is what got them this advantage.

Just a ruthless pursuit of improvement on tiny parts of the system, a small tweak in efficiency, the willingness to take an "after thought" and improve on it has set them apart with just a Coke.

Sometimes you just have to take what you are given and tweak in ways no one else is thinking about. You have to dig in and be your own authority and do the things no one else would even touch or bother with. Sometimes doing things your way, no matter how crazy, is the key that will unlock your success.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

To basically keep focus on what the intent was....

I agree systems and process are key!

I agree on efficiency!

But I want to hone in that for someone new or inexperienced, you might sit around all day complaining about how you can't compete and there are no new ways to out play the bigger giants, etc.

What McDonalds did with Coke.. a soft drink.. something everyone of their competitors has access to and thought was just a commodity, is the lesson you need to learn.

I know people that drive out of their way to purchase a drink from McDonalds.

Sure they have other advantages, but single focusing on how they deal with the drinks and making their drinks better than their competitors even though all the "raw" materials are the same, is what got them this advantage.

Just a ruthless pursuit of improvement on tiny parts of the system, a small tweak in efficiency, the willingness to take an "after thought" and improve on it has set them apart with just a Coke.

Sometimes you just have to take what you are given and tweak in ways no one else is thinking about. You have to dig in and be your own authority and do the things no one else would even touch or bother with. Sometimes doing things your way, no matter how crazy, is the key that will unlock your success.

Nice. It reminds me of something Blaise Brosnan said about the successful businesses having an extra twist.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

I've often wondered whether I missed out working even at a McDonalds. Jeff Bezos apparently got infatuated with automation and processes, key elements of Amazon's success, from working there.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos says working at McDonald’s as a 16-year-old made him obsessed with automation and managing employees

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I've often wondered whether I missed out working even at a McDonalds. Jeff Bezos apparently got infatuated with automation and processes, key elements of Amazon's success, from working there.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos says working at McDonald’s as a 16-year-old made him obsessed with automation and managing employees
Dude I was alluding to it but I was embarrassed to even say it lol.. but every time I buy something from McDonalds I’ve thought to myself “if i worked here, I would learn so much about automation”

It started because I would always get a McFlurry, right? And the automation techniques they have for those is brilliant. The ice creak pours out, then they turn the oreo crank which puts in the exact right amount of oreo, then they use that special square spoon as a mixer. The spoon connects to a machine and spins it out.

Ever wondered why the spoon in your McFlurry has a square hole at the end? Here’s why

But I’m so curious about it that I’ve begun researching it online:

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.36.37 AM.png

In other words, I’ve become obsessed with automation just from watching them make my McFlurries lol

I honestly would love to work there for a few weeks simply to sit there and take notes on their automation processes like you said, but I’m gonna have to get past the stupid uniform lol... maybe i’ll do it far from where i live and go in straight as a general manager lol.. I mean I’m 32 years old so it’s like uh lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBocuZvSzI4

View: https://youtu.be/3LF_ofBrgfU

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Great article. Inspiration for greatness can be found anywhere. It is our job as entrepreneurs to be the best at what we do.

In a sea of mediocrity we can rise up by doing better. Crush "business as usual".

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've driven to McDonald's specifically for their Coke many times. I always thought it was the straw.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve told many a youngster to get a job in McDonalds.

I’ve also said I’d be happy flipping burgers to keep a roof over my head and work on my biz on the side. (I don’t need to, and it wouldn’t pay enough, but I learned a lot working in factories and being on the lowest rung in big organizations.)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Sorry @eliquid .. we got so distracted by all the other interesting topics regarding McDonalds that we essentally misssed Jason's point, and I think it's an important one. All you have to do to beat your competition is be one percent better than them. Lets say there are two products next to eachother. One has 99 'value points,' and the other hs 100 'value points'.... which are you goin to choose?

All you have to be is 1% better. Taste 1% sweeter, look 1% nicer, smell 1% better, cost 1% less, be 1% closer or ofer 1% less hassle and people.. almost as a matter of mathematical law, will buy your product instead of the other. Period.

Explorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Aug 28, 2017
Earth

This reminds me of when I brought up people starting their own businesses, to my workmate on our lunch break. He replied "all the good ideas have been invented".

At the time, I didn't say anything because I didn't know how to put it, also he is alot older than me. In retrospect, what I should have replied: "You don't necacerally need a new idea, there are thousands of lousy ideas already in circulation, just improve one of them".

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
If we ever said , "Can't" my MMA coach would make us run laps around his farm.

So eventually I stopped saying that word.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.