The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
A theme I keep seeing come up with peers (those in their mid-20's) is that those with lots of fancy degrees but no real progress are extremely jealous of those with lots of progress and no fancy degrees
-
to the point of wanting to see the latter stripped of all their achievements.

It's especially true in the way my generation views the older generation(s).
Do you have some specific examples?
I smell a few good stories for this thread!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Do you have some specific examples?
I smell a few good stories for this thread!
Not really a story, I've just got some friends who are also in their 20's, have nice degrees from expensive colleges, have well-respected jobs (but got them like, yesterday), and complain about clients who are wealthy and don't have their "formal" educational background, how they aren't well-refined, yaddah yaddah

Mostly lawyers, investment managers, and some real estate agents - talking about their clients, mostly old

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Not really a story, I've just got some friends who are also in their 20's, have nice degrees from expensive colleges, have well-respected jobs (but got them like, yesterday), and complain about clients who are wealthy and don't have their "formal" educational background, how they aren't well-refined, yaddah yaddah

Mostly lawyers, investment managers, and some real estate agents - talking about their clients, mostly old
That’s very common. People show their own insecurities through fake aggression to the “others”. They laugh at lack of a “degree” while secretly being just jealous of financial success. Ignore the ignorant!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Imagine how jealous they would be to meet someone with fancy degrees and financial success. Buahahahahahahaha

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Imagine how jealous they would to meet someone with fancy degrees and financial success. Buahahahahahahaha
Such people don’t exist. Oh wait, what’s that on my wall? :rofl:

obey bitches!

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Screenshot 2021-10-09 192707.png
This is a message I received from envato, when I was trying to buy an HTML template. I did contact support and they decided to deactivate my account. has anyone gone through this issue? Is there a solution?

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I don't smoke, save hookah or cigars every few months. I'm not planning to start cigarettes, but I'm going to keep wondering about this one.
I heard a theory once, that the war on tobacco was because smokers routinely take 5 minutes, 10-20 times a day to simply sit outside and reflect.

That could result in critical thinking, which we can’t have.

For real though, don’t smoke. I smoked for 5 years, quit almost 7 years ago and I’m still happy I did.

I do vape however.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany

I think that lots of those people are not necessarily jealous of the wealth but rather of the fact that they had similar ideas but did not go for them. College is a place where there are lots of smart people and if someone realizes that 90% of the people are smarter than them, chances are high that they will be criticized and belittled a lot. After experiencing tons of criticism plus bad grades despite of hard and smart work lots of people going to college start thinking that they are bad at everything forgetting that there are lots of other opportunities around the world.

And after college people with a degree realize that their degree does not mean anything at all in the real world. Some of them have to work as cleaning managers after getting their degree and while scrubbing toilets is also a well-respected job, lots of those people would be jealous since they have wasted a lot of their time and money on a rather useless piece of paper.

In my opinion, the solution to this jealousy is that people should tell the haters to go screw themselves and just shut up. For those who are rather polite, I recommend to use the phrase "OK, you are right, I should quit pursuing my goal.". Being able to stand up for yourself is the first step to overcome jealousy.

So if a driving instructor is constantly telling you that you suck at driving, tell them that you will quit driving and that they are right. But in reality, go to a different driving instructor and learn to drive better.

If a professor is telling you that they know high school students who know your subject better than you as a more experienced student, tell them that they are right. But in reality, go to a different professor and improve your skills.

If your friends or relatives are telling you that your dreams and goals of a big salary are unrealistic with your experience and that you should settle for less, while in reality, your goals are ambitious but possible, tell them that you will settle for less. But in reality, find a job which gives you a higher income.

Finally, if you are interested in becoming an entrepreneur and people inside your circle are telling you that you should not do this since you are not experienced enough, tell them that you will quit pursuing entrepreneurship and go back to mundane jobs. But in reality, get this experience, keep going and prove them wrong.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I think that lots of those people are not necessarily jealous of the wealth but rather of the fact that they had similar ideas but did not go for them. College is a place where there are lots of smart people and if someone realizes that 90% of the people are smarter than them, chances are high that they will be criticized and belittled a lot. After experiencing tons of criticism plus bad grades despite of hard and smart work lots of people going to college start thinking that they are bad at everything forgetting that there are lots of other opportunities around the world.

And after college people with a degree realize that their degree does not mean anything at all in the real world. Some of them have to work as cleaning managers after getting their degree and while scrubbing toilets is also a well-respected job, lots of those people would be jealous since they have wasted a lot of their time and money on a rather useless piece of paper.

In my opinion, the solution to this jealousy is that people should tell the haters to go screw themselves and just shut up. For those who are rather polite, I recommend to use the phrase "OK, you are right, I should quit pursuing my goal.". Being able to stand up for yourself is the first step to overcome jealousy.

So if a driving instructor is constantly telling you that you suck at driving, tell them that you will quit driving and that they are right. But in reality, go to a different driving instructor and learn to drive better.

If a professor is telling you that they know high school students who know your subject better than you as a more experienced student, tell them that they are right. But in reality, go to a different professor and improve your skills.

If your friends or relatives are telling you that your dreams and goals of a big salary are unrealistic with your experience and that you should settle for less, while in reality, your goals are ambitious but possible, tell them that you will settle for less. But in reality, find a job which gives you a higher income.

Finally, if you are interested in becoming an entrepreneur and people inside your circle are telling you that you should not do this since you are not experienced enough, tell them that you will quit pursuing entrepreneurship and go back to mundane jobs. But in reality, get this experience, keep going and prove them wrong.
There is definitely jealously involved when two parties are the same age, one is $200k in debt making $75k a year, and the other is in little to no debt with a business doing multiple millions in revenue after just a few years — the same amount of time the prior person spent in school.

Reality comes crashing down. They did everything they were “supposed to” yet the actual results show an entirely different story.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I don't smoke, save hookah or cigars every few months. I'm not planning to start cigarettes, but I'm going to keep wondering about this one.
govt banned poison for human consumption too. (don't take it though)

though I agree with your POV we do have to draw the line as nothing is black and white some decisions of the govt can be good.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I agree.

I went to college for engineering and immediately noticed that many people were a lot smarter than me when it came to math skills and the sciences. I was always more an artsy language arts person, but I wanted to do what paid well.

The trick IMO is where you place your self worth and your own value.

I never looked at my grades or my performance in a certain subject as affecting my own self worth.

I looked at my own effort as my ultimate source of self worth. I would get down on myself for not trying; I would never be defeated by a bad result.

This seems to be an important perspective to maintain if you want to stick with something difficult. I've gotta work to maintain that attitude myself.

(this is why when I got a C in a really tough class, I was excited, because I knew I worked my a$$ off for it, but getting a B in a class that was easy was disappointing because I knew that I didn't apply myself)

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
The math to get a STEM job: elite level
The math to become wealthy: 6th grade
Actually, the math to get some programming jobs or other STEM jobs is also not elite level math. For my current job as an app developer on React / Python I do not remember to have used any math at all.

Edit: Also, the math to become wealthy is not necessarily taught in 6th grade. Compound interest is taught in the 10th grade in Germany. Expectation values are taught in the 11th grade, it is possible though to understand them at an earlier level using the word "average value".

And if you could choose between 1 million dollars in instant or 100,000$ every year, what would you choose and why? The math required for the analysis of this simple question is really interesting!

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Please Help me find this..

I can’t remember which thread Lex wrote that has him explain how he hacked the college experience and worked the system.

A friend of mine is devastated because she recently got punished by her college professor to write something that’s worthless..

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Please Help me find this..

I can’t remember which thread Lex wrote that has him explain how he hacked the college experience and worked the system.

A friend of mine is devastated because she recently got punished by her college professor to write something that’s worthless..

I think this is my only college thread:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I think this is my only college thread:

Thanks Lex!!!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Truth?

People tend to whisper when they say the truth and raise their voice when they lie.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Actually, the math to get some programming jobs or other STEM jobs is also not elite level math. For my current job as an app developer on React / Python I do not remember to have used any math at all.

Edit: Also, the math to become wealthy is not necessarily taught in 6th grade. Compound interest is taught in the 10th grade in Germany. Expectation values are taught in the 11th grade, it is possible though to understand them at an earlier level using the word "average value".

And if you could choose between 1 million dollars in instant or 100,000$ every year, what would you choose and why? The math required for the analysis of this simple question is really interesting!
Compound interest was never taught as a concept when I was in school, but fractions and percentages were taught in middle school, like, 5th and 6th grade. That’s all you need to figure out ROI and go from there with your own imagination and creativity...

And that’s a good question, but IMO the only right answer is $1 million now.

$100,000 per year could be better in total, but inflation will make it worth less and less each year and money now is worth more than money tomorrow.

MJ explains this perfectly in his books.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
You should pray for a healthy mind in a healthy body.
Ask for a stout heart that has no fear of death,
and deems length of days the least of Nature's gifts
that can endure any kind of toil,
that knows neither wrath nor desire and thinks
the woes and hard labors of Hercules better than
the loves and banquets and downy cushions of Sardanapalus.
What I commend to you, you can give to yourself;
For assuredly, the only road to a life of peace is virtue.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I don't know who needs to hear this,

but anyone who tries to convince you that having children or having responsibilities to friends, families, and people in your community are burdens rather than the things that make life meaningful is a F*cking demon and you should ignore absolutely everything that they have to say.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
A theme I keep seeing come up with peers (those in their mid-20's) is that those with lots of fancy degrees but no real progress are extremely jealous of those with lots of progress and no fancy degrees

I see the same thing. Look at the comment section in any Market Watch or Barrons article. LOL

It’s partly true though and it’s a result of a fast changing economy. We have a fascist corporate elite that has outsourced the entire manufacturing economy of the US and has funded technology and innovation with unlimited 0% loans. And corrupt politicians that won’t stop selling out its citizens for bottom dollar. So it’s no surprise there is no longer a need for entitled professional textbook memorizers.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I see the same thing. Look at the comment section in any Market Watch or Barrons article. LOL

It’s partly true though and it’s a result of a fast changing economy. We have a fascist corporate elite that has outsourced the entire manufacturing economy of the US and has funded technology and innovation with unlimited 0% loans. And corrupt politicians that won’t stop selling out its citizens for bottom dollar. So it’s no surprise there is no longer a need for entitled professional textbook memorizers.
It’s true, and this is a battle that continues to rage on. However, there are lots of highly paid textbook memorizers, particularly as red tape and regulations increase. It’s a shame because much of that work is a waste and produces nothing. It’s broken window fallacy at its finest.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
It’s true, and this is a battle that continues to rage on. However, there are lots of highly paid textbook memorizers, particularly as red tape and regulations increase. It’s a shame because much of that work is a waste and produces nothing. It’s broken window fallacy at its finest.
Arthur Schopenhauer once said that every new idea (or in his words: all truth) passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Regulations is a field where machine learning and IT in general can ultimately replace those highly paid textbook memorizers. But since those memorizers are in control and do not want to lose their jobs or their power, they simply prohibit to use artificial intelligence. Eventually, governments will no longer be willing to pay them anymore so that technology takes over.

But there are also college degrees with little to no textbook memorizing that are also not in very high demand. The best example is probably physics. While some physicists are paid well, in my opinion, in physics - similar to business - personality matters more than a degree.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Arthur Schopenhauer once said that every new idea (or in his words: all truth) passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Regulations is a field where machine learning and IT in general can ultimately replace those highly paid textbook memorizers. But since those memorizers are in control and do not want to lose their jobs or their power, they simply prohibit to use artificial intelligence. Eventually, governments will no longer be willing to pay them anymore so that technology takes over.

But there are also college degrees with little to no textbook memorizing that are also not in very high demand. The best example is probably physics. While some physicists are paid well, in my opinion, in physics - similar to business - personality matters more than a degree.
There are just so many levels, layers, and overlapping rules and things for this to ever be feasible, and they are constantly changing. It would require the most advanced algorithms of all time to decipher that. Humans are currently the only option available for sorting through the myriad rules, paperwork, specifications, standards, codes, permits, and more that take up so much time in the 21st century (legal, financial, engineering, technical, purchasing, safety, environmental, human resources, you name it - there's a @#%load of paperwork).

I mean a lot of times you'll encounter different file types, like pdf, excel, an email, a scanned handwritten note, and more outlining the specifications for a project, applicable codes and things, then there's some overlap with another industry or profession that needs to be considered, that resource is difficult to find and a lot of people would miss it entirely...

I'm just throwing out a lot of stuff but yeah I don't think AI is close to being able to do things like that.

And maybe simplifying all this stuff is just wishful thinking!

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
There are just so many levels, layers, and overlapping rules and things for this to ever be feasible, and they are constantly changing. It would require the most advanced algorithms of all time to decipher that. Humans are currently the only option available for sorting through the myriad rules, paperwork, specifications, standards, codes, permits, and more that take up so much time in the 21st century (legal, financial, engineering, technical, purchasing, safety, environmental, human resources, you name it - there's a @#%load of paperwork).

I mean a lot of times you'll encounter different file types, like pdf, excel, an email, a scanned handwritten note, and more outlining the specifications for a project, applicable codes and things, then there's some overlap with another industry or profession that needs to be considered, that resource is difficult to find and a lot of people would miss it entirely...

I'm just throwing out a lot of stuff but yeah I don't think AI is close to being able to do things like that.

And maybe simplifying all this stuff is just wishful thinking!
I live in Germany so I do not know if my perspective applies to the different countries. However, in Germany this complexity and constant change is to some amount artificially created by regulators so that AI and IT cannot replace them easily and the regulators do not lose their power.

One example is that the German taxation laws are so complex that to write them down you will have to use 75% of the space that is required to write down the taxation laws of the entire world.

Another example is that the German authorities have to obey the laws on data protection. This leads to situations where the federal criminal office is not allowed to look at the databases on criminals in the police office and vice versa. This is how lots of criminals escape their punishment for years.

So simplifying the regulations and the bureaucracy is definitely possible and important.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018