The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
So many "services" running in the background that send/receive data without my knowing or even allowing it.

I'm locked out of controlling my own hardware and software - this is not the way for me.

I got a $2000 piece of hardware in my pocket that doesn't serve ME, it serves the puppeteers that benefit from selling every bit of information about me to the highest bidders, including shady governments and "federal agencies" without my knowing or my consent.
Have you checked out Punkt. MP01: a basic internet free mobile phone by Jasper Morrison. ? I'm considering getting one. Can't ship it to Mexico though.
Linux is legit - but it is highly customizable and requires a lot of patience. It isn't a plug and play type of product, but with root access, simplified file structures, and easily manageable services/software you can very quickly gain godlike powers over your machine. If you've given up on it, you might have done so too early. In my honest opinion, it is well worth the learning curve.
I've been out of the game for a few years, but I used to run Manjaro. Never had a virus and never lost any speed unlike pile of garbage Windows. What distro would you recommend?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Experts say that you can catch the rona whilst sitting down, but not when standing up...

But it's the reverse in restaurants.

Follow the science you fricking conspiracy theorists. 20210928_122033.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018
For all of you who work at Walmart thank you.

thanks for giving up on your dreams to help me same 0.15

The other day I’m in the dog treats isle, getting jerky treats

It’s cheaper than regular jerky

I know… but if your start then young, kids won’t know the difference

So I as there.

and I wish I could take that back but

I said to a person working there “oh when is the baby due?”

a loving question

The dude was pissed…

/end dry bar comedy by Rodney Norman :rofl:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Connected to my post yesterday. The European goverment seems to be very interested in taking over a large chunk of the property market. I guess part of the "You'll own nothing and be happy" mindset.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 at 09.00.43.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Connected to my post yesterday. The European goverment seems to be very interested in taking over a large chunk of the property market. I guess part of the "You'll own nothing and be happy" mindset.

View attachment 40140

WHAT THE F***.

People voted to confiscate LEGALLY-ACQUIRED real estate just because the rents are too high? How can this even happen in a "civilized" country? What a way to discourage investors from investing in Germany.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
WHAT THE F***.

People voted to confiscate LEGALLY-ACQUIRED real estate just because the rents are too high? How can this even happen in a "civilized" country? What a way to discourage investors from investing in Germany.

It is like that joke about two wolves and a chicken voting over what's for dinner.

Maybe I am reading too much between the lines but a lot of EU countries just sound very desperate at the moment. Like not just for political gain (but that too) but that they are bracing for a big economic situation.

I just don't see the logic in clamping down on the people taking the risks versus just opening up the market for more entrepreneurs to sort these issues out. This just seems to go against the most basic economic logic.

"Hey, where did all those investors go?"

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Does anyone have any resources/suggestions/examples how people reinvent themselves in business or in personal life?

I've been working on the same business for years (self-publishing and writing in general). I'm stuck, bored, and burned out and may need a complete pivot. I'm not sure how to escape from this trap, though. I've invested so much of my life and identity into it that it's hard to let go.

I'm not even sure if I should actually do it, even though it's been already over a year of consistent self-doubt, frustration, and no longer believing that my skills are valuable.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
We now return to popular Russian cartoon, Shoe and Shoelace.

Shoe and Shoelace!

One is meaningless without the other!

FbPXDbq.png

Союз нерушимый республик свободных
Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
Да здравствует созданный волей народов
Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Does anyone have any resources/suggestions/examples how people reinvent themselves in business or in personal life?

I've been working on the same business for years (self-publishing and writing in general). I'm stuck, bored, and burned out and may need a complete pivot. I'm not sure how to escape from this trap, though. I've invested so much of my life and identity into it that it's hard to let go.

I'm not even sure if I should actually do it, even though it's been already over a year of consistent self-doubt, frustration, and no longer believing that my skills are valuable.

Big changes happen through a big renunciation, instead of incremental improvements. Did you write down who you are and how you want your life to look like?

Maybe you are just reacting to your circumstances at the moment(being stuck in self-publishing). To get out, allow yourself to dream again, find your authentic self and act.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Either help someone to do what you’ve done by mentoring them OR go start at the bottom doing something else.

Let go of your pride.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018

Does it help to know that almost every person on the planet at some point has the same issue?

The answers are within you. You’ve read enough books, you’ve helped enough people to know. Imagine it’s not you writing this post but your friend. What advice would you give your friend?

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Saw someone mention how they predict laws like the ones used in China to steal private property would come to the West yesterday, interestingly a friend sent me this today.

xdhj8pechzp71.jpg

D

Deleted70138

View attachment 40119

"We wish to strengthen protection against evictions for those who are renting and the legislation would remove the so-called no-fault evictions and provide tenancy of indefinite duration," Ms Bacik said.

"It would remove the ground which allows the landlord to terminate tenancy on the basis that they intend to sell the property in three months and put curbs on evictions for the purposes of refurbishment or for passing the properties on to family members."

According to a report from the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB), the main reason behind eviction notices are landlords declaring an intent to sell the property.

"This is the primary cause of families entering homelessness," Ms Bacik added.

"The second challenge is that of unaffordable rents and deposits.

"We have called for a three-year rent freeze and we believe that is essential."

The Dublin Bay South TD also said the change to annual rent increases was "not sufficient" to tackle rising rents.

The Minister for Housing Darragh O'Brien said in July that rent increases in rent pressure zones would be based on inflation instead of set caps.

Ms Bacik said: "Our Bill would also declare the entire state a rent pressure zone and cap deposits at one month's rent.

"We know that in Ireland, renters face a whole range of different restrictive measures in their leases which prevent them from seeing their rented home as a permanent one.

"In other European countries, it is common for renters to be able to keep pets in their home and to request an unfurnished property so they can move their own furniture in.

"(The legislation) would provide for the right to rent unfurnished and rule against a complete prohibition on keeping pets.

"We need to ensure that renting becomes a long-term viable and sustainable option and ensure we have cultural shift to skew away from this vision of renting, always in terms of the landlord and their investment and their income, and instead skew our policy back, rightly somewhat, towards renters and towards seeing rental properties as homes."

Mr O'Brien, who said the Government would not oppose the Bill, said any new measures should be "fair".

He added: "Any new measure must be capable of withstanding legal challenge too, including a constitutional challenge.

"In relation to supply we can accept there are acute pressures in the rental market, driven by a number of factors but predominately rising demand for rental accommodation.

"The long-term solution for the high levels of rent lies in an increase in supply as well as providing transparency and consistency around rent levels."

Sinn Fein's Eoin O Broin criticised comments by Tanaiste Leo Varadkar that there needs to be "a balance" between the regulation of rents and landlords' income.

Mr Varadkar said on Tuesday that "one person's rent is another person's income".

Mr O Broin said those comments portrayed "an appalling ignorance" of the reality of the rental market.

He told the Dail: "I think the very widespread reaction to the Tanaiste's comments is evidence there is no balance in the rights between landlords and tenants in the current market.

"That's why we have seen a doubling of rent across the state over the last number of years.

"That's why we continue to see a large number of tenants evicted on spurious grounds and have so many rental properties that don't meet minimum standards.

"He tried to present himself as the champion of the small landlord. I have to say if I was an accidental or semi-professional landlord, I would be most critical of the repeated failure of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael to do anything to stop the disorderly exit of the accidental landlords from the market."

---

That's the final straw for my rental plans in Ireland. Looking towards Poland now.
Probably they think that rental real-estate investors don't add any value in the economy.
Is there any argument against?

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I've been trying to get a hold of my tree guy for a couple weeks to take down a big ash that is dying at a rental property. Yesterday I found out he's in jail awaiting trial for murdering his neighbor last month. Oops

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Saw someone mention how they predict laws like the ones used in China to steal private property would come to the West yesterday, interestingly a friend sent me this today.

xdhj8pechzp71.jpg

What is "public ownership?"

If a public corporation owns the property, it is already public ownership. All you do is buy 1 share of the corporation and boom, you own it.

If "public ownership" happens to be government (ultimately taxpayers who are productive) god help us. As you know, most people pay no taxes. Coming to your neighborhood soon... afterall, it's for the children.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What is "public ownership?"

If a public corporation owns the property, it is already public ownership. All you do is buy 1 share of the corporation and boom, you own it.

If "public ownership" happens to be government (ultimately taxpayers who are productive) god help us. As you know, most people pay no taxes. Coming to your neighborhood soon... afterall, it's for the children.
They think that the government is "us."

If the government owns it, then "we" own it.

LOL. "They" could not be more wrong.

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021
That's not true OnlyFans is legitimate according to supply & demand you're just required to have the "goods".

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021
What was the first thing in your life you saved up money to buy?

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
I think it was this order: A camera, a computer, then tuition. I already had my first computer otherwise that would have been first.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Not sure, but I distinctly remember being a child at Chuck E. Cheese and hearing the ticket machine ask "What bigger prize are you saving for?"

I still have all my tickets. Never spent them lol.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Relevant to this discussion is this supreme court case that in my opinion is the worst case of all time.

There is no such thing as private property or freedom.

Here it is:

Kelo v. City of New London - Wikipedia

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Either help someone to do what you’ve done by mentoring them OR go start at the bottom doing something else.

Let go of your pride.

This may be my low self-esteem but I really don't think I'm qualified to be anyone's mentor.

Does it help to know that almost every person on the planet at some point has the same issue?

The answers are within you. You’ve read enough books, you’ve helped enough people to know. Imagine it’s not you writing this post but your friend. What advice would you give your friend?

Yeah I talked with a friend who shared similar struggles. It helped to know I'm not alone in this.

You're right that the answers are within me. My lack of confidence prevents me from finding them.

What advice would I give my friend? Probably to take it easy, let go of any pressure to find something right away and just try a lot of different stuff and see what comes out of it.

As I write this, I just realized that I have a tendency to worry about not being productive enough, as if taking such a break would completely destroy my business, my skills, and my finances. But the truth is that I may just as well die in a year or two and never actually enjoy what I've managed to accomplish until now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.