The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The zombie apocalypse is already here. These aren’t people.

Ah yes, the age of entitlement and victimhood. Yes people, NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is your fault, from being late to what you shove into your mouth -- when you have problems being an adult, look to the world for something/one to blame, you're sure to find it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ah yes, the age of entitlement and victimhood. Yes people, NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is your fault, from being late to what you shove into your mouth -- when you have problems being an adult, look to the world for something/one to blame, you're sure to find it.
Exactly.

If this is their life strategy… Are they truly living? Is it life or just existing? The devastating part is that they are mostly young people who have already totally given up.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
The zombie apocalypse is already here. These aren’t people.
4479140_orig.jpg

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You should read purple cow

You don’t want to be slightly better than these guys, that just isn’t enough

You want to be vastly different enough that you stand out. Rather than being better, be different

Black rifle coffee for example, generic coffee that’s marketed to a specific group in a way that really stands out and gets attention

Other things you can do differently in execution are where you market it. Can you choose a different sales channel? Can you change the offer?

Can you partner with an influencer?

Can you price it’s really high?

Can you hit a particular niche in the market? (probably not the best idea, I wouldn’t want to niche down too much, maybe making a male version of something usually targeting females would be about as niche as I’d want to go market wise depending how big the niche is)

Can you brand it differently? Eg if they are all minimalist, go maximalist

Here is a good Instagram page to learn about this

You also of course want to tie this in with a desire

Is there a desire for a men’s version, a high priced version, a maximalist banded version?

For example a product I sell in my business is generally promoted in a very features focused way, but I had a feeling most people didn’t actually understand the features or care about them, so I launched a different version, objectively a worse version, but far simpler to use which I think the market actually cared about more than features. A segment of the market at least anyway. Female and older which is a good market to be hitting.

Is apple worse than pc? Who knows, but it’s different. Is one pc laptop better than another? Not sure but I wouldn’t want to be competing hoping my consumer did enough research to find out mine was slightly better, I’d rather just be apple and be different all together.
This post is gold. I might just print it out and pin it to the wall.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

fabios

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 3, 2023
Yesterday I started reading Unscripted , after a few years ago that I finished the first book.
Two things make me think:

I see that Unscripted was written in 2017, but how is possible?
Part II seems to talk about the hell of a society we're living in since 2020. I can't imagine how was the rage of MJ DeMarco during that.

The other thing is that how is possible that still today you get in debt to get graduated? Do you know that this phenomenon is so exaggerated? It's a real scam for you because people here in Europe don't spend so much money to get that piece of paper.
Moreover, if talk about IT engineers, (if you are not dumb) no one cares which University you came from since there is in high demand for developers. So why spend so much money?

Greetings from Italy and thank you MJ for this book
book.jpg

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Lie and say the event is an hour earlier than it is
I'll remember this advice from now on no matter what. I had a really painful and bad experience because one of the guys I was waiting for didn't show up on time.

The bus came to the terminal at 1:15. Left at 1:20 despite me telling them to wait. We were 2 guys waiting at the terminal for another guy who was responsible for driving my younger brother to the bus terminal. The guy who I was waiting for came at 1:25 with my brother.

As soon as he left, the three of us booked an uber (took us 5 mins as well) and raced to the 2nd bus terminal of that same company because that was our chance of getting into that same bus I saw at the 1st terminal.

Long story short, we got stuck in heavy traffic and arrived at the 2nd terminal 20 minutes late. Tried refunding the tickets we bought but it wasn't possible because I booked them online and had to refund them online. (I still haven't got a refund for those 3 first class tickets)

After three hours of mental torture and frustration, we got into a coach. It was more like a metal box where humans were stuffed and we travelled to our destination like that.

All that trouble cause I told that guy the bus was leaving at 1:15. And he came 10 minutes late. Even right now as I'm typing this, I'm in a meeting room waiting for the other person to join.

I hope this story inspires you to show up on time. Or 10 minutes earlier preferrably.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Thanks for all the great advice. I will change from being the guy who's always 15 minutes late back to the younger subsonic who was always 15 to 20 minutes early.
I wish you had gotten all that advice when we met up back then
facepalm-crying-01-12.jpg

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Yesterday I started reading Unscripted , after a few years ago that I finished the first book.
Two things make me think:

I see that Unscripted was written in 2017, but how is possible?
Part II seems to talk about the hell of a society we're living in since 2020. I can't imagine how was the rage of MJ DeMarco during that.

The other thing is that how is possible that still today you get in debt to get graduated? Do you know that this phenomenon is so exaggerated? It's a real scam for you because people here in Europe don't spend so much money to get that piece of paper.
Moreover, if talk about IT engineers, (if you are not dumb) no one cares which University you came from since there is in high demand for developers. So why spend so much money?

Greetings from Italy and thank you MJ for this book
View attachment 50260
MJ DeMarco is from the USA where all those concepts you talk about apply to.
He isn't talking about Italy and pizza, he's talking about the land of freedom (and student loan debts).

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
There’s this thing in high school chemistry about enthalpy. Basically for a chemical reaction to get from one end to another, it always needs to go over an initial investment in energy, this is called activation energy. Once it gets over that hump, the reaction progresses either endo or exothermically. Endothermic reactions need to keep getting fed energy to proceed, exothermic reactions happen on their own and even provide the energy for other reactants to get over their activation.

Now here’s something cool. You can decrease that activation energy needed by adding a catalyst. For gunpowder, it’s sulphate. It helps move oxygen from nitrate to the carbon in the graphite. The only problem is that using a catalyst is sometimes expensive, stops being as effective over time due to reasons, and can cause unwanted reactions, like how a generous return policy can lower the perceived risk but cause vampire customers to buy, open, return, and buy again at a discount.

If you have customers, try to catalyze the move from prospect to fan, and focus on reactions that release energy rather than need a steady drip of it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
If you're looking to sell stuff online, one of the best books you could ever read for niche and market research is "Different" by Youngme Moon.

The book explains how to win in oversaturated markets.

Recent examples of such execution are Liquid Death and Bang.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
The mainstream "get-rich" narrative has evolved over the years a bit like that:

First there was FIRE, rendered possible by one of the longest bull markets that ever was.

Then there was FatFIRE, fueled by the startup and crypto craze. It failed, so people went on to be...

Digital nomads. It wasn't about "doing what you want" but "going where you want" while building products from your laptop financed by freelance work.

Then WFH came which led to the fake digital nomads, the employed WFH people who worked from a Cafe in Medellin or Mexico.

And now, you have a mix of "passive income" (Eg: selling Notion templates on Gumroad), digital nomadism, and FIRE where the purpose is to earn $1000 per month "passively" so you can afford doing nothing in a third-world country.

I suspect that all of this will quickly go back to "having a job that you love".

G

Guest-5ty5s4

First there was FIRE, rendered possible by one of the longest bull markets that ever was.

Then there was FatFIRE, fueled by the startup and crypto craze. It failed, so people went on to be...

Digital nomads. It wasn't about "doing what you want" but "going where you want" while building products from your laptop financed by freelance work.

Then WFH came which led to the fake digital nomads, the employed WFH people who worked from a Cafe in Medellin or Mexico.

And now, you have a mix of "passive income" (Eg: selling Notion templates on Gumroad), digital nomadism, and FIRE where the purpose is to earn $1000 per month "passively" so you can afford doing nothing in a third-world country.

I suspect that all of this will quickly go back to "having a job that you love".
I've seen all of these trends too, but have learned to ignore most of them. I've learned a small amount from each thing, like how to invest this way, how to market that way, but ultimately have been slowly finding what works for me and what the right path is for my unique set of circumstances and skills. I think this is what each person needs to do. Find the problems you can solve and the path that works best for you. Ignore all of this reddit BS.

There is nothing "fake" or "imaginary" about not needing a job. There are people who employ other people. Leaders exist. Ownership exists. These trends are just silly.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
If you're looking to sell stuff online, one of the best books you could ever read for niche and market research is "Different" by Youngme Moon.

The book explains how to win in oversaturated markets.

Recent examples of such execution are Liquid Death and Bang.
Different by Youngme Moon is really a game changer. 75% recommended. I left 15% because Youngme Moon is more of a college professor than a 'hardcore' entrepreneur. But still that book holds a high place on my reading list.

Youngme Moon also has given examples of value arrays/attributes/elements of value in an already existing products on the market.

As far as I know, there is less old content than new content in this book. Less regurgitations and piggybacking from popular books. She did her own research.

Lastly, I listened to this book while getting paid to clean an old lady's house from the church I attended. Pretty good use of the time for a mundane task. I wish I can listen it again on real spoken audiobook. I was using built-in TTS on my Android phone.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Was wondering where Gordon Miller, who used to be one of Quora's best writers, went to.

He wrote many widely-read posts from his time owning G3 Systems and Ventures...yet some users criticised them
as not that special, as you could get his tidbits from many books.

Then I discovered this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/quora/comments/ozidhv View: https://www.reddit.com/r/quora/comments/ozidhv/gordon_miller_self_styled_financial_whiz_of_quora/

Rather taken aback by the massive lying and trainwreck.

Maybe it was a good thing Quora didn't give him the Top Writer award (before they retired the scheme)?

Sad thing is that he did list TMF as one of the best biz reads to go to, in one of his posts.
But I guess TMF already have enough coverage to stand out on the SEO, so he just spotted it and ran with it?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Sad thing is that he did list TMF as one of the best biz reads to go to, in one of his posts.
But I guess TMF already have enough coverage to stand out on the SEO, so he just spotted it and ran with it?
Why is that sad?

Just because someone bad recommends something good, makes the good thing bad? It doesn't work like that. I know that the media and pop culture like to propagate this logical fallacy, but it is still completely illogical.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Why is that sad?

Just because someone bad recommends something good, makes the good thing bad? It doesn't work like that. I know that the media and pop culture like to propagate this logical fallacy, but it is still completely illogical.
For me, it's sad because Gordon could have decided to do legitimate business.
So that his posts can be authentic for real.
Even better if he could be a good example/role models of the books he preaches.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So I've been tinkering with ways to help me sleep better at night. I always have my magnesium and ashwaganda before bed, or close to it. I've always eaten something before bed, like a large snack.

Everywhere I read always says don't eat before bed. Don't eat big meals after such and such a time. Well I tried it for a week, and slept absolutely terrible for a week. Last night I ate 30 min before bed. I slept like a freaking baby the whole night through.

So yea. I am going to keep eating right before bed.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJdZ7kmA2QQ

I have become intrigued by the concept of digital minimalism. I am not, in any way, what someone would currently call a minimalist.

The point about adopting something that improves my life even just a tiny bit, simply because I can afford it, and why not, struck me hard. I am the guy that always buys the best phone available “because business.” I have a 13 Pro Max… Just the name of it makes you think it‘s going to give you digital diabetes.

Do I weigh the costs of those decisions as much as I should? Could I be more deliberate in my work and leisure? Could I engage in things that support my values to a higher degree? Could I achieve more with more personal peace? How bad is the noise?

I need to find out.

I am going to order a flip phone right after I post this and give it a go. If I want to check email, or browse the web, I am going to have to deliberately grab the iPad or sit at my computer.

I am not getting rid of the iPhone, but it can just live on my desk for things like Microsoft teams.

I also got the Hal Newport book, on Kindle, even though it is tech, it might as well be a physical printed book. There’s zero temptation to scroll uselessness.

I have a feeling that focus and elimination of noise will not only be peaceful, but powerful.

I am giving it a shot. Let’s see what happens. I already have that great feeling you get when you clean out the garage and get it just the way you want it.

rory182

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Dec 26, 2022

I have become intrigued by the concept of digital minimalism. I am not, in any way, what someone would currently call a minimalist.

The point about adopting something that improves my life even just a tiny bit, simply because I can afford it, and why not, struck me hard. I am the guy that always buys the best phone available “because business.” I have a 13 Pro Max… Just the name of it makes you think it‘s going to give you digital diabetes.

Do I weigh the costs of those decisions as much as I should? Could I be more deliberate in my work and leisure? Could I engage in things that support my values to a higher degree? Could I achieve more with more personal peace? How bad is the noise?

I need to find out.

I am going to order a flip phone right after I post this and give it a go. If I want to check email, or browse the web, I am going to have to deliberately grab the iPad or sit at my computer.

I am not getting rid of the iPhone, but it can just live on my desk for things like Microsoft teams.

I also got the Hal Newport book, on Kindle, even though it is tech, it might as well be a physical printed book. There’s zero temptation to scroll uselessness.

I have a feeling that focus and elimination of noise will not only be peaceful, but powerful.

I am giving it a shot. Let’s see what happens. I already have that great feeling you get when you clean out the garage and get it just the way you want it.

I enjoyed reading digital minimalism a lot. I instantly changed my habits and deleted a bunch of apps and forgot they even existed which was weird.

I didn't need them and could assess what was actually advantageous to my life, definitely appreciate less noise now.

A similar/interesting idea, 'cocaine' phone and 'kale' phone.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

I need to find out.

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago. I've been using "Freedom" on my computer and it's been awesome. Productivity is way up from it. I blocked a bunch of time wasting websites from my phone.

The book has a bit of fluff and repetition, but overall has some great ideas to take away.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In pursuit of the digital minimalism, I went ahead and ordered this:

Looks good. I’m ready be a lot more deliberate with my smart stuff.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just looked up my daily screen time. This is alarming. Almost 6 hours daily average.

It’s worse when you consider 16 waking hours a day.

That’s 38% of my day with my head in my phone.

If I live 50 more years, and this nonsense continues, that is 19 years looking at a F*cking phone screen.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
In pursuit of the digital minimalism, I went ahead and ordered this:

Looks good. I’m ready be a lot more deliberate with my smart stuff.
Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea Cat made cell phones. The S62 Pro is badass, it has thermal imaging! I think I just found my new work phone.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Digital nomad is about to come to an end because all those places are becoming super expensive to live in, and sure they could find new spots, but people forget, they are cheap for a reason, they are actually not developed countries, you want to drink the tap water? Need a hospital? Wanna walk on a footpath that’s flat and straight? Clean toilets? Don’t wanna get sick all the time? Want people to follow road rules? Want to live somewhere safe? Too bad.

I’m so glad I didn’t go that route, I would have if my gf accepted it but she was smarter than me and didn’t.

The only way truly is just to get rich in a first world country with a business that separates your time from money.

Gone are the days of living in a nice place in Bali for $1000 a month. It basically costs the same to live there now as any other country.

These shortcuts don’t last.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
I like traveling and having to use a second language, even thinking in it and struggling a bit to communicate.

But, it's jarring when you are in a foreign country far from the US and suddenly you get hit with a blast of pop music top 40 junk. Have we not heard enough of it at home?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.