The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
What are you using to read them?
Chrome, or anything else that can view a PDF. I think the Mobi versions can be imported to Kindles. The Epub versions are in an open-source format. I just use the PDF versions. I don't use a dedicated "Ebook Viewer" application, though they can make searching through the eBooks easier.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Chrome, or anything else that can view a PDF. I think the Mobi versions can be imported to Kindles. The Epub versions are in an open-source format. I just use the PDF versions. I don't use a dedicated "Ebook Viewer" application, though they can make searching through the eBooks easier.

I real a lot on my reMarkable. I was just talking about this with @Kak as he was looking into the new Kindle Scribe as an alternative to buy.

EPUB is great. We have a KOBO where I first started using this format. Now I’m on reMarkable.

Bottom line… holy shit how much tech I buy just for play (not work). I have a problem.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I real a lot on my reMarkable. I was just talking about this with @Kak as he was looking into the new Kindle Scribe as an alternative to buy.

EPUB is great. We have a KOBO where I first started using this format. Now I’m on reMarkable.

Bottom line… holy shit how much tech I buy just for play (not work). I have a problem.

I use to buy a lot of Kindle Books, and download them to my computers. When I would switch computers, I would forget to "De-Authorize" the Kindle App, and after 5 downloads, it would tell me I had to buy the books again. This infuriated me, so I started finding DRM-free copies of any books I wanted, and purchased them elsewhere. Sometimes I live off-grid, so I like to have "local" copies of my ebooks.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I tried to care about the DRM thing. I just found that I’m married to Kindle.

Whatever. They made the best product (the kindle itself and the apps) and offer the best selection of books.

I’m not going to scour the internet for DRM free epubs every time I want a book. I just buy kindle books indiscriminately. If I want it I buy it. Books are an incredible value for the money spent. Even if a book sucks, I don’t mourn the loss of my ten bucks.

If I really like a book, I’ll buy the hardcover for my bookshelves too.

Sometimes I just have to admit giant “evil” corporations do stuff better. If I took some kind of stand it would needlessly make my reading experience worse. Amazon’s kindle. Apple phones. Starbucks coffee. Google search. Whatever.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Whatever. They made the best product (the kindle itself and the apps) and offer the best selection of books.

I’m not going to scour the internet for DRM free epubs every time I want a book. I just buy kindle books indiscriminately. If I want it I buy it. Books are an incredible value for the money spent. Even if a book sucks, I don’t mourn the loss of my ten bucks.

If I really like a book, I’ll buy the hardcover for my bookshelves too.

Sometimes I just have to admit giant “evil” corporations do stuff better. If I took some kind of stand it would needlessly make my reading experience worse. Amazon’s kindle. Apple phones. Starbucks coffee. Google search. Whatever.

100% agree with that. I’ve been same way with books and technology too. Anything that helps me gain further momentum, growth personally or business… for a few bucks, I don’t care even if I waste money.

The kicker is that I’m usually busy. I hate wasting time, so I keep trying different things and finding what works better. Kindle is the best for reading books on a tiny screen. Suddenly I found some books I prefer on a bigger screen (like an iPad - the biggest one!). But then my eyes get tired from the light. So I prefer a bigger “kindle” like device hardware. Then I realize that if I’m doing that, might as well use it for taking notes (handwriting), so I end up with a reMarkable. Now I can’t read my kindle books on it, as it’s Kindle that won’t let them integrate. So I’m thrilled it’s just as easy to buy EPUb as MOBi formats.

Sometime I end up with 3 copies of same damn book! Kindle, audio and hard copy. And I don’t mind the “waste” as it’s a nothing cost compared to value I get out of it.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
my music stopped suddenly
They just want to make sure that in case you were suicidal… you had a moment to pause and takes notes on how to do it. ;)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What are you using to read them?

FYI - Calibre is a fantastic and powerful (and free, and open source) computer program for managing (and reading, I suppose) ebooks.

It can convert just about any ebook format into any other ebook format as well, which is what I use it for. Turn a pdf or epub file into a .mobi kindle file, for example.

Site: calibre - E-book management

Also, I won't directly link it, but if ever you want to find ebooks for free, google "Library Genesis", it's such a convenient no-nonsense way to source ebooks. I don't advocate stealing (and I buy lots of books regularly), but rather I use this like a library pass to do research and such. For example I downloaded a bunch of high priced culinary books because I specifically interested in one very specific technical aspect of something that google was significantly failing me on, and being able to quickly cross-reference 5 or 6 books with a search feature and compare them was invaluable and a lot more practical than spending $70 each or whatever on each book. If I was actually interested in being a culinary student - I'd have purchased them, but since I as only interested in like 10 lines of text, this made more sense.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Screw off Windows, I don't want you to just force stuff on me. All these updates break software all the time. Forced updates also install all kinds of software and change permissions without asking as well.

Updates have brought ads to my windows search bar. Ads and "news" to some bar beside my clock. Updating colors and "the message" logos on the bottom of my page as well, thanks for that Windows, I'll be sure to align my thinking with yours.

I guess windows decided I need 11. At least they buried a thing in the bottom of the page that allowed me to decline it for now. I miss the days when buying something meant that you owned now. Now everything is a rental and subscription based.
PXL_20230112_142333951~2.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Screw off Windows, I don't want you to just force stuff on me. All these updates break software all the time. Forced updates also install all kinds of software and change permissions without asking as well.

Updates have brought ads to my windows search bar. Ads and "news" to some bar beside my clock. Updating colors and "the message" logos on the bottom of my page as well, thanks for that Windows, I'll be sure to align my thinking with yours.

I guess windows decided I need 11. At least they buried a thing in the bottom of the page that allowed me to decline it for now. I miss the days when buying something meant that you owned now. Now everything is a rental and subscription based.
View attachment 46739
I like windows 11 for what it’s worth. It seems less bloated and better organized. I find it leaner and faster which is all I care about.

You can turn those suggested ad things off.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Screw off Windows, I don't want you to just force stuff on me.

Tell me about it - I've uninstalled One Drive like 20 times and every windows updates it comes right back without my permission (although it's been a while - maybe they changed that finally?).

Like @Kak said, you can turn a lot of the crap off and uninstall most of it (first thing I do on a new install) but some stuff is very persistent and annoying. Probably the kind of stuff average users don't notice but is a real thorn in the side of power users.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I like windows 11 for what it’s worth. It seems less bloated and better organized. I find it leaner and faster which is all I care about.

You can turn those suggested ad things off.
Get off my lawn.

I never asked them to install any of that crap, so stop putting it on my system.

Windows 11 is frightening. MS really took a hold of the back end of the system on it, and they can pretty much control your entire PC. I can't remember it all, but if they don't want something on your PC, like a dual boot with Linux, they can deny it.

I don't like stuff like that. The less control someone else has the better. I enjoy that whole "trustless" idea. Sure, they could be great stewards of my data and giving them ultimate control would be fine, but why would I even want to have to trust them with that? I should not even be an option.

I can't stand windows. But for me it has been the least-worst option thus far. Maybe someday that will change? Who knows. Maybe AI will allow for dozens of custom OS's to be a thing in the near future, and if you have software that needs to communicate with your custom OS you just tell the AI to figure it out for you and make it work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would appreciate if anyone with an IG account can REPORT this scam user who is scamming people in my name.

As usual, the assholes at IG/FB refuse to do anything but allow this individual to grift, scam, and steal.

Robin 133

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 16, 2022
Is anyone on here running "The new rich" channel on YouTube? Great channel, many similar ideas to Millionaire fastlane written with hyper copywriting and stock footage. He's got a good way of sharing the message, could maybe give a nod to @MJ DeMarco though.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
FYI - Calibre is a fantastic and powerful (and free, and open source) computer program for managing (and reading, I suppose) ebooks.

It can convert just about any ebook format into any other ebook format as well, which is what I use it for. Turn a pdf or epub file into a .mobi kindle file, for example.

Site: calibre - E-book management

Also, I won't directly link it, but if ever you want to find ebooks for free, google "Library Genesis", it's such a convenient no-nonsense way to source ebooks. I don't advocate stealing (and I buy lots of books regularly), but rather I use this like a library pass to do research and such. For example I downloaded a bunch of high priced culinary books because I specifically interested in one very specific technical aspect of something that google was significantly failing me on, and being able to quickly cross-reference 5 or 6 books with a search feature and compare them was invaluable and a lot more practical than spending $70 each or whatever on each book. If I was actually interested in being a culinary student - I'd have purchased them, but since I as only interested in like 10 lines of text, this made more sense.
I agree about the Calibre recommendation. The UI looks dated but it's feature rich. Someone on Reddit was talking about updating the UI, but I don't think it ever materialized. Note: Opportunity here. I installed Calibre on my home NAS server using Docker and can access my library from anywhere. Pair it with a more format agnostic Kobo and KOReader and voila! Full access to your library from wherever you have internet.

I did a similar thing for audiobooks with Audiobookshelf using another Docker container on my NAS. It's a nice set up. The Audiobookshelf app isn't yet available on the Apple App store so you have to install using TestFlight. It's been solid for my on both Android and iOS so far.

@Antifragile and @Kak : reMarkable 2 probably has the best 'feel' and responsiveness of any e-ink devices I've tried. I use mine a fair bit. Current software has been an improvement over the buggy last version, but it still has some flaws overall. It has a finnicky USB-C charge port, it lacks a backlight and could use some much needed integration with 3rd party services and network storage locations. There seem to be more of these coming out daily. Amazon, Kobo, Boox, Pocketbook, Hipoink, Lenovo, etc. I was tempted by the Kobo Eclipsa when it came out but reviews aren't great. reMarkable 3 coming maybe later this year(?).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I want to buy a Rivian just so I don’t have to hear about Maria Menounos ever again.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Get off my lawn.

I never asked them to install any of that crap, so stop putting it on my system.

Windows 11 is frightening. MS really took a hold of the back end of the system on it, and they can pretty much control your entire PC. I can't remember it all, but if they don't want something on your PC, like a dual boot with Linux, they can deny it.

I don't like stuff like that. The less control someone else has the better. I enjoy that whole "trustless" idea. Sure, they could be great stewards of my data and giving them ultimate control would be fine, but why would I even want to have to trust them with that? I should not even be an option.

I can't stand windows. But for me it has been the least-worst option thus far. Maybe someday that will change? Who knows. Maybe AI will allow for dozens of custom OS's to be a thing in the near future, and if you have software that needs to communicate with your custom OS you just tell the AI to figure it out for you and make it work.
Try Linux Fedora. It’s the closet thing to a Linux distro that worked for me. I had it for over a month on my tablet PC.

I ended up putting 11 on it for a few reasons unrelated to the performance of Fedora. Just had some compatibility issues with a few things I needed it to do. It was a few small things away from being way better than Windows.

Again though, I just go back to the “evil” corporate solution because, all things considered, it’s better for me.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Lovely, an Elizabeth Holmes disciple.

Is anyone on here running "The new rich" channel on YouTube? Great channel, many similar ideas to Millionaire fastlane written with hyper copywriting and stock footage. He's got a good way of sharing the message, could maybe give a nod to @MJ DeMarco though.

You mean there's another clown stealing my material and calling it his own?

Gee, not surprising. It's been happening since 2010.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Lovely, an Elizabeth Holmes disciple.

No fraud is ever complete without the deviously evil smile in Forbes to complement the scam. She should have played a part in the horror flick SMILE.

1673548983649.png

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I agree about the Calibre recommendation. The UI looks dated but it's feature rich. Someone on Reddit was talking about updating the UI, but I don't think it ever materialized. Note: Opportunity here. I installed Calibre on my home NAS server using Docker and can access my library from anywhere. Pair it with a more format agnostic Kobo and KOReader and voila! Full access to your library from wherever you have internet.

I did a similar thing for audiobooks with Audiobookshelf using another Docker container on my NAS. It's a nice set up. The Audiobookshelf app isn't yet available on the Apple App store so you have to install using TestFlight. It's been solid for my on both Android and iOS so far.

@Antifragile and @Kak : reMarkable 2 probably has the best 'feel' and responsiveness of any e-ink devices I've tried. I use mine a fair bit. Current software has been an improvement over the buggy last version, but it still has some flaws overall. It has a finnicky USB-C charge port, it lacks a backlight and could use some much needed integration with 3rd party services and network storage locations. There seem to be more of these coming out daily. Amazon, Kobo, Boox, Pocketbook, Hipoink, Lenovo, etc. I was tempted by the Kobo Eclipsa when it came out but reviews aren't great. reMarkable 3 coming maybe later this year(?).
Yeah I’ve played with it before. It is a powerful tool.

It’s just so easy to just read the damn DRM book on the kindle app instead of stripping DRM and using small time ereader apps. I can have to Alexa app read it to me in the car, and I can pick up where I left off later on my tablet.

I buy books to put the knowledge in my head. It’s stripped of DRM there anyway.

What I think Remarkable should do is install a super lean version of Android and allow downloading of any corporate and FOSS apps you want. I’d buy that immediately.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
It’s just so easy to just read the damn DRM book on the kindle app instead of stripping DRM and using small time ereader apps.

To me, DRM means "they" can steal it back from me whenever they want. So, I try to keep non-DRM versions of things that I want to make sure I have access to forever. In the case of books, I'm happy to buy kindle/audible books, but for books I want to be sure I have access to, I buy a paper copy.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

That sounds really slick.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Yeah I’ve played with it before. It is a powerful tool.

It’s just so easy to just read the damn DRM book on the kindle app instead of stripping DRM and using small time ereader apps. I can have to Alexa app read it to me in the car, and I can pick up where I left off later on my tablet.

What I think Remarkable should do is install a super lean version of Android and allow downloading of any corporate and FOSS apps you want. I’d buy that immediately.
Yeah that's why I'm on Kobo Plus (eBooks and Audiobooks).

Check out the Onyx Boox lineup. They run an Android OS. I'm sure not all apps will work given the limited refresh rates of e-ink, but it's a start.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yeah that's why I'm on Kobo Plus (eBooks and Audiobooks).

Check out the Onyx Boox lineup. They run an Android OS. I'm sure not all apps will work given the limited refresh rates of e-ink, but it's a start.
Just checked them out! This desktop monitor caught my attention. This could be super nice for a chill home office.

FA62629C-BB59-4859-B468-D11B3689BBF2.jpeg

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
To me, DRM means "they" can steal it back from me whenever they want. So, I try to keep non-DRM versions of things that I want to make sure I have access to forever. In the case of books, I'm happy to buy kindle/audible books, but for books I want to be sure I have access to, I buy a paper copy.
I buy 95% of my books on kindle first, and if it is a book that I want to put in my "forever" pile and read over and over I will buy the physical version of it. I will also generally get the audio book version as well. I guess I am a good customer when it comes to books, I will very easily purchase 3 versions of the same book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.