The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I've seen a number of therapists over the years and just one licensed psychologist. The only one I'm still seeing is the psychologist. Maybe I just got one awesome psychologist, but the difference between his services and those of every not psychologist is night and day. It's the difference between someone who knows how to not accidentally talk you into killing yourself when you feel like killing yourself...and someone who doesn't.
I would love to hear your perspective on this since this is more your area of expertise.

It seems like the fad in some circles nowadays to use a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist regularly throughout their life, in such a way that it seems like they are just a stand-in for a role that a friend or SO would typically take.

I was under the impression that unless someone has an debilitating ongoing illness (e.x. BPD), a successful mental health professional is meant to give them the tools to cope and/or navigate through their issues, then send them on their way. They aren't there to be their friend or help guide them through the rest of their lives. So if someone has an ongoing long term relationship with one, it's either a failure of the professional to reach the client or the client is misusing the purpose of the services. 6 months of sessions sounds reasonable. 6 years sounds like either they are looking for job security or the client is looking for a crutch to handhold them through life (instead of growing).

Comments?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Children's Tylenol has been out for a few weeks now. There are local FB groups where I live where people post photos of when they see some in stock. My sister saw 80+ bottles last Friday at 4pm at a Target near me. I went at 530 and they had 8 bottles left! Much like the baby formula shortage earlier in the year, items for children that are unavailable for me personally hits different than other items. Definitely a need there.

Same here in Canada. We scramble to get kid meds. Crazy.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Will it ever? What are you waiting for, other than the latest "office drone" click-bait trendy movement?

I hope it does! Most people need to fail 10 times to get one homerun, for me, that number is probably ever increasing (I'm not waiting btw). That homerun may come or it may not, who knows?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If American gov is “of the people by the people and for the people” tell me, when TF a did “the people” decide buying a sticker for our cars every year was a good idea?

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
There are some weird shortages at my local grocery store (Publix. IYKYK, southeast US friends.)

Deli turkey. Half and half, but not other types of milk. Eggs, yes.

Children's tylenol.

Someone out there is doing a really bad job.
Adhd medication has a real shortage too. And kids prescription medications such as liquid antibiotics. It’s wild, and scary.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Is there really a shortage on eggs in the US?

I thought all the supply chain stuff had worked itself out by now.

How bad are things these days?
I buy a lot of eggs. In 2020, I used to buy a box of 15 dozen eggs at a time from Costco for around $18. This worked out to around $1.20 a dozen.

At some point last year, eggs started getting WAAAAAY more expensive.

Costco stopped carrying the 15-dozen box.

They would have a 2-dozen carton and there was usually a sign that said, "Limit 2," and the pallets were always basically empty.

Occasionally there would be a 5-dozen box available.

This last time I went to Costco, there was actually a 7.5-dozen box available, which was the biggest quantity I had seen available for purchase for a while.

But the price has gone up to anywhere from $3.50 to $4.50 a dozen.

It's VERY noticeable.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

I thought all the supply chain stuff had worked itself out by now.

How bad are things these days?

I buy a lot of eggs. In 2020, I used to buy a box of 15 dozen eggs at a time from Costco for around $18. This worked out to around $1.20 a dozen.

They would have a 2-dozen carton and there was usually a sign that said, "Limit 2," and the pallets were always basically empty.

This last time I went to Costco, there was actually a 7.5-dozen box available, which was the biggest quantity I had seen available for purchase for a while.

It's VERY noticeable.

The last time I was at a regular grocery store for eggs, I paid $9 (maybe two-ish months ago). I do buy organic, free range yadda yadda. Right next to it was a different one for $12. I normally don't pay too much attention to prices, but those two jumped out at me as memorable. That was a dozen, not 18.

I eat a lot of eggs, so luckily I joined Costco shortly thereafter...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I would love to hear your perspective on this since this is more your area of expertise.

It seems like the fad in some circles nowadays to use a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist regularly throughout their life, in such a way that it seems like they are just a stand-in for a role that a friend or SO would typically take.

I was under the impression that unless someone has an debilitating ongoing illness (e.x. BPD), a successful mental health professional is meant to give them the tools to cope and/or navigate through their issues, then send them on their way. They aren't there to be their friend or help guide them through the rest of their lives. So if someone has an ongoing long term relationship with one, it's either a failure of the professional to reach the client or the client is misusing the purpose of the services. 6 months of sessions sounds reasonable. 6 years sounds like either they are looking for job security or the client is looking for a crutch to handhold them through life (instead of growing).

Comments?

Generally, I agree that people are reliant on therapists for the wrong reasons. My therapist told me most people who come to his office don't want to solve problems. They want to blame others and play victim. They don't want to do the work involved to solve issues.

However, there is no rule that says a therapist must (or should) be temporary. A therapist's role should be based on the individual needs and desires of each client. That's why one of the first things a good therapist asks is, "What do you specifically want to work on?"

In my therapy relationship, I'm not there to cure myself or heal. I asked if the therapist would provide ongoing sessions for an extended period even without a specific goal in mind because I wanted to use therapy as a sounding board for my thoughts and to work through a variety of challenges in business and life.

For instance, in our sessions, we explore things like idea-hopping (my therapist is a successful business owner) and we create solutions such as journaling or documenting mood and energy over a period of weeks to better understand the cycles, figure out what's beneath them, and ultimately, find ways to work with those cycles or around them.

We explore thoughts and emotions and the therapist provides an alternative perspective that sometimes alters or enhances my own perspective.

We explore relationships. For instance, I've been divorced for almost two years and wanted to start dating again, but feared that I was out of touch and would be single for the rest of my life. We navigated this and I found the courage to go forward and face that fear. Within a couple of weeks, I started dating again and found out how wrong I was about nobody wanting to date me. Would I eventually have started dating without therapy? Yes. That's just who I am, but I believe therapy helped me get there a lot faster.

The therapist IS looking for job security.

They are not your friend. That does not mean they are not a valuable tool/resource, but you really need to work with a truly qualified professional, and you need to be real about what you want from the relationship.

Most people aren't going anywhere anyway, so what does it matter if they use therapy as a crutch? Therapists are healers, and most of that healing comes from helping others find comfort within themselves. Some people find comfort in being a victim and unless they actually want to change, then the therapist's role isn't to change them.

Something I've thought about a lot recently is the value of therapy as a mitigation tool. People seek therapy when they're in a bad place. What if they worked with a therapist from a time when they were in a good place, and avoided bad places? Wouldn't they be more productive toward their goals and aspirations?

Couples often seek therapy when their relationship is falling apart. What if they leveraged therapy as a tool for growth from the beginning when everything was great? What if they worked together to navigate around the pitfalls and traps that destroy relationships?

That's how I think about it.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Something I've thought about a lot recently is the value of therapy as a mitigation tool. People seek therapy when they're in a bad place. What if they worked with a therapist from a time when they were in a good place, and avoided bad places? Wouldn't they be more productive toward their goals and aspirations?
Lex,
Isn't this just the distinction between therapy and life coaching?
You use a therapist to heal and life coach to grow?
It's worth nothing that life coaching is a minefield and that many of them are rubbish and give no results, but there are good coaches out there that are worth the money.

It's the same distinction as a hospital and a health club. The hospital is to heal you and the health club is to help you get healthier. Just one is physical and one mental.

Am I missing something?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Lex,
Isn't this just the distinction between therapy and life coaching?
You use a therapist to heal and life coach to grow?
It's worth nothing that life coaching is a minefield and that many of them are rubbish and give no results, but there are good coaches out there that are worth the money.

It's the same distinction as a hospital and a health club. The hospital is to heal you and the health club is to help you get healthier. Just one is physical and one mental.

Am I missing something?
Well, my perspective could be biased since my therapist also offers executive coaching services. But I've used therapy to help heal in the past, and now I work with the therapist as a resource to help move toward my goals and outcomes.

Ultimately, I want results. If I click my heels together and gold falls from the sky, I keep clicking my heels together. If I find good results by working with a therapist, then I continue that relationship too.

If working with a life coach gets someone good results, then do that. Either way, the cost is roughly the same usually.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
It's also worth mentioning that I don't know everything. I don't know a lot of things. Most of the time I'm full of shit and need a reality check so take everything I say with a grain of salt :clench:
Lots of people are in this same situation. It's really quite common. I think that Socrates started it and is to blame...

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
They missed the top of the market.

View attachment 46685
What’s up with houses in USA not having enough windows? That things hideous
Haha, if you ask me, I don’t think you’d resonate so much with the Eastern approach to things. And I know where you’re coming from…

A lot of people can look to spirituality as a way to avoid facing their reality.

So they sit and meditate while their kids are starving, instead of working to form a plan and make the cash register ring!

At the same time, there is something to say about balance and finding satisfaction. If you always chase after the next thing and the next thing it’s hard to truly enjoy where you’re at.
I interpreted his way slightly differently, he didn’t come across like that at all.

My interpretation of his book was that he went through life trying things and enjoying things and opportunities presented themselves to him and he said yes to them all.

He was serving a higher power and saying yes to what it presented to him. He was still and unattached to the outcome, he was able to observe what opportunities were coming to him with awareness so he was able to identify them and say yes to them.

You could actually probably compare the approach to a very western approach of looking for opportunities and work and taking them. This guy did what was needed of him and what presented itself. He just had a far more calm, unattached and accepting approach to it.

He didn’t get annoyed at things that seemed bad, or try to change things he couldn’t, he just went with the flow and made the most of it.

You can meditate to escape, procrastinate or do nothing with yourself, but you can also do it to increase awareness so you can see opportunities better and take them.

It’s been a while since I read the book though.

Reading @Rabby progress thread I get the impression they have a very similar approach to each other.

If you like Rab’s posts, I think you’ll like the untethered soul

Last edited:

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK

Here in the UK we've (well, the birds) had an Avian flu outbreak, so that's led to some difficulties as hens have to be kept indoors. I haven't researched the issue, which is probably why I don't understand why limiting movement causes a supply difficulty for cheap eggs. I saw a notice that said free range hens will have been kept inside and so they're not properly free range, but the hens that produce cheap eggs are inside anyway. But there are plenty of free range eggs on the shelves, and few cheap ones.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Lots of people are in this same situation. It's really quite common. I think that Socrates started it and is to blame...
Hold on. People knew everything before Socrates?

He's a lot to answer for...

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

It's VERY noticeable.
I can't even imagine! Eggs where I am in Canada are nasty, and I eat a ton of eggs. The only eggs I can eat are some local Hutterite eggs, and at the store that carries them they are.... $9.80 Canadian per 18 eggs!!! The price goes up every month and that's the last price I paid. I get about 12 of these cartons a month, which is equal to $118/month in EGGS! That seems insane to me, but I am not about to switch to the nasty regular store ones that I can barely even choke down.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
If American gov is “of the people by the people and for the people” tell me, when TF a did “the people” decide buying a sticker for our cars every year was a good idea?
I just did mine, and they don't even give a sticker anymore. Price also went up. Thanks guys.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
What’s up with houses in USA not having enough windows? That things hideous
It's in Alaska, I think they prefer better insulated walls to windows. Windows let out too much heat.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I interpreted his way slightly differently, he didn’t come across like that at all.

My interpretation of his book was that he went through life trying things and enjoying things and opportunities presented themselves to him and he said yes to them all.

He was serving a higher power and saying yes to what it presented to him. He was still and unattached to the outcome, he was able to observe what opportunities were coming to him with awareness so he was able to identify them and say yes to them.
Huh? When did I say he came across like that?

I was talking about people who are into spirituality generally, not Michael Singer. Most people who are into spirituality, use it as a shield from reality. This is based on my observation and long-term interest in spirituality and spiritual-minded communities.

I didn't get the impression that Singer used spirituality as a way to avoid reality from reading two of his books.

You could actually probably compare the approach to a very western approach of looking for opportunities and work and taking them. This guy did what was needed of him and what presented itself. He just had a far more calm, unattached and accepting approach to it.

He didn’t get annoyed at things that seemed bad, or try to change things he couldn’t, he just went with the flow and made the most of it.

You can meditate to escape, procrastinate or do nothing with yourself, but you can also do it to increase awareness so you can see opportunities better and take them.
The Eastern way is to be still and unattached to the outcome while serving a higher power.

The Western way is to care absolutely about the outcome and do whatever it takes to obtain it.

In any competitive endeavor, I'd bet on the guy following the Western path. If he fails, he will be depressed. And let that depression anger him, so that he puts even more effort next time. The Western way is not about being happy - it's about using and doing whatever it takes to succeed. Sort of like Goggins pushing himself to the limit of death to achieve something. Goggins is sort of the ultimate competitor - you can beat him but only if you're willing to die.

So if strictly winning is the criteria, I don't think there's a competition between the two. The Western path wins every time. If living a fulfilled life is the criteria, then probably the Eastern way wins.

Look at the highest achievers in history... 90% were miserable, unhappy people. Happiness isn't very productive.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

After quiet quitting and quiet firing, now there's rage-applying. It's time to try this. The last time I got a measly pay raise and bonus was back in Dec 2021....the life of an office drone begging for his next paycheck.....
Nothing happened purely by accident.

It requires a lot of experience and planning before a jump happens. Accumulation of extra certificates and waiting for a chance to come.

That is the employee-corporate-hr game that you should learn only if you are interested to play.

If you see job as cashflow necessity or future business training ground then it shouldn’t matter much that you aren’t getting a “raise” that wont materially change your life.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
So...

Who's interested in an email marketing mega thread where I'm COMPLETELY transparent about my systems, methods, and copy that has made millions of $ in additional revenue for my clients (with results & data provided)?

If you have an online business or an online sales channel for your physical business and don't have at least 20-25% of your total revenue attributed to email, you're probably doing it wrong.

As an example of what's possible, I've scaled my latest client's email marketing results from 8% of their total revenue to 41% — and that's a 7-figure brand that spends a LOT of money on paid ads and has a decent agency running said ads.

And hey, I'll even do it without wasting your time with covert funnels and sounding like a narcissistic douchebag (I've noticed that's the norm with some of the "big" names in the space I've come across.)

So yeah, let me know.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Although these kinds of books aren't the easiest to read, they can have a profound impact.

I think they are not easy to read and understand because:

1. They have a lot of logical contradictions and inconsistencies(You go, "OK, this guy is not a logician but I'll forgive him and try to work out what he's trying to communicate".

2. What the author is trying to communicate happens beyond discursive thinking and language.

3. Spiritual journeys are lifelong and difficult and have a deeper meaning or purpose as the impetus.

Personally my interest in this area came from my childhood with paranormal experiences(stigmatic) as well as my interests in philosophy and my personal difficulties.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Hmm, I like being a narcissistic douchebag :innocent: :halo: (just kidding)

What sort of email marketing do you do?

Email marketing for ecom is quite different than email marketing for a consulting business like mine.

Yeah, I agree about it being different. I mostly do ecom email marketing and have also had a few clients in the consulting space. While the objectives are different, the approach is similar for both when it comes to automated sequences and campaigns, etc.

The quoted stats in my OP are for ecom. Your post reminded me that I need to catch up with one of my clients in consulting. I know they're getting a lot of value out of the sequences and occasional email blasts, but we haven't talked about getting me access to the raw data yet.

I'd like to grab coffee with you sometime if you're up for it.

Lol, I'm sure it definitely won't be awkward after THAT one interaction we had...

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Yeah, I agree about it being different. I mostly do ecom email marketing and have also had a few clients in the consulting space. While the objectives are different, the approach is similar for both when it comes to automated sequences and campaigns, etc.

The quoted stats in my OP are for ecom. Your post reminded me that I need to catch up with one of my clients in consulting. I know they're getting a lot of value out of the sequences and occasional email blasts, but we haven't talked about getting me access to the raw data yet.

Lol, I'm sure it definitely won't be awkward after THAT one interaction we had...

I'd be interested in reading about email for ecom...

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
WARNING:

Double check math on chatgpt. it screwed up a lot for me and i just realized

View attachment 46663

Now I'm wondering if you had said, "No, isn't it 113, 385?" would it have caught that, or would it have acknowledged, "Oh, sorry, you're right, the total is $113,385"?

I'm also wondering if it would be any different if you phrased it as a normal equation (e.g. "What is the sum of 20000 + 18334 + 16668... etc")
This applies for fact's as well, was asking it about vehicle details and noticed an error. I did the same type of correction, and the chat gave the same response. Then gave it a false answer, and it takes the same response. I asked if it will update it's data with the correct answer and it wouldn't. Then I asked it the same fact another day and it gave a different answer completely, and it was still incorrect.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I began reading copywriting as someone advised me in a thread I started. Learning a lot. Lots of ideas open to me when I learn. I didn't even know anything about it before this week.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.