The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
My overprized iphione that people had trouble understanding me with from day one is going. I was going to purchase an iphone 14, but this is the final straw. The same for planned purchase of iMac - dont like the new colors anyway. It will be a hassle, but it can be done. Removing myself from the icloud . No sponsoring monopolies of this kind anymore. Hi there Samsung, goodbye apple, no junk from China any more.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My overprized iphione that people had trouble understanding me with from day one is going. I was going to purchase an iphone 14, but this is the final straw. The same for planned purchase of iMac - dont like the new colors anyway. It will be a hassle, but it can be done. Removing myself from the icloud . No sponsoring monopolies of this kind anymore. Hi there Samsung, goodbye apple, no junk from China any more.
I just ditched my Samsung for a Pixel phone. So far it is significantly nicer, and the call quality is absolute stellar.

Before you jump on that Samsung bandwagon I would give it at least a look over. It cost me about half the price of the top end Samsung as well as I got it on sale. Can't beat that!

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
G

Guest-5ty5s4

El Presidente (Dave Portnoy) money chasing, selling white label $42 watches for $2k+.

Getting ratioed in the replies

I wonder what impact this will have on his personal brand

View: https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1597228726340591616?s=20&t=7v2QY31ThnKDMN6faYokaQ
All those followers, all that influence, huge brand, media company, depth with sports and humor and connection with frat and college scene... but he resorts to commoditized watches? da fuq

Is he going broke?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
I find it very uncomfortable to spend money despite being able to afford things. I'm spending money (on things that improve my life, like traveling) in spite of this but it's all laced with this fear underneath that I'll go broke if I spend money.

I know it's illogical and has to do with my beliefs (and lack of confidence that I can make more money).

Anyone with a similar experience? Any tips or resources how to overcome it?

As a side note, spending money does motivate me to work more (out of fear) but I guess that's good in this case.

@Kak, is this something you perhaps talk about in your podcast?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
G

Guest-5ty5s4

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
I find it very uncomfortable to spend money despite being able to afford things. I'm spending money (on things that improve my life, like traveling) in spite of this but it's all laced with this fear underneath that I'll go broke if I spend money.

I know it's illogical and has to do with my beliefs (and lack of confidence that I can make more money).

As a side note, spending money does motivate me to work more (out of fear) but I guess that's good in this case.

Sometimes I get the same feeling.

Maybe you could come up with a percentage of discretionary income that you are comfortable spending each month, and you can spend that amount guilt-free?

So if you earn X per month and spend Y per month on essentials (rent, food, etc.), then you have X - Y left (discretionary). So you can spend 10% of X - Y guilt-free (or 20%, or whatever % you choose) and save/invest the rest.

Then your analytical/logical mind knows that you have a "system" in place (based on numbers), while your emotional mind feels like you are saving enough, regardless of a bit of fun spending.

If you want something more expensive, just save up a few months' worth of "fun money" until you have enough for the big purchase. Then you can buy more expensive fun stuff, but you still feel responsible.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Although I don’t necessarily view this as a problem… I kind of feel the same way. I like my ability to exist the way I do, and I would like nothing to jeopardize that.

I am going to say the difference is income. When you have a lump sum, and you’re young, you are going to need that money for a long time. You have amplified the kind of fears that a traditionally retired person has by how young you are.

The irony I see is that people who are ultra tight with money tend to miss opportunities that make them more flush as time goes on. This is mostly real estate.

I bought a nice, but easily affordable home. By American standards of showboatery and stretching oneself it was and remains well beneath my resource level. Now that it has more than doubled in value since 2016, I wish I would have stretched more. Is it some major regret? No, but certainly a lesson.

This reminds me of the whole great gatsby new money vs old money thing.

When you made your money in the past, and you are now using it, you have more of an old money kind of lifestyle that builds up. Nothing to jeopardize the future. They keep it lean, and are conservative investors. They buy stuff that lasts only when they need it, not when they want it.

With more of a new money mentality, as in the money keeps coming in and accumulating, people get a more confident “new money” lifestyle. They believe that money will replenish. They give in to some or all of their wants.

I’m stuck in the middle. I have both. I don’t want to screw up what I’ve built, but I also have businesses that are growing. I understand that the music could stop even if it’s unlikely. I’d like my personal music to continue irrespective.

The point is, some frugality is healthy, but your level of minimalism and still having worry about being broke is something I can’t relate to. My definition of a broke lifestyle puts me at a level of minimalism you seem totally fine with.

I don’t think you have much to worry about it, but I’d still try to make some money. You have almost all the time in the world to find a fun way to do that.

Last edited:

loop101

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Demonstrates why the average citizen can never succeed as an entrepreneur or a problem solver. Demonstrates why most people just can't think logically any longer and are only mindful to whatever confronts them, first-order thinking. (Wait until the end for it all to fall in place)

View: https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1597674372114055168
The person trying to help her, was the person making it hard for her.

Last edited:

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Go into B2B services, they said...

They're super high caliber people and totally not insane they said!

(I'm in M&A + CFO Services). Email Below...

------

View attachment 46120

-------

I am now "Funny Money Mike" in my household :rofl:
I've lost track of how many times I've been told to kill myself on sales calls.

I consider it a badge of honor :rofl:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018
I've lost track of how many times I've been told to kill myself on sales calls.

I consider it a badge of honor :rofl:

Sounds a little harsh!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018
It takes ten minutes to walk to my local pub and half an hour to walk home, the difference is staggering.
A blind man walked into a bar… and a table… and a chair…

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
hey people in your 20s

it's easy as F*ck to prey on your insecurities and use them to pry your hard-earned cash from your wallets

stop listening to these scumbags who promise to teach you not to hate yourself for ten easy payments of $1997

just get in shape, find an attractive + loving partner, make $20K per month working while working less than 20 hours per week, make some fun + loyal friends, and make some stories that you'll be proud to tell to your grandkids

most of the stuff beyond that point is just personal preference

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Finr5enX0AAWBp-

Describes me to a T.

Same issue here although you're obviously at a far higher level of success than me with far greater wealth. While I can afford normal things in life, such as going to a cafe for a drink, or a restaurant for a meal, I don't.

I keep a Google sheet where I document every little spending I do per month. Transport, bills, meals, and tabulate the total on the last columnn (salary for that month - total expenses = balance left for that month).

Each time I see the balance left for that month slowly going down, I feel fear and doom. Honestly, even if I've 2 - 3 million dollar cash in my bank for use, I would still be afraid of spending money.

FastlanerDoer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 19, 2022
Indonesia

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
They really want you gagging so hard your eyes water when they shove that diversity down your throat don’t they.View attachment 46125

Not enough. They need to go further by making him a black Superman who's also a trans and identify as a non-binary, and his day job is an environmental activist. He's also adopted by Asian parents. Superman xe/xir.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Sometimes I get the same feeling.

Maybe you could come up with a percentage of discretionary income that you are comfortable spending each month, and you can spend that amount guilt-free?

So if you earn X per month and spend Y per month on essentials (rent, food, etc.), then you have X - Y left (discretionary). So you can spend 10% of X - Y guilt-free (or 20%, or whatever % you choose) and save/invest the rest.

Then your analytical/logical mind knows that you have a "system" in place (based on numbers), while your emotional mind feels like you are saving enough, regardless of a bit of fun spending.

If you want something more expensive, just save up a few months' worth of "fun money" until you have enough for the big purchase. Then you can buy more expensive fun stuff, but you still feel responsible.

Thank you, that makes sense. I need to start tracking my finances better so I can do that. It's all over the place now.

I am going to say the difference is income. When you have a lump sum, and you’re young, you are going to need that money for a long time. You have amplified the kind of fears that a traditionally retired person has by how young you are.

I have several income streams that have been consistent for several years. Despite that, there's still fear. I like to think that if I had, say, 10x of what I have now, I wouldn't have this fear but I know it's BS. I'd still worry.

The point is, some frugality is healthy, but your level of minimalism and still having worry about being broke is something I can’t relate to. My definition of a broke lifestyle puts me at a level of minimalism you seem totally fine with.

Hahaha that's true. I'm pretty sure that if you saw how I live you'd be appalled LOL.

Having said that, I do recognize that this may be a limiting belief as well. I live on a low level maybe because also of this fear (and maybe laziness?).

I don’t think you have much to worry about, but I’d still try to make some money. You have almost all the time in the world to find a fun way to do that.

Yes I'm doing that now. The goal is to build another semi-passive income stream that makes at least a few thousand dollars a month. Assuming that my other income streams stay the same (or ideally grow) this would allow me to spend this money guilt-free. And with my lifestyle, even an extra few thousand dollars a month is a lot to spend (particularly when I'm not traveling).

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How to know if you should quit after a business failure:

Event:
Failure occurs

Question: Am I dead?
Answer: No
Action: Try again

Question: Am I dead?
Answer: Yes
Action: Consider a pivot

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Haha The next time I’m in the neighborhood I’ll stop by for some lettuce and water.

Lettuce isn't nutritionally-dense, man. That's only for the rich folks. I eat rice and beans only, the bread and butter of a broke minimalist.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018
Haha The next time I’m in the neighborhood I’ll stop by for some lettuce and water.

One question to @MTF and one only:

Do you own more than one pair of socks?

:rofl:

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Online marketing powered by AI => Robot Wars with conversions.
Omneky - Personalized Design:Omneky 2022-11-30 11-58-45.png

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!