The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
But seriously, it may not come off well in posts vs tonality of an in person chat
That's my biggest problem with the internet.

The same conversation done in person (or even via audio) vs. plain text goes in two radically different directions with the absence of body language and tonality.

Also people feel safe behind a keyboard to say things that in person would get them punched in the mouth. It's a real degradation of human communication, even though we can send it instantly to anywhere on the planet.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

The same conversation done in person (or even via audio) vs. plain text goes in two radically different directions with the absence of body language and tonality.

Also people feel safe behind a keyboard to say things that in person would get them punched in the mouth. It's a real degradation of human communication, even though we can send it instantly to anywhere on the planet.

Yup, 100% this. And it's the responsibility of the person typing to do our best to relay the intended message. If the readers read it differently, that's not on them, it's on the writer. When I catch myself of sending a different message than I intend, I try to correct asap.

The "feeling safe behind a keyboard" applies to people who don't know each other and are anonymous. @Kak and @thechosen1 know me, so I can't hide :)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I wouldn't punch anyone in the mouth in person TBH, like ever. No reason for it. You're either fearing for your life, responding with self defense appropriate for that situation (which I would) - or not... I don't understand people who want to physically fight.

But that's what the second amendment is for - when the guy who is much bigger & stronger than you decides to use violence towards you, when a witty comeback would have been more appropriate.

@Antifragile no need to hide, I don't hate you at all. Sorry if it came off like that. Just debating these school things lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
But that's what the second amendment is for - when the guy who is much bigger & stronger than you decides to use violence towards you, when a witty comeback would have been more appropriate.
No, it’s really for tyranny. A de facto 4th branch of government. A veto power.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Entrepreneurs:

-"Homeschooling is best!"

"- Just pay for the best of the best private!"

Public schools:

Would you eat bug bolognese? Primary school children in Wales could be offered EDIBLE INSECTS including mealworms and crickets as scientists urge the next generation to embrace eco-friendly meat substitutes​

FUHUExOXsAQQtYp.jpeg

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Yes I am fired up. Because as someone who used to absolute love sport shooting as a fantastic hobby, it is being taken away from me for 100% BS reasons.

It is very difficult and expensive to maintain a firearms license and jump through the hoops required to even use "restricted" firearms for sport purposes. It's anywhere from $400+ per year just to fulfil the paperwork requirements to be able to use them just at approved ranges. In Canada (as a legal firearm owner) I would not even be able to shoot these on my own land, or any family members land, or use most of my rifles for varmint hunting or target practice. Only at an approved range. The costs for range approval are astronomical. As such, any simple range memberships in this country is insanely expensive as they need to recoup those costs somehow.

In the last 3ish years I personally have had 2 firearms become paper weights that must be double locked at all times. I have friends who have had $30,000+ worth of firearms become paperweights. And now they are going after pistols. And Airsoft....

It is frustrating that the government literally goes after legal owners and will not do a single thing to go after gun smuggling or organized crime which supplies illigal firearms.

They are also looking to reinstate a long gun registry. Yup, gotta keep track of those 22s and single shot hunting rifles that farmers have! Better add another gigantic hurdle, more paperwork, and more expenses. Expenses on the part of owners, and all Canadians who are then subjected to their taxes going to a 100% useless department. Oh, and not to mention a handy database of firearms for real criminals to locate and access, or for future political assholes to have for when they finally decide to make us all criminals or come and take them with their own guns.

So yea. I am a little pissed right now.

Airsoft is next, and I am not even making that up. I'm guessing paintball comes after, and then what? Water guns and Nerf???

Archery is scary too, better take those. And swords, and machetes, and kitchen knives over a certain length. Hell, let's take the baseball bats and golf clubs after.
Him and his puppet master are clearly planning something and is nervous about how the country will react so I’d be leaving.
Entrepreneurs:

-"Homeschooling is best!"

"- Just pay for the best of the best private!"

Public schools:

Would you eat bug bolognese? Primary school children in Wales could be offered EDIBLE INSECTS including mealworms and crickets as scientists urge the next generation to embrace eco-friendly meat substitutes​

View attachment 43751
In all seriousness I wonder how eating this diet will affect human development. It’s clearly not what we have been eating for millions of years.

We’ve seen all the diseases and obesity that eating GMO pesticide covered veges and bottles filled with fizzy sugar has done to people.

I wonder what diseases and development deficiencies eating bugs instead of meat will create.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Him and his puppet master are clearly planning something and is nervous about how the country will react so I’d be leaving.

In all seriousness I wonder how eating this diet will affect human development. It’s clearly not what we have been eating for millions of years.

We’ve seen all the diseases and obesity that eating GMO pesticide covered veges and bottles filled with fizzy sugar has done to people.

I wonder what diseases and development deficiencies eating bugs instead of meat will create.
I wonder where vegans and vegetarians stand on insects...

There will probably be a new name for a person who doesn’t eat meat, but does eat bugs, and another who doesn’t eat any animal products but does eat bugs?

Or do those exists already?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

There will probably be a new name for a person who doesn’t eat meat, but does eat bugs, and another who doesn’t eat any animal products but does eat bugs?

Or do those exists already?

@MJ DeMarco and @MTF y’all planning on trying some bugs?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

How is eating bugs vegan?

The "eating insects" narrative is always used as anti-vegan propaganda since it has a climate change component.

There is absolutely NO LIVING CREATURE that I want to kill because it looks appetizing, from pigs to crickets to sea spiders (crabs). There is no click-bait story, no government initiative, and no anti-vegan YouTube video (this guy was vegan and lost muscle! wooooooooo!!!!) that will change that.

We’ve seen all the diseases and obesity that eating GMO pesticide covered veges

I'm sure the emergency room is filled with Fat-F*cks who just had a heart-attack because they ate far too much pesticide-laden broccoli. Nope, not the Little Caesars double cheese pizza with bacon (which surely wasn't fed GMO feed before slaughter), not the ice cream, and not the carton of ding-dongs.

Gotta be the funniest thing I read this year.

The insect story is disgusting. Disturbing and sad too.

I have no plans to eat bugs, anymore than I have plans to eat a pig.

Outside of my lifestyle decision to be an entrepreneur, there is no other lifestyle decision (to be 100% plant-based) that I am more at peace with, and happy with. I'm proud that the reckless and leisurely consumption of suffering is not part of my life. I'm no stranger to going against a cultural script and being an outlier, and I'm terribly happy where my decisions have led my life, both financially, health-wise, and personally.

The only drawback to the decision is having to deal with random assumptions and judgments (both online and IRL) that are based on pure ignorance.... kinda like vegan food is disgusting and/or tasteless, which I'm sure fits right in the "eating insects" narrative.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Could Florida man be the answer...?

@Antifragile Destin is warm almost all year! Go look at their sand compared to Canada's...

I like Florida, here is a sunrise pic I took a few years back. Beautiful Miami Beach, warm!

L_4TnrsfSyilkMQeEfxRIQ.jpg

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I'm sure the emergency room is filled with Fat-F*cks who just had a heart-attack because they ate far too much pesticide-laden broccoli. Nope, not the Little Caesars double cheese pizza with bacon (which surely wasn't fed GMO feed before slaughter), not the ice cream, and not the carton of ding-dongs.

I like how you cut my comment off where it said bottles filled with sugar. Double cheese bacon, ice cream etc are just more examples of the exact point I was making. GMO grain fed meat is another perfect example.

I don’t really see why you find my comment the funniest thing you’ve read all year?

You think it’s funny to assume that eating a vegetable that’s been genetically modified and sprayed with poisonous chemicals made by the same company that made agent orange could possibly be harming people?
0E6141B7-4787-4A67-8A9B-1F75445180A2.jpeg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ said it best. I wouldn't eat any living creature, either. I also wouldn't eat lab-grown meat.

By the way, these types of questions show lazy thinking on the part of the person asking. The definition of being vegan:

"A person who does not eat any food derived from animals and who typically does not use other animal products."

Out of 1.5 million living animal species that have been described, 1 million are insects. What makes you think that insects don't count as animals considering the fact that MOST animals are insects?

Also, I'm not just "plant-based" but vegan first and foremost. The difference is that people on a plant-based diet usually don't do it for ethical reasons and mostly do it for health/performance benefits. Meanwhile, vegans do their best to never hurt any animals.

This means that I also never kill spiders at home or any other insects. In fact, I have some bees living on my balcony now and I'm happy to provide them with a shelter. Yep, I'm this guy who literally wouldn't even hurt a fly. It actually disturbs me a lot when people kill insects without any thought just because they're around.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I don't mind vegetarian diets.
80% of what I eat is vegetables, 20% meat.
I tried going vegan for 3 months and I couldn't last longer than that, but I see the appeal.

I think all of these diets, Wether it's carnivore, keto etc, just works differently for different people.

There is no one and only way to eat.

The bug thing is happening, i can't believe they want us to eat the bugs.

Someone at the WEF is loving it.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I like how you cut my comment off where it said bottles filled with sugar. Double cheese bacon, ice cream etc are just more examples of the exact point I was making. GMO grain fed meat is another perfect example.

I don’t really see why you find my comment the funniest thing you’ve read all year?

You think it’s funny to assume that eating a vegetable that’s been genetically modified and sprayed with poisonous chemicals made by the same company that made agent orange could possibly be harming people?
View attachment 43753
giphy.gif

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada

I don't agree. Some tribes have been eating insects as part of their way of eating. Some remote tribes to this day do it (the Papua for example in Indonesia). I come from Central Africa, and in my country, some people have been eating insects. I can't stomach it now, but younger, I was snacking on crickets at an aunt's house.

Granted, it is not eating bugs in lieu of meat, but eating both bugs and meats.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I don't agree. Some tribes have been eating insects as part of their way of eating. Some remote tribes to this day do it (the Papua for example in Indonesia). I come from Central Africa, and in my country, some people have been eating insects. I can't stomach it now, but younger, I was snacking on crickets at an aunt's house.

Granted, it is not eating bugs in lieu of meat, but eating both bugs and meats.
This is a good point actually thanks, I’d forgotten but actually in New Zealand where I’m from there are bugs that people used to eat as well. But you’re right they still ate meat and veges too.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

How is eating bugs vegan?

The "eating insects" narrative is always used as anti-vegan propaganda since it has a climate change component.

There is absolutely NO LIVING CREATURE that I want to kill because it looks appetizing, from pigs to crickets to sea spiders (crabs). There is no click-bait story, no government initiative, and no anti-vegan YouTube video (this guy was vegan and lost muscle! wooooooooo!!!!) that will change that.

The insect story is disgusting. Disturbing and sad too.

I have no plans to eat bugs, anymore than I have plans to eat a pig.

Outside of my lifestyle decision to be an entrepreneur, there is no other lifestyle decision (to be 100% plant-based) that I am more at peace with, and happy with. I'm proud that the reckless and leisurely consumption of suffering is not part of my life. I'm no stranger to going against a cultural script and being an outlier, and I'm terribly happy where my decisions have led my life, both financially, health-wise, and personally.

The only drawback to the decision is having to deal with random assumptions and judgments (both online and IRL) that are based on pure ignorance.... kinda like vegan food is disgusting and/or tasteless, which I'm sure fits right in the "eating insects" narrative.
No judgement intended. Yeah, I just don't know much about veganism, sorry. I thought maybe because they are less sentient it might be a thing, maybe for some vegetarians, but probably not vegans. No hard feelings MJ. I get you.

I like Florida, here is a sunrise pic I took a few years back. Beautiful Miami Beach, warm!

View attachment 43752
Beautiful!!! Wish I could move there, but I'm pretty committed to my location.

Question for y'all:

We are all about not having a job here on the FLF, but would you say that if you don't treat your business like it's your job, you are going to fail? True or false? I feel like that's pretty true.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
RIP Joe.

I met him many times and know his family, he was a legend. We’ll miss you Joe.

Here is a copy/paste of what kind of a billionaire thinker he was, his thoughts on giving:

Segal's message: philanthropy is not a matter of the total amount of the dollars given, it is how much you can give within your means.

He then launched into a compelling story. He described a “little old lady living on a pension whose husband, a longshoreman, has died.”

The widow, he said, had been struggling since her husband’s death and lived on a modest pension in a house on a 25-foot lot in East Vancouver.

“Taxes were $400 per year, but now they’re $8,000 per year because the land value has gone up,” Segal said.

“She wants to live there until she dies. So, there’s a knock at the door. It’s near Christmas and it’s the Salvation Army. She starts to say ‘No,’ but then says, ‘Just a minute.’ She goes to the cookie jar that has a grocery list and money. She takes money out and goes to the door. ‘Here’s $20.’ Then, she crosses items off her grocery list. Giving is not always measured by the size of the gift.”

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
We are all about not having a job here on the FLF, but would you say that if you don't treat your business like it's your job, you are going to fail? True or false? I feel like that's pretty true.

What does it mean to treat a business like it's your job? Hate it with your entire being? Work 24/7? Treat it seriously (but who doesn't?)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What does it mean to treat a business like it's your job? Hate it with your entire being? Work 24/7? Treat it seriously (but who doesn't?)
Show up for the business every day. Just asking if you think it's necessary...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Show up for the business every day. Just asking if you think it's necessary...

I think that it ultimately comes down to whether you define yourself as an entrepreneur or whether it's a tool for you. This, plus whether you're leaning towards the "enterprise" model of a business vs a "lifestyle business."

Because I approach this from the perspective of a lifestyle business, I'll always prioritize my lifestyle over the business. I do show up but I don't see it as something I absolutely have to attend to every single day. If that were necessary, then I would have sold such a business as quickly as possible.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
From alts.co newsletter:

What have we achieved in the last decade?

Turns out, quite a lot.

From the always-excellent Azeem Azhar's weekly newsletter, here's a glance at some of the more remarkable technological advancements since 2012:
  • In 2012, a desktop computer could deliver a gigaflop/s of performance for roughly 89c. By 2022, the latest Xbox Series X did that same number crunch for under 4c.
  • A decade ago, the state-of-the-art chip had about 5 billion transistors. By 2022, the Cerebras WSE2 packed 2.5 trillion.
  • The ultramodern deep neural network of 2012, AlexNet, had 65m parameters. Alibaba’s M5, unveiled in late 2021, has more than a trillion.
  • Back then, under 1 of 20 cars sold in Norway was an electric vehicle. In March 2022, 92% of all cars sold in Norway were battery electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids. (The vast majority, the former).
  • The cost to write a DNA base pair was 90 cents in 2012. By this year, it had fallen to a tenth of that.
  • And sequencing the human genome had fallen from nearly $7,000 to under $600.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Beautiful!!! Wish I could move there, but I'm pretty committed to my location.

I don’t want to live there. But I could see spending winter months …

Question for y'all:

It’s not black and white (true/false).

I enjoy what I do, and on good days love being at the office. Yet there are bad days, when the struggles get the best of me and I hate “having this job!”

That’s life. Same with sports. Family. Friends.

Look over the long term and then decide if it’s for you. My test is this: do I sacrifice family and health for the sake of my business? If yes, it’s all wrong and I need to fix it.

Like yesterday, weather was beautiful and I called it a day at 2pm, went for a bike ride. It’s not something you’d do with a “job”. Ride up my favorite lookout and snapped this pic:

5FFF1D75-8C3C-401A-B0AC-2660505DCE90.jpeg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.