The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is why people get sick of self-development and guru strategy...

There's absolutely nothing here that is actionable to the average person other than the simple truth that people gravitate to free money grabs.

It reminds me of the old adage, "How to make $1 million in the stock market in one month... well, first, you start with $100 million dollars."

Duh.

1684258309088.png

G

Guest-5ty5s4

This is why people get sick of self-development and guru strategy...

There's absolutely nothing here that is actionable to the average person other than the simple truth that people gravitate to free money grabs.

It reminds me of the old adage, "How to make $1 million in the stock market in one month... well, first, you start with $100 million dollars."

Duh.

View attachment 48838
There is a good lesson here, but yeah, it definitely doesn't scale properly or the same...

I got my best online sales and interactions when I started my fishing product biz (INSIDERS might know) when I ran a couple of ads with giveaways. Basically just said follow the page and you'll be entered to get a free product. Worked a lot better than a normal ad of the product.

(That business hasn't done so hot since because the manufacturing and shipping costs kept getting higher and customers were not willing to pay more)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
Funny thing is how effort isn't correlated to how much money you make. This means that entrepreneurship can appear "unfair" in the eyes of certain people.

That's because what matters, in the end, isn't as much what you put in as what your customers get out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Has anybody heard any of RFK Jr's recent interviews? He did one with Russell Brand a few days ago that absolutely blew my mind. The man is a walking history book. He has receipts dating back decades with names, positions, organizations, dates, and more all stored in his brain.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I recently joined a high ticket coaching program for Youtube with a lot of 1 million+ sub channels.
What is crazy is how every single little thing is tracked, improved and perfected.

We just did the first of two full sessions (2 hours) on just the Thumbnails.

What is really cool about this is how they outperform everyone with 1000 different 1% gains.
What looks like luck on the outside is a detailed system to maximise every possible tiny element.

Also, a lot of it is patterns. Seeing what worked for others in the past, finding out why, adjusting it, and tweaking it to make it a little better.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1684346714064.png

Why $1M?

Why not $939,000? Or $1,103,000?

Sure, let me get my checkbook.

But only after I delete that section in TMF that says "beg people for free money."

I sincerely don't understand people who read a book and their first action is something like this.

We just did the first of two full sessions (2 hours) on just the Thumbnails.

Well? Do share? These are YT Thumbnails that perform well?

Let me guess? The stupid shocked face?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Well? Do share? These are YT Thumbnails that perform well?

Let me guess? The stupid shocked face?

There was a lot to it but a huge part of it is to quickly get your brain to stop and be curious.

What is really interesting is that top Youtubers often stage their whole thumbnail.
Like in this slide below, both thumbnails have nothing from their actual videos. (fully staged)

They just know these images work the best, so they use them - and then the video contains different content.
But.. you have to then deliver on the promise so people feel the click was worth it.

1684347147693.png

A large part of a video doing well is just the title and the thumbnail.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There was a lot to it but a huge part of it is to quickly get your brain to stop and be curious.

What is really interesting is that top Youtubers often stage their whole thumbnail.
Like in this slide below, both thumbnails have nothing from their actual videos. (fully staged)

They just know these images work the best, so they use them - and then the video contains different content.
But.. you have to then deliver on the promise so people feel the click was worth it.

View attachment 48855

So partial deception? Sad, but not shocking.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
New user hits the TRIFECTA!

1) Using ChatGPT
2) Drops backlink
3) Too lazy to even remove the ChatGPT Prompt.

Delete!!

1684354177346.png

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So partial deception? Sad, but not shocking.
I think they treat it like a book cover now vs a screenshot from the video. Or actually more like a movie poster.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
What is really cool about this is how they outperform everyone with 1000 different 1% gains.
What looks like luck on the outside is a detailed system to maximise every possible tiny element.

Team Sky is an excellent example of a 1% gains across every conceivable little gain possible. They re-defined how cycling teams won Tour de France.

Turn the clock back to 2010 and Britain had never produced a Tour De France winning rider.

The team was founded with the primary goal of producing the first British winner of the Tour De France. To accomplish this, it was decided that the core of the squad should be comprised of relatively young British riders, supplemented with several established foreign names. The first roster of Sky riders reflected this, including the likes of; Thomas, Froome, Wiggins and Stannard, alongside Simon Gerrans, Edvald Boasson Hagen and Thomas Löfkvist..

Marginal gains yield major rewards

The long list of triumphs enjoyed by Team Sky since their inception can be largely attributed to what is known as the ‘aggregation of marginal gains‘.

This philosophy was implemented by Dave Brailsford following his appointment as general manager of the team. In his own words, the basis of the theory is that “if you break down everything you could think of, that goes into riding a bike, and then improve it by 1%, you will get a significant increase when you put them all together. They’re tiny things, but if you clump them together it can be the difference between winning and losing.”

Their search for efficiency has included countless innovative tweaks, some of which may seem to the untrained eye to be tenuously linked to performance on a bike. Such changes include; travelling with their own mattresses and pillows to ensure riders sleep and recover as best as possible, colour coding water bottles to differentiate between water and energy drinks saving time on the road, and travelling on their state of the art team bus known as ‘The Death Star’, decked out with reclining padded seats, a shower, a treatment room, and a built in sound system.

Result? The British based outfit have produced the race winner 7 in a row.

Apply this to business - ANY business, and success is 10x more likely.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Team Sky is an excellent example of a 1% gains across every conceivable little gain possible. They re-defined how cycling teams won Tour de France.

Turn the clock back to 2010 and Britain had never produced a Tour De France winning rider.

The team was founded with the primary goal of producing the first British winner of the Tour De France. To accomplish this, it was decided that the core of the squad should be comprised of relatively young British riders, supplemented with several established foreign names. The first roster of Sky riders reflected this, including the likes of; Thomas, Froome, Wiggins and Stannard, alongside Simon Gerrans, Edvald Boasson Hagen and Thomas Löfkvist..

The long list of triumphs enjoyed by Team Sky since their inception can be largely attributed to what is known as the ‘aggregation of marginal gains‘.

This philosophy was implemented by Dave Brailsford following his appointment as general manager of the team. In his own words, the basis of the theory is that “if you break down everything you could think of, that goes into riding a bike, and then improve it by 1%, you will get a significant increase when you put them all together. They’re tiny things, but if you clump them together it can be the difference between winning and losing.”

Their search for efficiency has included countless innovative tweaks, some of which may seem to the untrained eye to be tenuously linked to performance on a bike. Such changes include; travelling with their own mattresses and pillows to ensure riders sleep and recover as best as possible, colour coding water bottles to differentiate between water and energy drinks saving time on the road, and travelling on their state of the art team bus known as ‘The Death Star’, decked out with reclining padded seats, a shower, a treatment room, and a built in sound system.

This is powerful shit, another newsletter topic and perhaps its own thread. Thanks for sharing.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 15, 2022
This is powerful shit, another newsletter topic and perhaps its own thread. Thanks for sharing.
I've been trying notice the small wins on my own stuff and I've been feeling a lot better lately I also don't have to wait for big events to happen becuase small wins happen quickly and still feel great.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland

Awesomeness. Is this the same team from Atomic Habits? I vaguely remember this story. So inspiring.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Awesomeness. Is this the same team from Atomic Habits? I vaguely remember this story. So inspiring.

I’m a cycling nut case! It's my favourite sport and I'm immersed into this world. I've been sharing this story for many years, applied it in my business and later was pleasantly surprised to see it picked up in books.

Team Sky no longer exists... it's been bought by INEOS and hasn't done as well since.

Here is another little value-skew: when you perform a "miracle" like they did, you get nut cases like me buying same equipment.

Like my custom race bike... you don't want me to tell you how much this cost!

IMG_6890.jpeg

Awesome. I can try to dig up my old planning books. 6-7 years ago I was putting it together for our business to get everyone to understand the power of incremental marginal gains. But I am travelling this week.

There are a lot of resources online too, that would be faster than waiting on me :).

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Wyatt Earp's thoughts on gunfighting. In 10 minutes he covers:
  • why gunfighters always wore two guns, but only used one
  • why they only had 5 bullets in their 6-guns
  • why the "slow" gunfighters were the best
  • what trick shots Wild Bill Hickcock used in gunfights
  • what modifications gunfighters made to their guns
  • which gunfighters notched their guns with "credits"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJNpWBcvQE

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I know this is a business forum but I'm definitely applying this to my swim competitions this summer ;) doing some masters/adult training and meets. Will encourage the team and other members to adopt this as well.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I'm a Chinese in Malaysia.
Despite my Chinese background, I never really got around learning Mandarin and a dialect (Cantonese).

Now that I'm older, I have tried to learn them up, for the sake of my loved ones...and for cultural sake. I know there's an entire world of knowledge hidden behind the Mandarin texts, newspapers and books, especially after hearing my mentor-figures in Chinese stocks trading discuss many, many things about China.

But I never really could catch on the habit of learning Mandarin and/or Cantonese.

It wasn't the material's fault. I had HSK books, Hanbook app on my phone...I even learned a lot from Peppa Pig kid's shows in the language.

So what was the problem?

Today just made me realise it. No...remember it.

Today I was eating out at a restaurant, and I was coughing hard because I just recovered from an illness. I did my best to turn away from people next to me...but some Chinese retard uncle scowled at me rudely to get the F*ck away and stop coughing at his table. Even with the little Cantonese I knew, I understood his crude words and hated them.

That day my mindset was very down because of that illness. All I could think was, 'Could that uncle not see me struggling to breathe in my face mask? I have to cough...but I never coughed right in your face...'

It took all of my self-control to not jump him and cut him down. Literally.

I just changed my seat to elsewhere far off.

I thought about all this...and realised all my life...it was sadly my OWN Chinese race who gave me A LOT of pain.
My own relatives. My own flesh and blood. My own race.

I saw how uncaring my own race was through that uncle, even though I dunno who he is.

I remembered many things:
Instead of offering a hand to me when I was younger, to teach me Mandarin, my Chinese kin just teased me and just told me off mockingly to 'learn more Mandarin'...

Instead of bringing peace and love to my family gatherings...there were endless dramas and quarrels.
To write them down here would take forever...

Instead of suggesting me some good shows to learn Mandarin from, everyone just turned on those quarrelsome Chinese dramas full of rubbish dialogues and arguments...

So how could I learn the language of people I hated? From a mental model I hated?

I learned English and Malay, other languages, from places of care and love. I picked English from church's Sunday School. I had a few Malay teachers in primary school who fought for their students' lives, even when they struggled with Malay vocab.

Nobody whacked me upside down with a cane to learn these other languages, unlike Mandarin.

Yet I learnt them.

What was more...I never received similar bad treatment from other races in Malaysia. I have had Malay friends. Indians. Indonesians (during my time studying in college). None of them treated me with contempt or selfishness so far. I also have non-Chinese mentor figures...and they never treated me with such selfishness, racism or contempt at my language control or others.

Even worse was how much my own Chinese relatives or even peers propagated racism.

They kept warning me how racist every other non-Chinese was...even scorned them for learning up Mandarin and 'stealing' all their 'good stuff'.

Whenever they read about US-China conflicts on the news, they would be the first to strike at Americans for being arrogant and stupid, and crow about China...although they would never move over there to live, for obvious reasons.

For myself, I was always happy to have other races learn the language even though I myself am not good at it. I never saw it as stealing...if they wanted to learn something to improve themselves, go for it.

And I have NEVER had a racist incident with other races in all my life.

I have also NEVER teased anyone for being weak at English. I also don't see folks who struggle with English as inferior.
If I had the chance, I just recommend them Geronimo Stilton books for kids...they are fun books to read and learn it up.

And how could you Americans be 100% arrogant and stupid? I know there's the rubbish that US politicians do. But if it were not for the business experience built by a culture that values enterprise, the books you Westerners write, the numerous online courses you folks come up with...how could I learn about wealth and entrepreneurship?

They say learning a language, be it Mandarin or otherwise, relies heavily on the environment.

And I think that perhaps the Chinese people I am around with are simply too toxic.

Where to find better, more empathetic Chinese to talk to and learn the language from? To live with? In an environment of better care and concern?

I just hope my own race is not inherently racist and prejudistic...because if it is, I'd rather be race-less and have no cultural identity at all. Like some of those expats, if you will...

On learning Mandarin or Cantonese, maybe I just have to pay money for one of those gurus' private communities. I should be able to learn enough just for business' sake or reading...but with my disappointment at my own race, I don't know if I'll ever master the mother tongue good enough to express my deepest feelings. Maybe one day I'll meet a friendly mentor figure who will convince me otherwise...

And currently my priority on spending money...is more on business or money-making courses.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I'm a Chinese in Malaysia.
Despite my Chinese background, I never really got around learning Mandarin and a dialect (Cantonese).

Now that I'm older, I have tried to learn them up, for the sake of my loved ones...and for cultural sake. I know there's an entire world of knowledge hidden behind the Mandarin texts, newspapers and books, especially after hearing my mentor-figures in Chinese stocks trading discuss many, many things about China.

But I never really could catch on the habit of learning Mandarin and/or Cantonese.

It wasn't the material's fault. I had HSK books, Hanbook app on my phone...I even learned a lot from Peppa Pig kid's shows in the language.

So what was the problem?

Today just made me realise it. No...remember it.

Today I was eating out at a restaurant, and I was coughing hard because I just recovered from an illness. I did my best to turn away from people next to me...but some Chinese retard uncle scowled at me rudely to get the F*ck away and stop coughing at his table. Even with the little Cantonese I knew, I understood his crude words and hated them.

That day my mindset was very down because of that illness. All I could think was, 'Could that uncle not see me struggling to breathe in my face mask? I have to cough...but I never coughed right in your face...'

It took all of my self-control to not jump him and cut him down. Literally.

I just changed my seat to elsewhere far off.

I thought about all this...and realised all my life...it was sadly my OWN Chinese race who gave me A LOT of pain.
My own relatives. My own flesh and blood. My own race.

I saw how uncaring my own race was through that uncle, even though I dunno who he is.

I remembered many things:
Instead of offering a hand to me when I was younger, to teach me Mandarin, my Chinese kin just teased me and just told me off mockingly to 'learn more Mandarin'...

Instead of bringing peace and love to my family gatherings...there were endless dramas and quarrels.
To write them down here would take forever...

Instead of suggesting me some good shows to learn Mandarin from, everyone just turned on those quarrelsome Chinese dramas full of rubbish dialogues and arguments...

So how could I learn the language of people I hated? From a mental model I hated?

I learned English and Malay, other languages, from places of care and love. I picked English from church's Sunday School. I had a few Malay teachers in primary school who fought for their students' lives, even when they struggled with Malay vocab.

Nobody whacked me upside down with a cane to learn these other languages, unlike Mandarin.

Yet I learnt them.

What was more...I never received similar bad treatment from other races in Malaysia. I have had Malay friends. Indians. Indonesians (during my time studying in college). None of them treated me with contempt or selfishness so far. I also have non-Chinese mentor figures...and they never treated me with such selfishness, racism or contempt at my language control or others.

Even worse was how much my own Chinese relatives or even peers propagated racism.

They kept warning me how racist every other non-Chinese was...even scorned them for learning up Mandarin and 'stealing' all their 'good stuff'.

Whenever they read about US-China conflicts on the news, they would be the first to strike at Americans for being arrogant and stupid, and crow about China...although they would never move over there to live, for obvious reasons.

For myself, I was always happy to have other races learn the language even though I myself am not good at it. I never saw it as stealing...if they wanted to learn something to improve themselves, go for it.

And I have NEVER had a racist incident with other races in all my life.

I have also NEVER teased anyone for being weak at English. I also don't see folks who struggle with English as inferior.
If I had the chance, I just recommend them Geronimo Stilton books for kids...they are fun books to read and learn it up.

And how could you Americans be 100% arrogant and stupid? I know there's the rubbish that US politicians do. But if it were not for the business experience built by a culture that values enterprise, the books you Westerners write, the numerous online courses you folks come up with...how could I learn about wealth and entrepreneurship?

They say learning a language, be it Mandarin or otherwise, relies heavily on the environment.

And I think that perhaps the Chinese people I am around with are simply too toxic.

Where to find better, more empathetic Chinese to talk to and learn the language from? To live with? In an environment of better care and concern?

I just hope my own race is not inherently racist and prejudistic...because if it is, I'd rather be race-less and have no cultural identity at all. Like some of those expats, if you will...

On learning Mandarin or Cantonese, maybe I just have to pay money for one of those gurus' private communities. I should be able to learn enough just for business' sake or reading...but with my disappointment at my own race, I don't know if I'll ever master the mother tongue good enough to express my deepest feelings. Maybe one day I'll meet a friendly mentor figure who will convince me otherwise...

And currently my priority on spending money...is more on business or money-making courses.
Can start with financial news as an area of interest.

When I was kid I remember my Chinese language skill was built up by reading Chinese comics books.

I know adults who improved Chinese through downloading tantan app. At least it gave men the dopamine to improve Chinese fast chatting with native speakers.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
It has never been easier to make money because service has become awful.

Today I was told I could not buy something that was in the window of the shop because apparently, it was too much trouble fetching it.

I insisted and they complied lmao

That's where we are: businesses saying no to money cuz it's too hard.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022

View attachment 48855

Reading this really makes me want to start Youtube.

Compared to Medium, sounds like a breeze.

But then it makes sense. Captivating an audience with writing is 10000X harder than using video.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.