The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Provisional Patents - copy/paste from existing granted patents???

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Props for figuring out the process of writing the patent!

I don't mean to sound harsh but the hat itself is a bit ridiculous. If I'm understanding correctly, you have to wear a hat or a weird looking cap at work so you focus on your laptop and not get distracted by your surroundings? Did you do any market testing for this because I feel like I know 0 people who would wear something like this.

Women generally don't wear hats, when they do they're beautiful hats or caps that are fashionable, not visors. And anyone wearing visors are doing it to protect their skin outside, such as this asian type of visor.
visor1.jpg

I don't think I ever heard one person say I wish there was a hat that made me focus better. And IMO, distractions come from auditory stimuli more than visual which is why people wear headphones when working, or turn the volume down when they are searching for something while they're driving.

Men that wear hats usually wear baseball caps that are cool, again not visors since it's not 1993. You may have solved a problem that doesn't exist.

Also with VR and AR technology, people can have 70" equivalent sized monitors in their VR/AR headsets that allow them to work in virtual space, which means blocking out distractions of their choice.

But that's my truth (hopefully not too brutal bud) and I fear it might have cost you a lot of time and/or money for something that hasn't been tested.

But hey, if you know something I don't about sales, I could be wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hannes Grebin

Creator
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 9, 2016
Berlin, Germany
@Denim Chicken I love your comment! This is what I need - the subjective hard truth! :)
Actually I'm a very visual type and I was so F*cking distracted in my open office that I had to figure out the first prototype. Later I came up with the final flat fold design. I will check some images for you from my research and 1st business plan. Wait a sec

Donna_Lee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 1, 2016
@Denim Chicken I love your comment! This is what I need - the subjective hard truth! :)
Actually I'm a very visual type and I was so F*cking distracted in my open office that I had to figure out the first prototype. Later I came up with the final flat fold design. I will check some images for you from my research and 1st business plan. Wait a sec

First, congratulations on filing your PPA by yourself and saving a batch of money on lawyers fees.
Are you planning to venture this item yourself?
I wouldn't be revealing all of your patent drawings and claims, as Patent offices don't actually look at PPA's and only look at full Patent Applications. Patent Applications, are published 18 months after you file, and at that time would be searchable in various online sites.
Revealing your drawings in you PPA gives someone the opportunity to design around you, if they were of a mind to.
If you do go forward and try to sell, that 's great; but there is NO reason to reveal your patent drawings and claims. Just make the item, offer it for sale, or try to find a company to licence your idea.
If you find a company that wants to licence you product, only then would you reveal the contents of your PPA or full patent.
I would delete your posts here that reveal your patent drawings, as they would not even be published in a PPA and you have a full year to file a full utility patent. Once you file a full utility patent then the contents of your application would be published 18 months after filing.
This gives an inventor plenty of time to work out the design, make changes, improvements,prototypes, etc.

I know you're excited about your idea, and the fact that you are now Patent Pending; but it's always prudent to keep some information to yourself.

Good Luck with your invention!

Hannes Grebin

Creator
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 9, 2016
Berlin, Germany
@Denim Chicken as you see Steelcase came up with a (fairly) mobile solution called BRODY for 2,5-5K
Dq8Xmw7.jpg

And there are lot's of other solutions. like mobile call booths etc.
Here are some images from the Brody Chair Research and a German statistics site
E3BVJeP.png

5ftvYO0.png

As you say, it's a problem nobody adresses, as I believe most people "got used to" but subconsciously it's working 24/7 intensively otherwise you wouldn't be here as your ancestors would have been eaten by some hungry saber tiger while picking berries.
There is research of there are 2 different brain regions for frontal and peripheral vision, and peripheral vision beats everything on your subjective priority ahead of you like a master thesis in the college library or some important changes on a presentation in the train.

You are also right: I have to deal with the hardwired fear of people of getting anxious of loosing control while partially cutting their senses and above all the hardwired social pressure as there is also evidence that though it's healthy to stand on a desk for a couple of hours each day, social pressure causes more harm to actually adopt despite the office majority: The real problem with standing desks, according to evolutionary psychology

Hannes Grebin

Creator
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 9, 2016
Berlin, Germany
First, congratulations on filing your PPA by yourself and saving a batch of money on lawyers fees.
Are you planning to venture this item yourself?
I wouldn't be revealing all of your patent drawings and claims, as Patent offices don't actually look at PPA's and only look at full Patent Applications. Patent Applications, are published 18 months after you file, and at that time would be searchable in various online sites....

Thanks a lot for putting out so much truth, your numbers are very new to me @Donna_Lee – These are only 2 depictions of the invention of many others and even more descriptions contained in the PPA to exactly prevent people to file around the patent.

As you might understand it's crucial for me to get the initial feedback and get these caps even revealed via interested and influential people online to actually work it out and decide the best way to go. If I hide the cap for more months and make them on my own without considerable feedback and fear suddenly I find out some valuable feedback in this post and my version would have some major flaws when making considerate investment for manufacture – then I would properly loose much more as my capabilities as a single person are very limited.

So as I know from researching a lot of successful and failed inventions I currently thought this way would be more inspiring and powerful as I even I could dump it afterwards and make everything open source, have many people in need benefit this way and get on with the next projects. What do you think?

Donna_Lee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 1, 2016
Thanks a lot for putting out so much truth, your numbers are very new to me @Donna_Lee – These are only 2 depictions of the invention of many others and even more descriptions contained in the PPA to exactly prevent people to file around the patent.

As you might understand it's crucial for me to get the initial feedback and get these caps even revealed via interested and influential people online to actually work it out and decide the best way to go. If I hide the cap for more months and make them on my own without considerable feedback and fear suddenly I find out some valuable feedback in this post and my version would have some major flaws when making considerate investment for manufacture – then I would properly loose much more as my capabilities as a single person are very limited.

So as I know from researching a lot of successful and failed inventions I currently thought this way would be more inspiring and powerful as I even I could dump it afterwards and make everything open source, have many people in need benefit this way and get on with the next projects. What do you think?
Hannes,I agree with you about not wanting to put a considerable investment of money into a product that may , or may not be successful.
You are now patent pending, so you are able to reveal your invention; I would just caution you from revealing the claims and drawings of your PPA. It would only be necessary when you have an interested investor or licensor. It would be a great idea to build a prototype. You may find that you have another function or feature, to add, and you will also get an idea of how much it costs to actually produce it, should an interested party ask.. Even if you completely redesign it, and add more features, you can always file another PPA.
You can now contact companies that manufacture office products and see if they might have an interest in licensing your invention. Getting their feedback, even if it's negative, may help you have another idea.
You could also watch the InventRight videos on youtube for help and inspiration.
Now you are a product developer. Keep developing products!

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Thanks @Donna_Lee , I think you are absolutely right I deleted the patent drawings and will not reveal them rather the prototypes or the process as this makes me bit vulnerable though.
Much Thanks for this!
Keep u all updated!

@Denim Chicken see one of my happy existing (few) customers:

7RMtwWD.jpg
Very cool. I wish you the best!

Donna_Lee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 1, 2016
@Denim Chicken for a second you made me feel like Steve Jobs (after presenting the iPhone). ;)
Anyways, I filed the PPA to here those honest comments!!! You made and @Donna_Lee made my day. it's good to feel reality shaping! Keep u updated!
Prototype renderings and photos are great to show. I'm glad you deleted your drawings. Good Luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.