The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD (James F)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Hey, congrats on progress and finding mentors ;) I'm jealous :)
Keep us updated!

Personally, I don't like when one uses third-person talking on his blog. On About Me page you use first person, but on the side you use 3rd person... I'd change that. But that's just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Great introduction!

Just one notes. The link on right side "Learn more about James" which link to itself make no sense to me.

Great story for all of us working our butts off. :)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@camski wow thanks! I have sent you a PM. To answer your questions; I had a price point in mind, breaking down into # of employee brackets. A monthly subscription based model. My strength is net marketing, but I am definitely going to get out, hustle and bustle the businesses here in Nashville. A salesforce is a definite need.

@gymjunkie Thanks! I changed it up to first person; it does sound more personal and more inviting that way!

@terence As always, thanks! I didn't know you had a blog, I found it through your email address, and have subscribed. That 'learn more about James' link is for those on the blog's homepage. For those already in the 'about me' section, it will just refresh the page.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Sounds good, I haven't checked in a while and it seems like you are making good progress. Very nice.

I wish I could do something like this, but I picked a different path so we each gotta do what we gotta do

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for all these updates, love reading them. Love the logo too!!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
James F:

Just introduce your service to a RE investor here in Arizona. He is working on similar thing as you do. However, the developer quit on him. So I told him that you system may help him gets what he wants without reinvent the wheel.

Basically, he is buying and flipping houses and sell that in few months. He needs a system to manage the schedule and progress, so his contractors can report the remodeling process. I think your system can pretty much handle that. He also want to license the system to his customers.

Just want to know what is your development status? Do you already have trial program available?

Thanks!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys,
Just giving a quick update; I have been super busy and focused in between all the holiday fiesta so sorry for the scarce updates. I will try to keep up and make another chapter soon, right now, I am creating the prototype and getting a html model ready to be coded up. I guess I could write a chapter on that, but it would be a bunch of mumbo jumbo tech slang that probably wouldn't help too many people. I'll probably pick up the chapter writing again when I am about to market.

Anyways, as stated, I am banging out design drafts and drafts. Mostly of user interface and WHEW.. I didn't realize making software was so freakin hard. I guess I could make something crappy but I am putting my all into this and every single detail of workflow, usability, looks, etc. etc. takes A TON OF THOUGHT.

Is there anyone else in this boat with me? I would love to meet other software developers to chat with. Designing websites and designing web based software are two different ball games..

Oh, and I would love it if anyone is interested in my progress, beta testing, or even using the product itself to please go to Fendza.com and submit your email address. That way I can update you with any news!

Here's a teaser screenshot:
Screenshot.png

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Still banging out the html wireframe to get ready for programming. My goal date to finish this and get it ready to start coding is March 15th.

I also have begun massive strategy planning for inbound marketing and SEO.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
consider hair salons/spas etc.... You could have an app for the employee schedules and also offer some online appt scheduling/reminder service to customers. Salons don't want customers to do a no show so reminders would be good or where a customer can book/cancel/view their appt online. Even a mobile app. Businesses would definitely be into customer interaction/retainment and would see that as an extra value. Perhaps even medical/dental, time is money.

Also restaurant biz relies on much scheduling with young part time people who depend on net/mobile. Think of calling on all the Hooters restaurants and helping the waitresses to show up on time ;)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Fastlaners,
A long awaited update; I have been super busy trying to get this software to market.

The wireframe is all done and is being banged out in code by a programmer friend of mine; we met on Elance about two years ago from a previous project.

Right now, I am working on the homepage and other main site pages; I have spent a huge amount of time on this. I took a step back and asked myself why it's taking so long, and came to the conclusion, I am applying everything I have learned in the past 5 years about web business to this venture's homepage. Perfect writing for conversion, perfect writing to get what my software does in 2 seconds, perfect pictures, perfect layout, SEO, etc. etc. etc. Shoot me a PM for more details.

One thing I learned quickly, time is very valuable. Especially work time; therefore, I will continue this as a progress thread, however, it will be nearly impossible for me to update as far as "teaching" chapters go. Hopefully; just by me posting progress updates will be enough for others to learn what I am doing and why.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well, let's all get into the fastlane game and catch the wave up in 2011 when the recession dies down!

Launch will be soon in June, a couple months from now.

- James F.

@CommonCents Thank you for the advice; will do!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Fastlaners,

The homepage is finally up. (some parts are still under construction). These homepages are the result of years and years of research and experience in almost every aspect of design (user experience, layout, conversions, good copywriting, seo, etc.)

Take a look and let me know what you think! Fendza, employee scheduling software.

Ask away any questions you may have about designing sites and elements you see done well that you want to learn about.

As always, Thanks,
James F.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Can't wait to see you succeed on this one. The website is very professional looking. I see you decided to design it to be impossible to place advertisement on... That really sells a quick 'Yes.' to me.
Now where did I swipe that selling a yes or no mentality from... I think the 'make your content presell' ebook.

Anyway, I see you decided to redirect all your traffic to employee-scheduling.com instead of fendza.com. Why the shift in paradigm?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Good job buddy! I think there is definitely a big demand for this. Managers working in shops can really love such software! They need it! Good niche ;)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@bond @gym Thanks guys for the encouraging words! Helps my mental out alot. There's literally hundreds of competitors, but I think I have enough competitive edges and the drive to execute better than everyone else!

@FDJustin the change of domain was a SEO factor (exact keyword domain). The homepages are on the employee-scheduling.com domain and actual web app will be on fendza.com domain. It's alittle tricky to execute this strategy, but it helps me out in the long run.

Although, I haven't even gotten this thing launched, I can tell I applied a ton of stuff I learned from this forum. Especially the direction and the business model (web based subscription) that breeds the most chance of success. Thanks guys.

James F.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@terence - Thanks. Lol, as always, just give me a shout whenever you get yours up and I'll give you my thoughts on it.

moop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 1, 2010
This is a really fantastic thread. Thank you for taking the time to catalog your progress. I'm sure you will be riding in the fastlane very soon with this idea.

Good luck with launch :notworthy:

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
Very nice site. I'm working on something similar - a subscription based site but for a differant industry. Keen to chat off the forums? I'm at a similar stage of development to you, we could bounce ideas off each other.

If so, PM me anything such as Skype, MSN, AIM, email etc

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys,
I know I haven't updated in a long time, just been so busy with life. Fendza has been doing good. The first version of the app has taken a couple month delay due to re-doing some designs and functionality. But hopefully will get it tweaked and ready to rock and roll in a month.

As far as marketing, I have been doing SEO and have managed to rank first page for one of my keywords and second for another. The type in traffic for those keywords are way smaller than the first estimate I got from Google Keyword Tool because they updated/changed the Google Keyword Tool to reflect truer numbers since Google Instant launched. I haven't done SEO for a couple weeks so rankings are still the same, but will work on it again once I wrap up a couple projects to pay for my living expenses fund.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Hey James,

Just cought up with your project from beginning to current day.

I like the homepage - it portrays professionalism, and a good over-all feeling.

Has anyone tried a "beta" of your software on his real business already?

Goodluck with the Launch!
Looks like you are closer than ever to making it happen!

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Hey guys,
I know I haven't updated in a long time, just been so busy with life. Fendza has been doing good. The first version of the app has taken a couple month delay due to re-doing some designs and functionality. But hopefully will get it tweaked and ready to rock and roll in a month.

As far as marketing, I have been doing SEO and have managed to rank first page for one of my keywords and second for another. The type in traffic for those keywords are way smaller than the first estimate I got from Google Keyword Tool because they updated/changed the Google Keyword Tool to reflect truer numbers since Google Instant launched. I haven't done SEO for a couple weeks so rankings are still the same, but will work on it again once I wrap up a couple projects to pay for my living expenses fund.

Hey, your site looks nice. When I first clicked on it I thought it was already operating but I see from clicking some of the links that it's not done yet. I see this as being a very useful tool for HR types; they tend to deal with schedules and such. But, HR types typically don't make spending decisions. That will be a hurdle that you will have to overcome.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
How much have you booked in pre-sales?

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

@Davidla - Thanks man.. nope, am working on getting the 'beta' version up and ready for testing out..

@Darkside - I agree, hopefully I can get the site in front of those who can make a decision to purchase..

@Rickson9 - No pre-sales were set up, so none yet. I do have a nice collection of emails from people signing up to be notified when we launch..

mlsalters77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 2, 2010
Lawrencville Ga, currently in Afghanistan
This is a great post not just helpful and informative but its a huge motivation to follow some one from step A to where ever!!!!! I wish you much success bro because your as you post your answering so many questions that are developing for me as I launch my online business.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Long due update..

Well, it's been about 8 months into development now, and we are nearing the end and finally going to launch (fingers crossed) somewhere around beginning of next year. I thought I could get this Fendza thing out and launched in 4 months, but making a very, very good web app takes alot of work plus programmer delays, my delays, etc. but... I don't feel too bad as many of the software startup blogs I read, 8-10 months is very common.

I actually think I ran into a 'burn out' somewhere around the 4-7th month.. I lost some motivation, and lost some focus for a minute.. but I snapped out of it and now I've been back full steam for the past few weeks. I finally got to read the first two chapters of the FastLane book, and it's really lit a fire in my a$$...

My mother is going through troubles, and makes things very serious for me to succeed. very soon. Anyways, that's about it for now. I switched Fendza back from employee-scheduling.com to Fendza.com as the domain. My SEO back when the website first started has paid off; and I plan on doing a consistent big SEO attack once launched.

Other than that; that's about it.. Shoot me any questions, and I'll get those answered for any curious folks.

- James F.

p.s. - I ran into another startup with the same exact idea as mine, using the same colors as Fendza and everything, and even the automatic scheduling part. I'm not sure if someone just is trying to rip me off or pure coincidence, but be rest assured... YOU WILL BE DESTROYED. Fendza is a passion of mine, no sleep working, years of planning, and most importantly my execution and asset of skills will absolutely stomp you... so if you are copying; you will always be playing catch up, while me... I'll be getting ahead.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Long due update..

Well, it's been about 8 months into development now, and we are nearing the end and finally going to launch (fingers crossed) somewhere around beginning of next year. I thought I could get this Fendza thing out and launched in 4 months, but making a very, very good web app takes alot of work plus programmer delays, my delays, etc. but... I don't feel too bad as many of the software startup blogs I read, 8-10 months is very common.

I actually think I ran into a 'burn out' somewhere around the 4-7th month.. I lost some motivation, and lost some focus for a minute.. but I snapped out of it and now I've been back full steam for the past few weeks. I finally got to read the first two chapters of the FastLane book, and it's really lit a fire in my a$$...

My mother is going through troubles, and makes things very serious for me to succeed. very soon. Anyways, that's about it for now. I switched Fendza back from employee-scheduling.com to Fendza.com as the domain. My SEO back when the website first started has paid off; and I plan on doing a consistent big SEO attack once launched.

Other than that; that's about it.. Shoot me any questions, and I'll get those answered for any curious folks.

- James F.

p.s. - I ran into another startup with the same exact idea as mine, using the same colors as Fendza and everything, and even the automatic scheduling part. I'm not sure if someone just is trying to rip me off or pure coincidence, but be rest assured... YOU WILL BE DESTROYED. Fendza is a passion of mine, no sleep working, years of planning, and most importantly my execution and asset of skills will absolutely stomp you... so if you are copying; you will always be playing catch up, while me... I'll be getting ahead.

Great to see that you are finally about to launch. I would like for you to keep us updated on how well your site is doing from the beginning. Often times you read stories about how a website is doing incredibly well but you don't get to read much about how they struggled and clawed their way to their current state.

Regarding the other website, it's probably just a coincidence that someone else is working on exactly the same thing. I doubt it's someone from this forum but if it is someone from this forum, they probably won't have a chance against you because they wouldn't have the same level of passion that you would, since they are just copying you.

By the way, you can do a whois lookup to see who registered the domain name of that site. If they didn't do a private registration then you'll be able to find out lots of information about them like their name, address, etc. That should narrow it down since most of the people here know each others real life identities from meeting up before.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
If it's a good idea, it will be copied! let me know if you need beta testers, I have 7 part time employees in my fast food retail store and could give it a go and give some feedback and testimonials for you :)

congrats on the site it looks great. I see great things in you, good luck!!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@darkside - thanks, yeah. I highly doubt it's a member from this forum, but this is a public forum, so it could have been any visitor that found his way from google. I already domaintools.com and got his name, etc. Some kid from UK. We'll see what he does in the next months; his app is under programming now from the looks of things.

@darkjediii - Thank you!! I would most love to have your feedback! I just shot you a PM..

mottdog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 7, 2010
Redondo Beach, CA
Nice site bro. If it's a good market there will always be competitors, but you seem to know your sh!t so i wouldn't be worried. Are you going to have a blog to talk about upcoming changes, events, kickoff party at the City Council or features?
Also, what types of businesses is this for? Small, large, Fortune 500? I couldn't find anything. Maybe that's something you could add later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.