The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product And Service Ideas For An Aging Population.

Idea threads

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Wondering if anyone has considered creating products for the elderly. I don't know how many people know this, but by 2020 we're scheduled to see old people outnumber children for the first time in history.

This is happening due to the many advances in modern technologies and medicines (you can read about some of these in my longevity thread here).

At first older generations will simply live longer. This is already happening. So it's a great time to be thinking about how you'll improve the comfort and enjoyment of those extended later years.

Eventually, as some of the more devastating illnesses and diseases of old age are cured, we'll start to find new ways to restore and maintain youthful bodies (much as we do with classic cars). This will cause a huge fluctuation in the available pool of people to sell to, and the kind of stuff they'll buy.

Rebuild-your-Old-Vehicles-with-Replacement-Auto-Parts.jpg

Imagine what a 90 year old today would be interested in having or doing if he had the body of a 60 or 40 or 20 year old? How would that change his experience of the world? What products and services might he want or need?

There's an entirely new market beginning to emerge. Entire generations of people will suddenly have a lifetime of experience, 401ks, and the physical capability to enjoy that life more than was possible not long ago.

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there for anyone who's looking for ideas. Whether it's a service business, ecommerce, SAAS, the future is upon us and those who position themselves properly will profit.

I'm 30 right now, and I can tell you if my body was 20 I'd be running, and jumping, and racing, and staying out later a lot more.

If I were 90 and my body were suddenly 20, well, you get the picture...

2644fd82256271c655107b3bf1909e4d.jpg

But you don't have to create products for 90 year old's in a 20 year old's body. Before that happens, we'll just see 90 year old's living longer in 90 year old bodies.

This is where the world is right now. The picture above is where the world might be in another 10-15 years. We're much closer to age reversal than most people realize. But you can research that on your own.

The point is, it's time to start thinking about this market and how they might be best served.

:)

Feel free to share your thoughts about products or services older generations might want or need. It would be great to open up discussion on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
Good thread.

Related to this, a lot of people who have plans to pass down money to their kids. Realize if you end up in a nursing home, it will cost you around $120,000/year and the best insurance in the world covers 0% of it. There are ways to protect yourself against this, there's speciality lawyers who can help you out if you act in advance(5-7 years in advance).

Also, just my random 2 cents. I see these old people advertised who are jacked and on steroids/HGH. I wonder what their insides look like. Like what percent are their arteries blocked?
I would think the healthier image of an old person would be someone who's skinny with running shoes on.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Also, just my random 2 cents. I see these old people advertised who are jacked and on steroids/HGH. I wonder what their insides look like. Like what percent are their arteries blocked?
I would think the healthier image of an old person would be someone who's skinny with running shoes on.

How do you know they are on steroids/HGH? That's an assumption based on ?? The idea of an older person being skinny with running shoes on could just as much be a doctored image. We're not talking about advertising in this thread. The purpose is to discuss solutions for an aging population who is currently living longer and will soon be living in younger, healthier bodies.

The image posted above suggests the idea of an older person in a 20 year old's body.

There are currently multiple approaches to longevity and life extension in regards to health and fitness. One approach involves caloric restriction and limited low-intensity exercise, which leads to a very thin and fragile looking frame. Another approach involves specific types of weight lifting and high-intensity workouts, sometimes combined with intermittent fasting that leads to a more muscular frame.

On a similar note, neuro-scientists are now beginning to discover the many advantages of brain plasticity which is proving that it may not matter which approach one takes, but rather that we can live longer and healthier currently by creating new neurons and extending the life of others through any kind of exercise as well as a process of lifelong learning.

In the end it doesn't matter what anyone "thinks" a healthier image of a person would look like. What matters is results, but that's for another thread another time.

When I get back from the store I'll post some thoughts on areas I think entrepreneurs could potentially create thriving businesses by solving the needs of an aging population.

;)

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
My dad is 77 years old, he has mild Parkinson disease, and 2 years ago when he was admitted to the hospital due to a lung infection the doctors did a scan and realized he has a small lump right in the middle of his brain (around 2.2 cm X 2.5 cm X 2.3 cm).

My dad is a very stubborn person and he only believes in certain ideas, and modern medicine is not one of them. He rejected treatment for Parkinson (I kind of agree too as the medicines don't work after some time), declined further analysis of the lump to see if it is benign, and stuck to his vegetarian diet.

I have been looking around for possible ways to improve his health and have come across a few very interesting medical devices. Problem is they cost a bomb and there are no real clinical data to back up their claims. The theory behind these devices are sound though. Basically how these devices work is they produce a broad vibrational spectrum of frequency, which will "tune" your cells back to normal. Imagine it like tuning guitar strings using a tuning fork. Once you reach resonance you eventually regain your health. In the process of "tuning" your body will detox, symptoms will temporarily worsen etc etc, but you'll get better. There are testimonials out there but again, not clinical data.

Then there is the theory of bioelectricity, which is said to be able to rejuvenate cells and reverse aging. Not able to find any medical devices for sale in this category though. Just managed to read some articles mentioning about its potential and research in progress.

Other than these 2 interesting categories I also stumbled upon many infra red or negative ion related devices. Not worth mentioning as they are too common and they've been around for a long time. I'm sure they are beneficial, but probably not enough for people with serious health issues.

Let me know your thoughts and what you have stumbled upon. Would like to gain more exposure on this topic. Thanks

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there for anyone who's looking for ideas. Whether it's a service business, ecommerce, SAAS, the future is upon us and those who position themselves properly will profit.

I am a former Nurse Aide. I can point you in the right direction. :) This is what would've made my job easier in in-home care.
Number one: Bathing or shower system that is portable, with drainage to give bedridden individuals showers. Sometimes they can't stand up, and like me working by yourself, quite difficult and pain to use a hoyer lift and other devices to stand people up and move them around. While I've done it, very time consuming, and I don't feel like they get very clean like you and me in their homes, when they can't get to a shower or bath in their homes or private homes. I took care of a lot wealthy people, and amazing they didn't have to tools or equipment invented to provide services to them.

You ever washed your hair with crappy Dry shampoo. There needs something better available. I tried it once myself, and feels gross if you can't wash your hair like a normal person.

Laptops that are accessible and easy for elderly to communicate with others, big letters, numbers, and voice access, since they aren't like us and can't figure out how to work a laptop. Sometimes their only way to socialize is the internet. They never get out doors, and lack of visitors.

Music devices that are easily access, same thing they can control that's not complicated.

Audio books for the blind in a new format and devices.

Transportation Services to get out in the world that are affordable, safe, and reliant.

Many of them would love to be involved in the community, but don't have services to get around.

Skin care products are always being improved.

Make up and beauty products for the elderly. Believe it or not, they have no way to get out and shop themselves, and but love looking there best.

They are always in need of a Barber and Beautician coming to their homes, private in-home care.

Spa and Massage services, Mediation, Holistic Health Services for appropriate age and what they can handle to move their bodies around and have natural ways to handle their stress, agitation, anxiety, and handle emotions.

All these services need improvement, and some not available.

Healing Therapeutic Pet Services. I took my puppy to work with me a few times, and the clients I thought would never react or speak, did when the pet was available. It brings them out of their heads.

Most Elderly sit in a recliner or bed all day doing nothing, because there are no recreational activities, or things they can do and not because their not capable, just no one invented ways to keep their mind stimulated. If you study Gerontology, you will see the elderly who are more active, keep their minds stimulated, more social, and when no one is providing services or some kind of activity that they can do by themselves whether games, puzzles, recreational activities, they get lonely, depressed, and withdraw.

You'd have to do some research on different age groups, but I can tell you I took care of three people with the same disorder, and two of them weren't doing well, while one was because I went with with them to a gym, life weights, and had to option available.

Even designing a portable gym the service can transport to people's homes, would help their health, or in the private homes.

I spent nine years watching these people not have anything to do every day, but watch television and fall asleep in their chairs. And if the services, devices, activities were available, they'd probably have a better quality of life.

Remote Control Recliners would be neat with technology implemented. They all buy these to get up and down, and use them the most. You could probably even design them with laptops, music, communication devices, relaxation, massage, and the works. And like I stated, you have wealthy clients who have the money.

They are designing the robots and testing them to keep them company and alert medical if something happens.

The list is endless with the Elderly, they're forgotten most of the time. Even food services going to the house and allowing them to buy groceries, snacks, ice cream, etc would help them.

House cleaning and Yard cleaning services.

Medicine dispensers that only allow the right amount of pills and locks.

Lights and heating safety, alarm systems for gas fumes, fires, and alerting them they forgot to do something with sensors.

There's so much opportunity here.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Great post!

they're forgotten most of the time.

Exactly. This is why there's so much opportunity. An opportunity to enrich lives.

The elderly have been widely forgotten, but that's not going to be possible much longer.

The 2015 movie, "The Intern" makes it pretty clear that the aging population is going to play a role in a future society.

So we have to think about what happens as the forgotten generation becomes more lucid, not less.

JOBS
- What jobs will these people do?
- Who is going to teach them how to re-enter the workforce?
- What skills with they need to learn?
- Where will they go to learn these skills?

ACTIVITIES
- When they realize they have more life to live, what will they want to do?
- Where will they want to travel?
- How will they want to travel?
- What new things will they want to learn?
- What will they be able to afford to do?

TECHNOLOGY
- Who will help them catch up on technology?
- What technologies are most likely to help them get around, or get things done?
- How can we help them live more autonomously when they want to?
- What services might be needed to create autonomy?

CONNECTION
-
Where can these people go to connect with others?
- Where can they go to connect with younger generations?
- Why is there such a gap between old and young and how can it be bridged?
- Does being old mean you can't be friends with someone younger?

HEALTH & FITNESS
- What exercise products or services will suit their lifestyle?
- How can the elderly feel alive?
- What adventures can they go on if they're fairly healthy at 90?
- How can they be out in nature more?
- How can you help them be more active?
- What kinds of workouts could be better suited toward their body types?

PRODUCTS
- What consumer goods might they want to buy?
- How do they see themselves or how do they want to be seen?
- How do they want to be remembered?
- What would help them accomplish a new life's mission or set them down a new path?
- What products might they want to decorate with?

BUSINESS
- How could an older person be helped to start a business?
- Who could they learn from?
- Where could they meet to discuss these things with people of like mind?
- What kind of communities might need to exist?

HOUSING
-
What new housing solutions might they want or need?
- How could their household living become more autonomous?
- If they live with their children, how could life be made easier (especially for people dealing with dementia)

These are questions that run through my mind. I see elderly people and watch how the world views them. It's as though they're not people anymore. As though they don't have anything left to contribute or give. There's a reason this happens. It has a lot to do with the scripted life.

But things are changing. People can deny it all they want. The numbers don't lie. People are staying alive longer, and it's predicted this trend will continue for the foreseeable future. So instead of retiring at 65 until dead, it seems likely we'll start to see an emerging market of individuals who want to take a more active role in life instead of less. The question is, who will serve those people?

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
I know autonomous cars will help my mom and grandma tremendously as taxi/uber is way to expensive to use daily. Affordable transportation can help them do activities that they otherwise could never do in the past.

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
How do you know they are on steroids/HGH? That's an assumption based on ??

So several things.
One is it's almost the laws of physics.
Cells multiply slower as you get older.
Look at someone like Arnold. He's just a normal size guy now.
Look at someone like Stallone. He's smaller than the guy above and Stallone is on HGH(he doesn't hide the fact).
Of course I haven't done blood tests on the guy above, so I don't know. It's possible he's a genetic freak. Although genetic freaks who have naturally high test levels almost always die young.

The purpose is to discuss solutions for an aging population who is currently living longer and will soon be living in younger, healthier bodies.

Agree. Just my 2 cents. A lot of people think skeletal muscle is a sign of health.
It's 99% of the time the opposite.
To build excess skeletal muscle usually means you're putting yourself in an early grave.
Read 'excess' muscle, not normal levels, or maintaining normal levels.

There are currently multiple approaches to longevity and life extension in regards to health and fitness.

Yeah it's not really an exact science yet.
There are some knowns though.
Excess protein intake is linked to cancer.
Excess cholesterol intake, even from lean sources, is linked to heart attack and stroke.
Sugar is tied to inflammation which is tied to heart attack + stroke + cancer.

But regardless, I think this is a good topic.
A lot of old people are in a mental hell.
Lonely, isolated. Fear of death.
Can't go to the bathroom alone.
Need to go to the doctor but can't drive themseleves.
Anything that can impove their life is doing the work of a saint.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
These are questions that run through my mind. I see elderly people and watch how the world views them. It's as though they're not people anymore. As though they don't have anything left to contribute or give. There's a reason this happens. It has a lot to do with the scripted life.

You have it right on course. Issue is like me not enough nurse aides to begin with, short-staffed, and bad pay scale, no benefits, not company vehicles, and this also comes into play.

Right now you have the Adult Foster Care Homes and Communities where they are at different stages, private home care, and Nursing Homes. Those in poverty go to the Nursing Home, Middle Class may be in the nursing home, in-home care, or private home. The wealthy usually are are in a private home, community housing, or in their own homes.

I've been in them all. It's kind of fascinating thing because they all date and get married. Fight and argue like the rest of us.

With Baby Boomers being the biggest generation, this is correct.

Biggest issues is scheduling, staff, transportation, and not meeting their needs, not solving the problems. I had to be on call 24/7 becomes there were ten of us girls maybe, and only two of us knew how to work the equipment. Which made it impossible to have a day off sometimes, because if you have someone in the home who needs to use that equipment, someone needs to show up. And they even sent a taxi to come get me. That's how important it gets.

Most of the time the clients get upset because they are promised service and it's not provided.

While they do their best, you have other companies stealing staff, which than the client gets the loss, because like in my case, they had used two different services, and I worked for one, and the other one came in at the same time, and say we'll pay your more and give you more hours. And when they found this out, they cancelled the services with the client. But they didn't have a contract saying I couldn't quit their company and work for someone else.

The politics in the business stops you from working for two companies, and that can be kind of complex keeping up with staff. I wouldn't personally want to own any of them. I know how to run them, but I've watched the owners be stuck and picking up for staff, and not able to live a life themselves.

You can make money if you do it right, but frankly, you'd have to have some backers for that kind of community financially that is over the top services.

I used to want to own my own AFC Home, until I ran one. Too much work by yourself every day 24/7 and living down stairs, you might get free rent, cable, food, etc, but no social life. And the guy was just a dick not having other staff.

While I love the elderly and hearing their stories. I had fun with them in life, and even learned about Entrepreneurship from some of them. I believe you have to be a the right person to serve the population, and be there for the right reasons.

The whole medical field will evolve in leaps in bounds. I think this is the biggest part is the philanthropists who believe in the projects, and some of them count on grants, donations, and fundraisers.

Other populations are the developmentally disabled, and mentally impaired. They all live in these types of situations and have several different needs, technology, tools, and services. They're all forgotten. There are youth centers, youth programs, and how do you rehab these children to be successful in civilization. Some are recycled through the systems. The training of staff and education isn't always up to par, and they all sit around doing nothing instead of having people work with them. If you could imagine some one taking the time to work with these people every day, their mental, emotional, and physical health would be 100% better. And I wouldn't be surprised may of them walking out of mental health.

40 Million people have anxiety disorder just in America. It would be cheaper for someone to work with them on a regular basis, and get them out of the system. I feel half the crap I learned in my degree was garbage, because most programs are not helping them get out of the systems and living healthy productive lives.

You ever looked at all the non-profits in your community? I had two thick books at home of all the places, and they're trying to provide a service, meeting a need, and philanthropists are their biggest backers in financial support, besides grants, and fundraisers.

I'd talk forever on these subjects. lol

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
One opportunity I see is helping elderly get online and become social online.
I spent the last year of my life in a nursing home for an unfortunate reason.
I was there every single day, 7 days a week.
It was ****ing brutal.
Massive suffering.

One thing I noticed in the nursing home, while they had free WiFi, no one seemed to have a laptop.
A lot of the suffering is from isolation. Loneliness.

It might be interesting to try to develop a laptop for elderly people.
Kind of like how they have cell phones with big buttons.
Have a laptop that out of the box has big fonts, big keys, auto updates.
Maybe preconfigure some elderly people forums, or have a menu pop up asking their interests and then preconfigure websites based on that.

Another idea would be sort of physical skype appliance.
Something beyond easy. Way beyond easy to use. Maybe 1 physical button to let an elderly person call a preset person on skype and see someones face.

Just some ideas. Sorry if I derailed the convo above a little. Not my intention.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Japan has been preparing for the same scenario...

They're working on robots to staff medical/housing centers. Simple things like, bringing food, lifting the heavy chair in the living room, reaching for canned goods in the tall cabinet.

My parents are getting close to retirement age and many of my clients are well into their 60s and 70s.

They all want 2 things:
1. Something to do
In Japan and the Mediterranean there are studies which show that micro movements increase longevity and happiness. Think an Italian farmer checking on his olives a couple times a day. A Japanese family sitting down and getting up from their low lying dining halls.

Those clients are so full of life you wouldn't believe it. They don't need as much sleep as most people and the way they run their businesses outpace most people here.​

2. Human interaction...self explanatory.

Going back to Asia b/c what's going on over there is fascinating, imo.

Japan is building stores with elders in mind. If you ever remember going into Wal-Mart as a kid and heading straight to the toys section. Now think what does an elder need? Pressure monitors, blood tests, adult diapers. The amount of products are endless.

That's the direct to consumer approach. What about other areas?

China is leading research into things like...
Telomeres - These are what essentially causes aging. Your DNA gets shorter and shorter as you age
Gene Therapy - Some studies hint at neuro-degenerative diseases like Parkinsons and Dimentia being linked to genes.
"Immortal animals" - Lobsters for example have a different aging process than we do

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I had a conversation with old lady at the bus stop, today. She basically said that when sidewalks become slipper in winter young people can manage their balance but old fall like a log of wood (her words).

I recalled that i saw a event on youtube that ,synced live, few gyms around the world where old people ware dancing.

Whats so important about them dancing?

The event was an organized by group that help ageing people to train physically so they have better balance and less of chance to falling and ... brake bones. The problem is that when young person falls he/she gets bruises and mostly that's all. For ageing person its more possible to break bones because those bones are a lot weaker.

And healing of broken bones in young and ageing is different, as one can reason.

So, as far as this thread is about entrepreneurship in this market, then one can create fit/gym classes for ageing population.

"Immortal animals" - Lobsters for example have a different aging process than we do
I've read that lobsters die because they are being eaten by humans(since the older they are the bigger they get), not because of ageing.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I've read that lobsters die because they are being eaten by humans(since the older they are the bigger they get), not because of ageing.

Correct, overfishing, disease, natural predators, accidents....

Aging is connected to Telomeres. Every time your cells divide, the ends break off. Lobsters and other crustaceans have a repair mechanism. But as they get older, they encounter other problems.

Getting back to the subject at hand, there's a company offering young blood transfusion. It was observed in mice that injecting young blood into elders reinvigorated their body. The jury is still out on the findings, but it hasn't stopped people:

This startup takes cash from aging adults in exchange for young people’s blood

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
start thinking about this market and how they might be best served.
I had this idea pop into my mind while reading Dan Kennedy's book, Marketing to the Affluent.

"Pass on your life experiences as a certified life coach."

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I'm a senior citizen who still works. Being interested, active, and still learning are the keys to living long and being healthy. I only want things around me that make my life simple and less work. I'm tired of doing all these chores over and over again, to take care of unnecessary trivia and possessions. I don't want more stuff. (I took another car load of good stuff to a charity today.) If it has to be dusted or requires special care, I leave it on the shelf. If it has a monthly or regular fee, I usually don't agree to purchase it. If it takes up too much personal space or precious time, I walk away. Life is too short to be a slave to a complicated lifestyle, or a life stuffed with unimportant things.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm a senior citizen who still works. Being interested, active, and still learning are the keys to living long and being healthy. I only want things around me that make my life simple and less work. I'm tired of doing all these chores over and over again, to take care of unnecessary trivia and possessions. I don't want more stuff. (I took another car load of good stuff to a charity today.) If it has to be dusted or requires special care, I leave it on the shelf. If it has a monthly or regular fee, I usually don't agree to purchase it. If it takes up too much personal space or precious time, I walk away. Life is too short to be a slave to a complicated lifestyle, or a life stuffed with unimportant things.

Great insights. Do you find this common among others of your age group? Thanks for sharing.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Great insights. Do you find this common among others of your age group? Thanks for sharing.
Yes, I do. It's very common for my stage of life. A lot of my friends are down sizing and simplifying by choice. Who are we going to impress? All of my kids are grown and gone -- both families -- my kids and then my step kids. I'm into what is practical -- what works the best with the least amount of effort. I try things and discard anything that is a bother.

For example -- I bought a vacuuming robot for my house. I've used it couple times, BUT everything has be placed a certain way for it to work -- or it gets stuck or lost. Yes, it's top of the line and brand new. After it runs, I still have clean the corners and under the rugs. I have to clean out that annoying little dust bin in it -- that isn't big enough for cleaning my whole house. A broom and a dust pan are easier and faster. And my dust pan dumps into my trash in one easy motion.

I'll try that robot down here at my office and see if it better suited to this space. Otherwise, that bot will find a new home. Someone around me will just love it!

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Think blood is interesting, check this out:

Summary:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmd7-KjE62o
Think blood is interesting, check this out:

Summary:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmd7-KjE62o

Hour long version if you like above:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtL1fEEtLaA

This is pretty cool. We're finally seeing these procedures entering early test phases. For the longest time they were just speculative articles in sci-blogs.

We die of "old age" because of organ failure, compounded by the telomere problem.

There's an interesting development with organ scaffolding. (Which can work for all ages). Basically you have the structure that shapes your heart, for example. You apply your own stem cells to it, and voila. 100% matching body part with 0 chance of rejection by the body.

This is the first thought that came to my mind, with Lex's car analogy. What if you could just swap out your tires. Your air filters...err, lungs.

Forget oxygen tanks or walkers. Whoever makes the mass market breakthrough is looking at the first Trillion dollar company. And I think we'll see it this century.

Scott0268

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Sep 23, 2017
Saratoga New York
Great thread so much opportunity here. My dad recently moved in to a senior living facility that makes it very clear that they don't offer any assistance and if it is needed you have to hire outside companies to help. After spending some time there with he and his new friends there are more opportunities to solve problems than you can imagine. You could start with something as simple as the TV remote that doesn't look like something out of Star Trek. Make something with huge buttons or interactive like Siri. I'm prototyping something to help him get his socks and sneakers on ,huge problem for some of these guys not to mention painful to watch.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I am a former Nurse Aide. I can point you in the right direction. :) This is what would've made my job easier in in-home care.
Number one: Bathing or shower system that is portable, with drainage to give bedridden individuals showers. Sometimes they can't stand up, and like me working by yourself, quite difficult and pain to use a hoyer lift and other devices to stand people up and move them around. While I've done it, very time consuming, and I don't feel like they get very clean like you and me in their homes, when they can't get to a shower or bath in their homes or private homes. I took care of a lot wealthy people, and amazing they didn't have to tools or equipment invented to provide services to them.

You ever washed your hair with crappy Dry shampoo. There needs something better available. I tried it once myself, and feels gross if you can't wash your hair like a normal person.

Laptops that are accessible and easy for elderly to communicate with others, big letters, numbers, and voice access, since they aren't like us and can't figure out how to work a laptop. Sometimes their only way to socialize is the internet. They never get out doors, and lack of visitors.

Music devices that are easily access, same thing they can control that's not complicated.

Audio books for the blind in a new format and devices.

Transportation Services to get out in the world that are affordable, safe, and reliant.

Many of them would love to be involved in the community, but don't have services to get around.

Skin care products are always being improved.

Make up and beauty products for the elderly. Believe it or not, they have no way to get out and shop themselves, and but love looking there best.

They are always in need of a Barber and Beautician coming to their homes, private in-home care.

Spa and Massage services, Mediation, Holistic Health Services for appropriate age and what they can handle to move their bodies around and have natural ways to handle their stress, agitation, anxiety, and handle emotions.

All these services need improvement, and some not available.

Healing Therapeutic Pet Services. I took my puppy to work with me a few times, and the clients I thought would never react or speak, did when the pet was available. It brings them out of their heads.

Most Elderly sit in a recliner or bed all day doing nothing, because there are no recreational activities, or things they can do and not because their not capable, just no one invented ways to keep their mind stimulated. If you study Gerontology, you will see the elderly who are more active, keep their minds stimulated, more social, and when no one is providing services or some kind of activity that they can do by themselves whether games, puzzles, recreational activities, they get lonely, depressed, and withdraw.

You'd have to do some research on different age groups, but I can tell you I took care of three people with the same disorder, and two of them weren't doing well, while one was because I went with with them to a gym, life weights, and had to option available.

Even designing a portable gym the service can transport to people's homes, would help their health, or in the private homes.

I spent nine years watching these people not have anything to do every day, but watch television and fall asleep in their chairs. And if the services, devices, activities were available, they'd probably have a better quality of life.

Remote Control Recliners would be neat with technology implemented. They all buy these to get up and down, and use them the most. You could probably even design them with laptops, music, communication devices, relaxation, massage, and the works. And like I stated, you have wealthy clients who have the money.

They are designing the robots and testing them to keep them company and alert medical if something happens.

The list is endless with the Elderly, they're forgotten most of the time. Even food services going to the house and allowing them to buy groceries, snacks, ice cream, etc would help them.

House cleaning and Yard cleaning services.

Medicine dispensers that only allow the right amount of pills and locks.

Lights and heating safety, alarm systems for gas fumes, fires, and alerting them they forgot to do something with sensors.

There's so much opportunity here.

Wow, you have offered a plethora of great options based on your personal experience.

I like this post, as SinisterLex have brought to our attention, we generally over look our elders, and while we are advancing and evolving with great technology, it is clear that there is no age limit as to where we can extend our services, especially in serving the elder community

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012

I don't see the need for a laptop. A simple tablet with some basic functionalities would probably do. However, I do wonder for how long this will remain a problem. These people will eventually pass away while the baby boom generation is already able to work with current technologies.

These seem to be real issues and will remain so for every aging generation.

Goldstandard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 19, 2017
America
Great Thread. I was just thinking about this. Literally 50 yards from my business they're going to build a retirement apartments complex. That's possibly 100 to 200 units of retired people who have some, limited disposable income. Being in the fitness industry, I'm already thinking about morning classes for Seniors, gentle Yoga and researching fitness products for over 50 generation. Branded Yoga Mats, Branded Water bottles and shakers, Branded dumbbells in lower weights like 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 pound increments. Etc.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Great Thread. I was just thinking about this. Literally 50 yards from my business they're going to build a retirement apartments complex. That's possibly 100 to 200 units of retired people who have some, limited disposable income. Being in the fitness industry, I'm already thinking about morning classes for Seniors, gentle Yoga and researching fitness products for over 50 generation. Branded Yoga Mats, Branded Water bottles and shakers, Branded dumbbells in lower weights like 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 pound increments. Etc.

Are you already open in the mornings or would you need to open earlier?

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Old people homes have been going up like crazy in my neck of the woods. A shift is happening.

Mattress stores have also been going up like crazy. Old people need a comfy bed. Makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The only thing about touch pads and tablets with those who have disabilities is they don't have steady hands and any bump can flip the page. Although I'm sure they probably are working on systems, that are handicap accessible.

Grenade7

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The only thing about touch pads and tablets with those who have disabilities is they don't have steady hands and any bump can flip the page. Although I'm sure they probably are working on systems, that are handicap accessible.
This may not be that new, but they're already building technology to counter shaky hands into spoons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I took an fitness class for seniors at our center. We each used a chair to hold on to, and stretchy bands for resistance. It was taught by a lady in her upper 70s. It was fun and easy for me. (I work out anyway at home and at our public pool.) I just went for the socialization aspects.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I don't see the need for a laptop. A simple tablet with some basic functionalities would probably do. However, I do wonder for how long this will remain a problem.

Except they don't understand the keyboard (plenty who were never exposed to typewriters) let alone the tablet, distrust computers) my grandmother was a typist so can read emails, but how arthritis means she can't type, so has to use dictation software to email people. Struggles with skype(can answer if switched in but otherwise hard,can't hear well without the video(can lip read a little,so Skype beats calls, but won't even call a mobile phone number( doesn't trust the lack of an area code)

Did have a mobile phone for emergencies but never turned them on(there was no emergency, so didn't need to call anyone)it's an emergency they have, not to be contacted in an emergency. We couldn't get through to then to say about family in hospital, because they were not at home. Then they couldn't call for help, because they didn't know the phone company and gone bust (Well, if all there customers, never used their phones, I'm not suprised)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.