The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Poll] Can Video Games Be A Training Ground for Entrepreneurs?

Can games improve business skills?

• Total voters

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I have a theory...

That games (especially first person shooter games) are a good training ground for biz skills.

There are several things I about games that I believe help develop skills that lend themselves to Entrepreneurs:

- They teach you to think out of the box. In my experience the obvious route in games is seldom the correct one. Only by looking at problems sideways can you see the real solution.

- They teach you that failing is not that big a deal. No one like to fail but if you are going to win the game you have to figure out what doesn't work. When you "fail" you've just learned how not to do something and it's time to try something else.

- It teaches focus. If you've ever played many games undoubtedly you've played one that has so captured your imagination that even when not playing it your brain keeps bouncing back with possible new ways to approach a problem

So that's my theory - that being said the down side to games is They produce nothing meaningful. While I believe games can teach lessons they are also a huge time sink that results in nothing lasting which is why I haven't become involved with any games in years. My new game is online biz and I keep score with $$$s.

So what do you think - can games make you a better Entrepreneur?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ha, I voted NO but honestly, I wanted to vote YES and NO.

I agree with your sentiments above but unfortunately, a lot of people aren't leveraging these skills in the real world; they are misused for more games and more fantasy victories.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Ha, I voted NO but honestly, I wanted to vote YES and NO.

I agree with your sentiments above but unfortunately, a lot of people aren't leveraging these skills in the real world; they are misused for more games and more fantasy victories.

I do agree that on a whole most people will never see any benefit from playing games. That percentage probably is just a reflection anything society does as a whole.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I feel they teach skills but not in an optimal way. I don't know how to explain it well but it's like going to school for the sole purpose of learning - you will learn some useful things, but you will waste a lot of time compared to learning it yourself.

D

DeletedUser394

I remember reading once that some woman became a millionaire by playing Second Life (or one of those games).

I also voted 'no'. While it may be true that they may teach what you say, there are probably dozens of better and more productive ways to learn/acquire the skills mentioned.

I'm not saying that video games are bad (I seldom play them, and don't own any console), but most people do not play them with the intention of improving in other aspects of real life... The majority of people that I know do so to escape the real world and their problems.

Interesting/Useless Side fact: It's common practice in top mma gyms, that coaches make their fighters play video games to improve their reaction times.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I am fairly on board with most of the responses.

I voted no as well, but I DO agree with you that they do provide critical thinking skills, problem solving, etc.

The problem is that there is no consequence for failing so people don't actually overcome that fear in the "real world".

In my humble opinion, there are so many brilliant, skillful computer nerds who are scared of their own shadow when it comes to running out with a gun against terrorists in real life (this is only a metaphor obviously).

I don't think they believe that there is a "reset" button to life - where as successful people physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and in relationships understand that you can re-invent yourself at any point.

Sorry - I'd be a little more clear but I have to get back to work, the school is waaaaayyyy busy this month. So get the video gamers to come deal with all my new students and then they will learn those skills first hand =)

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
I know some famous Youtube personalities who make a living as "gamers". And with their will power to grind away at mundane leveling characters and building up the best characters, they would make great entrepreneurs. They are creative and have the drive to make things happen, the one thing they are missing is the desire to turn that skill into wealth. If anyone knows about AtheneWins, and SwiftyIRL (youtube gamer personality) you will see that they are natural leaders, and are passionate about what they do. AtheneWins is actually leading a big movement on YouTube and he's teaching tons of people how to be successful on YouTube as well as at the "gaimz". He could be rich and he often says it in his videos, but then goes "It's not about the money, its about the gaimz and the community."

If they were to just direct that energy at the right thing they would could literally become millionaires over-night. They have huge audiences following them and they have the ability to do a lot, but they choose to focus all their energy into playing games, making videos, and entertaining their audience.

One of the ideas I had was actually a guide for gamers on how to use their gaming passion to channel it into entrepreneurship, which in my opinion is somewhat similar. I used to be passionate about gaming but I channeled it towards entrepreneurship.

I think gaming CAN definitely teach you how to be an entrepreneur. My friend David used to play Diablo 2 and he was selling items back in the day, and he learned a lot about business from that game and I watched him without even realizing that he was being an entrepreneur (don't think he realized it either).. But it was just a natural thing that happened from playing the game, part of the fun was trading and haggling and getting the best equipment.

Ok rant complete. (I think I'm just wasting time now...)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think that games are worthless to entrepreneurship but sometimes playing a little call of duty or grand theft auto is fun just like going to dinner or watching a movie.

I voted no and usually spend maybe a few hours per year playing video games.

MediaMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2011
I vote for yes, they can improve entrepreneurial skills. But I also agree with the sentiment that most people will not apply the skills that they gain from videogames towards real life.

My favorite type of games are strategy games and rpgs. They challenge you to think about how you want to play the games and what strategy would be the most effective. They challenge and improve your critical thinking, which is useful for business as I believe that business is a thinking man's game.

I disagree that videogames are slowlane, I think that is a stereotype. In addition to being able to improve people's critical thinking ability, there are also a lot of potential for huge business opportunities in the gaming industry. To say that people who like to play games are slowlane is a huge stereotyping statement.

West

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 6, 2010
California
the one thing they are missing is the desire to turn that skill into wealth

I voted no for this reason. Athene has said in one of his videos that hes not in it for the money and I believe him.

On a related note, Sean Parker once said in an interview that he forced himself to quit video games because he was a addicted to them and he knew they would distract him from his entrepreneurial goals. I agree with him.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
It's easy for Athene to say he doesn't care about money when he makes hundreds of dollars per 5-minute video... ($2,50/1000 views)

RazvanRogoz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 18, 2011
Romania
That depends.

Are you looking for a justification (or it's called rationalization) to play video games?

No, video games won't make you a better entrepreneur. Playing Civilization 3 won't make you a better manager.

I've played WoW some time ago. I was a guild leader or something like that. Yes, it required some kind of management. But when it came to managing actual people, who were motivated by real money (and not raid items), things changed.

There are a lot of serious games there, especially tycoons. Again, they are not a good representation (even a simplified one) of reality.

HOWEVER ...

Games help in a few areas as far as I know.
-> They can improve reflexes.
-> Improves long-term memory.
-> Stress reduction.

But in the end, games are games and gamers are gamers.

Stephen King was an alcoholic. He found every possible justification for this. In the end, he concluded that it doesn't matter if you are a multi-million dollar writer or a homeless person, you are still throwing your guts out after you drink too much.

The same about games. If you are more focused on playing games than <insert something better here>, it doesn't matter what kind of logical justifications you find to gaming ... you are still addicted to it.

And this comes from a person that played every major title from 2001 to 2006 and owned four consoles.

Gaming is generally bad, unless in small doses. If you spend 10 hours a day playing Call of Duty, you have just lost 10 hours of your life. It doesn't matter if you learn team skills.

The only way in which gaming 10 hours a day (or even a week) can be justified is if you create a guide and then sell it on CB.

(World of Warcraft gold guides sold in the area of 8 figures.)

MediaMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2011
I disagree that videogames can't help you become a good entrepreneur. Videogames can help you improve skills such as strategy, resource management, and critical thinking, which are valuable skills to have when doing business. Of course, most people won't take these skills that they can learn and apply it to the real world.

I'm not saying that anybody can just play games all day long and suddenly turn into Bill Gates. Nobody can just be a good entrepreneur by just playing videogames. Becoming a good entrepreneur is a complex process with a complex formula, but playing videogames can help that equation by taking skills learned from games and applying it into the real world. So games can help in a way, but other parts of the formula needs to be there too.

Don't get me wrong, most games are mainly just for entertainment, and most people will only use games for entertainment. But anybody who's savvy and open minded enough can take skills and strategy learned from games and apply it to business.

Civilization 3 was mentioned before, I played this game and other strategy games and they actually taught me resource management and critical thinking. This is why strategy games are my favorite. And once again, while I can't be a good manager just by playing civilization 3, it can help some aspects.

I'm just strongly against the stereotypical sentiment that games are nothing but a waste of time and signs of a sidewalker. I think that's just a massive stereotype to say that people who enjoying spending their time playing games are likely to not be successful. People do get addicted to games, but as with anything in life, it just needs moderation. Not only that, but there are a lot of big business opportunities in the gaming industry. I actually plan on having a business working with the gaming industry, and I would have never thought of it if I was a gamer myself.

RazvanRogoz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 18, 2011
Romania
OK ...

Can someone like gaming to actual increase in performance?

Forget about "can increase". Does anyone used gaming to improve results in a quantifiable way?

I'm not talking about opportunities and big words in the sky. I'm talking about actual results.

Results as in "reading this book increased increased my close ratio by 50%" or "going to this seminar helped me create a device that increased my revenue by $5000".

Does anyone have something along the lines "Playing Civilization 3 helped me increase my income from $5000 to $7000?"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.