The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Plant-Based Opportunities / Vegan Business Opportunities

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
Few years ago, there was a great success story in Germany: Attila Hildmann - he made vegan cookbooks, worked out & lost weight, made vegan products and books (Vegan for Youth, Vegan To Go, Vegan For Fit, ...). He was very successful, became rich and bought a Porsche. I don't know how people got to know this, but I remember a real big shitstorm started. Really, it was everywhere, facebook, magazines, ..., and his vegan fans critized him very harshly. Reason: Porsche uses leather seats. It was just last week, I wondered about the sentence "As soon as you succeed, you can do everything" ... in this case, i think, it's problematic, since the target group is extremely idealistic. It seems problematic driving such cars in the public, wearing fur or leather, ... without damage of his image.

I'm surprised the thread started in 2016, i thought the peak is over. Maybe I'm wrong, though! The idea with the milkshakes sounds really great!

Last edited:

SammyGlick

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Dec 15, 2017
London
If one applies the old 'in a gold rush, sell shovels' perspective then perhaps there would be opportunity in creating a business to serve the entrepreneurs who are trying to sell to vegans.

As others have alluded to in this thread, vegans are a demanding customer segment. It might not be enough that what you make is free from any animal products; you may also need to demonstrate a high level of environmental responsibility.

For example perhaps there would be a business in creating a shipping fulfilment company for vegan products that can provide 100% recycled packaging, is powered entirely with energy from renewable sources etc.

It also strikes me that for many entrepreneurs the opportunity might not be creating products specifically for vegans but making your existing products appealing to vegans.

For example in the UK, the Vegan Society allows products that meet their criteria to feature a 'vegan approved' badge on their packaging. I expect that many entrepreneurs could take steps to fulfil these criteria and turn vegans into passionate customers and brand advocates.

In fact this is one of the strategies that MJ describes in 'Unscripted '...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Porsche uses leather seats. It was just last week, I wondered about the sentence "As soon as you succeed, you can do everything" ... in this case, i think, it's problematic, since the target group is extremely idealistic. It seems problematic driving such cars in the public, wearing fur or leather, ... without damage of his image.

"You can do everything..."

True, but as your story proves, there are ramifications on "doing everything" especially if it conflicts with your personal brand and your advertised purpose. Since a significant part of Veganism is about animal welfare, he contradicted his own brand. The actions revealed a real purpose in conflict with the branded one. Only Al Gore and other private-jet-owning environmentalists can get away with such a glaring hypocrisy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
So much so, that I stopped eating meat at the end of the summer. (That's a pretty big change for me.)

But where do you get your protein?!?

Haha! I'm kidding.

I was vegetarian for 26 years. Got asked that ALL THE TIME.

Reminds me of the "what kinda gas mileage does it get?" with an expensive car.

Annoying.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

I'm a half a year into going meatless and now that I'm immersed in this dietary lifestyle, DAMN! It is GROWING fast. (Heck if a meat guy like myself who mentions "steak" multiple times in his books can shift, I imagine less stubborn people like me will to. And I'm one stubborn MOFO.)

That said, the establishments that cater to this growing group are making money hand over fist.

I mentioned this in another thread...

FRC - Flower Child - Healthy Food for a Happy World

This place is jam packed, every minute of the day. And their meals are pretty damn expensive. While not Vegan, it is Paleo/Vegan/Healthy which is a huge growing group as it many folks are onto the BIG-AG / BIG-PHARM / BIG-HEALTH scam.

I've also noticed some of my favorite Vegan foods are always in short supply at the store, IOW, sold out.

I've also notice a lot of "vegan" option popping up at restaurants.

Then of course, there's the opportunity of VEGAN junk food, the comfort foods that post the greatest difficulty in the switch.

Things like fake cheese (I've found some that taste and feel exactly like the real stuff) pizza, and of course, cookie dough.

IMG_0174.JPG

Yum!

Of course the opps aren't in just the vegan options themselves, but serving the industry with support.

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
"Vegan" in terms of lifestyle except food will be the norm within 5-10 years.
In the cosmetic industry everyone is doing major shifts into "Vegan" products and I can definitely see the vegan food scene growing bigger and bigger. Although being Italian is nearly impossible be Vegan :D

I do keto and It's a growing movement too, i think that niche is a good one too

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
@MJ DeMarco, just a small story that came up in mind:

My girlfriend's vegan, and she also happens to have read Unscripted and follow you on Instagram. There's this feed where you see the activity of people you follow.

instagram-friends-feed.png

A couple of days ago she handed me her phone. Your profile was all over the place, liking and following all these vegetarian/vegan accounts.

"I didn't know he was THAT sensible" she said ;)

It's fun to keep seeing "normal" people -- you know, those who aren't the stereotypical hippie -- get immersed in it.

---

I was actually thinking about this thread earlier today!

Lots of needs and opportunities in this area, and many vegans are die-hard evangelists who participate in vegan communities/facebook groups etc. And they love to share new products & review them. Food, drinks, clothing, shoes.

It would be hard NOT to get some organic traction when launching a vegan product.

Pull > Push

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
I love the idea of going vegan - as dairy is not supposed to be good for us due to its ability to increase mucus, cause digestive problems, etc.

I also love the fact that by going vegan we aren't killing animals. I have been thinking about going vegan, however, the problem is that many of the vegan "fake meat" substitues are LOADED with sodium.. I don't mind the taste, but that much sodium isn't good for us.

Now, if they could come out with vegan pattys that taste good, that aren't totally high in SODIUM that would be a great business right there!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The best opportunity thus far I've seen is...

Allen's Meat

"I didn't know he was THAT sensible"

If sensible means NO BOX of political thought can contain me, then yes, I'm sensible.

I have been thinking about going vegan, however, the problem is that many of the vegan "fake meat" substitues are LOADED with sodium.. I don't mind the taste, but that much sodium isn't good for us.

Eventually your cravings for this stuff will die down and you'll crave fruits/veggies and healthier replacements.

Also, I'm gonna guess that a slightly increased sodium intake in lieu of no more dairy and meat will be a net gain for your health.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
I love the idea of going vegan - as dairy is not supposed to be good for us due to its ability to increase mucus, cause digestive problems, etc.

I also love the fact that by going vegan we aren't killing animals. I have been thinking about going vegan, however, the problem is that many of the vegan "fake meat" substitues are LOADED with sodium.. I don't mind the taste, but that much sodium isn't good for us.

Now, if they could come out with vegan pattys that taste good, that aren't totally high in SODIUM that would be a great business right there!
If you want some next level stuff watch this:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Eventually your cravings for this stuff will die down and you'll crave fruits/veggies and healthier replacements.

Also, I'm gonna guess that a slightly increased sodium intake in lieu of no more dairy and meat will be a net gain for your health.

Totally Agree-- Been a vegetarian since I was 11 (so 13 years) and been vegan (for the most part) for 4 years. The cravings go away for sure, but I've also found that the high sodium fake meats are typically vegetarian, not vegan.

When I went Vegetarian, I gained 50 pounds over the course of 5 years because it's easy to be unhealthy while vegetarian because I just replaced all my meat with dairy.

When I went vegan I lost all my extra weight and more within 2 years- I solely credit that to the fact being vegan really kinda forces you into eating whole, healthier foods--even the faux meats, cheese, and the like are still healthier than the non-vegan alternative for the most part

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Totally Agree-- Been a vegetarian since I was 11 (so 13 years) and been vegan (for the most part) for 4 years. The cravings go away for sure, but I've also found that the high sodium fake meats are typically vegetarian, not vegan.

When I went Vegetarian, I gained 50 pounds over the course of 5 years because it's easy to be unhealthy while vegetarian because I just replaced all my meat with dairy.

When I went vegan I lost all my extra weight and more within 2 years- I solely credit that to the fact being vegan really kinda forces you into eating whole, healthier foods--even the faux meats, cheese, and the like are still healthier than the non-vegan alternative for the most part

I have no problem with the craving of meat. I could do without it. I just want to get in a certain amount of protein everyday. I wouldn't go completely vegan because I would still consume eggs. So, I have eggs, and protein shakes (plant-based protein) for my protein.. to fill in the rest of the protein- I was going to go with fake meat substitutes from Gardein or Beyond Chicken/Beef. But, the sodium is SO MUCH higher compared to eating say grilled chicken. So, is it really healthier to have a higher than normal sodium intake and be vegan vs being a meat eater with a lower level of sodium? Maybe you're right MJ, I don't knpw.

I do respect the hell out of vegans, and I ideally would like to make the switch. I just fear that knowing my diet I will consume the fake meat 2x a day, and looking at the nutrition labels it would bring my sodium intake to a higher level.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Goldstandard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 19, 2017
America
A vegan Pizza Chain. Franchised. One model store. Simple. There's a trillion Dollars out there to invest and just like "normal" pizza chains, there's room for a few of these Vegan Pizza Chains. Think Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, Papa Murphys, Little Ceasers. I'm already working on a Business plan. After that, the Recipes/Menu. Then the Theme.

Most Vegan Eateries that you go into seem...amateur..thrown together, not super clean/slick or modern. Or they're too varied in menu and focus.

NC_Carlos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 19, 2017
Somewhere in the Matrix
Vegan here and I can tell you there is massive opportunity. I'm always looking for "Vegan" Pizza. That's a huge opportunity right there.

It was thinking the same thing. Although I am more a vegetarian we have pretty much cut out all dairy. The only thing stopping me from being a vegan is eggs (which I only eat on the weekends).

Anyways, back to the opportunity. We made home made vegan pizzas just to try it out and I mentioned to my wife "I wonder if we could get a good vegan pizza somewhere?". It does sound like there are opportunities.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A vegan Pizza Chain.

Excellent idea. I've been getting my pizza fix by just eating the pizza without cheese. For some reason the cheese alternatives gross me out, no matter if it's coconut or cashew based. Interesting though, real cheese should gross me out more, after all it is a solidified cow excretion.

The closes thing to this around here is Picazzos.

http://www.picazzos.com/

NC_Carlos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 19, 2017
Somewhere in the Matrix
Excellent idea. I've been getting my pizza fix by just eating the pizza without cheese

When we did our home made vegan pizzas we didn't use a cheese alternative. It grossed me out thinking about it. And I was fighting with my brain about how a pizza is not a pizza without cheese. Surprisingly the pizza was great without the cheese.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Some of the best pizzas are stone fired, olive oil dabbed white pizzas with an assortment of nice veggies.

Fake cheese is still a bit too off putting for me, although I have had soy cheese on a pizza (a big chain here in Canada uses it), and while not as good texture wise, it is not completely unedible

Goldstandard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 19, 2017
America
It was thinking the same thing. Although I am more a vegetarian we have pretty much cut out all dairy. The only thing stopping me from being a vegan is eggs (which I only eat on the weekends).

Anyways, back to the opportunity. We made home made vegan pizzas just to try it out and I mentioned to my wife "I wonder if we could get a good vegan pizza somewhere?". It does sound like there are opportunities.

It's a matter of finding some like minded collaborators to get it going. If I could just open one and then get Marcus L to do a show on it! LOL

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
cruelty-free.png

^Coming from a friend of mine, where she has been vegan for many years.

"There should be..."

Basically, what she is referencing is that a lot of household items are tested on animals (soaps, shampoos, shaving creams, sun screen, dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, etc.) - and whole the 'is it vegan app' connects with foods that people buy, she says she can't find one that she can bring out at the store when it comes to shopping for the other items.

I'm not sure if one exists (it might), but if not - this is something a lot of vegans would use.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I'm really into Eastern Spirituality specially Hinduism. I'm starting a blog revolving around spirituality in modern day. Which will include many topics on vegetarianism.

Back to the topic everyone knows Hindus for the most part are vegetarian. Most vegans/vegetarian actually become vegans for moralistic purposes. They don't see vegan as just a fad or something to try out. They see as a spiritual act. So you will see many who defend the animals like they are family. They believe that if you cause harm to a living been that bad energy will be spread to everyone. Secondly you can't expect peace upon your life is you cause suffering upon another living being. Animals have souls too. Another aspect of Eastern philosophy is minimalism and vegan is the way to go. Why consume more than you should if you can live and thrive on a plant based diet?

Leaving morality aside there are many reasons by vegan is actually an ideal diet for humans.

When an animal is killed adrenaline is released into its body. Why would you consume the chemicals of another animal?

Modern day meat is filled with many artificial chemicals such as antibiotics.

It's faster to grow a plant than an animal.

You don't pollute the environment as a vegan like meat eaters do. Animal waste is a big problem. Apparently cows farting are causing a big spike in CO2 levels rising.

A human colon is longer than carnivores that digest meat fast as oppose to humans that digest meat slowly thus causing digestive problems.

As a disclaimer I am not vegan nor vegetarian but I'm working on it. The reasons I'm not vegan is because there are not many options on the market for vegetarian food. For example a vegan can't even go to McDonald's and order fries because they are cooked in animal fat. Another reason is because most vegan food that fast food chains label as vegan taste like shit.

If there was a selection of many vegetarian restaurants in my area I would eat there everyday and go full vegan. Just like myself I'm sure there are many people who would become vegans if more choices were given to them. So yes there is a big market for vegan products. I know it will only continue to grow as people become aware of how harmful meat is. As I was writing this post I had the idea that I might as well go back to school to become a vegan chef.

Bennu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Apr 19, 2018
I went plant based not due to any ideology or morality, but because I have diabetes. I tried keto, low carb, slow carb, and other diets, but so far this one has the best combination of keeping my glucose low, reducing my need for medication, fitting my current budget, and just how I feel overall. It gives me far more energy and mental clarity than any of the other things I've tried, and that gives me more fuel for the fast lane!

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I was thinking a vegan version of BoldandDetermined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
Don't say I didn't tell you!

Where’s the beef? Why your favorite burger chains are going vegetarian

And demand isn't going to go away.

Most people who go plant-based (usually due to animal cruelty reasons and/or health) tend to stay there. They don't go back.

Ohh the jokes man, "Once you go Veg..." :D
I agree with you, I'm studying at the moment a cricket flavour company and their vision in the future is blowing my mind.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Don't say I didn't tell you!

Where’s the beef? Why your favorite burger chains are going vegetarian

And demand isn't going to go away.

Most people who go plant-based (usually due to animal cruelty reasons and/or health) tend to stay there. They don't go back.
A Swedish fast food chain is going heavy on vegan food and they seem to succeed with it. In a couple of months they'll even roll out vegan milkshakes and other desserts.

They have realized that not all vegan food needs to be raw, ultra-healthy and seasoned with some weird, oriental stuff that makes everything taste like falafel. (Which I often experience is the case with some restaurants and convenience food. At least locally.)

It can taste pretty normal, and be an alternative even for non-vegans.

Max_Greenfamiljen-Gruppbild_liggande-low.jpg

What I noticed with both this chain, and McDonald's who recently rolled out a vegan alternative, is that they're using meat substitutes from third party brands. This could perhaps be something to do. Sell shovels for established brands who are looking to get a piece of the vegan market.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The reasons I'm not vegan is because there are not many options on the market for vegetarian food.

This is changing fast.

I've been able to find everything that I once loved, from cheeseburgers to pizza to cheese.

The "alternatives" have really improved. Interestingly though, I stopped craving a lot of that stuff.

I wish I could invest in the Beyond Burger company -- they make some really tasty stuff.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.