The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Passive Income Robot - Death of Gurus

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Would love to hear what people think about this if anyone watches / has watched the movie.

Ok, I'm late to the game. Sorry.

Love all your posts Lex. But, I have to say - yes, have to - that I absolutely hated this movie.

The story sucked, the acting sucked, it dragged on and on, and above all of that, it managed to touch that raw nerve of what makes some people hate millennials. Not all of them, of course. Just the ones that have to absorb a never ending stream of knowledge every minute of the day and think that they're brilliant for doing it. Take away their smart phones and see if they can function for over an hour without curling into a fetal position. Uh, huh.

Over exaggerated, I know, but you get the point. I hope. How many people want to live with a Jeopardy contestant that knows the names of every supreme court justice, and has a favorite one? Who cares? (assuming you're NOT in the law profession) There was a movie with Sandra Bullock in which she did actually know all of that, and had her favorite. She played the role well, and it was funny. In real life, kind of sickening. That's this move. Sickening. It came close to being a never ending video game. Just faster and faster, and more meaningless as it went on. Some thrive on that. Not me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Lol just came across this. Adam Khoo? This guy is well known in yours truly's country as a "guru". His dad had connections and pumped in millions into his business to help him make his first million lol. Not only that, the guy already has connections with politicians due to his family background. This sort of advantage is not available to most people out there.
Agreed.

Adam Khoo mentioned in one of his books that his parents got a recommendation from some minister to have Adam to go for an NLP course, to change his lazy ways.

According to his blog, he claimed that he didn't get money from his father to start the biz... he went 'door to door' teaching for free and struggling to get books published.

I still felt unsure even then.

That being said, I'll give him credit for at least making something out of his extra help. Some people do nothing but burn capital and resources.

Another fun fact.

Not a few of the kids that came to my batch's seminar were actually repeat kids.

That means those kids came before, somehow failed to apply the mind map methods taught, and their parents were desperate enough to pay another ransom to have come back.

I tried Adam Khoo's Mindmap techniques to study and make notes after the seminar.

Didn't work well.

So I just leapt into exercises, learned from mistakes, read through answer manuals and did well.

For me, I would very much like to say that mindmaps for study are effective.

But it was an action-fake. Why waste an hour carefully painting colourful mindmaps, when I can just use it in actual practice for studies?

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Tony Tong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 9, 2018
Singapore

As someone who dabbles in coaching, both as a coach and a coach's writer, I pay attention to the industry. Every day a new coach pops up from out of nowhere to sell their digital course.

Facebook Ads lead to a webinar that shows the Simple 5-Step System to become a passive income coach earning $10,000+ per student. So they spend $10,000 and learn the system. How to sell their course using that exact system.

During the training they build a course they probably didn't have in mind when they started. It's based on passions, or for faster automation, dub yourself a "Business Coach" and call it a day. Hell, even use the material from the course you're in to build your course. You already know people want that..

Now it's done. Course ready. Webinar ready. Opt-in and Sales pages ready ready. Facebook Ads launch in t-minus 3..2..1..blastoff. Soon the new coach has a growing email list. Earns a few sales. Increases Facebook budget. Hires a copywriter. Sets up a 7-series email sequence for the next launch. This time it's virtually automated, and that's when things go sour..

Passive Income Robot

There's something nasty happening in the guru world. Most gurus haven't noticed. In mimicking each other, and creating these passive systems, they failed to consider one essential aspect of the human experience.

Humans want to connect.

As soon as you enter the coaching world you get the FB ads. They all look the same. They all use the same headlines and sob stories. The webinars are designed the same. The course material is virtually the same. The email sequences (because they don't want to stray from the knawledge of their $10,000 course) are the same.

At first it works. Some coaches make money. Some have made money for many years (even passively). But now it's backfiring, because what the coach actually cares about has become painfully obvious to the student on the other side of the screen.

Gurus care about building a passive
income for themselves with your
money.
Not all gurus are bad. Some have valuable insights, and some really are worth the price. Problem is, they're using the same "passive" system as everybody else, and people are starting to notice.

Recently a coach I know launched a passive income course. Her insights are worth the money, but the process was flawed. Same process as every other coach I've ever worked with.

She has a lot of credibility and a huge email list. But on launch.. the course fell flat. Barely any sales. Suddenly her passive income system wasn't so passive anymore. When you got bills to pay, and you make less sales than expected..you end up scrambling to keep your lights on.

So the guru turns back to their inner circle of gurus and asks, "what's gives?"
The responses they get are all over the place..

• Your passions weren't clear enough, people couldn't feel it
• Your spiritual vibes weren't high enough, you need to raise them
• Where are they dropping out in your funnel, look there..
• You didn't dig deep enough into their pain points
• You need to retarget your market
• You need to make your emails way shorter
• You need to spend more on Facebook Ads
• You need to take another course to help you learn X

What never gets addressed is the part about human connection.

In their attempts to automate the process, (a process they didn't create and don't fully understand) they've turned themselves into passive income robots who place higher value on money than people.

Problem is, their people notice.

As much as we sometimes disagree, humans are social animals. We long for relationships. We want to share with each other and be part of each other's lives. Even the deepest introvert seeks connection and relationships in some form.

But today all we get is more automation. When all you care about is automation, you start to look automated. You feel like a robot to your people. You lose the connection. When that happens, people go elsewhere, and that's why modern gurus are in big trouble.

Anyway, the purpose of this isn't to bask in the downfall of gurus. Quite the opposite. It's to reveal opportunity. The gurus who will rise and do well over the next decade are those who realize (now) it's time to find new ways to create deeper experiences of connection with their audience.

The reason I'm writing this on the Fastlane Forum is because it doesn't just apply to gurus. It applies in any industry where automation occurs. Today we can buy anything we want pretty much anytime anywhere. So why should I ( a customer) buy from someone who doesn't offer me a connected experience?

Passive income is a worthwhile goal, but it doesn't happen apart from people, and it's not just about delivering "value" anymore. In this internal world, a world where we seek to automate everything, a new challenge has arisen. How do you go beyond solving a simple problem..

..and how will you connect?

I don't have answers (beyond my own processes). Just noting an observation that might prove invaluable for your business very soon. There's the way business was done in the past, and the way it will be done tomorrow. What does that mean for you, how will you connect, and how will you survive? Something worth considering as our species marches on.

Thoughts?

This is a very interesting tension, between automation and the need to build a human connection.

As a web developer, I feel the conflict between systemizing things, and the desire to be treated differently from everyone else when using any web app.

While not a foolproof solution, one thing that Brain.fm (an AI meditation music) app is that they plaster randomised timeless quotes on their music player while playing the meditation music. While I know is it random and can recognise them on and off, I still feel somewhat connected as I know the message was not hard-coded - it felt like there was some divine meaning in why I got to see that message today, and to me that's connection. Slack does this too.

I think many apps gamify too as a means for connection. Forest App grows trees when you stop using social media, so as a user you can feel "progress" and a close bond to the app when you see your actions impacting the app uniquely.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Resurfacing this for people that need to read it.

See how bad it was in 2017 and have a look at how it is now. A world of gurus.

Also, for 3 small payments of 2999.99 I can share with you more in depth knowledge I gathered from thefastlaneforum.com :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.