The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Parents Whatdya Think?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One of my unexecuted "million dollar" ideas was not day care, but night care. Instead of opening at 5am, the "night care" center would open at 2pm to 1am and would target 3 subgroups:

1) Married couples who want a break (PARENTS NIGHT OUT!)
2) Parents with evening jobs
3) Parents with evening classes.

I envisioned a center with beds and live internet feeds so parents could "check in" on their child via mobile phone or web app.

This would then be turned "Fastlane" by replication through the sale of Franchises.

Obviously, I never pursued but I think the idea may have validity ... parents whatdya think?

EDIT: Actually going to start a new thread with this ...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 9, 2008
It would be helpful for parents that both work nights. One thing you would have to look into would be how to do price/ paying. If you can have pay by the hour for the parents going night school and the night out parents I think more would go for it. Right now most day cares are pay by the week if you child is there or not.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
So, the kids would have to be awakened at 1AM to be taken home...

That does not sound very attractive.

Maybe a 6pm - 6am might be more attractive.

The parents night out would not be every day, so that market would only be once a week or so. If daycare is anything like school, your bread and butter are those kids that come 5x per week.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
My sister is actually have tons of problems because she is a manager at a food chain and she cannot find anyone to babysit her little girl. She routinely uses family and friends and would absolutely love a place like that.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
The thing is MANY shifts are like 2-10 or similar, such as in the food industry while closing. 6:00 PM - XX shifts are much more rare.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Why not just make it 24/7?

I like the idea. It does seem there is a need for day care that isn't just 5-5. I really like the idea of monitors and internet/remote access.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
My ex wife is in the daycare business and she often hosted Sleepovers and parents night out. she stopped because she couldn't work 24/7.
I also dated a woman who used the service like that so I know they exist already. She told me it was the only center that was open that late.

It's not as lucrative though because most people can find relatives and friends to sit during those hours. I trade time with a few friends that have kids. They go out and I watch their kids and vice versa.

I think the 24/7 idea may be more feasible. The idea seems a little too niche for a Brick and mortar business.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I think its a great idea also. would be great for people also who move to a new place and dont yet know people to watch their kids also...

I had a thought on something simular. a sick kid care center. typically when a kid is sick they have to stay home from school an regular daycare. ssometimes they arent very very sick just a lil bit and the parents would have to take off work normally. im sure there could be a segragated area for those lil ones that are under the weather.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think single moms really could benefit from the service and I'd bet that such a service would be eligible for a government grant since it involves "health and human services" -- you know our government loves "programs".

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I definitely don't want to turn this into a gender debate, but one of the fastest growing groups today is single fathers. Hint. Hint. :smxB:

EDIT: "Hint. Hint." meaning, smell the opportunities.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I like this idea and would have used it back when I needed it. I agree a 24/7 facility is the best option. It gives parents better options. Consider also then, having a maximum hours a day that a child could be there, or some of your workers may become parents, unknowingly, LOL.

Don't overlook the possibility of some type of a co-op with the parent(s). I realize you would have to have a "certified" individual there 24/7 but the parents who use the facility could also put in time working at the facility. This can create a family environment as well as increase the comfort of feeling more secure for both the parents and the kids.

We did this to cover a number of ice-rink "jobs". It fulfilled a need to have shifts covered as well as helped those who were less capable financially (trading time worked for facility use). Keep in mind you have to work many more hours to "pay" than if you just pay upfront. And there was always a monetary cost somewhere... like a registration fee, just a reduced rate or something that insured the facility had at least some money coming in from all users.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
There is a market for this, for sure. There is a Parents night out once a month over here, we love it, but it only opens from 5 to 9 pm so we can maybe go to a movie or for dinner, nothing else. I think they charge $25 for two kids for that time.

The concern I'd have with this idea is, parents that need the service are not, in general, too affluent, so the "government program" part of it would be really needed so your rates are affordable. Or at least that is my perception of this one.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
... parents that need the service are not, in general, too affluent, so the "government program" part of it would be really needed so your rates are affordable. Or at least that is my perception of this one.
I'm not so sure about that, Andres. I would think it is a program that would be great for anyone!

And I've always thot it was a good idea. A few years ago when Bobo and I discussed the possibility of having children, he had to remind me that they can't just be kenneled when we wanted to travel abroad!! LOL. My first thot was, "Why not?" Okay, maybe the maternal gene doesn't run too deep here. But I seriously thought/think that there should be some sort of service available for evening care, and the occasional overnight.

We are a much more transient society now. We also tend to get married and start families later than generations past. As such, there are far fewer people with family members around to help in these situations.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I think single moms really could benefit from the service and I'd bet that such a service would be eligible for a government grant since it involves "health and human services" -- you know our government loves "programs".
My Ex wife obtained government grants to buy a lot of the things she needed for the daycare. Low income families caN obtain vouchers to pay for daycare services where the parent has a co-pay and the voucher covers the rest.

In Florida, we have Voluntary Pre-K (VPK) that is free to all Florida four year olds. The State picks up the bill and sends the voucher directly to the daycare. The voucher covers three months of of preeschool tuition. Its only for three hours for half day or six hours for full day but you can upsell "wrap around" care at an additional cost.

So Yes the money is there.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I'm not so sure about that, Andres. I would think it is a program that would be great for anyone!

And I've always thot it was a good idea. A few years ago when Bobo and I discussed the possibility of having children, he had to remind me that they can't just be kenneled when we wanted to travel abroad!! LOL. My first thot was, "Why not?" Okay, maybe the maternal gene doesn't run too deep here. But I seriously thought/think that there should be some sort of service available for evening care, and the occasional overnight.

We are a much more transient society now. We also tend to get married and start families later than generations past. As such, there are far fewer people with family members around to help in these situations.

HAHA!! :D This is comedic gold. If you ever have kids I am saving this, data basing this, and pointing your children to it. Better be good little bobo and jill or mommy and daddy will have you kenneled while we go to Europe.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
ZDS... she isn't kidding, this is the same woman who wondered why all those plants that she used to 'brighten up the dark corner of the room' kept dying.

When Jill and I met I was a single dad with a two year old. For single parents the reliable babysitter is gold, I like the idea of the 'wired' daycare where the parent can instantly see and hear what's going on. I've always been sorta the protective type dad. You know in the movies when you see the dumb humans teasing the bear cub and the cub is crying pitifully and the music changes to something foreboding? ...yeah, I'm kinda the 'next scene'.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
1) Married couples who want a break (PARENTS NIGHT OUT!)
2) Parents with evening jobs
3) Parents with evening classes.

1) Married couples typically use baby sitters - like to have kids in their own homes, rather than elsewhere... as Cactuswren said - - - aren't going to like getting them up in the middle of the night.

2) could be a market for this - especially single working parents. However, I know a lot of married couples though that arrange shift work so that one works days and the other works nights. Kids never need a sitter because one parent is always available.

3) Ditto #2. Usually both parents will not be in classes at the same time. The other parent can be with kids while student parent goes to class.

I think given the choice, most parents - at least in my area would opt for a baby sitter in their own home rather than a day care center. Especially at night.

I guess my question is.... what can you offer that a baby sitter down the road can't?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Poor Jill really is getting picked on here. Guess I'll have to join in. I have to disagree Jill. I just finished some work at a high school where most of the 16 yea old females were pregnant or already a mom. The majority of them were Hispanic, the fastest growing population in our state. The majority of them have huge extended families. I would agree with you about most anglo families though, having less children and later in life.

Hope you are having fun by the pool Jill.:thumbsup:

juntao65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 2, 2009
Yo MJ, why don't you just test this Tim Ferris style?

Make up a quick landing page saying that a new daycare is opening in town. Be like "hurry up, reserve now before day care fills up" in a more professional tone. Put like numbers or something, like say you already have this many people here. (Herd effect?)

Try to do this on a brandable domain, just some cheap registration cost. MJsitters.com vs MJ.com. Buy the brand later, just do it cheap.

Then get a facebook voucher and target single parents in your area. Try to optimize your picture to get the best CTR. Then work on conversions. If nothing hits, what did you lose? like $100? If it does hit... you owe me coffee + a hug. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.