The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newsletter service: what am I doing wrong?

Marketing, social media, advertising

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
I recently opened my newsletter service and as soon as I started it, I sent it to my friends family, posted it on insta, twitter, LinkedIn and where not. But the thing is not even a single one subscribed yet. What am I missing, how do I get people to subscribe it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
Check out the below from hubspot:

But mostly have you tested to see if their is a demand for the information your offering? If so how did you do this - where is your reader spending his/her time? Find these places and start to build from there, grow your IDEAL READER / CUSTOMER and pay to direct them through Social Media / Google to your page.

What is the newsletter about?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You don't want someone to signup just because they are your friend. Unless you have 50,000 close friends it's just false hope.

You want someone to signup because they have a reason to.

What REASON do people have to signup for your newsletter?

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
Check out the below from hubspot:

But mostly have you tested to see if their is a demand for the information your offering? If so how did you do this - where is your reader spending his/her time? Find these places and start to build from there, grow your IDEAL READER / CUSTOMER and pay to direct them through Social Media / Google to your page.

What is the newsletter about?
For reference of what the newsletter is about-

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
You don't want someone to signup just because they are your friend. Unless you have 50,000 close friends it's just false hope.

You want someone to signup because they have a reason to.

What REASON do people have to signup for your newsletter?
Because they are tired of all the sign-ups, fake offers, having to spend abundant time to search a job and still get nothing on these job search apps and sites.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Because they are tired of all the sign-ups, fake offers, having to spend abundant time to search a job and still get nothing on these job search apps and sites.
So your newsletter helps people find a job?

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
I recently opened my newsletter service and as soon as I started it, I sent it to my friends family, posted it on insta, twitter, LinkedIn and where not. But the thing is not even a single one subscribed yet. What am I missing, how do I get people to subscribe it?
You'll likely do better if you offer something for free in exchange for signing up for the newsletter (quiz report, e-book, PDF download, etc...). Of 100K viewers per month, I only get a handful of newsletter signups, but I get thousands of people who want to take my quiz or get my ebook. It just helps people get more value from you faster.

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
So your newsletter helps people find a job?
Yes! Without the issues you need to face with online job apps and websites.

For reference

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
I do that. We offer a report at the end which tells you about your preferred job industry trends, updates, books recommendation etc.
You'll likely do better if you offer something for free in exchange for signing up for the newsletter (quiz report, e-book, PDF download, etc...). Of 100K viewers per month, I only get a handful of newsletter signups, but I get thousands of people who want to take my quiz or get my ebook. It just helps people get more value from you faster.

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
I do that. We offer a report at the end which tells you about your preferred job industry trends, updates, books recommendation etc.
Do you tell people that you offer this? It sounds like your newsletter has a lot of value—it's just a matter of communicating to your audience that value.

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
Do you tell people that you offer this? It sounds like your newsletter has a lot of value—it's just a matter of communicating to your audience that value.

That is the problem. I maybe better at creating stuff but poor at marketing and advertising of my value.

When you subscribe my newsletter specifying your job preferences you'll get a newsletter on mail or any prefered social media which will have legit job vacancies, that cuts spending hefty hours creating profile, dealing with spam messages and paying extra for premium which happens on job apps and sites like linkedIn.
At the end of every mail you'll get a report with all the trends, updates, what successful ones in your job Industry did and books etc.

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
That is the problem. I maybe better at creating stuff but poor at marketing and advertising of my value.

When you subscribe my newsletter specifying your job preferences you'll get a newsletter on mail or any prefered social media which will have legit job vacancies, that cuts spending hefty hours creating profile, dealing with spam messages and paying extra for premium which happens on job apps and sites like linkedIn.
At the end of every mail you'll get a report with all the trends, updates, what successful ones in your job Industry did and books etc.
What does you marketing copy look like (when you ask people to sign up)? Were the people you sent it to on the job market? How many people viewed it? I think I read that newsletter sign ups can be as low as 1-2%.

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
What does you marketing copy look like (when you ask people to sign up)? Were the people you sent it to on the job market? How many people viewed it? I think I read that newsletter sign ups can be as low as 1-2%.
I contacted the ones in my friends and family Circle who could know people searching for jobs. They forwarded it to the ones in their Circle looking for jobs. I created social media handle for my newsletter and posted about it there, posted about it on LinkedIn and other sites but all that provided nothing. So I thought what am I missing?

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
I contacted the ones in my friends and family Circle who could know people searching for jobs. They forwarded it to the ones in their Circle looking for jobs. I created social media handle for my newsletter and posted about it there, posted about it on LinkedIn and other sites but all that provided nothing. So I thought what am I missing?
Learning how to write marketing copy is probably the best thing I did for my business. If the first messaging doesn't work, try some other pitches. Also, some platforms work better than others for some products. And certain messages will work better for certain audiences. Just keep trying different messaging and it'll improve in time.

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
Learning how to write marketing copy is probably the best thing I did for my business. If the first messaging doesn't work, try some other pitches. Also, some platforms work better than others for some products. And certain messages will work better for certain audiences. Just keep trying different messaging and it'll improve in time.
Any suggestions how i can too learn marketing. Maybe books or something?

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
Any suggestions how i can too learn marketing. Maybe books or something?
Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing when I started (I still don't, but things sell so I must have learned something). Some of my favorite marketing folks: Neil Patel, Backlinko, Mike Dillard (not his courses, but his ideas on "attraction marketing" were helpful to me).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This article might help:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Don’t overcomplicate it.

Ask yourself:
  1. Who do you help?
  2. What do you help them with?
  3. What do they already do (online) to get that help?
  4. What do they already pay for to get that help?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This article might help:

What a cool website. Thanks for sharing.

As for that article, one issue I have with it is that ultimately it doesn't matter how many subscribers he got (vanity) but how it affected his bottom line (real world results). Too often these days people seem to equate likes/followers/subscribers with income.

RandomKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Nov 6, 2021
Don’t overcomplicate it.

Ask yourself:
  1. Who do you help?
  2. What do you help them with?
  3. What do they already do (online) to get that help?
  4. What do they already pay for to get that help?
This article might help:
Thanks!

Jpeveryday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Sep 5, 2018
If your newsletter reads like your posts here on this forum, that's your problem right there.

It took several posts of people asking you questions to understand what you're even talking about .

I imagine your newsletter copy confused your readers and a confused reader does nothing.

They don't sign up, they stop reading, they hit delete.

Worse yet, they may not even have opened if it the subject line sucks. (Do you have a tracking system to see how many opened ?)

Is English your second language ?

Also your expectations are way out of whack. Open rates can be less than 1% in some niches. And it sounds like your list is miniscule if it's just family and friends that are looking for a job. That can't amount to more than 50 people. Although I suspect the number is half. So what's less than 1% of 50 people ? Yeah, 0.

Newsletters are all about testing testing testing . But you have to be a strong copywriter to make it work. Hire one to help you. Or spend time learning it and testing different subject lines , headlines and offers if email newsletter is going to be your main marketing strategy. Lex DeVille is great on this site.

Pm me and I'll rip your newsletter to shreds. You might cry but you'll get a better response the next time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.