The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newbie Importing and Selling on Amazon

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
Food for thought: I wanted an extra cord to charge my FitBit. I already have one, but wanted a spare, so I wasn't in a big hurry for it. Ordered the cheapest one I found on Amazon. Took a few weeks, (not sure how long because I wasn't sitting around waiting for it). Hubby asks when he brings the mail in, "what did you order from Shanghai?"

My sister ordered nail art supplies from China because it was so cheap.

So don't fool yourselves. If people want something, but realize if they are willing to wait they can pay a third of the price, they are buying from China directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
Food for thought: I wanted an extra cord to charge my FitBit. I already have one, but wanted a spare, so I wasn't in a big hurry for it. Ordered the cheapest one I found on Amazon. Took a few weeks, (not sure how long because I wasn't sitting around waiting for it). Hubby asks when he brings the mail in, "what did you order from Shanghai?"

My sister ordered nail art supplies from China because it was so cheap.

So don't fool yourselves. If people want something, but realize if they are willing to wait they can pay a third of the price, they are buying from China directly.

And none of us would be willing to sell at that kind of price. I mean obviously people buy from China, but the point here is sellers shipping directly from China rarely compete in the same demand market as we do. We offer convenience and they offer savings, we are happy with our price and the money we make, and they are happy with their price and the money they make. Customers are happy with the prices they can pay and the times they need to wait, whether it's higher price/shorter wait or lower price/longer wait.

The point is those Chinese sellers are not a threat to us; not no one buys from them, which is obviously untrue. We and they operate on different business models and meet different demands, which is a good thing, because we both win and we give customers like you mentioned in your examples more choices.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
My 24 year old daughter has an ali express app on her phone and loves getting cheap stuff from China. She also has Amazon Prime and loves 2 day delivery.

An older couple I know seem to be all about how cheap they can get things and he loves ordering from China through ebay. They're frequently disappointed with low quality and refuse to spend more because they assume its all that way.

My military kids care more about quality and potential piracy/counterfeit so they stick with Amazon Prime. The list goes on.

I guess my point is that it depends on your buying market. If you cater to the penny pinchers or compete on price alone you'll struggle to stay in business. If you tap certain mindsets (quality, pro-american, legal, etc) then you're more likely to thrive for the long term.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
D

Deleted2BB3x9

Update:
  • 18 years old now. Been working on my business for a year and a half.
  • Got an email from Fox News inquiring about my Instagram account. But i couldn't do anything since it was for U.S. citizens only.
  • Applied for a 5000$ grant.
  • Ordered 7 samples of a new product to test the market.
Looking forward to seeing results!

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Just stumbled across this and considering the wealth of information provided I can’t believe it ended like it did.

What’s been happening the last 18 months @BusinessBen?

Like you said, that business may have failed but the lessons are worth it. My first failure was losing $2,000 to an overseas manufacturer but it was worth the knowledge gained from the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.