The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Which route would you recommend?

• FBA

• Website

• Big Concept

Results are only viewable after voting.

felixwinkler

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 29, 2020
Karlsruhe, Germany
I wanna start selling my own product soon (still have to look for one btw xD), however, I'm unsure whether I should start with my own website or with FBA.

Going for the website would basically be the concept MJ and Tim Ferriss (4-Hour Work Week) recommend, even though I don't quite know their opinion on selling on Amazon. I'd basically pick a niche, look for existing products and offers and skew value.
As for FBA, I have two courses that teach everything extremely well with clear criteria for products to look for.

Basically, the main difference between the two would be the sales channel, however, if I would be starting out with FBA I could always expand to my own website later and vice versa.

Also, this won't be a project for a lifetime for me, I'll always continue to work on further ideas and concepts, I just think this is a better idea than starting out with a giant project (think of something like Apple) right away as I currently don't have any real stream of income (even though I already have a lot of experience, a solid network, and some funding).

As for simplicity, I attached a poll below. I'd still highly appreciate a detailed answer about your opinion and why you think so. Thank you so much in advance!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
Amazon -> Amazon + Your website -> Your website mostly.

You could start both (Am+your web), its really very little time to setup own e-shop (assuming Shopify or something).

Amazon- because its fastest verification of your product.
Your website, because it's where you have real control.

Product and value skew is much more important.
Sales channel is a secondary thing most of the time.

When you verify that there's demand for product, people might start looking for your brand in google so ultimately you should have your website there.

B.Cotter

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
I'm fairly certain MJ detailed his opinion with selling on Amazon in his books. Amazon as your sole sales channel is bad news. You have no control. Amazon can ban/revoke your ability to sell in a heartbeat, and for nothing at all. From other horror stories I've heard, they can do it without warning and if you try to have your account reinstated it can be a long, painstaking process.

If you have your own website, you have the control. Then you can leverage other platforms such as Amazon to increase sales, marketing and exposure, but if something bad happens on one of those platforms you aren't left out in the cold scrambling to get back up and running.

SteveD

New Contributor
Apr 14, 2020
Gloucestershire, England
I wanna start selling my own product soon (still have to look for one btw xD), however, I'm unsure whether I should start with my own website or with FBA.

Going for the website would basically be the concept MJ and Tim Ferriss (4-Hour Work Week) recommend, even though I don't quite know their opinion on selling on Amazon. I'd basically pick a niche, look for existing products and offers and skew value.
As for FBA, I have two courses that teach everything extremely well with clear criteria for products to look for.

Basically, the main difference between the two would be the sales channel, however, if I would be starting out with FBA I could always expand to my own website later and vice versa.

Also, this won't be a project for a lifetime for me, I'll always continue to work on further ideas and concepts, I just think this is a better idea than starting out with a giant project (think of something like Apple) right away as I currently don't have any real stream of income (even though I already have a lot of experience, a solid network, and some funding).

As for simplicity, I attached a poll below. I'd still highly appreciate a detailed answer about your opinion and why you think so. Thank you so much in advance!
I was in the exact same position as you, so can share my insights into your question. I sell a private label product and decided to start selling using Amazon FBA first.

My product has started selling well, so this has verified to me that there is a demand for my product and now I will look to create a shopify store. I plan to ship my product to a fulfillment centre which syncs with shopify to keep the process as automated as possible. Should anything ever happen to my Amazon account, I will have this sales channel to fall back on.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Martzee

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States

So, to understand, you don't have a product yet (and still have to look for it) but looking for places where to sell it? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...

Riviera2012

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 19, 2017
Europe
You can do both.

Each has pros and cons.

Your website: you have more control, you can control conversions (and understand what marketing campaigns bring you sales), you can change the whole environment.

Amazon: People trust and buy more easily knowing its guarantee and its speed of delivery.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
I think this is a bad question, as the type of product you’re going to sell is going to, in part, determine where it’s best to sell.

And really, if you have a good product, it will virtually sell itself... and so the answer is everywhere you can.

So focus first on finding a strong unmet need and developing a product to meet that need.

G Man

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 22, 2020
NI in UK
Definitely start by selling on amazon. This is the fastest way to find out if there is demand for your product with the amount of eyeballs you will get on it. The razor sharp competition on there will sharpen your game.

If you instead build a website, no one will come to your website. Why would they. So now you must learn online advertising and spend $$$ to get traffic. Which would have been free on amazon.

The first reply in the thread by Kid was right. Amazon to start, always promote your site in packaging etc, build up your own site over time, aim to transition most sales to your website and away from amazon over time.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom