The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Needing Advice, Is a University Degree worth doing at 21 years old? What would be the best way forward?

Idea threads

Storm888

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 14, 2023
Hey Fastlaners, I need some straight forward advice which will allow me to be a better Entrepreneur. I am at bit of a crossroad in my life. Would College be worth going to at 21? In my country the maximum debt I could get into will be 20kNZD interest free. Unlike US University I think that is pretty reasonable. I am planning on doing a bcom degree and majoring in accounting which will be 3 years or is working shitty jobs while trying to start a business still the way to go? Any advice is welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I am planning on doing a bcom degree and majoring in accounting which will be 3 years or is working shitty jobs while trying to start a business still the way to go?
There was never a "way to go." There is only the way you choose to go. That is the way of an entrepreneur.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Fastlaners, I need some straight forward advice which will allow me to be a better Entrepreneur. I am at bit of a crossroad in my life. Would College be worth going to at 21? In my country the maximum debt I could get into will be 20kNZD interest free. Unlike US University I think that is pretty reasonable. I am planning on doing a bcom degree and majoring in accounting which will be 3 years or is working shitty jobs while trying to start a business still the way to go? Any advice is welcome.
You're not a teenager, but this thread might help:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
If you need extra assurance on a riskier path then generally that risker path is not for you.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I'd take on less debt or no debt at all. Find courses online, but for some if not most degrees are mandatory. I threw mine away a few months ago.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Start with the end in mind and work backward from there: what is your goal? Then: will an education help you get there?

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
If you need extra assurance on a riskier path then generally that risker path is not for you.
Nonsense, insecurity and fear are there to be overcome, sometimes they are the catalyst that ensure you push harder than you would have otherwise. No path is guaranteed, the only thing I know is the less risks you take the more you'll regret it later on.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Nonsense, insecurity and fear are there to be overcome, sometimes they are the catalyst that ensure you push harder than you would have otherwise. No path is guaranteed, the only thing I know is the less risks you take the more you'll regret it later on.
I think people who have the prerequisite to make it without college education don’t need assurance from others.

They have a plan on what they are going to do, and accept the risk of failure.

If you are not prepared to mentally accept the cost of failure then that path is not for you.

It just means delaying entrepreneurship not giving up in total.

People need to take actions that are in line with their values and risk appetite, which will produce the best outcome. No point not going to college but then going to work in a “shitty job” as the OP described and casting self-doubt into action everyday.

Values and risk appetite can only change after life experience. If it takes three years of college two years of job to realise that excellence without great risk and hustle is impossible, it is the necessary route and there is no short cut about it.

Jp888 did his research and is just coming here for a confirmation that he is right in wanting to cert first, you can tell from the way he phrases the choices.

He is more likely to be successful in pursuing a path that in line with his risk appetite and values.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.