The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Youtube video with 30 views made $12.1k in a week

Marketing, social media, advertising

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
A few months ago I deleted 45 videos from my personal YT channel. I replaced them with two lone videos.

I shot these on my phone (also free microphone I stumbled into). The videos don't get likes or comments. They're not monetized or SEO optimized.

In fact, as of the time of this posting, these videos have less than 30 views each. I know where more than half those views came from:
  • Loving wife: 1 view
  • Proud mom: 5 views
  • My own narcissistic a$$: 10 views
  • Friends rolling their eyes: 4 views
Yet the videos made me $12k (and counting).

The other 11 views on each video came from clients.
Clients I had warm-emailed with a link to the video and a short little "I can help you _____. Here's a video proving that I know what I'm talking about."

Within the week, I had booked 2 clients.

Client One (copywriting)
$60/hr x 40 hour month = $2,400 Subtotal
10% discount for paying in advance = $2,160 Total Takeaway

Client Two (web design)
2 overhauls x $7,500 each = $15,000 Subtotal
Outsourced $2,500 x 2 = $5,000 expenses = $10,000 Total Takeaway

That's $12,160 sent to my paypal in the course of a week.
FROM STRANGERS. (I'll ignore the nightmare I had managing the web stuff)

I accomplished this because the videos did something interesting. They simultaneously:

1. Demonstrated EXPERTISE
  2. Showed MY FACE
  3. Displayed MY PERSONALITY
  4. Got the customer EXCITED
  5. Speed up TRUST
But I don't want you to take away the wrong message.
But this isn't a tale of "Anybody can make videos and do this too!".
Sorry. This is something that only works for me.

For 12 years I've been learning this skillset.
I've worked towards structuring video, leveling audio, photoshopping thumbnails, motion graphics, delivering lines, compelling writing.
This is a tactic that just WILL NOT WORK FOR MOST BUSINESS PEOPLE.

However there is a tactic in this post that WILL work for you:
Work your a$$ off on yourself.
It will pay off.
Never give up, never surrender.

PS: Because I know reply #1 will be "Well, let's see the videos!" here they are:

PPS: First person to visit the page can testify to the abysmal view-count.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I don't know if I was 1st to watch the video or not but..... on my Mac, all it does is show the video, it didn't show me the number of views by just clicking, it might have if I would have tried to see the number of views. But I believe you. I'm also anal when checking my own work, so on my sites, I've made sure everything looks 'right' to the end user. What brought me to being anal for the end user? Sites like you used as an example...... if they were a pain in the a$$ to use, I don't use them. Glad you got lots of work out of it. The only thing I'd say to change for next time is a new t-shirt if you're going for the Fonzie look :blush: I'm not bagging on the look at all, just the dull looking t-shirt to the end user :smile:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
As for the flyer..... I liked to center the text on my flyers back when I used them daily. You only have a few seconds to get them and by centering it, you make it a little easier to read. For some reason I always used what I called the Christmas tree text. After the heading I'd either start with a smaller line and get bigger as the page went down or vice versa. That was just my personal preference. To me it let the reader read it faster because it makes each line stand out and not run together. Just my .93c

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Man, I love everything about this!

Videos, the story, the knowledge shared in the videos and in the post, and the results it got you.

You're a great showman too, if there were more videos, I'd binge watch them:) High quality videos in every aspect.

Thanks for sharing.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Very well made videos, great work.

Any suggestions for learning how to make those cool moving graphics and screenshares? > they are top notch.

Congrats on the projects.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Good stuff Dennis, and welcome back! I too am getting into video production for my ad management business. It's a powerful medium that isn't used nearly as much as it could be. For example, yesterday I did a 6 minute talk about saving (big) clients money. Today I outlined the process my company uses to grow accounts. I am also planning on doing webinars with ecommerce store owners for a 30 minute segment at least once a week for some organic marketing.

What are you using to edit the videos? I have Adobe Creative Suite, but know some Premier and have never touched After Effects. I was also looking on Themeforest.net and Adobe Stock, both have tons of video templates, transitions, etc. I also just ordered a green screen kit to play around with. The possibilities are truly endless with video.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Nice headline. I'm like, what's he got -- mesothelioma ads running nonstop in there? (Those are notoriously expensive because lawyers can make a huge profit off of asbestos lawsuits.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.