The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My progress: creating a product

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Hello there, heres an update:

- I have hired a freelancer to take care of the electrical/coding side of things.
- The designing aspect of things is going great. We will have a working prototype in about a month.
- Working on writing up the copy material for the website.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Time for an update:

- Finishing up electronic work with freelancer.
- Researched safety certifications that I need to have in each country I plan to sell in.
- Getting samples from China for a part that integrates in my product.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Sounds cool, would love to see the product when you are ready to show it

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Hey guys its been a while since my last post.

A few things happened:

- working full time on this, no more job!
- found a mentor, see her regularly, great motivator
- got a bunch of quotes for production of parts
- design work taking longer than expected but looking great
- found trade shows to go to for networking

Last edited:

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Hey fellas,

Quick update:

- Full working prototype 70% done.
- Got 3D render of the product done to look at the "look & feel" of the thing.
- Researching contract manufacturing, do not think I can make these things in basement as it requires significant assembly and testing...

Still a ways from patenting as I want to extend the coverage to the max.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice to see an update on this again. Are you looking at contract manufacturers domestically or abroad?

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Hey Eskil,

Yea lol, I've been quite busy working on this. I always appreciate your questions.

I started looking abroad. The quotes I am getting for some of my parts (once in production) locally (Canada) are way too high. The problem with going abroad, and possibly finding a contract manufacturer to make my whole product is: they can always tweak it and try to undercut me. If I want to go that route, its a risk I'd have to take.

Here's a look at the components that are involved:
- Plastic injected part
- Various parts in glass (1 off the shelf, 2 custom parts)
- Stamped or molded metal part
- High voltage batteries
- PCB board

As you can see, I really decided to pick the easiest product to make on my first venture (sarcasm heavily intended) :p

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
The problem with going abroad, and possibly finding a contract manufacturer to make my whole product is: they can always tweak it and try to undercut me. If I want to go that route, its a risk I'd have to take.

Yeah that's one thing I will be facing too if my product will hit production. Been pondering this for some time but it's one of those things any product creator must face.

Mine consists of around a dozen parts, mostly hard plastic and aluminum - but they must be precisely fit for it to function right. You might want to look to Mexico too for contract manufacturing. I am going to research some of the possibilities there after suggestions about it from @TopChef at B&P.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Mine consists of around a dozen parts, mostly hard plastic and aluminum - but they must be precisely fit for it to function right. You might want to look to Mexico too for contract manufacturing. I am going to research some of the possibilities there after suggestions about it from @TopChef at B&P.

Same here. Everything has small tolerances in order for the whole thing to work. I'll give Mexico a look. I'm mostly searching on alibaba and thomasnet.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Since my last post the biggest problem I am facing is:

How to transport lithium ion batteries that are used in my product?
Once the batteries in my product, what are the steps I need to take to make sure I can ship the product safely?
How will this affect the price of my product?

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
You could always have something to lock it in the off position (assuming it creates heat), and I know for sure Li-Ion batteries can be shipped, I mean Apple products have them integrated, why couldn't you?

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
You could always have something to lock it in the off position (assuming it creates heat), and I know for sure Li-Ion batteries can be shipped, I mean Apple products have them integrated, why couldn't you?

For sure! I have the same view.

I just haven't done enough research to fully understand the scope of the process. More homework is needed! :)

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Next step:

Analyze steps to working in the US (for a Canadian citizen).
Target market is in the US.
Companies that are making some the parts for us are in the US.

Doesn't make sense to me to get all the stuff shipped to Canada to get assembled/tested and then shipped back to the US...

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Today's issue:

Looking at all the marketing that is happening around the forum, I see most people concentrating on google ad words and facebook ads.

Since I am making a product for the tobacco industry, these options are not available to me if I want to do a direct sales pitch (buy the new xyz!). Indirect copy seems to be allowed: meet up with people for a passion for cigars.

I know the power of word of mouth (Seth Godin: Purple Cow). I am just worrying that my product wont lift off without the use of these tools.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Trying to decide if a patent will be beneficial to me. There are a lot of debates on both sides of this issue.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
So I received my 3D printer last week. Was able to make plenty of prints of parts for testing. Having this printer significantly decreased my lead time to getting prototype parts.

Have made a list of all the patent claims that are similar to my product. Arranging to meet with a patent lawyer early next week to go forth with a provisional patent.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Congrats on moving forward. What printer model do you have? I am gearing up to get one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I got the davinci 1.0 from xyz printing. It takes getting used to but it's fun learning. Let me know if you want to know why I picked this one out of all the options available.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Would be nice to know why. I am doing research now and determining which one would be best for our application. What features are a must? What is price of ink or whatever the name of the material used to get the 3d product? can it do color or just one color.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Would be nice to know why. I am doing research now and determining which one would be best for our application. What features are a must? What is price of ink or whatever the name of the material used to get the 3d product? can it do color or just one color.

I wanted a system that was not DIY. I wanted a pre assembled unit. Under or near 500$. Software support is ok. Only downside is you have to use their proprietary filament refills. You can use any color of the rainbow. Cannot mix colors in the prints though. Oh and it has a big print volume. Something I needed.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Working out patent details with patent lawyer.
Next steps:
- Finish prototype
- Get provisional patent
- Get a website up (pre-orders)
- Start social media campaign

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Met with a patent lawyer.
Showed all the prior art we had found.
The next steps are:
1. Freedom to operate -> lawyer has to conduct a patent search ($3-5K), or use the patents I have found (less $)
2. Patentability -> Give an opinion on how the search above will affect patentability
3. Provisional patent -> Format my documents in legalese and submit to USPTO

I should get a quote next with all the options. Have another meeting with another patent lawyer. Let's see how much variation there is in their quotes...

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I just went thru the process you're going thru. I suggest slowing down just a bit and make sure you keep tweaking that prototype until you're really satisfied with it. I must have changed mine a dozen times at least. And even now as I'm ready to go into production I have more ideas...it's tough shutting off the ole brain once it gets a goin'. :D
Yeah, I'd be careful there.

I know a guy that could be as Fastlane as somebody could get, but he is constantly sabotaging himself and his business. One of the ways he does this is to constantly tweak his product.

Huge mistake IMO

Consolidate all of your ideas, and revamp like once a year or something - maybe even release as a different product if there is enough changes.

Don't let good ideas stall a great execution. If the product is good, start selling it and people will be excited when something new is available.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I'd be careful there.

I know a guy that could be as Fastlane as somebody could get, but he is constantly sabotaging himself and his business. One of the ways he does this is to constantly tweak his product.

Huge mistake IMO

Consolidate all of your ideas, and revamp like once a year or something - maybe even release as a different product if there is enough changes.

Don't let good ideas stall a great execution. If the product is good, start selling it and people will be excited when something new is available.

Good way of looking at it. I just want my product to work to my standards. No bells or whistles yet.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Hey guys a little update:

- My 3d printer crapped out on me. Had to order another one.
- Got a lot of feedback from reddit about my product. Changed my landing page accordingly.
- Hitting up twitter and instagram to spread the word.

More to come :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.