The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've built a website for graduate college students. Documenting my progress here to scale it into a business.

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
Hi all,

Hope you all are keeping well. I'm currently a full-time engineer working at a tech startup within the climate tech space who only recently graduated from university 6 months ago. My long-term goal is to be semi-retired by the age of 35, and believe that the best method of doing this is through a business system as described in MJ DeMarco's books.

I recently noticed that the modern education system does not properly educate graduate students on how to acquire their first job straight out of university, let alone navigate the professional world and all of the corporate jargon that it normally brings. This normally leaves a lot of people feeling quite confused and lost once the structure of the university vanishes upon graduation - key skills such as networking, job navigation strategies, how to navigate job interviews, how to utilize referrals, or even how to start your own business are simply pushed aside and never discussed during most people's tenure under our current education curriculum.

As a result of this, I have built a website called gradsorted.com to help university students and graduate students with this problem. I am going to be completely honest with everyone reading this - I have given up several times on this idea and have always struggled to put in consistent work. Mainly, this is due to my poor work ethic and my tendency to create excuses, causing me to give up and not pursue the idea. The reason for me creating this post is not to show off what I am doing, but to keep myself accountable with daily updates. Staying consistent with a business idea has always been a struggle for me (I tend to keep jumping between different business ideas but do not get anywhere unsurprisingly) but I am determined to make this one work.

Here is a summary of what I have achieved so far:

1) I have built the MVP for this project, which you can check out here: Welcome to GradSorted!! - your one stop shop for all questions grad related!. I am open to all feedback, please let me know if there are any features you hate/don't think have the potential for long-term growth. The connect-to-employer feature does not exist as of yet and is merely a speculative feature that may be added if demand is high enough.

2) I also run a YouTube channel alongside this (it's very small) that I plan on growing to help drive traffic to this website. Growing the YouTube channel is a separate beast, however, so I'm unsure if that is something I need to consider at this point.

What I (think) I need to do (Could be wrong here, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing at this point):

1) Generate a list of potential users for this site. My current idea is to utilise a landing page but unsure if this is the best route moving forward. This is probably the best way to validate if there is any demand for what I am building, as well as generating a list of users who might be interested. I am also unsure of how I would distribute the landing page to potential users.

The long-term goal of this project (if successful) is to charge a monthly subscription fee for this website, with different membership options available for accessing different features.

I do not currently have all of the answers but I am determined to work them out and see if this is a fit for a valid business idea. I will be posting more updates here as I progress, and would also appreciate any additional feedback/comments from anyone else who might follow this.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FroQ

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 25, 2019
Hey Sahil, I'm finishing my masters now and I also noticed that problem among my peers, I was thinking a lot about building something similar. How do you plan to keep your subscribers after they will find a job? Just curious.

Fingers crossed!

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
Hey Sahil, I'm finishing my masters now and I also noticed that problem among my peers, I was thinking a lot about building something similar. How do you plan to keep your subscribers after they will find a job? Just curious.

Fingers crossed!
Hey FroQ, glad to hear your noticing a similar issue!

To be honest, I haven't thought that far haha. At the moment, I'm just focused on getting existing grad students looking for jobs to join. Open to any suggestions though!

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
I have built a landing page for this site, though I'm unsure on how to distribute it. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of distributing it out through any social media platforms I might have to gauge interest first.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
Hi all,

Just passing on what I have learned over the past few days.

Just posting an update. Currently, I'm on the lookout for my first 5 users for the site. The way that I plan to accomplish this is through a landing page, which I am currently building through systeme.io. Upon conducting my research, I have discovered that the key to a great landing page is something called an HVCO, which stands for a High-Value Content Offer. Essentially, you want to capture your lead's interest by allowing them to view a snippet of how you would help them to a lesser extent before asking for their signup details.

The way that I plan on doing this is through a free guide on offer for networking, specifically geared for college students who need a better understanding of how to build a network that guides and supports them during their journey.

I will post the landing page here for those that want to observe what I am doing - feel free to chip and let me know if there are things I need to improve.

sahil123720@gmai

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 8, 2023
Australia
Just realized that I have made a huge mistake, will no longer be posting on this thread. I will be passing on my mistake here so that others can learn from me.

Essentially, I built the product without first acquiring validation through getting paying customers. This is something I have recently learned from Noah Kagan's Million Dollar Weekend, but the mistake I made was confirming interest as opposed to taking at least 3 payments before building the product. As a result, I am now in a situation where there are very little to no paying customers.

To anyone reading this thread, please learn from my mistakes and verify your idea by taking payment prior to it being built as proof that there is interest. If not, you will end up like me and have hardly anyone want to pay for your product/service.

Thanks,
Sahil.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.