The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Moleskine Notebook is in the Trash

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I bought about 50 of those yellow legal pads when @Vigilante recommended them here a couple years ago. Sometimes used them. Most of the time not. So they just sat on my desk and in a drawer. Currently selling / throwing all my stuff away, including the rest of my legal pads, to try out this minimalism perpetual traveller thing, so I'm back to Evernote. Need to implement a better system for using it though.

You get three demerits.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I use legal pads every single day. There's just something about scribbling out a task off my to do list that is satisfying. I just recently started using Pilot G2 pens and holy moley, they're awesome.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
A few months ago I decided I was going to be serious and start my business and I deserve a nice notebook that I'll use on a regular basis. Guess what, I hate it in comparison to what I've used in the past. It was so expensive that I felt like I had to be conscious of what I was writing down and instead of letting my thoughts flow freely and documentation quick notes and scribbles. The notebook was stressing me out rather than actually helping me.

What if I told you that there was an alternative for your moleskin notebook that was 1000% cheaper and just as durable. Also, you can easily order them in bulk on amazon and can arrive in less than a day. I have used this notebook since my school days and I have them everywhere in my house. I still have them piled up and with my notes from over 10 years ago with no major signs of decay. They are the old school Composition books, pages don't rip out you can write on the back of the pages easily, you can bring them everywhere. They go for 19.99 on amazon for a pack of 12!!

Now if you look at only ONE NOTEBOOK for a WHOPPING 17.99!! WHAT THE HELL!

I get why they're attractive, Hell I even fell for it. Nice paper with rubber bands and a string that keep you tabbed. But the truth is, I feel like I wasted my money on a hell of a marketing scheme. BUT IF I COULD HAVE 12 books with the same amount of pages for a price of ONE... its a no brainer!

The composition book is far cheaper, can take hell of an abuse (being a chemistry major, I've spilled acids and corrosives on those things and dried the cover with a paper towel.. I still have it in my garage and my notes are all there) As far as function goes, you can't beat the old school composition books.

Also awesome for quick sketches and notes, you can always grab legal pads and rip em off, I LOVE legal pads for writing "vomit". Get that shit outta your head and into the trash! THEY'RE EVEN CHEAPER than the composition books! $10.00 for a pack of 12!

Let me know if you have a moleskin and LOVE your moleskin, maybe you can tell me why they're WAY better the composition books. Maybe I'm using those overpriced notebooks wrong:eek: I'm really curious to see what people have to say.

I feel you. I have a moleskin notebook that's been sitting in my bookshelf for two years because it's too special to use.

I also bought some Rhodia notebooks that have gone unused because they're too special also.

I've tried using notepads and composition books but when I need them the most they are no where to be found.

The only thing that seems to work for me is the Samsung Note line of phones. There's nothing smoother than writing on glass.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black you really have your writing down to an art! You almost made me want to buy one :rofl:. Looking foward to that screenshot!
Hold on... let me see if they have an affiliate program...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This. G2 is about the best pen ever. I have about 100 of them in a box.

Black ones, blue ones, red ones, etc.

I just don't feel right writing with any other pen unless it flows like the G2

PilotG2Pen2_L1.jpg
Nice copy. "Flows" is such a good word.

Ok, that's a downside to the pretty Parker pens.

I'll try these. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
I use Clairefontaine notebooks. 90g/m2 premium paper. The liquid ink doesn't pass on to the other side of the paper and it's a joy to write using a rollerball pen on these notebooks.
328546C_2.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Did anyone else here like stationary stores as well as sports stores when they were a kid?

Or was it just me?

(We are such geeks...)

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
You guys should see the "notes" app on my phone.

I'm not sure I could afford a paper equivalent the amount of notes I have...

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Did anyone else here like stationary stores as well as sports stores when they were a kid?

Or was it just me?

(We are such geeks...)

Loved it when it was time for "school shopping" after summer break and ogling the notebooks and trying all the different fancy pens and looking at the newest computer line-up.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Loved it when it was time for "school shopping" after summer break and ogling the notebooks and trying all the different fancy pens and looking at the newest computer line-up.

I still love back to school time and I'm 35 years old!

Composition books for 15 cents!? Mechanical pencils, 20 for a buck?!

Ok, I'll take uhh...all of them.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Dr. Invictus or: How I Learned to Start Writing and Love the Moleskin

So, interestingly enough, I view my moleskin in the exact opposite way all of y’all look at yours.

Looks like most people’s problems with the moleskin is that it’s too nice and they don’t want to ruin it.

I get that. I’ve been gifted beautiful journals throughout the years that I’ve never got to use. They’re simply too nice! I can’t just write my disgusting, filthy words in them. They have to be saved and used for the perfect thing.

A nice journal can’t just have:

To Do:

1) Email Vigilante

2) Write Profile for jpanarra

3) Ask MJ to be my mentor

4) Shave

Or

Ideas:

1) Fusion Power

2) Affordable Solid State Drives

3) Cat Hats

No, they need something intense. They have to contain beautiful script (impossible with my chicken scratch handwriting) of my deepest, darkest thoughts, tales of adventure across the world, or philosophical life observations. Something fascinating, so that when I die and my family is digging through my junk, they’re impressed. They save the journals because they have a piece of my soul in them.

Which is why I love moleskin notebooks.

The moleskin looks rugged and a bit bland. My swear-word filled rants and ideas deserve to be plastered over it. Makes the book more interesting.

I don’t feel bad about outlining, taking notes, or scribbling down To-Do lists or master plans. I’m doing the thing a favor.

“But Invictus, wouldn’t it be cheaper to just get a composition book?”

Ah, here’s the thing. The nice thing about the moleskin is that while it is a bit boring, it still looks nice. It’s homely. Much like my Tacoma.

Composition books and legal pads are BLARGH to me. Although they’re great for word vomit, I still like to look back at my previous pages. And the moleskin makes me feel professional, or writerly.

Also, I’ve always hated composition books. I don’t know why.

Moleskins are the perfect middle ground. They’re nice enough to carry around and stroke my ego, but cheap enough that I can scribble all over them. And, they’re tough enough to kill that wasp a few weeks back.

If you find them a bit pricey (I used the leftover funds from my bookstore stipend to pick them up) you can usually find something equally as bland for a few bucks cheaper, since Moleskin now charges a large amount because of their brand. The key is to make sure it isn’t too nice because then you don’t want to ruin it.

P.S. I also dream of having an entire shelf of moleskins I’ve used over the years. F*ck minimalism.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

Or was it just me?

(We are such geeks...)

Speak for yourself. I'm not a geek... dammit, yes I am. I spent time yesterday looking for an adult chess club.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
A few months ago I decided I was going to be serious and start my business and I deserve a nice notebook that I'll use on a regular basis. Guess what, I hate it in comparison to what I've used in the past. It was so expensive that I felt like I had to be conscious of what I was writing down and instead of letting my thoughts flow freely and documentation quick notes and scribbles. The notebook was stressing me out rather than actually helping me.

What if I told you that there was an alternative for your moleskin notebook that was 1000% cheaper and just as durable. Also, you can easily order them in bulk on amazon and can arrive in less than a day. I have used this notebook since my school days and I have them everywhere in my house. I still have them piled up and with my notes from over 10 years ago with no major signs of decay. They are the old school Composition books, pages don't rip out you can write on the back of the pages easily, you can bring them everywhere. They go for 19.99 on amazon for a pack of 12!!

Now if you look at only ONE NOTEBOOK for a WHOPPING 17.99!! WHAT THE HELL!

I get why they're attractive, Hell I even fell for it. Nice paper with rubber bands and a string that keep you tabbed. But the truth is, I feel like I wasted my money on a hell of a marketing scheme. BUT IF I COULD HAVE 12 books with the same amount of pages for a price of ONE... its a no brainer!

The composition book is far cheaper, can take hell of an abuse (being a chemistry major, I've spilled acids and corrosives on those things and dried the cover with a paper towel.. I still have it in my garage and my notes are all there) As far as function goes, you can't beat the old school composition books.

Also awesome for quick sketches and notes, you can always grab legal pads and rip em off, I LOVE legal pads for writing "vomit". Get that shit outta your head and into the trash! THEY'RE EVEN CHEAPER than the composition books! $10.00 for a pack of 12!

Let me know if you have a moleskin and LOVE your moleskin, maybe you can tell me why they're WAY better the composition books. Maybe I'm using those overpriced notebooks wrong:eek: I'm really curious to see what people have to say.

I use waiter pads, small and easy to tear off to the next page.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
I thought it was common knowledge that the all the best ideas are always jotted down at a bar on those loose napkins they put under your >$10 shitty whiskey.

I must be doing this wrong... :clench:

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I thought it was common knowledge that the all the best ideas are always jotted down at a bar on those loose napkins they put under your >$10 shitty whiskey.

I must be doing this wrong... :clench:

Wait, $10 is a shitty whiskey?

Whoops.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!