• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Join now and within minutes, you can start getting advice from real millionaire entrepreneurs who live the dream.

My Moleskine Notebook is in the Trash

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by jpanarra, Jan 11, 2017.

1. jpanarra

jpanarra Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    A few months ago I decided I was going to be serious and start my business and I deserve a nice notebook that I'll use on a regular basis. Guess what, I hate it in comparison to what I've used in the past. It was so expensive that I felt like I had to be conscious of what I was writing down and instead of letting my thoughts flow freely and documentation quick notes and scribbles. The notebook was stressing me out rather than actually helping me.

What if I told you that there was an alternative for your moleskin notebook that was 1000% cheaper and just as durable. Also, you can easily order them in bulk on amazon and can arrive in less than a day. I have used this notebook since my school days and I have them everywhere in my house. I still have them piled up and with my notes from over 10 years ago with no major signs of decay. They are the old school Composition books, pages don't rip out you can write on the back of the pages easily, you can bring them everywhere. They go for 19.99 on amazon for a pack of 12!!

[​IMG]

Now if you look at only ONE NOTEBOOK for a WHOPPING 17.99!! WHAT THE HELL![​IMG]

I get why they're attractive, Hell I even fell for it. Nice paper with rubber bands and a string that keep you tabbed. But the truth is, I feel like I wasted my money on a hell of a marketing scheme. BUT IF I COULD HAVE 12 books with the same amount of pages for a price of ONE... its a no brainer!

The composition book is far cheaper, can take hell of an abuse (being a chemistry major, I've spilled acids and corrosives on those things and dried the cover with a paper towel.. I still have it in my garage and my notes are all there) As far as function goes, you can't beat the old school composition books.

Also awesome for quick sketches and notes, you can always grab legal pads and rip em off, I LOVE legal pads for writing "vomit". Get that shit outta your head and into the trash! THEY'RE EVEN CHEAPER than the composition books! $10.00 for a pack of 12!

[​IMG]

Let me know if you have a moleskin and LOVE your moleskin, maybe you can tell me why they're WAY better the composition books. Maybe I'm using those overpriced notebooks wrong:eek: I'm really curious to see what people have to say.

2. jpanarra

jpanarra Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    I didn't expect those pics to come out so big...

Andy Black likes this.
  3. akTwelve

akTwelve Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $122
    I have had a similar experience. The nicer the notebook, the less I want to fill it with incomplete thoughts. I love legal pads for getting thoughts out, graph paper for sketches, and OneNote for notes that need to last and evolve over time. I tried Evernote for a while, but OneNote better meets my needs for text formatting, and note organization.

4. Digamma

Digamma Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,743
    My room at my parent's house is full of empty notebooks.

Some of them are missing pages. I wrote on them then tore the page away because it wasn't good enough.

I see I'm not the only one with this disease.

Austin Ogre and Andy Black like this.
  5. Siberia

Siberia Surprise FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $902

www.bestself.co. :hilarious::)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Andy Black likes this.
  6. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,444
    I use an "action day" planner with a small legal pad inside for notes. That way I have a calendar, to do list, and note pad all in one place.

I also write down my daily calories, lifts, and meditation stuff in it.

As the weeks go by, I let my kids color on the used sheets, so I can flip back and get reminded of them when I am sitting alone in a hotel haha.

It gives me both a place to scribble on with the notepad, and a place for permanent info like appointments and such.

Helen Adams, Nily, miked_d and 3 others like this.
  7. rollerskates

rollerskates Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $930
    I use unlined Moleskines for sketching and watercolors and I LOVE THEM, my artistic side loves the quality. For writing and business planning, I use spiral notebooks, the kind that go on sale for 17 cents at the beginning of the school year. I love notebooks and sketchbooks and Moleskines and I might possibly have around 40 of them. :oops:

Seriously, though, for just straight writing business stuff, plain old notebooks are good and you don't have to worry about wasting paper.

8. jpanarra

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    Best Motivator in the WORLD! Maybe I'm a bit emotional but those scribbles get me teary eyed and makes me want to pound my chest and work harder!

Ma Co, Mikkel, ZF Lee and 3 others like this.
  9. eliquid

eliquid Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,792
    You just gotta do what fits you.

You'll kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. In this case, you'll go through a lot of moleskins or apps, before you find what works for you.

I've tried a lot of moleskins, planners, apps on phone, etc. I even tried to code my own SaaS for it.

In the end, napkins and back of used envelopes just works for me.

I'm being 110% serious here.

ZF Lee, Nily, miked_d and 6 others like this.
  10. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $110,207
    An Ode to my Moleskine

I LOVE my Moleskine and Parker pen.

They cost a bit more so I feel a bit special using them - I'm happy meeting someone for coffee and putting them on the table.

They cost a bit more so I don't lose them - I don't end up with 10 cheaper notebooks dotted around the house, all started but mostly blank.

They cost a bit more so I fill them up all the way to the end - my previous one had notes in from every single day since 18th of April 2016 till early January 2017.

No more starting a new notebook, getting 5 pages in and wanting a "fresh start".

No more chasing shiny new first pages.

No more siren calls from fresh new notebooks after I've made a "mistake".

I just keep going to the very end - *relentlessly* moving in the one direction, in the vehicle I've chosen.

Pages can't be torn out. Mistakes are part of the story.

Coffee stains welcome.

Dog-ears preferred.

I use one notebook and pen at a time so I figure I'll treat myself.

It's my little pleasure. It's cheaper than that car I can't afford, or that laptop I don't need.

I scribble in mine. It's one of those classic black, unruled, softback ones. I feel like Leonardo Da Vinci doing my mind maps, doodles, to-do lists, and daily ONE Things.

Except my doodles are messy - and not in the artistic way.

I'll add a screenshot of mine later. Guys on Snapchat see me doodling in mine often enough.

Digital nomad? Apple laptop? Pfffttt... Give me my Moleskine, Parker pen, and smartphone any day.

Quality over quantity.

(And bollox to Trello.)

11. Marc B.

Marc B. Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,015
    I like the 8.5x11 Mead spiral notebooks (college ruled). Plenty of real estate for writing and sketching.

I've used leather-bound notebooks and legal pads too. If you're the type of person who likes to go back through their scribbles, make sure you get something durable. The cheapest notebooks like to drop their pages after you flip through them a few times.

Andy Black and ZF Lee like this.
  12. TeaEarlGreyHot

TeaEarlGreyHot Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $182
    I have a ton of those black three ring binders that I use; one for each field. This allows me to add more paper and change the order or add other documents and folders etc. I also have some random spiral and composition notebooks where I write things spontaneously when I don't have my binders. It's a little disorganized, I suppose. I also use notepad on my iPhone 4 and take screenshots for lots of things. I only write things of of high value down because I feel guilty about 'wasting' paper ._.

Andy Black likes this.
  13. jpanarra

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    @Andy Black you really have your writing down to an art! You almost made me want to buy one :rofl:. Looking foward to that screenshot!

Andy Black and ZF Lee like this.
  14. ksc23

ksc23 Knower of nothing FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,087
    I felt the same way when I had my Moleskine - kinda like buying an expensive pair of shoes and not wanting to wear them too often.

All I need are a pack of legal pads and my G2 pen.

Also +1 on OneNote > Evernote. Evernote's refusal to add larger text sizing features on their apps was tilting.

15. jpanarra

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    Yup, they were the first ones i switched over to, with my surface pro it was a no brainer.

Andy Black and akTwelve like this.
  16. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,739
    F yeah!

Andy Black likes this.
  17. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $110,207
    Thanks. I could shorten the copy with more time.

A page from last year's trusty Moleskine. This was over coffee with a guy who ran a hand-made kitchen design business...

[​IMG]

18. SparksCW

SparksCW Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,601
    I'm big into technology, I have MacBooks, PC's, iPads, iPhones etc.

Love Trello, it's amazing and it's used daily for goals, targets, communication between me and my staff, thoughts, planning, site ideas, everything.

But as much as I try to take my iPad etc out with me, it's just hassle. I can't type as fast as I can write.

Going back to the "moleskin" I think. And the cheaper pads are great for general ideas and stuff. No reason not to use both depending on what you're doing!

Now I just need a nice pen!

Andy Black likes this.
  19. jpanarra

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    Yeah I've been digesting your post. I might go fish my moleskin outta the trash so I can have it handy for a client meeting. It's something presentable and makes a statement. It's half filled with some notes anyways so it looks like I'm using it.

But I don't see myself using it on a regular basis.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Vigilante and Andy Black like this.
  20. VDon

VDon Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $256
    I always wanted one of those super stylish Indiana Jones type notebooks.

I am not reading my notes, so it would be a complete waste.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Andy Black likes this.
  21. eliquid

eliquid Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,792
    This. G2 is about the best pen ever. I have about 100 of them in a box.

Black ones, blue ones, red ones, etc.

I just don't feel right writing with any other pen unless it flows like the G2

[​IMG]

22. jpanarra

Rep Bank:
    $7,357
    I've used the G-2 for a long time, but the only problem with the G-2 for me is the SMEAR... it smears so easily.. so when i tried the Uni-ball fine point. I never went back. it doesnt write as smooth, but it dries really nice and writes nice too. [​IMG]

Siberia, Andy Black and Vigilante like this.
  23. rollerskates

rollerskates Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $930

I vote for Bic medium all the way. Although, like Andy, I use a Parker pen when I need to be fancy. I love that everyone here is notebook geeks. I have found my people. :)

Andy Black and jpanarra like this.
  24. Invictus

Invictus Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $587
    Hopefully I'll free up some time later to devote an entire post to this, cuz boy can I speak on moleskins and notebooks. But for now I'll reply to the G2 comment.

G2's are my soulmate. I love them to absolute death. Never had one fail on me. They work so well.

There's a few different models of them, I think the most common are the .07 and .05. The .05 is a bit sharper and doesn't smear as much (maybe). I prefer the one that smears, simply for aesthetics, although the smearing is a pain.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Andy Black, Vigilante and jpanarra like this.
  25. wade1mil

wade1mil Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,187
    I usually just use Google docs, but I prefer a TUL pen with a basic notepad if I write. The pens are amazing.

Siberia and Andy Black like this.