The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My First Software Is Now In Development (Thanks MJ)

What Marketing Strategy Do You Think Will Have The BIGGEST Impact On My Business?

• Total voters

Anoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 23, 2017
Walnut Creek, ca
What's up Fastlaners?!

It's been just over a month since I introduced myself in the forum and I've come a long way since first reading TMF.

It took some effort but I found a software development team to work on my first ever software.

The software is based on the commandments in every way as it allows me to free up time, it's scalable, not just anyone can hop in (subscription based software), but most important, people need this tool!

I sent the very first payment and the software will be completed in the next 30-40 days with plans to upgrade the features based on the users requirements.

At this point I'm thinking about the marketing side of things and thinking of the fastest most effective way to get my product in front of the right folks.

Here's my plan :
  • Affiliate Program
  • My Students
  • Other Coaches in my niche
  • Other Students in the number of FB Groups I'm in
  • Additional FB groups that I'm not in
  • Paid FB Advertisement
  • Youtube videos targeting other competitions products or keywords
  • FB Retargeting
  • Email list with automated follow up
  • "Trip Wire" funnel to get people interested in my niche to buy a low priced training from me and upsell on the software (ninja marketing tactic, sorry if it doesn't make sense)
  • Word of Mouth (cause it's gonna be friggin awesome! :)
I have a few other tricks up my sleeve but looking at this list and it's a bit overwhelming.. I don't know how to physically implement half the shit in the list, especially the affiliate program, plus I'm just one guy here.

All of this will require some outsourcing, long nights, obstacles, and it will be a new journey or chapter in my online marketing book for sure - And I can't fricken wait to get started.

It's like my baby is gonna come to life and I get to nurture her up and get here to where she needs to be.. and hey, maybe one day, JUST MAYBE, if I impact enough people I'll make a buck or 2 eh?

IMPORTANT : ANY INPUT FROM YOU ENTREPRENEURS, SOFTWARE DEVS., FULL TIMERS, OR ANYONE WITH HELPFUL TIPS OR CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM PLEASE, I BEG THEE TO CHIME IN!

I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Congrats on getting it developed! But I wouldn't even worry about marketing right now. Make sure it is developed the right way, you need to be very on top of the developers. I say take it one step at a time, make sure it is done well. Then test it out, and check out if it stands to your hopefully strenuous tests.

After this, I'd say it would be good to focus on marketing. I've heard this from a few smart people, which is why I shared. I don't think it's a sin to be forward thinking, but just make sure it is developed well. Also heard too many horror stories of paying $xxx,xxx and the product being a disaster. Better safe than sorry when using your money no?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It always worries me when someone embarks on their first-ever software project. Usually, paying someone to build something for you is a good way to lose money.
A few questions:
1) Did you sketch out every screen and describe the functionality of each button?
2) Do you have a detailed document describing everything about the program?
3) How often do you have progress meetings with the developer(s)? (if its less frequently than once every couple days or so, you're asking for trouble.)

I run a small software development company. Over-communication is the name of the game. Like insane levels of communication. To the point that if a 3rd grader could build your software product at the end of all that, you've done your job.

This cartoon is incredibly true:
Cartoon Link

You'll experience it first hand if you don't get on your developers, now. If you're worried about insulting them, don't be. Developers don't like having to redo things.

I'll let others chime in on marketing. First, though, build a product that works the way you had in mind.

Oh, one other thing: take your developer's feedback to heart. They (should) have a lot of experience with this. At the end of the day, the best products come from a lot of (sometimes heated) discussions.

One final illustration: The reason you have to communicate so much with software is that its possible to build some truly bizarre things in code. Let's take the example of building a custom car. With cars, most people agree on how they should work. Engine is connected to the drive train, which makes the wheels turn. There's a driver's seat, a steering wheel, brakes, etc. You get to customize the body style, the engine type, wheel size, but in the end, you'll get a working, street-legal car.

No one would think, for example, that its a good idea to put the engine on top of the roof, forget to connect it to the drive train, and require that someone sit in a chair next to it feeding it gas with a measuring cup. That would just be silly.

In software? Oh my word. You'd be surprised as to what some developers come up with. "What do you mean that only one person can use this entire website at one time?" You think I'm kidding. A current customer of mine has just such an internal system that thousands of people will end up using. I just fixed that particular bug that the former developer left for us. This is at THE premier university in the US. (yes, as in that one.) If it can happen there, it can happen to you.

Last edited:

Anoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 23, 2017
Walnut Creek, ca
O my GOODNESS... This is GOLD guys... WOW!!!

@Solrac You're completely right man. I've been into online marketing for 5 years so it's my passion and I instantly go into marketing mode but I need to take 5 steps back and make sure this software is exactly as I imaged..

@Jon L Man what insight you just threw my way. I had no idea and to be honest I only started the development about 2 days ago and I will be checking as you suggested..

The reason I paid someone to build something for me is because I didn't want that to be the excuse for not creating my software. So, I looked around to friends and family but no programmers. I was close to sparking a partnership but I felt it wasn't the right fit. That's why I went this route.

Answer to your questions :
1. No
2. Yes
3. Multiple times through the productions and open communication through base camp -

Question - this early in the game what questions, pictures, or information is best to be asking about as I assume they are working on the basic programming now?

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write this up. I will work on my communication and get it to the insane over-communication level as suggested and as I feel it should be to get the best end result for the most effective investment.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
O my GOODNESS... This is GOLD guys... WOW!!!

@Solrac You're completely right man. I've been into online marketing for 5 years so it's my passion and I instantly go into marketing mode but I need to take 5 steps back and make sure this software is exactly as I imaged..

@Jon L Man what insight you just threw my way. I had no idea and to be honest I only started the development about 2 days ago and I will be checking as you suggested..

The reason I paid someone to build something for me is because I didn't want that to be the excuse for not creating my software. So, I looked around to friends and family but no programmers. I was close to sparking a partnership but I felt it wasn't the right fit. That's why I went this route.

Answer to your questions :
1. No
2. Yes
3. Multiple times through the productions and open communication through base camp -

Question - this early in the game what questions, pictures, or information is best to be asking about as I assume they are working on the basic programming now?

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to write this up. I will work on my communication and get it to the insane over-communication level as suggested and as I feel it should be to get the best end result for the most effective investment.
PM me and we can set up a time where I'll show you an example of what I'm talking about.

For others reading this:
EVERYTHING you leave up to the developers to decide will come back screwy.

Here's an example from a current project of mine. We have a front-end developer making a dashboard for a mobile app. The app will be used by 'customers' who will be able to interact with someone they hired through the app. The hired person won't be using the app, but a website interface back in their office. We didn't do a good enough job describing things on the dashboard because the developer threw in a graph of the number of new signups of 'hired' people for the app. Not only do the 'customers' not care about this figure, but 'hired' people don't even use the app. This happened after we explained the full story of the app and the website to the developer. He just didn't 'get' it.

Anoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 23, 2017
Walnut Creek, ca
PM me and we can set up a time where I'll show you an example of what I'm talking about.

For others reading this:
EVERYTHING you leave up to the developers to decide will come back screwy.

Here's an example from a current project of mine. We have a front-end developer making a dashboard for a mobile app. The app will be used by 'customers' who will be able to interact with someone they hired through the app. The hired person won't be using the app, but a website interface back in their office. We didn't do a good enough job describing things on the dashboard because the developer threw in a graph of the number of new signups of 'hired' people for the app. Not only do the 'customers' not care about this figure, but 'hired' people don't even use the app. This happened after we explained the full story of the app and the website to the developer. He just didn't 'get' it.

That gives me a good picture of how things can go..

I truly appreciate that offer and I will be taking you up on it for sure!!

Thanks again!

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I've heard many successful software business owners say you should be embarrassed by your first release (Clay Collins comes to mind). So I wouldn't ignore marketing until you have a "perfect" product. You'll never have a perfect product. Marketing is going to be tougher than building the software anyway. You can also reach out to influencer-type people who might have an audience that would use your products and offer them a sweetheart deal for promoting it. And help people on a forum or website related to your product to grow your name in that market.

Anoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 23, 2017
Walnut Creek, ca
@wade1mil so true about never having a perfect product. There is always room for improvement.

I've been hearing about an MVP a lot, a "minimum viable product," basically get your software out to the world as quickly as possible and let the users decide what features should be added.

I want to offer more than just an MVP but I know this is gonna be a journey and the first product will NOT be perfect. I hope to keep updating the software based on user suggestions and in the background the marketing will have to be strong for sure.. all those years of online marketing will come into play and I can't wait!

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Excellent points by @Jon L. Fantastic job on taking action and executing, manifesting your vision into something real. I don't have much to say, but check out the book "The Lean Startup" by Eric Ries.

I'm not sure if this book resonates with your work, or if it's relevant, but the author provides a guide on how to approach the market, etc.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How do you know people need this tool btw?

Anoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 23, 2017
Walnut Creek, ca
@Argue Purchased this book and will be reading after the book I'm currently re-reading to get back into the state I was while/after reading initial, TMF.. :)

@Andy Black I've been working with my students for a long time now and I found the number one "problem" that continues to come up for each and every student. Don't get me wrong, many of my students making thousands per month in profit but one main issue comes up throughout the process and I built to tool to automate this process.

I have a limited number of personal students but there are thousands of people out there that have the same problem, many of which I've come across over my time in the game, students of other coaches, Facebook groups...

So, i figured if I had the issue, my students, many other students/coaches in my niche, and people in other groups are spending hours then it would be something worth automating. That said, I have not 100% confirmed a need further than this.

What do you think?? I'd love to hear your opinion!

UPDATE : O ya, so there are a couple other similar software that work well but take too much manual work. These tools have TONS of users worldwide so I assumed there is a strong need based on this as well.

zhack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 6, 2017
Philippines
@Anoosh

I don't know how to participate in this forum, but I ended up reading this thread anyways. Just putting my two cents in, most developers are always proud of what they've accomplished or participated in. But it is dynamic environment so, I'd like to share a few things.

1. It's always a match between MVP vs. MVA so make sure you get it done early and have every room for any sprint extensions if ever your audience's needs change.
2. Coming with a software that suits a particular need might end up as just ANOTHER product, unless it becomes as ADDICTIVE as Facebook for your target audience. A developer who is proud to be part of the project is almost always willing to make the product from ANOTHER product to an ADDICTIVE product. You can always be nice to your developers but let them sign an NDA or something (they're scared of legal stuff most of the time), ask them nicely.
3. If the negatives (those people who aren't your target audience) can use your software easily, then probably your positives will enjoy your software. So it might be a good way to test it with your negatives. (Hint: I get my mom into testing my apps)
4. If you find it hard to make sketches (which communication fails most of the time), just show them a similar function on from your competition app and tell them what makes yours different. From a developer's point of view, that is easier to grasp.
5. Protect it as much as you can, one way to protect it is to insist your name on every page of the documentation process of your software. With the NDA above, developers pretty much oblige with it.
6. Another good way of promoting it is through reviews and ratings. Find a way that it gets some sort of rating done. You can have the guys at fiverr or mechturk do this one.

This is my second post here. Hope this helps.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Argue Purchased this book and will be reading after the book I'm currently re-reading to get back into the state I was while/after reading initial, TMF.. :)

@Andy Black I've been working with my students for a long time now and I found the number one "problem" that continues to come up for each and every student. Don't get me wrong, many of my students making thousands per month in profit but one main issue comes up throughout the process and I built to tool to automate this process.

I have a limited number of personal students but there are thousands of people out there that have the same problem, many of which I've come across over my time in the game, students of other coaches, Facebook groups...

So, i figured if I had the issue, my students, many other students/coaches in my niche, and people in other groups are spending hours then it would be something worth automating. That said, I have not 100% confirmed a need further than this.

What do you think?? I'd love to hear your opinion!

UPDATE : O ya, so there are a couple other similar software that work well but take too much manual work. These tools have TONS of users worldwide so I assumed there is a strong need based on this as well.
First sales channel then is to the people who already know, like, and trust you. Can you make any sales now?

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I dont know what your biz will be exactly, but like Andy says, have your existing audience be the marketers. Get it into their hands for free/discount, test and give you feedback as soon as you have a working demo. Once you have a public/sale version, have them buy and market it for you. Next would be reaching out to other coaches/websites/blogs/people in your niche and offer them a demo or free trials or discounts. If you can get the support of people within your niche, this is the foundation that will make all of your other marketing efforts easier and successful.

Seeing affiliate program as #1 on your list isn't probably a great idea. You typically don't see affiliate programs for products until later down the line. With that said, going back to connecting with other "influencers" in your niche, reach out to them and have them promote your software to their audiences via their website/email list for a cut of the sales. This way your tapping into your market and getting the exposure you're going to need to grow/get off to a good start and if it's any good, you should generate a good bit of sales a lot faster.

Anoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 23, 2017
Walnut Creek, ca
@zhack Thanks for such an amazing post!!! There is a TON of golden nuggets in here and the ones the resonated the most with my current situation are #3 So it might be a good way to test it with your negatives. (Hint: I get my mom into testing my apps) - If my girlfriend who has been around me for over a decade and listens to my shit all the time can hop on and use this tool, then my target will do very well.

#4 This is a great tip and I will use this for sure! There are similar products in my niche that I may be able to help my developers get an idea about what I'm trying to accomplish.

#5 + #6 This is gold. I don't have any idea how to protect this as my own but I DID get an NDA signed beforehand so off to a good start at least. I hadn't thought of setting up some sort of review system, I guess I assumed they would show up but why not MAKE them show up where my target audience is looking!

@Andy Black Man you hit things dead-on. I've picked up "know, like, and trust" a while back and it's stuck with me. I DO have a number of coaches that I've become personal friends with, all of which have students that would go nuts over this software. The only thing stopping me from selling now is that the software is not complete.

I've been re-reading Jeff Walker's Launch book and would like to do a "seed" launch - basically build a list of people interested in the product and strategically "launch" it to that list to boost initial sales. I've got a lot on my plate but I think this will be a great way to get initial subscriptions.

@AdamMaxum Thanks for this great post. You're TOTALLY right!! If it's such an amazing software and I get it into the hands of the "influencers," then naturally they will spread the word which could be huge.

As for the affiliate marketing part, It's just up at the top because I've been online marketing for years and started with affiliate marketing myself so I know the power of it and have done very well with it myself.

I've learned a lot in this here thread and will be focused on development at this point and go from there.

Ladies and gentleman, put your tray tables up and in the locked position! We're going for a ride :)

zhack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 6, 2017
Philippines
@Anoosh You're very much welcome! I'm a software developer and I'm pretty much on the other side, I know how it is. Yes it is possible to get people to rate it, to speed up your marketing. Protecting it means, letting your developers literally type your name on every page of their code as a comment. They can have a snippet with your name on it.
something like:
/**
* Product By: Anoosh
*/

Do you already have an MVP (minimum viable product), then you should START making sales to get feedback. Do you already have control over an MVA (minimum viable audience), then you should start taking surveys from them. By the way, people hate taking surveys, but if you give them some sort of reward (or a mention in your blog or something), they'd be glad to pitch their ideas in. And I guarantee you, the greatest ideas on what to improve on your product usually come from your MVA.

Last edited:

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
As a developer looking to transition to a entrepreneur there was some good points here....do any of you guys use Viso? It's a flowchart/diagram type of program. It uses the uml you could also draw graphs as well. It's useful to me so I thought I'll share.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.