The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Execution Plan

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I've been listening to episode 46 of the SPI podcast where Pat interviews Dane Maxwell. During that interview, Dane mentions how he'll find the top 10 listings on Google for a particular market, and then send out a 3 sentence email to the owners of those business asking for information on their pain points. As an individual who studies martial arts, I'm planning on executing Dane's strategy for the top 10 karate dojos in my area.

My other plan is to read the AMA on Dane and the Foundation. $6000 for 6 months seems very pricey, so I'm interested in reading what the TFF community has said about it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I don't like his ideas about finding needs in industries you have no idea about

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I've been listening to episode 46 of the SPI podcast where Pat interviews Dane Maxwell. During that interview, Dane mentions how he'll find the top 10 listings on Google for a particular market, and then send out a 3 sentence email to the owners of those business asking for information on their pain points. As an individual who studies martial arts, I'm planning on executing Dane's strategy for the top 10 karate dojos in my area.

My other plan is to read the AMA on Dane and the Foundation. $6000 for 6 months seems very pricey, so I'm interested in reading what the TFF community has said about it.
I also found this forum researching The Foundation. I stopped my research and never looked back.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Just go research idea extraction, you don't need to pay Dane.

EDIT- and don't start a thread that is obviously idea extraction for something you're clueless about on the forum. Please.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Just go research idea extraction, you don't need to pay Dane.

EDIT- and don't start a thread that is obviously idea extraction for something you're clueless about on the forum. Please.

What? I'm not asking for ideas on this thread. I am publicly stating that I am going to do that on owners of karate dojos as well as read a bit on Dane Maxwell and the Foundation. I'm detailing out the steps I am going to take. If people want to weigh in with opinions of either of those 2 topics, that's fine, but that's not the aim of this thread. Public accountability is the aim.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I also found this forum researching The Foundation. I stopped my research and never looked back.

Thanks for the input, I read the last post on the AMA thread, where someone echoed similar sentiments. This make me a bit more curious about people's experiences and thoughts on the matter.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Thanks for the input, I read the last post on the AMA thread, where someone echoed similar sentiments. This make me a bit more curious about people's experiences and thoughts on the matter.

I've gotten so much more here for a lot less money than I would have from the foundation. A much broader scope of studies here.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

If they are in the top 10 listings on Google (paid or non-paid) then one of their pain points could be not enough leads.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
So, brief update. Last night was mostly a wash since I upgraded to El Capitan and then had to figure out why Mail.app broke (GnuGPG). Then my wife convinced me to watch the latest episode of Once on Hulu+ :embarrased:

Anyways, I did a search on Google, and make a list of the top 15 results, making note if the owners had an email or a contact form. I also briefly reviewed the show notes from that episode and decided on this text:

Strange Question?

Hello there! I'm doing some market research on the software that dojos use. I'm curious to know if there's been anything you've been looking for in the past that you can't seem to find? If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the biggest pain points you have? Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Tonight, I am going to go through that list and send out that text to all the dojos. The only point I am debating mentally is if I want to portay myself as female. The episode indicates a slightly higher response rate for that, but it seems a bit dishonest to me.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Emails sent, contact forms filled out. Now I see if I get nay bites. Time to work on some iOS applications, and some planning.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Emails sent, contact forms filled out. Now I see if I get nay bites. Time to work on some iOS applications, and some planning.
I'm very curious if this works. I sent a similar email to some other market...commercial real estate brokers, I think, and got nothing.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Hmmm... how was his email worded?

I would think the goal would be to get permission to interview them over the phone.... not to actually get them to tell you their pain points via email. Look forward to seeing if this works out for ya.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hmmm... how was his email worded?

I would think the goal would be to get permission to interview them over the phone.... not to actually get them to tell you their pain points via email. Look forward to seeing if this works out for ya.

His email was worded in a similar fashion, but yes, the goal is to cast a wide net, see who responds, and then follow up with those people.

I'm very curious if this works. I sent a similar email to some other market...commercial real estate brokers, I think, and got nothing.

I think if I can get a few responses, it might be good. As it turns out, I did one, stating the problem was attendance recording.

Interestingly enough, when I got involved in my dojo, I had a similar thought. At the time, I had just completed Coursera's operations management course and was thinking that by keeping an accurate record of attendance records, some statistics could be applied to give owners an idea of how many students would be in a class on a given night, and they could line balance accordingly. But that whole line of thought might be a solution in search of a problem, I need to get the ones who respond on the phone.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
So, had a nice conversation with the owner of the dojo for around 45 minutes. He mentioned his big concerns were keeping track of attendance records and following up with leads from free events like birthday parties and community programs. I've got some ideas, so now it's time to make some mockups and get his feedback.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Just like most small business, marketing problems and lack of time.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Yesterday, a bit more iOS learning. Tonight, follow up with the people who didn't respond, a bit of brief research into wireframing tools, then working on a wireframe. Also doing some research on lead gen and followup for small businesses like this (not a service business per say).

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
On the principle that the "fortune is in the follow-up", I sent out a second email to the owners who didn't respond back to the first email. I also spent about 20 minutes researching wireframing software before deciding on Justinmind. Off to make some wireframes and send them off to the original owner.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Spoke with another dojo owner, but he seems to have gone dark, I'll follow up with him in the morning. I also spent some time detailing out an MVP for this product to send to my first contact. I also started wireframing, and immediately hit the mental sludge I get when I start using a tool I am not familiar with.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
So, updates. The past 2 days have been a little hectic, as I've had to work on some issues at home. However, I did decide Justinmind was vastly too complex for what I needed. Instead, I am trying out an app called Sketch. Also, I worked a bit on an Upwork profile. I got some advice on how to improve, so my goals for the next few days are to rework and improve my profile, and create a few wireframes in Sketch.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
So, a brief update. My plans with the dojo attendance fell through. A small failure, but that's to be expected. However, I was busy working on a contract with someone at Upwork, which I completed (and even got a small bonus.) This lead to another job with the same person for a larger project. I'm also working with another business owner on some ideas on how to increase conversion rates for his site. In addition, I'm meeting back with another dojo owner this week to talk about ways I can help him. So, twists, turns, minor setback, but still trying to make progress.

I also realized I didn't like my "personal brand" on my blog, and decided to change topics a little.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Anyone familiar with Pat Flynn's Niche Site Duel? It looks like a good tool to learn on, anyone with experience on it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.