The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money Can't Buy Happiness!

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
The attitude "money can't buy happiness" is so dishonest that it's borderline evil.

There are so many terrible things that happen in the world that could've been fixed with money. There are so many times where lack of money causes such awful suffering.

Mostly just uttered by people defending their laziness. If every "money can't buy happiness" type boosted their incomes by 50% and invested it into medical research, malaria wouldn't even be a thing by now.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm sure the dopamine rush I get whenever I deposit money into my account is just a societal construct.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
“But money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver. It will give you the means for the satisfaction of your desires, but it will not provide you with desires. Money is the scourge of the men who attempt to reverse the law of causality–the men who seek to replace the mind by seizing the products of the mind.

Money will not purchase happiness for the man who has no concept of what he wants: money will not give him a code of values, if he’s evaded the knowledge of what to value, and it will not provide him with a purpose, if he’s evaded the choice of what to seek....The men of intelligence desert him, but the cheats and the frauds come flocking to him, drawn by a law which he has not discovered: that no man may be smaller than his money. Is this the reason why you call it evil?

“Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns–or dollars. Take your choice–there is no other–and your time is running out.”

by Ayn Rand
“Francisco’s Money Speech” | Capitalism Magazine

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My father has Parkinson’s disease and it’s getting worse. I found out that there might be a hospital in China that can help. But the treatment could take more than a year. Imagine how much that's going to cost! With money I can drop everything, fly my father over there for treatment and let him get well. That would have been something money can buy.
Traditional medicine?

Feels new to me that you are going to China for an alternative to the Western norm. Where I come from, hospital trips to the West are almost conceived as a treat lol.

Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can:

1) buy you the best (organic) food and supplements so your body can have the nutrients it needs

2) buy you a comfortable house so you can live well there

3) give you freedom to indulge in the otherwise “useless” (or should I say less profitable) passion, like traveling, becoming an artist (both kinds), playing video games etc

4) allow you to help others in a grand scale, like building a hospital and give free treatment to the poor and underprivileged, or buying an entire forest just to preserve it. Tell me how you can do that without money?

My father has Parkinson’s disease and it’s getting worse. I found out that there might be a hospital in China that can help. But the treatment could take more than a year. Imagine how much that's going to cost! With money I can drop everything, fly my father over there for treatment and let him get well. That would have been something money can buy.

But it can buy chocolate and Dr. Peppers and that makes me happy :)

Yes, I'm just a big kid.
Dan Pena used to say, 'If you think you can't buy happiness with money, you don't know where to shop for it."

For myself, I've been pretty happy buying UNSCRIPTED for my girl, and buying ingredients to bake for her.:smile:

Not every girl has the opportunity to get baked goods not from a bakery, and books to change her life.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
Traditional medicine?

Feels new to me that you are going to China for an alternative to the Western norm. Where I come from, hospital trips to the West are almost conceived as a treat lol.

Not exactly traditional medicine. They have a special medical device that seems pretty convincing. Coupled that with traditional medicine patients can see improvements in their condition.

The current standard treatment for Parkinson’s disease is not really effective. It’s like taking sleeping pills. It works initially but after some time you need to keep increasing the dosage, until it eventually fails you. That’s why my father refused treatment.

By the way, my location is MY. Hope you get that subtle reference. :smuggy:

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I think Tony Robbins is right in that progress = happiness. This is why people are happy doing even seemingly menial things, even if they're miserable at their dead-end job where they can't "progress", they come home and are happy progressing through an RPG video game, binging through the latest season of Whatever, losing weight, working out, lifting weights and progressing towards your desired body, building a business, shopping and progressing towards their optimal wardrobe, cooking and progressing towards their desired meal, collecting rewards or getting to the next tier in whatever membership they're in, etc.

Ultimately, once you reach the level you were aiming for, you will realize "Uh, this is it?", and you'll need to find something else to aim for, or self-sabotage and lose some of your progress so you can do it again.

There was a case not long ago of the guy who sold Minecraft to Microsoft for billions and then he became depressed. It seems ridiculous, but it makes perfect sense, now the journey is over and you don't know what to do. The "progress" you were feeling is gone. More material things isn't going to do it for you. You have to find a new journey.

That's also why people say giving to people in need brings happiness. That journey is never over. There will always be people who need.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Finally! Gotten on Quora!:p

Another great platform to share the Fastlane doctrine....but stay away from the freelance section. Full of 'I want to make money' or 'Can you lead me by the hand' kind of questions. I somehow still got their questions on my feed although I blocked the section out from my Quora areas of interest.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Not exactly traditional medicine. They have a special medical device that seems pretty convincing. Coupled that with traditional medicine patients can see improvements in their condition.

The current standard treatment for Parkinson’s disease is not really effective. It’s like taking sleeping pills. It works initially but after some time you need to keep increasing the dosage, until it eventually fails you. That’s why my father refused treatment.

By the way, my location is MY. Hope you get that subtle reference. :smuggy:
Malaysia? No way.....:clench::clench::clench:

For how long?

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
Malaysia? No way.....:clench::clench::clench:

For how long?

Since birth? LOL.. I chuckled a bit when I see the "where I come from" remark.. I set my location as MY from the very first day I joined this forum. I figured no one would be bothered and I was right :clench:. Locations don't really matter in this forum, what's important is the sharing :p

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a hair transplant , which is pretty damn close to happiness.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a hair transplant , which is pretty damn close to happiness.

Maybe it can't always buy happiness, but poverty often does 'buy' unhappiness.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Money could buy me a helicopter... You know what would make me happier right now? Dinner at my favorite BBQ restaurant in Austin.

Last edited:

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
FOTQ7TFWQAs0xiI

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.