The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mastery - Robert Greene/George Leonard - Sustainable practices for Mastery!

Anything related to matters of the mind

NewJamesBond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Nov 29, 2015
I'm finding more and more that the reason in the past my businesses have failed is not because they weren't profitable enough or that they weren't scalable (some of them weren't scalable though, like Freelancing/Consulting), but instead they failed because I worked so hard in the beginning and quickly burnt out. I was interested in making a quick burst of cash rather then creating sustainable practices that would lead me to earning a lot more. I've taken a pretty good break from running any type of business. I have held on to a few clients, but thats it.

I read George Leonard's book Mastery.
I have yet to read Robert Greene's book on Mastery, but it's on my list.
George Leonard writes, "At the heart of it, mastery is practice. Mastery is staying on the path."

George Leonard suggests the following 3 people who most commonly fail on their journey to mastery....
In the past I have very much been the obsessive...

1tcEbYZ.png

I am currently transitioning back into business and with mastery in mind I am trying to create system so that I will never run out of clients, prospects, and also continually be getting better at my craft. I'm trying to make it so I don't obsessed on the results, but instead just do my work each day and try to be consistently working to get better at closing deals and doing my work.

Would love to see how others react to that image above and also what they think about mastery...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm finding more and more that the reason in the past my businesses have failed is not because they weren't profitable enough or that they weren't scalable (some of them weren't scalable though, like Freelancing/Consulting), but instead they failed because I worked so hard in the beginning and quickly burnt out. I was interested in making a quick burst of cash rather then creating sustainable practices that would lead me to earning a lot more. I've taken a pretty good break from running any type of business. I have held on to a few clients, but thats it.

George Leonard writes, "At the heart of it, mastery is practice. Mastery is staying on the path."

George Leonard suggests the following 3 people who most commonly fail on their journey to mastery....

1tcEbYZ.png

I am currently transitioning back into business and with mastery in mind I am trying to create system so that I will never run out of clients, prospects, and also continually be getting better at my craft. I'm trying to make it so I don't obsessed on the results, but instead just do my work each day and try to be consistently working to get better at closing deals and doing my work.

Would love to see how others react to that image above and also what they think about mastery...
I just can't not do what I'm doing. It totally fascinates me, and does so more and more each year.

Motivation isn't even a word for me. I do the same as I breathe. I love what I do.

Reminds me of this video that I love:

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I believe that every entrepreneur goes through all three phases at one point or another.

Of course, success comes when you adopt the "Hacker" mindset as your dominant mindset.

That being said, it is still necessary to be a bit of a dabbler -- as it helps you discover new possibilities that relate to your path -- and a bit obsessive -- as it helps you push through the inevitable hard times.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
George Leonard spawned Robert Greene's Mastery, and his insights are deeper, stemming from deep Aikido practice.

“Perhaps we'll never know how far the path can go, how much a human being can truly achieve, until we realize that the ultimate reward is not a gold medal but the path itself.”

This is more of a go to book for craftsmen engaged in an activity that requires mastery in a narrow scope of skills. This would be maker-types such as painters, writers, programmers, mechanics, martial artists, and people who relish attaining mastery over the material acquisition of goods. There is a personality that seeks this called the ISTP. When Connor Mcrgregor MMA Fighter was asked about whether he cared about the prize money, he replied, "I care more about the gold. The gold in that belt. The money comes when you do something really really well. The money is part of the package, but not the aim."

I see many people here at least in self-pub (where i operate) dabble, and some are obsessive with gigantic word count goals, only to fail by quitting. There is a term used in sanskrit it is called, Arambhasura, which means a hero at the beginning. You don't want to be Arambhasura, you must be a hero at the end, and that means pushing through plateaus -an important concept in Leonard's book referring to periods of stagnation and even regressions- and sticking with something to the end. Like a Japanese doll that bounces back up again. Again, there is a type that gravitates to this type of thinking, and not necessarily applicable to all.

Last edited:

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
I believe that every entrepreneur goes through all three phases at one point or another.

Of course, success comes when you adopt the "Hacker" mindset as your dominant mindset.

That being said, it is still necessary to be a bit of a dabbler -- as it helps you discover new possibilities that relate to your path -- and a bit obsessive -- as it helps you push through the inevitable hard times.

I like this approach. As entrepreneurs, we move through states. Formless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YeabsiraHaile101

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 28, 2021

1tcEbYZ.png

Never heard of Mastery by George Leonard but Robert Greene that book is in my radar for a weeks is there anyone who suggests it..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.