The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing books for my start-up

Marketing, social media, advertising

Jmartoral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 1, 2020
New York
Hi everyone! First post here. Just finished Fastlane and loved the content, very grateful to have come across such a diverse and creative group of individuals on this forum.
I'm currently a real estate investor and in the process of finishing our start-up tailored to homeowners. I've been running Google AdWords but not much traction happening there. I spoke to an AdWords rep yesterday who advised me on things to change so giving that a few days to see what difference it makes. I've also been writing blog posts to have them ready once the developer has the blog widget added to the site (probably won't be for another few weeks though). I have posted on social media and promoted some of the posts, but I've honestly felt it's been more of a waste of time and money than it has been beneficial.
My point is, I'm a bit of at a dead end when it comes to what ways to get this site out to the masses. Anyone have any good books they recommend on how I can broaden my horizons when it comes to marketing or books that recommend to use the marketing avenues I have already started but maximizing them?
Any help would be super appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick T

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Aug 26, 2020
Hi everyone! First post here. Just finished Fastlane and loved the content, very grateful to have come across such a diverse and creative group of individuals on this forum.
I'm currently a real estate investor and in the process of finishing our start-up tailored to homeowners. I've been running Google AdWords but not much traction happening there. I spoke to an AdWords rep yesterday who advised me on things to change so giving that a few days to see what difference it makes. I've also been writing blog posts to have them ready once the developer has the blog widget added to the site (probably won't be for another few weeks though). I have posted on social media and promoted some of the posts, but I've honestly felt it's been more of a waste of time and money than it has been beneficial.
My point is, I'm a bit of at a dead end when it comes to what ways to get this site out to the masses. Anyone have any good books they recommend on how I can broaden my horizons when it comes to marketing or books that recommend to use the marketing avenues I have already started but maximizing them?
Any help would be super appreciated!

Hello,

You would probably get a lot out of Russel Brunson's books. A quick search on Amazon will bring them up.

You should start an execution thread and document your progress. This way we can all learn as you go about your journey. You can also drop your product idea in the idea thread, and have people look at in order to give you feedback.

Have you sat down with your customers to do qualitative testing? This will give you huge insights with people who are not as close to your product. Create customer avatars... know who you are talking to... just homeowners is too broad... you need to focus on things like demographics, and psychometrics. Then move on to modalities, and which environment you want to market to them through.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
If they knew what they were talking about they wouldn't be working for Google as an advisor for $30k/year ... they'd be running their own shit.

Sometimes its easier to just outsource it to someone that knows their shit.

... @Andy Black

Jmartoral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 1, 2020
New York
Hello,

You would probably get a lot out of Russel Brunson's books. A quick search on Amazon will bring them up.

You should start an execution thread and document your progress. This way we can all learn as you go about your journey. You can also drop your product idea in the idea thread, and have people look at in order to give you feedback.

Have you sat down with your customers to do qualitative testing? This will give you huge insights with people who are not as close to your product. Create customer avatars... know who you are talking to... just homeowners is too broad... you need to focus on things like demographics, and psychometrics. Then move on to modalities, and which environment you want to market to them through.

Thank you! Looks like I actually had DotCom Secrets in my Want To Read list so I'll check that one out first.

I'll take a look at the threads you suggested as well. Still getting familiar with the forum.

I have done some market research. I'm part of a real estate group and surveyed all of the homeowners, most were excited about the idea. Ideal customer is millennials and Gen X who are into DIY projects, digitally savvy, and comfortable with the shared economy (Airbnb, Uber, etc) as the site is for homeowners who want to rent their tools to neighbors. I've done the market research and market validation part; my issue is really getting the message out there effectively using digital media channels.

Jmartoral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 1, 2020
New York
If they knew what they were talking about they wouldn't be working for Google as an advisor for $30k/year ... they'd be running their own shit.

... @Andy Black

That would be ideal, but I'm trying to be as lean as possible right now since we did have to outsource the dev work. Trying to tackle the go-to-market without having to spend additional capital.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
- "Blue Ocean Strategy" - W. Chan Kim
- "This is Marketing" - Seth Godin
- "The Ultimate Marketing Plan" - Dan Kennedy

There are many more. But these gave me a decent understanding of what marketing actually is.

Jmartoral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 1, 2020
New York
- "Blue Ocean Strategy" - W. Chan Kim
- "This is Marketing" - Seth Godin
- "The Ultimate Marketing Plan" - Dan Kennedy

There are many more. But these gave me a decent understanding of what marketing actually is.
Thank you!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

... @Andy Black
Thanks for the tag. Maybe check out the links in my signature @Jmartoral, possibly starting with the last link.

Jmartoral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 1, 2020
New York
Ideally, for running a startup, you should at minimum read Seth Godin’s This Is Marketing. To run a startup’s marketing you need an overview of the entire marketing process with an understanding of the fundamentals.

Seth’s book does that brilliantly. Other specific details will be more useful and easier to pick up once you have an overview! :)
Perfect. With just these answers I will be busy for a few weeks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.