The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marijuana and Success... Possible?

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
haha what sorta vape do you have Bryan?
I love my "da buddha" vape, and i'm thinking about buying an Iolite soon :)

And yeah, do ya think that maybe everyone has a negative opinion of weed 'cause all they ever smoked was schwag?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
CrazyPenguin said:
do ya think that maybe everyone has a negative opinion of weed 'cause all they ever smoked was schwag?
I'm sure more than a few ex-weed smokers laughed at that one.

C'mon guys.

Do you really think that the bud being grown right now is the best that's ever been?

Or is that just what you want to believe, b/c the lifetime stoners tell you it's the best (hint: memory-wise, your most recent toke seems way better than one you took a year ago).

Do I miss smoking pot?

Yeah. Made shitty stuff seem much better than it was (food, sex, work, life in general).

Do I want to ever go back to smoking weed?

No.

My life without it is so much better, there is no comparison.

MJ put it well:

I prefer to get high on life, and not use a middle man.

But that's just me.

-Russ H.

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
oh hell no, not for one second do I think that the weed now is the best stuff out there. In fact from my conversations with stoners my fathers age or older, I have no doubt that some of the South American and Thai strains from the 60's/70's and 80's are/were much much stronger and more "psychedelic" than even some of the "best" stuff out there now. But I'd kinda doubt that EVERYONE was smoking Panama Red, Colombian Gold, Thai Stick, etc., just like not everyone these days is smoking AK47, Kali Mist, or Cheese.

Maybe I'm wrong and everyone back then was smoking the same stuff, I don't know, unfortunatly I wasn't around for those days.
Perhaps what I mean to say is that maybe a few of the people who are against it now because they didn't enjoy it then, just weren't smoking the right type of weed for them. Note that I said "a few of the people", because I realize that obviously weed isn't for everybody, and thats fine.
I just know that every now and then I'll get a bag that gives me a stuffy nose, a dry mouth, and makes me feel like doggie poo.... and other times I get a bag that tastes like grapefruit, doesn't give me the munchies, puts me in a GREAT mood and makes me wanna GET STUFF DONE!
And a lot of time its somewhere inbetween!

I realize in my previous post I said "Everyone" where I should have, and meant to say "Some people", and for that I appologize

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Randallg99 said:
this is a ridiculous thread
Indubitably.

:jackson::jackson::jackson:

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I highly recommend the movie: Union: The business behind getting high to everyone who wants to learn more about this issue.

TheUnionWeb

It seems when people learn the truth, they will make the conscious choice on the issue without much debate.

G

Guest3722A

The LEGAL side of the industry itself is being pioneered right now, thanks to CNBC's push to get this emerging multi-billion dollar industry before the public's eye in a more positive light. Several states are starting to go medicinal-use and legal and creative entrepreneurs are capitalizing BIG. An example that I know of that is here in Michigan in the City of Southfield, is a school that recently emerged that teaches LEGAL card holders how to grow, and there was just a writeup about the founder of the school and guess what? He's making $80,000 month! Yes the medicinal industry is currently in the wild west stage with the confusion and slippery slopes of law, but this is a new and emerging multi-billion dollar industry that is there for the LEGAL taking, and before the market saturates with a Phillip Morris or something of the like, it may be worth taking a look at it it fits within ones values.

Myself personally, I truly believe that within 5-10 years the varieties of quality will parallel the same acceptances as those similar to the varieties of fine wines.

A fastlane idea perhaps for some?

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
haha what sorta vape do you have Bryan?
I love my "da buddha" vape, and i'm thinking about buying an Iolite soon :)

And yeah, do ya think that maybe everyone has a negative opinion of weed 'cause all they ever smoked was schwag?

Even Cigarettes are now socially unacceptable. They're disgusting, and if you smoke cigs -- You offend over 50% of the population who do not. It makes you stink, it makes your breath terrible, and it makes your teeth yellow. It's annoying when I can hear your "Doc Holliday" smokers cough 5 cubes down in the office. If you are dating, your "dating pool" is shrinking each year, if you continue to smoke cigs... If you want to be a success in business, do you really think it's a good idea that you smoke anything?

On the other hand -- Alcohol in moderation is still socially acceptable, and it will remain so for the forseeable future. I know it makes you dopers bitter about the unfairness of it all, but it's a simple truth... Time to wake up to reality folks, and just accept it. You're not going to make it socially acceptable for someone to light up a joint at a black tie dinner. It just ain't happening folks.... Not even on the balcony!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak :fastlane:

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
John has many good points, and I'm going to tell you something a little controversial. If any job you ever apply for asks if you've ever done pot, lie.

*Edit: And now I go back to read the rest of the thread. Had to say that before I forgot my point.

Apr 27, 2010
Marijuana is money. If you have it, you have exchangeable wealth. This is the primary reason it is illegal.

Nothing makes it Socially Unacceptable or Socially Acceptable other than the Beliefs of the Society at large.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Wow, you know I didn't know just how old this thread was when I replied earlier.

To keep to the spirit of the year past, I guess I'll explain my own viewpoint a little bit.

1: The people I grew up with don't have much aspiration. Lower middle-class with plenty of "welfare bums". The situation is good enough that the crime is low, but bad enough that the social structure breeds anti-success.
Anyway, some of them are pot smokers of various degrees. Without aspiration, the drug helps to increase the value of their time. It reduces petty drama significantly (unlike the drinkers I know.) It doesn't seem to particularly cause the lack of aspiration itself, but it doesn't help them.

2: Yes, I know a few burnouts. Most of the pot smokers I know are fine, but a few of them are basically a waste of skin now. Is it from pure pot, or pot cut with other stuff? I don't know. I do know that some of the dealers around here aren't exactly moral enough to not lace it with something... Even if it's something as simple as hairspray to make it sticky.

3: So is it a good or bad thing? Bad, if you're addicted. Yes, you can be addicted just the same as I'm addicted to pop. No, I'm not addicted to the caffeine. Light sodas make me just as happy as dark. (in Canada, it's illegal to caffeinate clear soda. Too bad, it made mountain dew awesome.)
... I sincerely believe the people I know who have no aspiration would be better off gaining some, but I doubt most of them have the ability. They might as well enjoy all the borrowed high they can get. It makes them easier to be around. They think all the philosophetical gibberish and swirly art they produce on it is significant... It makes things better, but it doesn't promote growth and enrichment of the community nor individual.
So to answer myself, it has good and bad aspects.

Speedingpenguine might be the exception to my experiences and observations. But then, I don't know if Speeding is raised with the same general mentality and ethic of my peers or not and that can make all the difference in the world.

Apr 27, 2010
smile_popcorn222.gif

eloise

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 29, 2010
O town
You are so right,I was once told "you are who you hang with"!! It is illegal and if you plan to move forward in life, get rid of it!! Let me pose this question to you, when you finally have your life wealth built up and a great company, what happens when you finally get caught with it? You are back to where you started, with nothing. And ponder this, everything we do in the dark eventually comes to the light!! If you want to move forward with life and live it to the fullest until it overflows, then do it with clean hands and a pure heart and you will be blessed in everything that you do!! And remember as you are blessed always give to those that are in need of your help. Lead your life generously so those around you will be generous back to you.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Nothing makes it Socially Unacceptable or Socially Acceptable other than the Beliefs of the Society at large.

That is exactly correct, and society at large believes you shouldn't do it. Until that reality changes, you're screwed my friend... And I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

zipan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 14, 2011
Here a view links about cannabis!! Check them out, they are EYE-OPENING!! :p

What Everybody Should Know About Cannabis

YouTube - What Everybody Should Know About Cannabis

Why Marijuana Remains Illegal

YouTube - Why Marijuana Remains Illegal

The True Reason Pot is Illegal

YouTube - The True Reason Pot is Illegal

Here an other link about hennep:

Marijuana and Hemp Story: Introduction (Page 1 of 10)

"United States Presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp, used products made from hemp, and praised the hemp plant in some of their writings. Under the laws written by today's politicians, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would be considered a threat to society--they would be arrested and thrown in prison for the felony crime of growing plants."

The fathers of the United States used hemp. Even the Constitution of the United States was written on hemp so be a patriot and smoke!! :p

That's just a joke, but if you want to smoke, smoke the damn plant!! :p

You don't need to worry if it's possible to smoke and have success.

Life isn't a marathon!!

You must also relax for having success and pot can give you that!! :p
Without relaxing you can't achieving anything!! It's one of the key elements that divide the best athletes of the world with just good athletes. If you want more information about that you must read the book of Tony Schwartz - The Power Of Full Engagement.

Amazon.com: The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal (9780743226752): Jim Loehr, Tony Schwartz: Books

I highly recommend this book!!
Tony Schwartz says that time isn't our main asset, but energy!!
And in my opinion he's right!!

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipan

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Wow, that's a hell of a necro

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Ah, the pot thread resurfaces . . .

Zipan, did you even bother *reading* the previous pages? Your links are redundant.

-Russ H.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have no problem with people who smoke weed as a lifestyle. I do hate when people proselytize it and complain nonstop about how it should be legalized and the benefits of it and blah, blah, blah. The people who fight for it are just as annoying as the people who fight against it.

Drew

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2011
Philadelphia
I hate to proselytize like a dirty hippy but I'm one of the people who thinks it should be legalized and taxed like crazy. I think it's less harmful than alcohol and most of the prescription drugs found in any given medicine cabinet, but most people don't know how to make oxycodone or brew beer in their backyards like they do marijuana; therefore, it creates major competition for huge industries with no one really left to capitalize on the commodity but tax payers and the deficit if it's controlled properly. This is why big pharma and beer companies, or what have you, aggressively lobby against the legalization of pot. If I were a real hippy I'd tell you how great hemp is.

As far as it hindering success goes, I think for the most part it does but no more than it would for someone who did pills or drank just as much as they who smoke. I used to have a job that did surprise drug tests so I stopped smoking it, although I still hung around those who did, but now that I don't get tested anymore my rule is that I don't pay for it or posses it. Once in a while if I'm out somewhere and it's offered to me, then sure why not - I don't want to be a stiff!

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Well put Drew. Like I said, I have nothing against it and I knew that it's not even as harmful as most prescription drugs. I just hate when people push too hard at either side of the issue.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
. . . Once in a while if I'm out somewhere and it's offered to me, then sure why not - I don't want to be a stiff!

Yep.

Talk to folks in rehab. That's how most got started-- peer pressure, being "in", and having fun.

Nothing wrong w/any of that-- but one thing:

The longer you live your life floating around on what other people think, the harder it's going to be for you to chart your own course.

Do what YOU want to do.

But figure out what that is, first.

-Russ H.

Drew

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2011
Philadelphia
Would you say the same thing to someone who has a drink if they happen to be at a friends house? To me it's the equivalent of someone offering you a beer if your watching a football game. I can understand where your coming from though, as I've seen it lead people to pills and cocaine. I was around a load of different crap for a while but never touched it, now I don't associate myself with anyone who does anything but drink and smoke the occasional joint.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
It's easy to say that smoking pot leads to harder drugs but I think it's more accurate to say smoking cigaretts leads to doing other drugs. Lets all remember that cigaretts are drugs and very addictive.

G

Guest3722A

A friend from high school days friended me on facebook recently and when I logged in a couple nights ago he had posted on his page that one of the guys from back in the day died over the weekend and I asked what happened and he told me that he quit all of the drugs years ago and became a full blown alcoholic which apparently took his life. I never knew he had a problem with drugs or alcohol for that matter but the point here is that his life was ended by an addiction to alcohol, and he was young.

I'm not making an argument for or against marijuana, and there are so many dynamics to this, but the reality is alcohol has been legal for around 90 years and it just claimed another life. Addiction is the problem.

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Prohibition of mind altering substances in general needs to stop.

It's not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedoms. If they really cared to stop it they would try to curb demand.

Prohibition CREATES demand! Cocaine is damn near worthless in Columbia.

Tell a human not to do something or they can't have something and guess what? They just want it more. And we do this to people from an early age. It all starts with the D.A.R.E. program. Send the cop into the classroom to demonize and lie about these substances, their effects, and their consequences. The end result? Kids who are now more curious about these substances AND completely misinformed about them!

Drug education should not come from police officers, and needs to be taken seriously and treated with respect. Altering ones consciousness can have many profound benefits. Like anything we consume, moderation and respect is key.

What if people were educated about drugs and based their decision to do them on information and logic, not fear and scare tactics?

Bill Hicks anyone? [R rated for language]

[video=youtube;vX1CvW38cHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA[/video]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
What if people were educated about drugs and based their decision to do them on information and logic, not fear and scare tactics?

What a remarkable idea.

In other words, instead of blaming society, or peer pressure, or cops talking about DARE, the person would actually say, "I CHOSE to do drugs"?

They'd take responsibility for their addiction?

And they would proceed with the abuse, learning about what it does to them, and take the drugs responsibly?

And not use them to ESCAPE, or DULL THE PAIN, or HELP THEM FORGET how f***ed up their life is?

Radical idea.

-Russ H.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
What a remarkable idea.

In other words, instead of blaming society, or peer pressure, or cops talking about DARE, the person would actually say, "I CHOSE to do drugs"?

They'd take responsibility for their addiction?

And they would proceed with the abuse, learning about what it does to them, and take the drugs responsibly?

And not use them to ESCAPE, or DULL THE PAIN, or HELP THEM FORGET how f***ed up their life is?

Radical idea.

-Russ H.

I recommend this.

I've been smoking weed for the past few months (ever since I moved to California– go figure!), and I must say it complements my life quite well.

Of course, I only smoke late at night (10pm-12pm), as it DRASTICALLY cuts into productivity.

Great way to relax, unwind, and go to sleep effortlessly. I had some mild self-inflicted insomnia before (too much thinking...), but I haven't had a problem since. Ironically, it has also completely removed any trace of my already mild Asthma. :p

Like all aspects of life, moderation is key here. You can definitely do well in business while also smoking marijuana. I personally am more productive in the days, as my sleep schedule is much more stable. :smxF:

Last edited:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I recommend this.

I've been smoking weed for the past few months (ever since I moved to California– go figure!), and I must say it complements my life quite well.

Of course, I only smoke late at night (10pm-12pm), as it DRASTICALLY cuts into productivity.

Great way to relax, unwind, and go to sleep effortlessly. I had some mild self-inflicted insomnia before (too much thinking...), but I haven't had a problem since. Ironically, it has also completely removed any trace of my already mild Asthma. :p

Like all aspects of life, moderation is key here. You can definitely do well in business while also smoking marijuana. I personally am more productive in the days, as my sleep schedule is much more stable. :smxF:

MikeC,

You're young-- many of us went through similar things in our 20s (not a bad thing-- part of discovering who you are as a person).

Pot taught me how to relax. How to breathe deeply, let go, and stop worrying about stuff.

Thing is-- once you know how to do all that, you don't need the weed to do it.

-Russ H.

PS Had a close friend who started smoking weed to help him get to sleep. Years later, he'd become so dependent on it that he literally could *not* get to sleep unless he toked, big time. And his quality of sleep had become terrible: Nightmares, restlessness, waking up in cold sweats.

He got so paranoid he started sleeping w/a gun under his pillow.

This was someone who had really become dependent on it.

He stopped it about 10 years ago. He was a nutcase at first-- and no fun to be around (VERY cranky).

But now he's mellow, and kind, and -- surprise-- he sleeps way better than before.

Again, just examples from my life, so I'm not saying this will work (or not work) for others.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.