The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Male mental health question: TW for attempted suicide

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Nah.

I messaged the girl. She was shocked to hear about this thread but thankful for some of the advice.
Too much virtual signaling in the short story. Unnecessarily naming as “male mental issue” to start a gender warfare. A story designed to provoke the debate between “you should leave him” versus “people who advised her to leave him are heartless”.

A duplicate post from Reddit seems like a nail in the coffin.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Too much virtual signaling in the short story. Unnecessarily naming as “male mental issue” to start a gender warfare. A story designed to provoke the debate between “you should leave him” versus “people who advised her to leave him are heartless”.

A duplicate post from Reddit seems like a nail in the coffin.

The girl from Reddit appears to be legitimately going through a tough time.

The OP is just some retard from Argentina or a shitty bot. I think you're giving him too much credit, lol.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
My question is, have any of you gone through this before? If so, what would you have liked for people to do to help you? self-development Was there anything in particular that made you feel better? What kinds of things did you want to be told? I want to be there and support my boyfriend as best I can, but I have no idea what to say or do to make him feel more comfortable and safe when he's checked out from the facility.

I believe we have our answer.

"self-development" was edited to link to <link removed by mod - but good catch>

@MJ DeMarco

Last edited:

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
My first question upon reading the OP:
Why are you asking entrepreneurs about suicide help? Why aren't you posting someplace where licensed psychotherapists hang out?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
My first question upon reading the OP:
Why are you asking entrepreneurs about suicide help? Why aren't you posting someplace where licensed psychotherapists hang out?

Coz we are all certifiable here, mmmmkey?? ;)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I want to add another thing to this thread. Namely, our social conditioning teaches us to just follow the instructions. That you are entitled to everything without effort or struggle. Don't think for yourself. Everyone deserves a participation prize. No one needs to develop any character or adopt an ethics.

It's this and the overblown expectations society instills in us that is part of the problem. When reality doesn't match our expectations and we never excercise our mind our mental health suffers.

You are a stimulus response machine.

The solution is never to look for the answer within you but to look outwards.

And ask yourself this question: Why don't they(society) want you to look inwards? What are they scared of? I think that there is too much to lose for someone to stop being a sheep and stimulus response machine.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've been in your position. It is not easy. Its very easy to become codependent and lose yourself in all this. In fact, its the path of least resistance and unless you're trained on how to avoid it, it will happen to you. Please actively seek out professional help for yourself.

You probably also need to set a time limit on how long you can support your boyfriend in your current capacity. What happens if nothing changes in 10 years? Its possible for that to happen. Is this how you want to live your life over the long term? These are tough questions, and hopefully things improve and you never need to seriously ask them, but its something to keep in the back of your mind.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
My(21F) boyfriend (21M) was admitted into a psychiatric hospital this morning.

Two weeks ago, he tried to commit suicide and I had to hold him down to stop him from hurting himself. He ended up hurting me during the struggle, and he still feels ashamed and guilty.

This all started when his doctor told him to get off of his antidepressants, and he just spiraled down into rock bottom.

Ever since his attempted suicide, it feels like he's just had one crisis after another. I've had to take off of work to be on suicide watch, even though we need the money. He's kept me up till 2 AM on work nights. On my second day back at work, he called me and told me that he hurt himself. I rushed home to find him buried in blankets, crying bc he had smashed his fists against his thighs until there were bruises.

In the middle of all of this, our anniversary came and passed. Neither of us celebrated or even acknowledged it because of his depression and suicide attempt.

I love him so much. My heart hurts for him and I hate that I'm powerless to help him. I'm mentally exhausted and just burnt out from everything. Getting him admitted into a facility seemed like our only option while he's off medication. I've been encouraging him every day with words of affirmation and so many hugs. I took on the housework and cooking, and I'm the only one working while he goes through all of this. Even when he's mean to me or loses his temper, I don't take it personally because I've been there before and it is a terrifying thing to not be able to control overwhelming emotions and racing thoughts.

My question is, have any of you gone through this before? If so, what would you have liked for people to do to help you? <sneaky link removed by mod> Was there anything in particular that made you feel better? What kinds of things did you want to be told? I want to be there and support my boyfriend as best I can, but I have no idea what to say or do to make him feel more comfortable and safe when he's checked out from the facility.

Extra info:

We live together. We've been together for 2 years. He wasn't like this before he was taken off of medication. He also has an anxiety disorder.

You're a 21 year old girl - you aren't qualified to deal with this stuff (99% of people aren't). And you shouldn't have to.

Get out of this relationship. It's horrible that this happened, but it isn't your responsibility. He needs to fix this own his own life. Don't get dragged down with him.

Leave.

Stopped reading like 10% through. Leave anyone who is f*cked up enough to hurt themselves.

I'm not "Captain save-a-hoe". Thats my motto. I don't date headaches. I don't hire headaches. I don't befriend headaches. My life is awesome. All the headache people are in some other place giving other people headaches. Not me. I have a cheerful girlfriend. Cheerful customers. Cheerful employees. Cheerful friends. I love myself and don't want my life to suck.

Give that dude a Chinese name: Long Gon

You probably won't listen, and you'll continue to have a shit ton of problems. Oh well. Pat yourself on the back for being supportive I guess.

Best advice in this thread. It sounds callous, but this is how you have to be to have a great life.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Doesn’t sound like written by someone in early 20s either. Likely a troll making up a story baiting for replys to tell her to leave her bf, so that she can watch on the sideline and laugh at people online quarreling over the moral dillemma.
So what? The issues are deeply human. When someone does commit suicide, people don't talk about them anymore. It's way too painful. My husband's nephew did that in his teen years. It's been years and it still hurts. The family still wonder what they could have done better to prevent Brandon's death. I have tenant who lost her 16 year old daughter and no one knows IF it was accident or intentional. We just know that the girl is gone. Suicide hurt everyone around the person. I think it worthy of talking about or I wouldn't be posting.

BlackPebbles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 25, 2016

Two weeks ago, he tried to commit suicide and I had to hold him down to stop him from hurting himself. He ended up hurting me during the struggle, and he still feels ashamed and guilty.

This all started when his doctor told him to get off of his antidepressants, and he just spiraled down into rock bottom.

Ever since his attempted suicide, it feels like he's just had one crisis after another. I've had to take off of work to be on suicide watch, even though we need the money. He's kept me up till 2 AM on work nights. On my second day back at work, he called me and told me that he hurt himself. I rushed home to find him buried in blankets, crying bc he had smashed his fists against his thighs until there were bruises.

In the middle of all of this, our anniversary came and passed. Neither of us celebrated or even acknowledged it because of his depression and suicide attempt.

I love him so much. My heart hurts for him and I hate that I'm powerless to help him. I'm mentally exhausted and just burnt out from everything. Getting him admitted into a facility seemed like our only option while he's off medication. I've been encouraging him every day with words of affirmation and so many hugs. I took on the housework and cooking, and I'm the only one working while he goes through all of this. Even when he's mean to me or loses his temper, I don't take it personally because I've been there before and it is a terrifying thing to not be able to control overwhelming emotions and racing thoughts.

My question is, have any of you gone through this before? If so, what would you have liked for people to do to help you? <sneaky link removed by mod> Was there anything in particular that made you feel better? What kinds of things did you want to be told? I want to be there and support my boyfriend as best I can, but I have no idea what to say or do to make him feel more comfortable and safe when he's checked out from the facility.

Extra info:

We live together. We've been together for 2 years. He wasn't like this before he was taken off of medication. He also has an anxiety disorder.
I don’t post much, but this is my wheelhouse. As a paramedic charged with scooping up suicidal people at risk, I want to tell you that it is not your job to be on suicide watch and that every single person has a breaking point in caring for others.

If someone is telling you that they are at imminent risk of harm, move the duty to the medical profession. So, when you receive those calls or someone is trying to kill themselves in front of you, call the professionals immediately. You do not have to carry the burden alone, and I have told countless families that it is ok to ask us help.

Regular folks with no mental health training just damage themselves by trying endlessly to help. When he comes home, your job is to be kind and do only what you have honest capacity to do. And if it flares up again and there is imminent risk - Call for back up again. Tell him gently that you will call for support if it gets to that point again.

You are not responsible for the mental health of another unless you are causing it, they are your child, or you’re choosing to do it for a job.

Be kind. Ask for professional help. That’s it in the nutshell.

Last edited by a moderator:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think it worthy of talking about or I wouldn't be posting

I look at it the same way. Even if we are being “played”, it’s worth discussing as it can help someone.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If this whole thing was a link building exercise for someone, we should link to their competitors and whoever is suing them, and maybe burn their image in effigy. Asking people for help (or stealing a help post from reddit, whatever it was) only to use them in a sick advertising scheme, to build authority for a scam product targeting people who need non-scam help. Wow. Talk about low.

Trash heap material here.

@Andy Black The links are still in all the posts above where the url was quoted... so the forum is sending juice to these scammers. Any chance we can delete those links too?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black The links are still in all the posts above where the url was quoted... so the forum is sending juice to these scammers. Any chance we can delete those links too?
Done. That was painful.

I now want to ban OP if it’s not been done already.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don’t post much, but this is my wheelhouse. As a paramedic charged with scooping up suicidal people at risk, I want to tell you that it is not your job to be on suicide watch and that every single person has a breaking point in caring for others.

If someone is telling you that they are at imminent risk of harm, move the duty to the medical profession. So, when you receive those calls or someone is trying to kill themselves in front of you, call the professionals immediately. You do not have to carry the burden alone, and I have told countless families that it is ok to ask us help.

Regular folks with no mental health training just damage themselves by trying endlessly to help. When he comes home, your job is to be kind and do only what you have honest capacity to do. And if it flares up again and there is imminent risk - Call for back up again. Tell him gently that you will call for support if it gets to that point again.

You are not responsible for the mental health of another unless you are causing it, they are your child, or you’re choosing to do it for a job.

Be kind. Ask for professional help. That’s it in the nutshell.

In the memory of Millennial's and Generation Z who have lost their lives the last ten years I've seen bullied every day online and bullied on many different platforms. Another side of Suicide! R.I.P.

Sorry, but this thread just pisses me off with the comments.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecr-18fPtDQ

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
In the memory of Millennial's and Generation Z who have lost their lives the last ten years I've seen bullied every day online and bullied on many different platforms. Another side of Suicide! R.I.P.

Sorry, but this thread just pisses me off with the comments.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecr-18fPtDQ
We can only see life through the lens of our own experiences. Each of us has our own version of reality. It is difficult for someone else to see and understand life through your lens. I don't think being offended will help others to see your point of view. No matter our net worth or income, we are all trying to make it just one more day. Some days are harder than others.

I wish you well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
We can only see life through the lens of our own experiences. Each of us has our own version of reality. It is difficult for someone else to see and understand life through your lens. I don't think being offended will help others to see your point of view. No matter our net worth or income, we are all trying to make it just one more day. Some days are harder than others.

I wish you well.
I understand what you're saying. I just have seen this online for quite awhile where people are bullied and they will even tell them to go harm themselves deliberately and some of them do then go harm themselves after a lot of psychological games.

I've watched this for years on many different forums and social media platforms and I don't go looking for, it's just in many threads.

It's not really being offended. It's being an advocate understanding if people don't start speaking up, and start saying this and stand up for the cause, then people will keep doing it, believing they have no "Responsibility" in the "Words" they use through "Verbal Abuse".
Cause and Effect. While many in the forum can take a lot of stuff like Dan Pena fortunately, outside the forum not everyone can handle it.

It's almost like saying in domestic violence, "I'm not responsible if I punch you or shoot you." It is physical violence so you can see the wounds from someone punching you or shooting you.

When you're speaking of bullying, verbal abuse, and psychological abuse you can't see the wounds because it is internal.

In society we prevent physical harm of violence, but then we condone violence against the psychological and emotional process. Why do you think we have Mental Health? It's common sense to know why many people have Mental Health issues in society. It's sure not just from physical and sexual abuse.

No, you can't stop someone from suicide if they choose too. You are not responsible for the choice they make. What you are responsible for is if you contributed to the situation and caused harm by the words you used in a very negative way.

Then I've heard a zillion times, "I can say whatever I want too, and I'm not responsible if you harm yourself." This is a broken record I've heard for the last 10 years. It gets so old hearing humanity tell me, they're "Not Responsible".

See those two words there. "Not Responsible". "I am not responsible for my mouth."

I know this isn't a Christian Forum, but just pointing out , I think around 1995, I was reading a book called, "Me and My Big Mouth", by Joyce Meyers. There are all kinds of books on the subject in different genres. I just never meet too many people who ever measure up with words that come out of their mouth.

Then I even get told I'm weak because I discipline my mouth. No, I do the best to be responsible with my words and knowing the impact I have on others psychologically and emotionally.

In the Entrepreneur World it's not useful between men in their anger, frustration, and heated discussions I've seen on here.

Sure, we need to build a thick skin. Although, when your suicidal in most cases, you're not at the level of Entrepreneur. Your at the bottom of the totem pole.
For the topic on Suicide:

This story is here is what I am talking about. I hope they continue to prosecute people because it happens too much online. As you see, she's using the free speech to get out of it. What we're saying is, "You can stand in front of someone and just abuse them as much as possible with words because it's free speech, break them down psychologically, and emotionally and not be held responsible.

I am just pointing out that in the world outside of this forum the rules are different and not about Entrepreneurship, Business, and competitors .

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I understand what you're saying. I just have seen this online for quite awhile where people are bullied and they will even tell them to go harm themselves deliberately and some of them do then go harm themselves after a lot of psychological games.

I've watched this for years on many different forums and social media platforms and I don't go looking for, it's just in many threads.

It's not really being offended. It's being an advocate understanding if people don't start speaking up, and start saying this and stand up for the cause, then people will keep doing it, believing they have no "Responsibility" in the "Words" they use through "Verbal Abuse".
Cause and Effect. While many in the forum can take a lot of stuff like Dan Pena fortunately, outside the forum not everyone can handle it.

It's almost like saying in domestic violence, "I'm not responsible if I punch you or shoot you." It is physical violence so you can see the wounds from someone punching you or shooting you.

When you're speaking of bullying, verbal abuse, and psychological abuse you can't see the wounds because it is internal.

In society we prevent physical harm of violence, but then we condone violence against the psychological and emotional process. Why do you think we have Mental Health? It's common sense to know why many people have Mental Health issues in society. It's sure not just from physical and sexual abuse.

No, you can't stop someone from suicide if they choose too. You are not responsible for the choice they make. What you are responsible for is if you contributed to the situation and caused harm by the words you used in a very negative way.

Then I've heard a zillion times, "I can say whatever I want too, and I'm not responsible if you harm yourself." This is a broken record I've heard for the last 10 years. It gets so old hearing humanity tell me, they're "Not Responsible".

See those two words there. "Not Responsible". "I am not responsible for my mouth."

I know this isn't a Christian Forum, but just pointing out , I think around 1995, I was reading a book called, "Me and My Big Mouth", by Joyce Meyers. There are all kinds of books on the subject in different genres. I just never meet too many people who ever measure up with words that come out of their mouth.

Then I even get told I'm weak because I discipline my mouth. No, I do the best to be responsible with my words and knowing the impact I have on others psychologically and emotionally.

In the Entrepreneur World it's not useful between men in their anger, frustration, and heated discussions I've seen on here.

Sure, we need to build a thick skin. Although, when your suicidal in most cases, you're not at the level of Entrepreneur. Your at the bottom of the totem pole.
For the topic on Suicide:

This story is here is what I am talking about. I hope they continue to prosecute people because it happens too much online. As you see, she's using the free speech to get out of it. What we're saying is, "You can stand in front of someone and just abuse them as much as possible with words because it's free speech, break them down psychologically, and emotionally and not be held responsible.

I am just pointing out that in the world outside of this forum the rules are different and not about Entrepreneurship, Business, and competitors .
I am glad that you explained your viewpoint. This is an example of differences of experiences. I am probably from an older generation than you because I have only heard and seen examples of cyber bullying, I have not experienced it personally that I am aware of. I lived life without social media and I believe I could do it again if needed.

I do agree that words have meaning and weight and we should all be more encouraging than discouraging. I do also think that there are those that are looking for opportunities to be offended.

I don't think that choosing who you associate with is cyberbullying or bullying at all. Not many of us are open enough to unconditionally include everyone in our circle.

I admit to a generational blind spot to identifying all forms of bullying. I am always learning, but I also have seen the bullying label tossed around pretty liberally. When a label is overused it loses its relevance.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Extra info:

I would caution you against soliciting advice on matters of this sort, from anonymous members of a forum like this. Regardless of whether they sympathize, empathize, or not, their personal / anecdotal experiences are just that, including mine. As the saying goes, "Opinions are like a@@holes. Everybody has one, they often stink and it's best not to air them in public." If you want to solve the problem, seek professional help. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe previously to social media we could not see it as Gen X and Baby Boomers, because the internet is pretty much all the psychological and emotional world of humanity. The internal world. Our thought process becomes words. There is no physical body walking around, no materialism, no finances in the visual sense.

You had a library filled with books already written. You had bookstores with books already written. This is one sided communication. There is no comments, There is no discussion. There is no feedback.

If we did have discussions it was in small groups or seminars, workshops, or training somewhere offline with a limited number of people. Still you listened to what you were told. You were meant to accept what you were told as valid, true, and never questioned the authority, validity, and we never did the research to back it up.

Dr. Spock was the go to guy at the time. I'm not sure, he's so popular in 2021 for parenting, and perhaps is ideas weren't so great. We can see from Gen X we're often told we taught our children to be "Entitled" with what information I was given anyway from Parenting Courses, Parenting Magazines, and Parenting Books.

Social Media opened an new world. In 2021, it's a mess and now we're at a point of needing to clean up garbage of content on different platforms that really is like walking through a junkyard at times in some places with bad content from four generations.

If you write a good quality informational product it's pretty much going to stand out at this point I believe.

Suicide is just the aftermath of bad information given to us from external sources. We hear and see information. We make it our belief system. It can come from multiple sources. This is where we say those five people who surround us influence us the most in our decision making.

Those individuals I pointed out getting bullied are usually unaware at times they can move their eyes, ears, and physical body elsewhere. Especially if they're teens or in their early twenties. If they're younger then a teen as I've seen on Periscope, you have to ask where are the parents?

Suicide comes in many forms and I am just pointing out there are multiple variables in why people may choose this situation. The majority of people just believe you get depressed, your a loser, snowflake, and just die from suicide.

We tend to have limited thinking of why events occur.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe previously to social media we could not see it as Gen X and Baby Boomers, because the internet is pretty much all the psychological and emotional world of humanity. The internal world. Our thought process becomes words. There is no physical body walking around, no materialism, no finances in the visual sense.

You had a library filled with books already written. You had bookstores with books already written. This is one sided communication. There is no comments, There is no discussion. There is no feedback.

If we did have discussions it was in small groups or seminars, workshops, or training somewhere offline with a limited number of people. Still you listened to what you were told. You were meant to accept what you were told as valid, true, and never questioned the authority, validity, and we never did the research to back it up.

Dr. Spock was the go to guy at the time. I'm not sure, he's so popular in 2021 for parenting, and perhaps is ideas weren't so great. We can see from Gen X we're often told we taught our children to be "Entitled" with what information I was given anyway from Parenting Courses, Parenting Magazines, and Parenting Books.

Social Media opened an new world. In 2021, it's a mess and now we're at a point of needing to clean up garbage of content on different platforms that really is like walking through a junkyard at times in some places with bad content from four generations.

If you write a good quality informational product it's pretty much going to stand out at this point I believe.

Suicide is just the aftermath of bad information given to us from external sources. We hear and see information. We make it our belief system. It can come from multiple sources. This is where we say those five people who surround us influence us the most in our decision making.

Those individuals I pointed out getting bullied are usually unaware at times they can move their eyes, ears, and physical body elsewhere. Especially if they're teens or in their early twenties. If they're younger then a teen as I've seen on Periscope, you have to ask where are the parents?

Suicide comes in many forms and I am just pointing out there are multiple variables in why people may choose this situation. The majority of people just believe you get depressed, your a loser, snowflake, and just die from suicide.

We tend to have limited thinking of why events occur.
I watched this documentary back in in my family strategies course. This documentary is very informative, but it is not for the lighthearted. It brings awareness to see how some individuals with certain diagnosis speak about the topic.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
@Mattie I think I see where this is going. Who is ultimately responsible?

I am slanted toward individual responsibility. That is what drew me to investing, business, and entrepreneurship. I also know that not everyone is bent that way and it is different off this forum.

In my darkest moments I always believed I was where I was due to my choices. I had to have that belief to be able to dig myself out of my hole. I got me there and I was going to get me out.

I do not air my low points on social media, ever. That may be a generational thing but I also think it’s a privacy thing. I did talk to some close friends but I would never think of putting anything in public.

I will admit that had anyone provoked me during my darkest moments that it would have somehow ended badly. I did have a doctor receptionist that pulled a stunt with me in denying needed care. It was all I could do not to strike back physically. I was at a breaking point and it would not take much to push me over the edge.

But, even then, who is ultimately responsible if I had acted out and injured someone? I still feel the responsibility for my actions is mine and only mine. I do not want to believe I would ever give anyone the power to determine what I do in my life. Personal responsibility.

I also agree that I am responsible for what I say and how I say it. Anyone in sales and marketing would agree with that philosophy. If my client does not buy, what did I say or do that didn’t connect, didn’t get the desired outcome? I can only control myself and my message. I also felt that way as a teacher.

I agree parts of the internet are turning into a cesspool. What to do? Do we suppress everyone else’s speech and actions because someone is on the edge? Do we sacrifice the freedoms of everyone else because someone is on the edge and may be triggered?

There have always been people that have less social skills and say what they feel and there always will be. There are also those that err to the side of caution at the expense of liberty and always will be. These are tough dilemmas facing us, certainly not black and white.

It is good to advocate for your position and for those you represent. It is not good to get upset because someone expresses a different viewpoint. Polite exchanging points of view is good but it is a dying art.

We are going to have to navigate this life on this earth together. We will not all get what we want or our way. We have to work together to find solutions. Awareness is great, but history has shown us that some solutions can be worse than the original problem.

Certainly these are tough times.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
@Mattie I think I see where this is going. Who is ultimately responsible?

I am slanted toward individual responsibility. That is what drew me to investing, business, and entrepreneurship. I also know that not everyone is bent that way and it is different off this forum.

In my darkest moments I always believed I was where I was due to my choices. I had to have that belief to be able to dig myself out of my hole. I got me there and I was going to get me out.

I do not air my low points on social media, ever. That may be a generational thing but I also think it’s a privacy thing. I did talk to some close friends but I would never think of putting anything in public.

I will admit that had anyone provoked me during my darkest moments that it would have somehow ended badly. I did have a doctor receptionist that pulled a stunt with me in denying needed care. It was all I could do not to strike back physically. I was at a breaking point and it would not take much to push me over the edge.

But, even then, who is ultimately responsible if I had acted out and injured someone? I still feel the responsibility for my actions is mine and only mine. I do not want to believe I would ever give anyone the power to determine what I do in my life. Personal responsibility.

I also agree that I am responsible for what I say and how I say it. Anyone in sales and marketing would agree with that philosophy. If my client does not buy, what did I say or do that didn’t connect, didn’t get the desired outcome? I can only control myself and my message. I also felt that way as a teacher.

I agree parts of the internet are turning into a cesspool. What to do? Do we suppress everyone else’s speech and actions because someone is on the edge? Do we sacrifice the freedoms of everyone else because someone is on the edge and may be triggered?

There have always been people that have less social skills and say what they feel and there always will be. There are also those that err to the side of caution at the expense of liberty and always will be. These are tough dilemmas facing us, certainly not black and white.

It is good to advocate for your position and for those you represent. It is not good to get upset because someone expresses a different viewpoint. Polite exchanging points of view is good but it is a dying art.

We are going to have to navigate this life on this earth together. We will not all get what we want or our way. We have to work together to find solutions. Awareness is great, but history has shown us that some solutions can be worse than the original problem.

Certainly these are tough times.
I agree a hundred percent. I believe people have to get to this point though of knowing what "Responsibility" is all about. We have had a lot of co-dependent behavior since my Grand Parents Generation Traditionalists. I think pretty much Gen X like myself were given a lot of stuff from Baby Boomers. They helped their children a lot in many ways.

I believe in our midlife-crisis since 2003 with the older ones then me until 2008 we all kind of had to learn the hard way that life wasn't going to be the way it was in our 20's and 30's. Not saying all of us had it easy, but many of us did.

It goes with the idea I read about a Millionaire some where that made his son get fired a lot and the father paid for him to be fired so he would learn what "Responsibility" was about long-term.

I made the same mistake with my child when they were young. I bought all the materialism, and sure we both hit a hard patch of "Reality".

I'm all for nice cars, fashion, houses, and materialism. I just learned the fact that life wasn't the way I thought it was at face value in my wealthy neighborhood. Going to school, you learned all about the brands, the fashion, the fast cars, the gadgets, but had no clue about the actual process of building "Real Wealth". Nor the keeping up with the Jones's where credit card debt, loans, and the charging up materialism to look "Wealthy" at face value.

I remember this one girl charged up so much money on fashionable clothes, and she was $60,000 in debt on credit card. This is where I seen many of Gen X, just believe you didn't have to actually build your empire, but just have it handed over on a silver platter when we were younger.

I learned it all in here since 2014. Then it all made sense where I came from. I laugh at this, because I just wasn't paying attention as much as I should have been. I've always been surrounded by Entrepreneurs. I think when your in the middle of it, you see it so much that it doesn't stand out. When you stand away from it, you can see it clearly.

I didn't expect to see this topic in this forum. I was quite surprised. Suicide is not normally a topic I like to talk about personally. Although, I suppose this thread has allowed me to talk about it and express myself about stuff I've seen online.

The personal feelings involved your aiming at comes from five friends in my life time that passed away without warning, and I never had a chance to help them. And it's sucks because you wish you could have at least had a chance to say something. I understand it was their choice. If I get upset, I know it's still something I need to make peace with and let go of if it's a emotional trigger.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
@Mattie I appreciate and respect your point of view. I share a similar vision: that of a sense of duty to my fellow man.

However, I understand the world to be as such, recognizing I inherit some of these perspectives from my life experiences, as @Runum pointed out.

For example I study and recognize as one of my idols the historic Marcus Aurelius. In his meditations, he journals a sense of duty towards his fellow man. I'm also a student of another great character I have learned about from the writings of Xenopohn - This man is Cyrus the Great (and my profile picture if anyone had ever noticed).

Below is a series of words that have a deep influence on how I see the world:

1631735147046.png

At my computer, on the forum, engaged by interesting and relevant dialogue, when a topic speaks to me, and I have words of courage, what I do is I take a stand - especially when I have the capacity and willingness to do so. This emotion seems to resonate with others also as evidenced by 3 pages of quality advice.

To the extent with which I can, I feel a sense of duty to present a perspective of life which is empowering and liberating. If this forum continues to be hosted, indexed and queried on the internet, these words can find another human being and educate the audience with such a wide set of life experiences and mental models. This has tremendous value to me, and I image @Mattie you might resonate with these thoughts.

On the topic of feeling anger towards someone you're in disagreement with, take this quote from Marcus Aurelius and see if it helps you:

"Today I am going to encounter people who are ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, and hostile. People have these characteristics because they do not understand what is good and what is bad. In so far as I have comprehended the true nature of what is good, namely that it is fine and noble, and the true nature of what is bad, that it is shameful, and the true nature of the person who has gone astray: that he is just like me, not only in the physical sense, but also with respect to intelligence and having a portion of the divine - in so far as I have comprehended all this, I can neither be hassled by any of them, for no one else can involve me in what is shameful and debasing, nor can I be angry with my fellow man or hate him, for we have been made for cooperation, just like the feet, the hands, the eyelids, and the upper and lower teeth. To hinder one another, then, is contrary to Nature, and this is exactly what happens when we are angry and turn away from each other."

-
MA Meditations Book 2 verse 1

To everyone that poured their hearts out to help this person, know that whether imaginary, written by a bot, a scam, or not, what does not change is the situation described does manifest frequently in our world. Many of you recognized the emotions and moral dilemmas in this poor girls story. Knowing that at a minimum, the people that commented in here read the advice you shared, you might find joy that your perspective can be cast to this network of beings, and it might have a lasting impact deep inside someone's subconscious.

I never underestimate this potential - and I applaud all the members of this "entrepreneurial" forum for being leaders inside and outside of business alike.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
"Today I am going to encounter people who are ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, and hostile. People have these characteristics because they do not understand what is good and what is bad. In so far as I have comprehended the true nature of what is good, namely that it is fine and noble, and the true nature of what is bad, that it is shameful, and the true nature of the person who has gone astray: that he is just like me, not only in the physical sense, but also with respect to intelligence and having a portion of the divine - in so far as I have comprehended all this, I can neither be hassled by any of them, for no one else can involve me in what is shameful and debasing, nor can I be angry with my fellow man or hate him, for we have been made for cooperation, just like the feet, the hands, the eyelids, and the upper and lower teeth. To hinder one another, then, is contrary to Nature, and this is exactly what happens when we are angry and turn away from each other."
Thank you for the awesome words and insight. I am very inspired by your post with Greek Wisdom. You have to love this stuff when we read the wise words of Ancient Greeks. I thank you as well for the wisdom you've shared yourself.

It is hard at times to stand in your authentic truth and say things that other people might not want to hear, agree with, and may disagree with in their experience. I do have a sense of Duty at times depending on the situation.

I choose my battles wisely. This one just really is one that I do back up because it is not talked about enough in society. It's a taboo subject in most conversations. It really needs to be heard and voiced since I have done the research, the statistics, and even Gen X and Baby Boomers have had lost some of their generation to suicide.

It is all about "Saving Lives" for me personally. I mean if you can teach someone to get from there to hear as an Entrepreneur mindset, you've done your job and brought them to life. You've helped them find a purpose driven life. You've taught them to value themselves and turn around and add value to society in whatever way they choose to provide service to humanity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.